PDA

View Full Version : Memorial Stadium

CrimsonChampion
7/22/2006, 06:53 PM
I know this is stupid but I wish we could have another doner's name instead of The Gaylord family. That just gives some of my anti-sooner friends something else to say, since they can't find any other GOOD dirt on OU. ;)

HarrisTubbsFan
7/22/2006, 07:12 PM
I've always called it Owen Field. That's what the name should always have been anyway.

CrimsonChampion
7/22/2006, 07:14 PM
Yeah, that's what I always called it. Memorial stadium/Owen field is awesome.

Soonerman08
7/22/2006, 09:22 PM
When Stoops retires from OU, we should rename it to the Bob Stoops Memorial Stadium. I mean how else will we commemorate him??? We have the Bud Wilkinson Athletic Dorms, the Barry Switzer center.

Snrfn4ever08
7/22/2006, 09:46 PM
When Stoops retires from OU, we should rename it to the Bob Stoops Memorial Stadium. I mean how else will we commemorate him??? We have the Bud Wilkinson Athletic Dorms, the Barry Switzer center.
i like this idea:D

85sooners
7/22/2006, 10:06 PM
stoops stadium

stoopified
7/22/2006, 10:10 PM
Nothing against the Gaylord family but I have felt from the beginning that the name should remain Owen Field-Memorial Stadium.The new upprt deck and parking garage and pavilion coild be reffered to as the Gaylord Family Addition.I just believe that the currency(in blood)paid by our veterans (past, present,and future is greater than monetary gifts by anyone.Just IMHO.

Macanudo
7/23/2006, 12:05 AM
Is a doner like a boner?

OUstud
7/23/2006, 12:11 AM
Owen-Gaylord Memorial Stadium.

Vaevictis
7/23/2006, 12:32 AM
I just believe that the currency(in blood)paid by our veterans (past, present,and future is greater than monetary gifts by anyone.Just IMHO.

Worse, IIRC, the original stadium construction was paid for by the students (who explicitly put down money for it), and who named the stadium for OU WWI vets.

(and, before anyone gets into a huff, I'm saying it's worse because, in addition to the whole honoring the vets thing, the students put down money and their wishes were abrogated just because someone came along later with additional money)

olevetonahill
7/23/2006, 02:42 AM
Worse, IIRC, the original stadium construction was paid for by the students (who explicitly put down money for it), and who named the stadium for OU WWI vets.

(and, before anyone gets into a huff, I'm saying it's worse because, in addition to the whole honoring the vets thing, the students put down money and their wishes were abrogated just because someone came along later with additional money)
Yup its
WAR memorial Stadium, Owen field in my book :hot:

Octavian
7/23/2006, 03:18 AM
Is a doner like a boner?

you named your stadium after an Oklahoma quarterback.

you have no say here.

Harry Beanbag
7/23/2006, 09:29 AM
I like boners.

:texan:

RedstickSooner
7/23/2006, 04:41 PM
Renaming stadiums is ghey.

When or if Bob ever retires, rather than naming something for him (we've already named plenty of stuff for plenty of people), we should build a statue of him, sorta like the old Colossus of Rhodes.

We'll make it 100 feet tall for every national championship Bob wins during his tenure at OU. So, if he never wins another one, he'll be 100 feet tall. Which is a perfectly respectable height for a large statue. However, if he does as he should, and wins another couple (to put himself in Bud & Barry's league) then he'll get himself a 300 foot statue, which'd *definitely* be a respectable height.

We could place him somewhere near the stadium, and if he wins enough, we can even have him standing a bit *over* the stadium, peering down into it to watch over the coaches who try to follow in his footsteps (those'd probably be little splash ponds we'd build radiating in a path away from the statue - the footsteps, I mean).

CrimsonChampion
7/23/2006, 06:56 PM
Just take the Gaylord name off the stadium. I can deal with the addition being named after the family.

olevetonahill
7/23/2006, 08:25 PM

When or if Bob ever retires, rather than naming something for him (we've already named plenty of stuff for plenty of people), we should build a statue of him, sorta like the old Colossus of Rhodes.

We'll make it 100 feet tall for every national championship Bob wins during his tenure at OU. So, if he never wins another one, he'll be 100 feet tall. Which is a perfectly respectable height for a large statue. However, if he does as he should, and wins another couple (to put himself in Bud & Barry's league) then he'll get himself a 300 foot statue, which'd *definitely* be a respectable height.

We could place him somewhere near the stadium, and if he wins enough, we can even have him standing a bit *over* the stadium, peering down into it to watch over the coaches who try to follow in his footsteps (those'd probably be little splash ponds we'd build radiating in a path away from the statue - the footsteps, I mean).

Then we would have a "touchdown Bob Stoops " ?
Naw Give him More Honor than that !

douxpaysan
7/23/2006, 09:47 PM

With a hologram of huge visor slowly revolving above...traditional rotations after Sooner victories over Texas. NICE VISOR BOB http://www.nawcwpns.navy.mil/~pao/images/pages/photos/weapons/jsow/lg/visor.jpg

badger
7/23/2006, 10:17 PM
TWO WORDS (not five): OWEN FIELD
http://kbegay487.tripod.com/headlands/thumbnails/400x300/OwenField.bmp
possibly three: OKLAHOMA MEMORIAL STADIUM
http://www.tampatantrum.com/ispy/oklahomastadium.jpg
I don't see any "Gaylord Family," do you?
;)

oumartin
7/23/2006, 10:19 PM
at least it isn't named Boone Pickens
or Joe Jamail

Rhino
7/23/2006, 10:20 PM
How old is this thread?

We started a pre-emptive strike on that name years ago with the ROCK THE FOCK t-shirts.

badger
7/23/2006, 10:24 PM
http://www.strickle.com/covers/gorchfok_thumb.jpg

goingoneight
7/23/2006, 11:28 PM
AD's Playground... Ooohhh!!! Someone HAS to fark that on the stadium!!!

Statalyzer
7/24/2006, 01:20 AM
you named your stadium after an Oklahoma quarterback.

And Einstein was a German scientist before WW2.

MamaMia
7/24/2006, 09:09 AM
Even though it was mighty nice of the Gaylords to pick us as their tax shelter, of which I'm grateful, me and mine will always call it Owen Field.

MamaMia
7/24/2006, 09:20 AM

(and, before anyone gets into a huff, I'm saying it's worse because, in addition to the whole honoring the vets thing, the students put down money and their wishes were abrogated just because someone came along later with additional money)Key word, "additional"

Nothing against the Gaylord family but I have felt from the beginning that the name should remain Owen Field-Memorial Stadium.The new upprt deck and parking garage and pavilion coild be reffered to as the Gaylord Family Addition.I just believe that the currency(in blood)paid by our veterans (past, present,and future is greater than monetary gifts by anyone.Just IMHO.Actually, they only payed for 1/10th of the renovation.

Dio
7/24/2006, 11:03 AM
ROCK THE FOCK!!!

bomber64manat
7/24/2006, 11:24 AM
OKLAHOMA MEMORIAL STADIUM!! no ifs and buts about it. that is what its called that is whats on the stadium, AND that is where i watch sooner football

nothing else.
PS YOUR RIGHT AT LEAST IT AIN CALLED... "THE BOONE"!!!! DU DA DUh!!!!!!!