PDA

View Full Version : Lasik

Hamhock
7/24/2006, 08:12 AM
Why shouldn't I?

Lemme hear your horror stories. First hand accounts only. I don't want to hear about the co-workers cousin's plumber who went blind.

BajaOklahoma
7/24/2006, 08:14 AM
I'm not stupid enough to do it since my opthomologist won't let his family get it done. (family friends)

Hamhock
7/24/2006, 08:15 AM
I'm not stupid enough to do it since my opthomologist won't let his family get it done. (family friends)

Has he given you a reason?

Boomer.....
7/24/2006, 08:36 AM
I have only heard good things.

colleyvillesooner
7/24/2006, 08:38 AM
I had it done two years ago. I went from 20/100 to 20/20 in 15 minutes. No drawbacks, other than my eyes hurt on the way home. They gave me a sleepy pill and when I woke up in the morning, all good. Night driving is a little wierd at first, some halos on car headlights, but they gradually go away.

As some one who had glasses since I was 4 (and only because I wouldn't sit still for the exam at 3) I love it. Do it again in a heartbeat.

Hamhock
7/24/2006, 08:39 AM
I had it done two years ago. I went from 20/100 to 20/20 in 15 minutes. No drawbacks, other than my eyes hurt on the way home. They gave me a sleepy pill and when I woke up in the morning, all good. Night driving is a little wierd at first, some halos on car headlights, but they gradually go away.

As some one who had glasses since I was 4 (and only because I wouldn't sit still for the exam at 3) I love it. Do it again in a heartbeat.

Where did you get it done? How much $$?

colleyvillesooner
7/24/2006, 08:45 AM
Where did you get it done? How much $$?

A place in Dallas called Vision Quest. When I got it done, they were a non advertising office. They relied on word of mouth and referrals, and they were packed. My dad had it done at the same office and was really happy with it.

It was $1500 an eye, which covered the initial tests to see if you are a canidate, the surgery, and the 5 follow up appointments. It's on the high side, but the attention to detail and personal attention I received was well worth it. I've heard at some of the "radio" places you can feel like one of the sheep, hearded in and out. Just what I heard.

But I had astigmatism. The doctor had only done one other person with a higher +/- than me. He said there was a 50% chance I would have to have it touched up, due to the severeity of my astigmatism, but I never did. Everytime I went in for a check up, he would get the interns and bring them in and show them my chart, and then tell them that I didn't need a touch up.

I know some people are weary and the whole "Well, know one knows what will happen when someone has it for 50 years." is out there, but I highly recommend it.

Vaevictis
7/24/2006, 08:47 AM
Make sure you ask the doctor if the shape of your cornea makes you a good candidate. My mother has a certain shape to hers, and as a result, she can't safely get lasik; she had one of the better docs in the nation, and he said that some would have missed it.

Also, depending on your job (and jobs you may want to look at in the future), you may not want to get lasik. There are some jobs (pilots in the AF for example) that apparently don't like lasik and have substitute procedures.

Vaevictis
7/24/2006, 08:48 AM
I know some people are weary and the whole "Well, know one knows what will happen when someone has it for 50 years." is out there, but I highly recommend it.

IMO, that's beyond paranoid. Hell, people's eyeballs tend to go off after 50 years without any kind of alteration anyway.

colleyvillesooner
7/24/2006, 08:50 AM
Make sure you ask the doctor if the shape of your cornea makes you a good candidate. My mother has a certain shape to hers, and as a result, she can't safely get lasik; she had one of the better docs in the nation, and he said that some would have missed it.

This is a must. That's why liked the place I went to. They dilated my eyes and ran me through a battery of tests for an hour, then SUPER dilated my eyes and ran more tests. They were really thorough. I cringe every time I hear the Radio ads for "specials" being run.

Hamhock
7/24/2006, 08:51 AM
There's a place in Tulsa called Triad. Their doc did the first Lasik in Oklahoma and I know a few people who had their surgery there.

BajaOklahoma
7/24/2006, 09:36 AM
Jeff has some concerns about the effects 20 years down the road (sorry Colley), limitations on how many times it can be done. They are not recommending it for those with jobs requiring intensive visual acuity (lab techs for example).
My s-i-l had it done in May. One eye is fine, the other is not. Supposedly she is going to have a second surgery on it, but they are still waiting for it to heal or something. She is still wearing glasses anyway. She is pretty upset about it.
And I know an optometrist who had it done and loved it.

C&CDean
7/24/2006, 09:48 AM
1. ALL of the docs out there pre-screen for candidacy.
2. You shouldn't have it done until your eyes have matured (35-40+).
3. Best voluntary medical procedure EVAR.

