PDA

View Full Version : Former Sooner - Willits knocks in game-winner for Angels

oklasooners
7/23/2006, 12:31 AM
article from MLB.com about Reggie.

http://mlb.mlb.com/images/2006/07/22/ap3OgtCV.jpg

Link to Article

KANSAS CITY -- It was a night of firsts for Reggie Willits.
Willits made his first Major League start for the Angels, singled to lead off the game, scored his first run in the first inning, stole his first base in the seventh and drove in his first run in the 10th inning.

All of Willits' firsts added up to a 4-3 Angels' victory over the Royals to snap a three-game losing streak. Willits' single to left in the 10th scored Chone Figgins with the game-winner.

"That was a heckuva start for him," said Scot Shields (6-6), who picked up the victory in relief. "His first Major League at-bat, he gets a hit and then he gets a game-winning RBI. That is something he is going to remember. It's a big game for him. It's a big game for us. He helped us out a lot tonight."

Willits was first called up in April for eight days, but did not have a plate appearance, appearing in two games.

"I had no idea," Willits said when asked if he knew was starting. "I did my cardio and my work to try to stay in shape. I found out right before I walked out for batting practice."

Then the butterflies started.

"I would be lying if I said I wasn't nervous," Willits said. "I wouldn't say that I was scared nervous. I had some nerves. I just basically wanted to get out there and get something under my belt and relax. I'm just glad we won the game.

"Once you get out there and get going and you have that first at-bat and you settle in and then it's baseball just like it's always been. It helped me to get a hit in my first at-bat. It helped me to relax. I had so many thoughts going through my head. I was here before, but never got an at-bat before. To start the game and have that ball fall in after being behind in the count helped me out a lot."

So could have Willits scripted his first Major League start any better?

"I don't think you could," he said.

How about a home run, a teammate asked?

"I'm not going to get too many of those," Willits said.

The switch-hitting Willits was a seventh-round pick in 2003 out of the University of Oklahoma. He said many of his family members, including his wife, parents and sister, came up for the contest.

"I'm glad they were here to see the game," Willits said.

Manager Mike Scioscia is glad Willits is in an Angels uniform.

"Anybody as athletic as Reggie is and the way he can run and play defense, you're excited about," Angels manager Mike Scioscia said. "He's much improved on the offensive end, particular from his left-handed stroke. You saw an indication of it tonight. He's a guy who is certainly capable of playing every day in center field. He certainly gave us a big lift tonight.

"He set the tone, got some big hits for us, got on base three times and did a nice job in center field too. He's a guy that can pressure clubs in a lot of ways."

Figgins led off the 10th by walking and then swiped his American League-leading 38th base and advanced to third when catcher Paul Phillips' throw went into center.

"I was just trying to give Figgy a chance to steal a base," Willits said. "I was squaring around [to bunt] and holding that catcher back a little bit. Figgy's the best in the business at running the bases. I wanted to let him do his thing. I was fortunate he did steal it and ended up on third. Basically in that situation, I just try to relax and try to drive something up the middle, try to get that run in."

Kelvim Escobar, who was activated from the disabled list on Saturday after being out with inflammation in his right elbow, had a rocky first inning, but finished strong in his first start since July 6.

Escobar gave up two runs and five hits in the first inning, but tossed six scoreless innings afterwards and allowed just four hits.

"Early in the game they were squaring up, but he came together and put some zeros up to give us a chance to get back," Scioscia said.

Escobar said his elbow "felt good," but he did develop a blister on his middle finger, which he and Scioscia said should not prevent him from making his next start.

"I think I was like testing my elbow," Escobar said. "It's normal. It's been a while, a couple of weeks since I've been out there. Some pitches were up in the zone. After that I just put everything behind, made adjustments and made better pitches.

Escobar, who threw 64 strikes in 98 pitches, left after seven innings, allowing just four hits after the first inning. He walked two and struck out three before being replaced by Shields.

Shields worked two scoreless innings to pick up his sixth win. Francisco Rodriguez worked the 10th to log his 24th save in 26 opportunities. Rodriguez, however, had to work around one-out walks to Matt Stairs and Mark Teahen.

The Angels jumped on Royals right-hander Luke Hudson for two runs in the first. Willits scored on Maicer Izturis' triple, which extended his hitting streak to a season-high seven games. Izturis came home on Vladimir Guerrero's groundout. Guerrero has 20 RBIs in his past 20 games, bringing his season total to 77.

The Angels tied the score in the seventh. With one out, Kendry Morales singled, but had to stop at third on Adam Kennedy's ground-rule double to center. Ambiorix Burgos replaced Hudson and on a 1-2 count threw a wild pitch, allowing Morales to score

walkoffsooner
7/23/2006, 09:42 AM
I talked to Reggie this morning. He said to tell all sooner fans thanks for the support he has received in the past. And hopes to do us all proud in the majors.

Sooner95
7/23/2006, 10:53 AM
That's awsome, what a great nite he had.