PDA

View Full Version : Lady in The Water

birddog
7/23/2006, 11:12 AM
is this an anti-shymalan group after The Village? rottentomatoes.com says it's pretty damn bad but then a friend said it was great. anyone seen it yet? should i waste 2 1/2 hrs. of my life?

:pop:

GottaHavePride
7/23/2006, 11:20 AM
Haven't seen it, but I liked The Village.

birddog
7/23/2006, 11:25 AM
me too, but you said that out loud. i've liked all of 'em so far. it's just crazy how 50% say it sucked ace and 50% said it was great. i think i'm going today. i'll let you know.

usmc-sooner
7/23/2006, 11:47 AM
I saw lady in the water and I thought it was a good movie. I think people say it sucks because they wanted a scary movie and this movie wasn't meant to be scary.

It was a good story. I took my kids and they couldn't stop talking about it.

Okla-homey
7/23/2006, 12:19 PM
That Howard chick is hawt.

slickdawg
7/23/2006, 12:31 PM
IMHO, The Village was very good. Shymalan (sp???) does something most
other in Hollywood have forgotten how to do - HAVE AN ORIGINAL IDEA
FOR A MOVIE, don't remake some crap for the 8th time.

I'll go see it once we're in Tejas, which ain't too far off, sparky.

Melo
7/23/2006, 12:39 PM
This thread is nothing without md's spelling of Shamallamalyn's name.

That being said, I want to see this movie.

Okla-homey
7/23/2006, 12:42 PM
I finally learned how to say his name properly. It's Shah'-ma-lawn.

Harry Beanbag
7/23/2006, 12:45 PM
That Howard chick is hawt.

Isn't that Ron Howard's daughter?

Okla-homey
7/23/2006, 12:46 PM
Isn't that Ron Howard's daughter?

That she is.

http://img50.imageshack.us/img50/5407/zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zunzj9.png (http://imageshack.us)
Dallas Howard...Opie's baby girl.

slickdawg
7/23/2006, 12:49 PM
In the TMI department, she revealed in an interview that her folks gave
her the middle name "Dallas" because that's where she was conceived.

Okla-homey
7/23/2006, 12:51 PM
In the TMI department, she revealed in an interview that her folks gave
her the middle name "Dallas" because that's where she was conceived.

I'm glad my parents didn't do that. Mine would have been Elmendorf.;)

Frozen Sooner
7/23/2006, 12:53 PM

Howdy neighbor.

Frozen Sooner
7/23/2006, 12:54 PM

I'm confused. First you say "the Village," then you say "Original Idea."

Okla-homey
7/23/2006, 12:56 PM
Howdy neighbor.

Mom used to say I was a product of those long arctic nights. That and they were too broke to do much else back then on my dad's E-3 pay.

StoopTroup
7/23/2006, 05:46 PM
Mine would have been K.C.

Glad I escaped that.

soonerhubs
7/23/2006, 05:54 PM
I'm curious whether to watch this one as well. I loved Signs, and The Village was good, but I'm not sure I want to go see this one.

sanantoniosooner
7/23/2006, 06:02 PM
I have a theory that most of the people that don't like his movies are shallow people that feel violated when he throws a curveball they didn't expect.

royalfan5
7/23/2006, 06:26 PM
Am I the only one who has never seen one of his movies?

Frozen Sooner
7/23/2006, 07:07 PM
I have a theory that most of the people that don't like his movies are shallow people that feel violated when he throws a curveball they didn't expect.

Are you honestly trying to say that there were people SURPRISED by the ending of The Village?

The only surprise about Signs' ending was that someone would actually make a movie with that stupid of an ending. "Hey, I know, we can't deal with water-it kills us. Let's go attack a planet that's like 70% covered with it! Then we can eat the delicious organisms that are like 90% water! That's the ticket!"

I liked the Sixth Sense and Unbreakable though.

critical_phil
7/23/2006, 08:37 PM
paul giamatti is in this movie!!! i couldn't give two ****s whether or not you people like m. night shamalamadingdong - if paul giamatti is in it, it's a must see!

i give it 2 and 2/3 stars. it's definitely better than signs. then again, i thought signs succed. there was one particular part of the movie that was way over the top when the critic was attacked by the grass monster and was completely uncalled for. i'm not sure where he was going with that.

sanantoniosooner
7/23/2006, 09:12 PM
If you walked out of signs worried about water then you did miss the point of the movie.

