PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here familiar with Coach Green?

Statalyzer
7/24/2006, 01:27 AM
I ran into him in the grocery store. Just saw a guy in line with an OU hat on so I figured I would start a friendly football conversation and asked him if he was a big OU football fan.

Stranger: "You don't know who I am, do you?"
Me: "No."
Him: "You ever heard of Derrick Strait?"
Me: "Yes, he sure had some good games against my Longhorns."
Him: "Well I'm Coach Green." [I think he said his first name was Rodney]
Me: "Oh..."
Him: "I took Derrick in. I was his guardian."

I'm not sure quite what he's referring to about "taking Derrick in." Can anyone clue me in. Was this guy one of the assistant coaches at OU?

PS. The really odd thing about this was about an hour later I ran into former UT running back Butch Hadnot.

TheGodfather889
7/24/2006, 02:12 AM
Rodney Greene is Derrick Strait's dad. You'll find that info on Soonersports.com

Harry Beanbag
7/24/2006, 07:16 PM
PS. The really odd thing about this was about an hour later I ran into former UT running back Butch Hadnot.

Luckily, it wasn't Edwin Simmons. ;)

goingoneight
7/24/2006, 08:50 PM
I ran into AD one day on campus and woke up two weeks later in the hospital... :eek:

salth2o
7/25/2006, 11:54 AM
Luckily, it wasn't Edwin Simmons. ;)

Mr. Naked America...:)

1987. Texas running back Edwin Simmons is arrested by Austin police.
Simmons was found wandering around the campus area stoned on
marijuana and completely naked.

stoopified
7/25/2006, 01:34 PM
I thought Hadnot played at Tech?

Statalyzer
7/27/2006, 12:39 AM
Rodney Greene is Derrick Strait's dad.

Then why didn't he tell me he was Derrick Strait's dad, instead of guardian?

TheGodfather889
7/27/2006, 02:36 AM
The Wrapup:

On the preseason watch list for the Nagurskiand Thorpe Awards ... owns the longest streak of consecutive starts on the team at 40 ... holds these spots on OU's career lists: No. 2 in career pass deflections (43, one behind Roy Williams), No. 9 in tackles by a DB (190), No. 12 in interceptions (12) ... has a 40-inch vertical jump ... born: August 27, 1980 ... father: Rodney Greene ... major: sociology.

n8v_ndn
7/27/2006, 11:49 AM
I met Coach Green ~3 yrs ago at an Enterprise. He's a Austin area coach (retired?) who helped Derrick get ready for OU's 2-a-days coming out of high school. He was picking up a car on his way to Norman to see Derrick play.

He's very proud of Derrick and introduced himself as his guardian. All I can remember about Derrick's background was that his family (him and his mom) were homeless for a time and that life was as struggle for them.

By the way, I met a very bitter woman at the CenTex high school college fair a year ago (I was manning an OU booth). She said she helped Derrick with this and that (food, shoes, etc.) cuz he was a friend of her son and she felt sorry for him. "Now he's in the NFL--he can afford to pay us back." :rolleyes:

Me (with amused smile) "That's very Christian of you. You did all that out of the goodness of your heart...or in hopes of getting paid back someday?" :)

You get certain people at these things that have axes to grind for whatever reasons; sometimes you have to bite back, you know?

ADs_Agent
7/27/2006, 12:36 PM
that's ridiculous. You help somebody like that because you are a good person and a fellow human being needs it, not in hopes that they make it to the NFL and buy you something pretty.

msteudem
7/27/2006, 12:45 PM
I met Coach Green ~3 yrs ago at an Enterprise. He's a Austin area coach (retired?) who helped Derrick get ready for OU's 2-a-days coming out of high school. He was picking up a car on his way to Norman to see Derrick play.

He's very proud of Derrick and introduced himself as his guardian. All I can remember about Derrick's background was that his family (him and his mom) were homeless for a time and that life was as struggle for them.

By the way, I met a very bitter woman at the CenTex high school college fair a year ago (I was manning an OU booth). She said she helped Derrick with this and that (food, shoes, etc.) cuz he was a friend of her son and she felt sorry for him. "Now he's in the NFL--he can afford to pay us back." :rolleyes:

Me (with amused smile) "That's very Christian of you. You did all that out of the goodness of your heart...or in hopes of getting paid back someday?" :)

You get certain people at these things that have axes to grind for whatever reasons; sometimes you have to bite back, you know?

I'm glad that you set her "Strait" :D

n8v_ndn
7/27/2006, 03:28 PM
I'm glad that you set her "Strait" :D
LOL...geez. :D

The high school college fairs are pretty interesting down here. You get your share of "I bleed orange" types that will try to harass you, secret Sooner fans who blend in, and funny questions about the state of Oklahoma in general.

If anyone around these parts would like to participate on behalf of OU, we do this after the OU/tx game in mid-October. Contact me.

Statalyzer
7/28/2006, 07:39 PM
met Coach Green ~3 yrs ago at an Enterprise. He's a Austin area coach (retired?) who helped Derrick get ready for OU's 2-a-days coming out of high school. He was picking up a car on his way to Norman to see Derrick play.

By the way, I met a very bitter woman at the CenTex high school college fair a year ago (I was manning an OU booth). She said she helped Derrick with this and that (food, shoes, etc.) cuz he was a friend of her son and she felt sorry for him. "Now he's in the NFL--he can afford to pay us back."

Me (with amused smile) "That's very Christian of you. You did all that out of the goodness of your heart...or in hopes of getting paid back someday?"

What a dumbass woman.

TheGodfather889
7/29/2006, 01:41 AM
"We hate to break it to Texas fans, but OU football isn't dead. It's not even running a temperature."
-Kirk Bohls
Austin American-Statesman 7/27/06
Nice siggy.