I had mine done about 6-7 years ago - hell, maybe 8. The only reason I had it done was because wearing glasses was seriously affecting my hunting. Rain, sleet, fog when it was cold, etc. kept impairing my vision when in the field. ****ed me off big time. I had lasik, and have not missed a big game shot since. Pretty dang high percentage on varmints/smaller game too. Also, it's much more convenient to use binoculars without having glasses on.

I highly recommend it. Having to use cheapo reading glasses to see very small print (like on an aspirin bottle or something) is a small trade-off to be able to hunt, watch sports, etc. without glasses.

And I paid $499 per eye. I can't see paying $2K+ for the exact same procedure. The excuse of "well, you've only got one set of eyes" doesn't cut it. So, I'm supposed to give you $4K extra to let you do the exact same procedure with the exact same equipment and the exact same training? Nope. Had it done in Ft. Worth. Can't remember the name of the company, but it was something like Laservision USA or something like that.

King Crimson
7/24/2006, 10:03 AM
my pops had it done and much like Dean says he rarely misses quail or pheasant anymore and always hits the right club at the golf course.

Hamhock
7/24/2006, 10:08 AM
[QUOTE=C&CDean]1. ALL of the docs out there pre-screen for candidacy.
2. You shouldn't have it done until your eyes have matured (35-40+).
3. Best voluntary medical procedure EVAR.

I had mine done about 6-7 years ago - hell, maybe 8. The only reason I had it done was because wearing glasses was seriously affecting my hunting. Rain, sleet, fog when it was cold, etc. kept impairing my vision when in the field. QUOTE]

that's the main reason i'm having it done. i'm sick of trying to make sure my glasses are in the perfect position, after I'm looking through the peep. they also cause double vision looking down at the sights.

what's your reasoning for #2?

C&CDean
7/24/2006, 10:13 AM
[QUOTE=C&CDean]what's your reasoning for #2?

I was told by the doc that the results were much better/permanent if your eyes were "older." Of course he could be full of **** - like the ones who say "I'm Dr. Bellardo, and I've done 9 brazillion lasik procedures so you should feel comfortable spending $2500 per eye....." when in reality, some chick assistant getting some procedures under her belt is the one who actually pushes the button to start the procedure.

Sooners78
7/24/2006, 10:19 AM
I had it done in Houston 5 years ago. I was about 20-600 in both eyes. Now, I'm slightly better than 20-20. I've had no problems. Camping and swimming are much more enjoyable now. Not having to care for my contacts saves me time in the morning and the money I've saved on lenses and supplies has more than paid for the surgery. It cost 1100/eye in 2001, and was one of the best investments I've ever made.

Surgery was painless, but the stabilizer they placed on my eyeball exerted so much pressure, I thought it was going to crush my eyeball. My pupils were dilated for about 48 hours. I had to stay inside with the blinds closed. They did the surgery on Friday and I was able to return to work on Monday.

colleyvillesooner
7/24/2006, 11:00 AM
Ham,

I misquoted the price. Mine was $1500 an eye, not $2500. For some reason I had 2500 stuck in my head, but after reading some other people's posts, I checked my emails, and found I was wrong.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
7/24/2006, 11:04 AM
DO IT! I had mine done two years ago on my right eye only. I was like Quasimodo before that because I could see fine out of my left eye (20/40) but my right eye I was close to blind (20/450). Looking through my right eye was like trying to see through saran wrap. After the surgery I am now 20/15.

Dr. Belardo did my surgery. He also did SoonerBball's and his twin's surgery because they were as blind as me in both eyes.

Hamhock
7/24/2006, 11:10 AM
I called.

basic is $2,700 but there is a "custom" lasik? what does this mean? why would they offer a substandard procedure for $2,700 and the "really good" one for an extra grand?

i felt like i was talking to a car salesman.

so, did anyone pay the extrey coin for the "custom"?

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
7/24/2006, 11:11 AM
Oh and I paid $900 for the one eye.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
7/24/2006, 11:12 AM
I called.

basic is $2,700 but there is a "custom" lasik? what does this mean? why would they offer a substandard procedure for $2,700 and the "really good" one for an extra grand?

i felt like i was talking to a car salesman.

so, did anyone pay the extrey coin for the "custom"?Custom just means that everyone's eyes are different. Some people may not need the regular Lasik but if their cornea is shaped differently or something they may need a more specialized procedure

Joe
7/24/2006, 11:15 AM
http://www.fda.gov/cdrh/lasik/

AMSooner
7/24/2006, 11:39 AM
With custom you get a more accurate result if you have a condition like astigmatism. My husband and I both had it done over a year ago. I was a perfect candidate and I went from 20/600 in both eyes to 20/15. My husband had astigmatism but didn't do the custom and is about 20/30 in both eyes. We both consider it the best money we ever spent. Mine was $700 per eye.