I'd wager that very few people had the village figured out before the director wanted you too.

BudSooner
7/23/2006, 09:15 PM
Sixth Sense-good. Unbreakable-very good, Sam Jackson was awesome again.
Signs-eh, well....the tin foil hats were worth it.
The Village-when Dallas went over the fence, I wanted a refund...hell you can get that sort of entertainment at Silver Dollar City.
This one I don't know, my daughter wants to see it thinking its a scary movie.
I'll wait till it's on dvd.

Frozen Sooner
7/23/2006, 09:31 PM
If you walked out of signs worried about water then you did miss the point of the movie.

I'd wager that very few people had the village figured out before the director wanted you too.

What, the point that Mel Gibson is crazier than a ****house rat?

Or the hokey "What God gives us that we perceive as weaknesses are actually the tools He gives us to succeed" message?

Sorry, but just because your movie has a decent message doesn't mean you get to leave a gaping plot hole.

jrsooner
7/23/2006, 09:44 PM
I'd wager that very few people had the village figured out before the director wanted you too.Don't know about that one, but the one with Bruce Willis, I had figured out very early on in the film that he was dead.

sanantoniosooner
7/23/2006, 09:56 PM
What, the point that Mel Gibson is crazier than a ****house rat?

Or the hokey "What God gives us that we perceive as weaknesses are actually the tools He gives us to succeed" message?

Sorry, but just because your movie has a decent message doesn't mean you get to leave a gaping plot hole.
yeah, it's not like you see people try to harvest in high risk areas in the real world...........right?

The hole is only gaping if you apply a very narrow view to a genre that is a little out there in the first place.

Frozen Sooner
7/23/2006, 10:08 PM
yeah, it's not like you see people try to harvest in high risk areas in the real world...........right?

The hole is only gaping if you apply a very narrow view to a genre that is a little out there in the first place.

Don't people who try to harvest in high-risk areas tend to like, I don't know, take precautions against obvious environmental factors that can kill them?

Oh, wait. The light-year spanning aliens of far superior technology are probably a lot dumber than we are and wouldn't think of something like that.

Apply a narrow view? The plotline of the alien race destroyed by earth's environment is so old and hackneyed that people flat out laugh at it. It was lazy storytelling on Shymalan's part and his movie suffered greatly for it.

Frozen Sooner
7/23/2006, 10:08 PM
Oh, hey, there's some diamonds in that active volcano over there. I think I'll throw on some board shorts and mine them...

jk the sooner fan
7/23/2006, 10:11 PM

i think mine would have been "backseat"

sanantoniosooner
7/24/2006, 03:35 AM
Oh, hey, there's some diamonds in that active volcano over there. I think I'll throw on some board shorts and mine them...
Some people should avoid SciFi type movies.

Of all the holes in all the plots it's hilarious to hear this one hammered so hard.

I guess they should have got humans from mars instead.

crawfish
7/24/2006, 07:40 AM

Of all the holes in all the plots it's hilarious to hear this one hammered so hard.

For some reason I don't have a big problem with Signs, but the thought of a Mac talking to alien hardware makes my head spin. :)

I'll probably take a kid to this one in a few weeks.

Norm In Norman
7/24/2006, 07:51 AM
Don't people who try to harvest in high-risk areas tend to like, I don't know, take precautions against obvious environmental factors that can kill them?

Oh, wait. The light-year spanning aliens of far superior technology are probably a lot dumber than we are and wouldn't think of something like that.

Apply a narrow view? The plotline of the alien race destroyed by earth's environment is so old and hackneyed that people flat out laugh at it. It was lazy storytelling on Shymalan's part and his movie suffered greatly for it.
Maybe they had never encountered water before and had just then found out that it kills them. Maybe they had been traveling through space for years and this was the first planet they ran across and they had no other choice but to take the chance. I mean, if I were flying around in space I wouldn't think to take my anti-lava clothes or my anti-hydrochloric acid suit. I mean, how am I supposed to know it rains hydrochloric acid on Betelgeuse 5?

