PDA

View Full Version : Recipe needed

whatsername
7/22/2006, 01:26 PM
Since we got a break in the temp finally, we're going to be grilling tonight. I could use a recipe for a pasta salad other than the usual macaroni salad. Anybody got any good ones?

TIA

proud gonzo
7/22/2006, 01:46 PM
foodnetwork.com:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/images/spacers/spacer.gif http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/images/spacers/spacer.gif MOP-it-up Pasta Salad Mushrooms, Peppers and Onions Pasta Salad with Red Pepper Pesto Recipe courtesy Rachael Ray

Red Pepper Pesto Sauce:
1 cup drained, packed roasted red peppers
2 small cloves garlic
1 (3-ounce) jar pignoli/pine nuts
1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves, a couple of handfuls
Salt and pepper
1/3 cup grated Parmesan
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, eyeball it Salad:
1 pound mini penne or gemelli pasta, cooked to al dente
1 cup drained marinated mushrooms, sliced
1/4 cup Italian hot pepper rings, drained and chopped
1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1/2 large red onion, chopped

Place a large pot of water on to boil for pasta. Combine roasted peppers, garlic, pine nuts, parsley, salt and pepper and cheese in a food processor. Turn the processor on and stream in the extra-virgin olive oil to form a thick, pasty sauce forms. Adjust seasoning and transfer sauce to a large bowl.
Add salt to boiling water and cook pasta to al dente, drain and cool under running cold water. Drain well a second time. Add cooked, cooled pasta to the pesto sauce. Add remaining ingredients to the bowl and toss to coat salad evenly. Adjust salt and pepper to your taste and serve or chill up to 48 hours.

Artichoke Pasta Salad Recipe courtesy Alton Brown:
4 cups cooked bow tie pasta, cooled
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
3 tablespoons herb oil, recipe follows
1 cup grape tomatoes, split
2 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh basil
1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
1 cup roughly chopped roasted chicken
1 cup roughly chopped marinated artichokes
Salt
Freshly ground black pepperIn a large bowl toss all of the ingredients. Serve or store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.Herb Oil:
1/2 bunch parsley
1/2 cup packed fresh basil
1/2 bunch fresh thyme
1/2 cup packed fresh oregano
1/2 orange, zested
1 whole dried arbol chile
1 teaspoon whole black pepper corns
2 cups canola oil
1 cup extra-virgin olive oilIn a 1-quart mason jar, place all of the herbs, zest, chile, and peppercorns. Pour both oils into a saucepan and heat to 200 degrees F. Pour the hot oils into the jar and cover with a kitchen towel. Let stand overnight.
Place cheesecloth over the top of the jar and replace the outer rim of the lid. Invert and strain oil into desired container.
Yield: 2 cups

"The BEst Pasta Salad" The naked Chef:

11 ounces (310 grams) small shell-shaped pasta
3 cloves garlic
9 ounces (225 grams) yellow cherry tomatoes
9 ounces (225 grams) red cherry tomatoes
1/2 cucumber
1 handful black olives, pitted
2 tablespoons fresh chives
I handful fresh basil
7 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
4 tablespoons white wine vinegar
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepperBring a large pan of salted water to the boil, add the pasta and garlic, and simmer for about 5 minutes or until al dente, and drain. Put the garlic to one side for the dressing. Put the pasta in a bowl.
Cut the tomatoes, cucumber, and black olives into small pieces, about half the size of the pasta, and place in the round metal container. Roughly chop the herbs and place these in the container.
Using a fork mash the cooked garlic cloves on the board with a little salt, add to the salad.
Add the oil, vinegar, and seasoning.

whatsername
7/22/2006, 01:56 PM
"The BEst Pasta Salad" The naked Chef:

11 ounces (310 grams) small shell-shaped pasta
3 cloves garlic
9 ounces (225 grams) yellow cherry tomatoes
9 ounces (225 grams) red cherry tomatoes
1/2 cucumber
1 handful black olives, pitted
2 tablespoons fresh chives
I handful fresh basil
7 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
4 tablespoons white wine vinegar

This one sounds good, except I've never seen a yellow cherry tomato in my life! I guess I'll substitute if I try this one. Have you tried any of these yourself?

Thanks... I never thought to look at Food Network. Duh. I usually go to allrecipes.com but I didn't find anything that caught my eye today.

Okla-homey
7/22/2006, 02:05 PM
Do Naked Chefs wear full body hairnets?

proud gonzo
7/22/2006, 02:07 PM
This one sounds good, except I've never seen a yellow cherry tomato in my life! I guess I'll substitute if I try this one. Have you tried any of these yourself?

Thanks... I never thought to look at Food Network. Duh. I usually go to allrecipes.com but I didn't find anything that caught my eye today.

nope, i haven't tried any of them. I don't eat salads or vegetables, but i know those three usually have very good recipes.

Okla-homey
7/22/2006, 02:10 PM
I don't eat salads or vegetables,

what do you eat? nuts and berries?

pb4ou
7/22/2006, 02:11 PM
http://allrecipes.com/

YW

critical_phil
7/22/2006, 02:41 PM
i know an awesome recipe for pasta salad.

it's called: baked beans.

ywia.

etouffee
7/22/2006, 02:49 PM
what do you eat? nuts and berries?eats shoots and leaves :D

whatsername
7/22/2006, 03:15 PM
i know an awesome recipe for pasta salad.

it's called: baked beans.

ywia.

funny you say that... i'm about to give up on the pasta salad recipe and make baked beans instead. They can have green salad if they want salad so bad. :)

Tailwind
7/22/2006, 03:21 PM
Can't you just make up one for yourself? I'm going to do one with crabmeat and black olives when I get home.

whatsername
7/22/2006, 03:46 PM
Can't you just make up one for yourself? I'm going to do one with crabmeat and black olives when I get home.
My main prob is having ingredients on hand! I'm not at home and I'm finding out that it's tough to come up with something on short notice at someone else's house. Plus we're in the boonies and it's not a quick drive to the store.

I think I have the stuff for a catalina type dressing, but I'm not sure how that would go on pasta.

I think it's gonna be baked beans and green salad.

Tailwind
7/22/2006, 03:50 PM
That's what I'd go with in that case.

proud gonzo
7/22/2006, 05:18 PM
what do you eat? nuts and berries?
i eat caesar salads only. other than that I eat tomatoes (in the form of ketchup and sauce), potatoes, yellow squash (only when sliced thin, breaded, and fried), carrots, corn, peppers in various forms, and spinach on VERY rare occasions. that's the extent of my vegetable eating (unless cheesecake is a vegetable).

i'm allergic to strawberries and most nuts