C&CDean
7/24/2006, 11:42 AM
With custom you get a more accurate result if you have a condition like astigmatism. My husband and I both had it done over a year ago. I was a perfect candidate and I went from 20/600 in both eyes to 20/15. My husband had astigmatism but didn't do the custom and is about 20/30 in both eyes. We both consider it the best money we ever spent. Mine was $700 per eye.

Where have you been young lady?

AMSooner
7/24/2006, 11:50 AM
Where have you been young lady?

Around, just not posting much. I moved and got knocked up, so I've been pretty busy. ;) We're expecting a boy in December so I'm hoping I can make it to all the games this year.

C&CDean
7/24/2006, 01:31 PM
Around, just not posting much. I moved and got knocked up, so I've been pretty busy. ;) We're expecting a boy in December so I'm hoping I can make it to all the games this year.

Well you better bring your knocked-up self around to a tailgate.

Cam
7/30/2006, 06:15 PM
I did it 4-5 years ago. Best 2K I've ever spent. Just don't try to use regular eye drops after you've had the procedure. Big time mistake...

StoopTroup
7/30/2006, 06:47 PM
I have 20/15 in both eyes.

I have no understanding of what you all are talking about.

Okla-homey
7/30/2006, 08:13 PM
I was gonna do eet, but my doc said a) my eyes were'nt bad enough yet and b) if he had done it, its basically one per customer per life and when my eyes did get worse with age, I'd be back in glasses/contacts.

My contact Rx is +1.00 and +1.50.

Rogue
7/30/2006, 08:23 PM
First Hand: I am pretty nearsighted, something like 20/100 and 20/80. My last 2 jobs I've been down the hall from the Chief Opthalmologist's office. Both became work friends and both examined me and both advised against it. Reasons were: 1) lack of long term research 2) risk risk risk 3) they both wear glasses and won't get it themselves so they couldn't recommend it to me in good conscience.

Second Hand: I've heard lots of good results and lots of horror stories. The worst horror story is that my best bud's wife got herpes in her eye from the surgery. No, she's not a millionaire from it either.

Usually with things like this it seems that everyone that has done it thinks that everyone else should too. Not so much with Lasik; the results still seem too mixed. I'll keep dealing with fogged-up glasses that are a pain in the *** most of the time, but not so risky.

SoonerInKCMO
7/30/2006, 08:39 PM
I was gonna do eet, but my doc said a) my eyes were'nt bad enough yet and b) if he had done it, its basically one per customer per life and when my eyes did get worse with age, I'd be back in glasses/contacts.

-6.0 and -6.5 here. You just need to sack up and squint. :twinkies:

Hamhock
7/31/2006, 08:26 AM

same Rx as me.

My conversation with the doc:

Hamhock: "In your professional opinion, do you recommend the custom or regular?"

Doc: "Custom. I always recommend the custom."

Hamhock: "So, if custom is the better way to go, and you always recommend custom, Why do you even perform an inferior procedure?"

Doc: "Uh.......Uhm....'Cause it was the first one approved by the FDA".

Hamhock: "Have a nice day".

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
7/31/2006, 08:40 AM
Sounds like you went to an inferior doctor.

For me, the optometrist I went to at another said I was a candidate and scheduled my surgery with Dr. Belardo. When I went to Dr. Belardo's office the week of my surgery, Dr. Goodman told me he couldn't in good conscience schedule the surgery for that week, because I was ambliopic and my right eye had basically quit trying to see because the left was doing all the work. For the next few months, I did vision therapy, which basically was putting a slightly wrong prescription contact in my left eye to strengthen my right. The results post-surgery have been amazing.

I always felt like an idiot going to the optometrist, because until Dr. Goodman not a single one of those trolls had ever diagnosed me as ambliopic. I would complain that I could see just as well without correction as with it and they had no answer.

When he tested my vision after the therapy to see what it would be like post-surgery and he said 20/20, I cried.

LilSooner
7/31/2006, 09:04 AM

HOLY CRAP! Congrats!

TheHumanAlphabet
7/31/2006, 12:45 PM
There are some jobs (pilots in the AF for example) that apparently don't like lasik and have substitute procedures.