I'm not saying that's what happened, but we are talking about a movie about aliens here. We are not going out on a limb by suspending disbelief. Maybe if he had explained it away in the movie we would be saying "Oh, he took the easy way out with that explaination."

btw, I own the movie and it's not one I watch very often (maybe twice total). I'm just playing the other side.

jeremy885
7/24/2006, 09:32 AM
there was one particular part of the movie that was way over the top when the critic was attacked by the grass monster and was completely uncalled for. i'm not sure where he was going with that.

I thought that was the best part of the movie. This movie was terrible. I've only wanted to walk out of a movie twice in my life. The first was Wayne's world 2 and now this one.

Frozen Sooner
7/24/2006, 10:32 AM
Maybe they had never encountered water before and had just then found out that it kills them. Maybe they had been traveling through space for years and this was the first planet they ran across and they had no other choice but to take the chance. I mean, if I were flying around in space I wouldn't think to take my anti-lava clothes or my anti-hydrochloric acid suit. I mean, how am I supposed to know it rains hydrochloric acid on Betelgeuse 5?

I'm not saying that's what happened, but we are talking about a movie about aliens here. We are not going out on a limb by suspending disbelief. Maybe if he had explained it away in the movie we would be saying "Oh, he took the easy way out with that explaination."

btw, I own the movie and it's not one I watch very often (maybe twice total). I'm just playing the other side.

Yeah, 'cause, you know, water's only like one of the most common compounds in the universe. They've probably never encountered it before at all.:rolleyes:

And they probably didn't notice all the water lying around when they were doing their 20 years of surveillance on the planet.

Frozen Sooner
7/24/2006, 10:33 AM

Yep. Because humans are obviously super-important to their species' long-term survival. They probably had flocks and flocks of humans on their homeworld.

picasso
7/24/2006, 10:49 AM

exactly!

and his name is pronounced Shamalama ding dong.

Norm In Norman
7/24/2006, 10:50 AM
Yeah, 'cause, you know, water's only like one of the most common compounds in the universe. They've probably never encountered it before at all.:rolleyes:

And they probably didn't notice all the water lying around when they were doing their 20 years of surveillance on the planet.
Oh, they did 20 years of survellance? I didn't remember. I'm just saying it could be explained away. I mean, the universe being infinite and all and our limited scope I'm not prepared to say that the scenario is not possible. Personally I wouldn't have gone there if I had writtent the script, but there you go.

Frozen Sooner
7/24/2006, 10:57 AM
Actually, I don't remember the movie that particularly well to stand by that 20 years number, I was throwing a number out there-since crop circles and abduction stories have been around for a while, I figure the aliens had been at least doing SOMETHING prior to the invasion.

The main issue I have is that Shymalan used a deus ex machina to wrap up the external threat in the movie. That's almost always sloppy writing-and to top it off, it didn't even make sense.

It was said earlier that some people shouldn't watch Sci Fi movies. I would say that some people shouldn't watch poorly written Sci Fi movies.

C&CDean
7/24/2006, 11:09 AM
Am I the only one who has never seen one of his movies?

Nope. I was in Baltimore week-before-last and went to see Pirates of the Caribbean. They had a prevue of this flick. Meh. Won't be seeing it.

NormanPride
7/24/2006, 11:13 AM
I liked these stories better when they were in the Twilight Zone or Outer Limits...

Viking Kitten
7/24/2006, 11:15 AM
paul giamatti is in this movie!!! i couldn't give two ****s whether or not you people like m. night shamalamadingdong - if paul giamatti is in it, it's a must see!

Word. I've developed a borderline unhealthy obsession with Paul Giamatti. Amazing actor.

crawfish
7/24/2006, 11:15 AM
Yep. Because humans are obviously super-important to their species' long-term survival. They probably had flocks and flocks of humans on their homeworld.

You need to read more Larry Niven short stories. ;)

yermom
7/24/2006, 11:59 AM
Word. I've developed a borderline unhealthy obsession with Paul Giamatti. Amazing actor.

he had me at Pig Vomit :D

mdklatt
7/24/2006, 12:05 PM
if paul giamatti is in it, it's a must see!

*cough* Big Fat Liar *cough*

Which I watched on TV Saturday. :O

Viking Kitten
7/24/2006, 12:11 PM
*cough* Big Fat Liar *cough*

Which I watched on TV Saturday. :O

*cough* I liked that movie. *cough*

mdklatt
7/24/2006, 12:23 PM
*cough* I liked that movie. *cough*

So did I. :O :O :O

jeremy885
7/24/2006, 12:40 PM
I liked these stories better when they were in the Twilight Zone or Outer Limits and last 30 minutes to an hour, not 2 hours +...

Fixed that one for you.

NormanPride
7/24/2006, 12:48 PM
:D

sanantoniosooner
7/24/2006, 06:23 PM
Hey remember when those aliens in "Alien Nation" reacted to salt water like it was acid?

Hogwash.

critical_phil
7/24/2006, 07:04 PM
remember in "V" when the lizard-alien and that chick ****ed and then she had a little 1/2 human 1/2 alien V-baby?

Harry Beanbag
7/24/2006, 07:05 PM
'V' rawked!

picasso
7/31/2006, 09:47 PM
I enjoyed the movie myself.

tbl
7/31/2006, 11:07 PM
Are you honestly trying to say that there were people SURPRISED by the ending of The Village?

The only surprise about Signs' ending was that someone would actually make a movie with that stupid of an ending. "Hey, I know, we can't deal with water-it kills us. Let's go attack a planet that's like 70% covered with it! Then we can eat the delicious organisms that are like 90% water! That's the ticket!"

I liked the Sixth Sense and Unbreakable though.

I agree with everything in this post as much as one can agree with another post without actually writing it. Although I would have said 2/3 instead of "like 70%". ;)

I mean.... water is their weakness????? COME ON!!!!

tbl
7/31/2006, 11:10 PM

The movie was fine up until then. The point is he could have thought of something else that was their weakness. Make it high fructose corn syrup and the girl was always leaving full soda's out. Anything other than plain water.

and I was one of the very few that figured out the Village. You go into his movies looking for angles, so it's just a matter of figuring out the hook.

GDC
8/1/2006, 01:01 PM
Actually water isn't all that common throughout the universe, but hydrogen is.

It's kind of like in War of the Worlds, the aliens didn't realize earth's microorganisms were their biggest threat.

Unbreakable is a great movie, and I liked Lady in the Water too.

sanantoniosooner
8/1/2006, 09:11 PM
Apparently the people who think water shouldn't be a weakness have never been to Mexico.

You guys flatter yourselves with your superior intellect.

Frozen Sooner
8/1/2006, 09:36 PM
Apparently the people who think water shouldn't be a weakness have never been to Mexico.

You guys flatter yourselves with your superior intellect.

You flatter yourself with your opinion that just because you liked a piece of **** movie that it was good.

Frozen Sooner
8/1/2006, 09:38 PM
Actually water isn't all that common throughout the universe, but hydrogen is.

It's kind of like in War of the Worlds, the aliens didn't realize earth's microorganisms were their biggest threat.

Unbreakable is a great movie, and I liked Lady in the Water too.

Not really kind of like War of the Worlds, pretty much a direct ripoff. Oh, sorry. It's an hommage. :rolleyes:

StoopTroup
8/1/2006, 09:40 PM
The previews for this movie were really disturbing IMO...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/science/media/swimmers.jpg

sanantoniosooner
8/1/2006, 09:43 PM
You flatter yourself with your opinion that just because you liked a piece of **** movie that it was good.
Some of you eat at the only good places and like the only good movies.

We can't all be high-falutin.

Frozen Sooner
8/1/2006, 10:38 PM
Some of you eat at the only good places and like the only good movies.

We can't all be high-falutin.

And we can't all be satisfied by a pretentious movie with big plot holes.

sanantoniosooner
8/1/2006, 10:40 PM
And we can't all be satisfied by a pretentious movie with big plot holes.
I'd love to see your reaction when someone orders water with their meal.

Frozen Sooner
8/1/2006, 10:41 PM
Um, probably "good for you." See, I understand that water is something that's pretty abundant on the Planet Earth and necessary to sustain it's lifeforms. Something that apparently light-year spanning aliens who've been monitoring the place for a while are too dumb to figure out.

sanantoniosooner
8/1/2006, 10:46 PM
believe it or not, they did avoid the places with a lot of water.