Cold weather and altitude creates havoc with the eye apparently. I don't know if I would want to permanently change the eye's shape, esp if I were a pilot. The Dallas surgeon that lost his hands while climbing Everest had Lasik and became blind on the mountain as the cold and alt. messed with his eye and he became "blinded" as the eye went out of focus. He couldn't see to get himself down off the mountain.

Skysooner
7/31/2006, 01:03 PM
Can't remember the name of the company, but it was something like Laservision USA or something like that.

I had it done at the same place for around $600 an eye almost 6 years ago now. I have 20/10, and it hasn't degenerated one little bit. A little halo issues the first 6 months at night, but it went away.

OUstud
7/31/2006, 01:23 PM
My grandpa had it done like 15 years ago, when it was a new, somewhat risky operation, and at 80 years old only wears very weak glasses for driving.

AMSooner
7/31/2006, 01:39 PM
HOLY CRAP! Congrats!

Thanks! :)

Okla-homey
7/31/2006, 01:39 PM
Cold weather and altitude creates havoc with the eye apparently. I don't know if I would want to permanently change the eye's shape, esp if I were a pilot. The Dallas surgeon that lost his hands while climbing Everest had Lasik and became blind on the mountain as the cold and alt. messed with his eye and he became "blinded" as the eye went out of focus. He couldn't see to get himself down off the mountain.

Note to self: Discourage Himalayan mountaineering expeditions by post-Lasik patients.;)

Hamhock
8/31/2006, 11:19 AM
Please re-read this thread.

If you are one of the ones recommending this procedure, please peem me your name, address and liability insurance carrier. If you want the service to go directly to your lawyer, include his name as well.

TIA

colleyvillesooner
8/31/2006, 11:23 AM
uh, no thanks. :D

Hamhock
8/31/2006, 01:22 PM
then meet me before the game Saturday so I can poke out your left eye.

then, we'll be even.

colleyvillesooner
8/31/2006, 01:25 PM
What happened?

Hamhock
8/31/2006, 01:38 PM
vision is worse than before. the flap didn't heal all the way.

all this for only $3,700.

C&CDean
8/31/2006, 01:45 PM
What kinda dumbass would pay $3700 for lasik?

Hamhock
8/31/2006, 01:47 PM
What kinda dumbass would pay $3700 for lasik that doesn't work?

that's a very good question.

C&CDean
8/31/2006, 01:48 PM
Dude, less than $1000 for both eyes 6-7 years ago and perfect (20/10) vision.

So, what are they gonna do to fix it?

colleyvillesooner
8/31/2006, 01:50 PM
That sucks. Ditto Dean's question.

mrowl
8/31/2006, 01:51 PM
the doc said it will heal up right? just take a little longer?

Hamhock
8/31/2006, 02:00 PM
I went to the "best" guy in Tulsa. He did the first Lasik in the state and has done 30,000 eyes.

there is no negotiation on the price. $2,700 for Lasik. An extra grand for "custom" lasik.

cells are forming where the flap heals back to the cornea. they may have to go in a and scrape them out and give the cornea another chance to attach normally.

1stTimeCaller
8/31/2006, 02:26 PM
God Bless, Hamhock. That is horrible and very scary. I'll say a prayer for you.

GottaHavePride
8/31/2006, 05:05 PM
Holy crap. that sucks.

Cam
8/31/2006, 08:08 PM
Sorry to hear that man. They better not be making you pay for any remaining procedures.

SoonerBBall
8/31/2006, 08:31 PM
I went to the "best" guy in Tulsa. He did the first Lasik in the state and has done 30,000 eyes.

there is no negotiation on the price. $2,700 for Lasik. An extra grand for "custom" lasik.

cells are forming where the flap heals back to the cornea. they may have to go in a and scrape them out and give the cornea another chance to attach normally.

Same thing happened to my friend after PRK. Sometimes **** happens.

My twin brother and I got regular LASIK from Belardo and payed $1000 per eye so that we never have to pay for adjustments if they are ever needed. I was an idiot and got mine done right before going back to school and working in a computer lab, so my vision that was 20/15 is not 20/20 two years later. It is the best decision I ever made and I would recommend Belardo to anyone. Dr. Goodman is the best optometrist I've ever been to and doesn't treat you like an idiot just because you aren't a doctor. He'll tell you straight up what is going on with your eyes and what he suggests. The rest of the staff is very professional and friendly and made me and my brother feel very welcome each time we visted the office.

Sorry that you had to be a statistic for the bad guys and not the good ones, but neither your case nor my friends will ever stop me from recommending the surgery to anyone who asks.

Rogue
8/31/2006, 08:42 PM
Sorry Hamhock. I'll be rootin' for you.