I guess they just didn't expect a little girl to have a quirk about it.

Thank goodness we aren't picking apart the scene where he yells at kids on a video tape to get out of the way, and then realizes that they are from brazil so he speaks spanish.

Don't they speak Portuguese down there? And does it matter if they are taped people?

Shoddy character development.

Frozen Sooner
8/1/2006, 10:56 PM
Again. Deus ex machina. Look it up. It's a sign of bad writing.

However, it has been an awfully long while since I've seen Signs. Tell you what-if we can agree to just let this freaking DIE I'll agree to go rent the dang thing and see if there's clues that I apparently COMPLETELY missed during the whole rest of the film about the aliens having problems with water.

picasso
8/1/2006, 10:59 PM
never thought I'd see a sci-fi nerd fight on here.:D

Frozen Sooner
8/1/2006, 11:02 PM
Where else are you going to find one?

It's not like there's a sci-fi nerd fight store.

;)

sanantoniosooner
8/1/2006, 11:03 PM
Again. Deus ex machina. Look it up. It's a sign of bad writing.

However, it has been an awfully long while since I've seen Signs. Tell you what-if we can agree to just let this freaking DIE I'll agree to go rent the dang thing and see if there's clues that I apparently COMPLETELY missed during the whole rest of the film about the aliens having problems with water.
The character played by the director himself left to go to the lake because they seemed to avoid places like that.

Frozen Sooner
8/1/2006, 11:06 PM
Hm. Yeah, I think I remember that. Like I said, it's been a while. I haven't watched it since I first saw it in the theater-mainly because I walked out so disappointed.

I'm willing to have my mind changed, and like I said, I'll rewatch the movie.

sanantoniosooner
8/1/2006, 11:08 PM
It's not like it's my favorite.

I just don't think the "hole" is as big as it's being perceived.

Frozen Sooner
8/1/2006, 11:11 PM
SHUT UP! SIGNS IS YOUR FAVORITIST MOVIE OF ALL TIME AND THAT MAKES YOU A HUGE JERKFACE!

;)

sanantoniosooner
8/1/2006, 11:12 PM
Now Gattaca........that's a movie.

picasso
8/1/2006, 11:13 PM
swing away froz, swing away.

picasso
hey now.:mad:

sanantoniosooner
swing away froz, swing away.
spek.

Frozen Sooner
8/1/2006, 11:14 PM
Unfairly criticized, I think. Just too arty for most people.

sanantoniosooner
8/1/2006, 11:15 PM
That's why I decide for myself what I like and I'm right.;)

picasso
8/1/2006, 11:16 PM
AND exceptional soundtrack.

yermom
8/1/2006, 11:16 PM
that's one i need to see... i think i bought it from Wal-Mart :norm: for $5.50 and never watched it

sanantoniosooner
8/1/2006, 11:18 PM
"I didn't save anything for the swim back"

That line changed my life.

Really

picasso
8/1/2006, 11:21 PM
"I didn't save anything for the swim back"

That line changed my life.

Really
you just like the part where the sample dude is complimenting Jerome on his package.

sanantoniosooner
8/1/2006, 11:25 PM
you just like the part where the sample dude is complimenting Jerome on his package.
See........that's the difference between you and I.

I come away from that movie with an appreciation for the individuals will to succeed in the face of all adversity..........

You're concerned about Jerome's unit.

Rainbow in the Dark.

picasso
8/1/2006, 11:29 PM
See........that's the difference between you and I.

I come away from that movie with an appreciation for the individuals will to succeed in the face of all adversity..........

You're concerned about Jerome's unit.

Rainbow in the Dark.
actually I enjoyed the simplicity of the visual effects, the muted colors and the music. you? you liked seeing Ethan Hawke bathing nude on the beach with very small rocks.

"you have to let wine baaaareeeeeeath!"

crawfish
8/2/2006, 07:47 AM
Um, probably "good for you." See, I understand that water is something that's pretty abundant on the Planet Earth and necessary to sustain it's lifeforms. Something that apparently light-year spanning aliens who've been monitoring the place for a while are too dumb to figure out.

I watched "Dark City" again last week, for the first time in years. Great flick, and water made those aliens "uncomfortable" as well. Although it wasn't used as a plot device to defeat them.