PDA

View Full Version : I just yelled at my dad and I think i'm finished helping my parents move...

proud gonzo
7/22/2006, 11:44 AM
I've been helping my parents move for a month and a half, doing a lot of carrying things because my mom has arthritis in her hands and my dad has a bad back and they both have bad knees.

but most of the time by "helping" I mean standing around waiting for somebody to point at something and tell me where it goes. My dad yells because I'm "just standing around" but when i ask what goes where he ignores me and doesn't answer.

So just a while ago while i was sitting on the couch waiting to see what was going on today he said rather rudely "you know there's a whole van of stuff you could be emptying out."

i really wanted to way "yeah, there's a ****load of stuff I could be doing. I could practice audition music or type recipes or paint things for people (and actually make money) or work on screenplays or pack for my trip to new jersey." but instead i put on shoes and went unload the van. I asked dad where stuff goes and he didn't say anything and went about his business.

so I asked "are you going to tell me where these boxes go or am I supposed to stand here while you ignore me all morning?" He said that if he knew where stuff went he would have answered me and then shouted "you can help by standing there until somebody tells you what to do!"
I said "I'm not going to help at all if you don't stop being rude to me every time I DO try to help. I'm sick of it!" And went back into the house.

My mom told me not to worry about it, there's not all that much left to do anyway and said i should do whatever the heck i want to do today.
I think she and my dad both headed over to the old house to move more crap now.

royalfan5
7/22/2006, 11:48 AM
Strother Martin<What we have here is a failure to communicate>Strother Martin.

JohnnyMack
7/22/2006, 11:48 AM
1. Why a month and a half to move?

2. Where in NJ are you going?

birddog
7/22/2006, 11:49 AM
old people.

Tailwind
7/22/2006, 11:51 AM
So what are you gonna do with your free time today? Besides feeling a tiny bit crappy from arguing with daddy?

proud gonzo
7/22/2006, 11:54 AM
why a month and a half to move? my parents have been in the same house for 25 years and they suck at moving. they don't understand the whole "pack up everything and move it all at once". and my dad was so paranoid the house wouldn't sell he was expecting it to be on the market for 2-3 months. Then the house sold in 2-3 days so instead of sorting through things before we packed them, we just started throwing things in boxes and moving them.

Of course neither of my parents started packing anything until about two days before they closed on their new house. :rolleyes:

I'm going to Fords, NJ to visit my grandma. There'll be a side trip to NYC and probably also one to Atlantic City.

Boarder
7/22/2006, 11:55 AM
WELL YOU JUST WAIT UNTIL YOU'RE OLD AND SOME LITTLE PUNK STARTS GIVING YOU THE ATTITUDE! YOU JUST WAIT!

yermom
7/22/2006, 11:55 AM
you should go see something at the kickass theater nearby ;)

proud gonzo
7/22/2006, 11:57 AM
So what are you gonna do with your free time today? Besides feeling a tiny bit crappy from arguing with daddy?

well, i'm probably going to sit here and be angry for a while, and then i'll probably lay on the floor and hope my back stops hurting long enough to do anything productive.

Tailwind
7/22/2006, 11:59 AM
Why don't you sit and be angry in a hot bubblebath....then your back should feel better. ANd maybe listen to your favorite music on headphone all the while. You should feel much better in about an hour.

NYSooner1355
7/22/2006, 11:59 AM
lift with your knees! with your knees dammit!

Okla-homey
7/22/2006, 12:05 PM
PG,
You are a very smart young lady. I moved a couple times before i figured out (as you have) the key to efficient and reasonably pain-free moving is "touch it ONCE!" IOW, if you pick up a box on the truck, do not put it down until it is in the room it belongs in the new house. I'm impressed.

proud gonzo
7/22/2006, 12:07 PM
you should go see something at the kickass theater nearby ;)

i thought about it, but i'm trying to save money for new jersey... and i don't like seeing movies by myself. :(

Okla-homey
7/22/2006, 12:11 PM
i don't like seeing movies by myself. :(

some people prefer to see movies by themselves...

http://img234.imageshack.us/img234/3509/zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzah0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

BTW, to what part of Wichita did your 'rents move?

OhU1
7/22/2006, 12:46 PM
Sounds like my dad. There's always some trivial chore to do such as lifting something, holding something in place, turning a key, pumping a brake, while he fixes it. Not that I mind helping but it's always when I've just sat down to read the paper or something. He can get grumpy too just like when I was 12. Oh well, it's your old man and you do it. I am happy to still have a dad around to be able to gripe at me from time to time.

I think parents always look at you like their child in some aspect no matter how old you get. I'm past 40 and I'm still the designated lifter and couch mover. When my dad was in his 40's I had that job too on the theory that we had too old. Hummm. Someone got conned on that one.
Actually the old man holds his own pretty well for a 71 year old. If I ever need a teenager to take my place moving things then I will feel old. Use it or lose it.

proud gonzo
7/22/2006, 12:54 PM
I dont' mind helping out with the little things like that, but most of the time my dad tells me to help but doesn't give me anything to actually DO. If I just start stacking boxes somewhere or packing things I'll invariably put them in the wrong place.

StoopTroup
7/22/2006, 12:57 PM
PG...

Sounds like you need to just take charge IMO.

Don't wait for someone to tell you what to do...

Just do it!

If they don't like your help they will tell you to stop and then you don't have to feel badly about it at all.

They can either hire someone to yell at or do it themselves.

proud gonzo
7/22/2006, 01:38 PM
no, what would happen is my dad would end up doing it all himself even though his back is already killing him and he'll probably end up with a herniated disk or something and need back surgery. The whole "just do it" thing doesn't work so well around here...i get yelled at when i try to "take charge".

SoonerInKCMO
7/22/2006, 02:03 PM
Call GHP and make him do all this.

pb4ou
7/22/2006, 02:09 PM
no, what would happen is my dad would end up doing it all himself even though his back is already killing him and he'll probably end up with a herniated disk or something and need back surgery. The whole "just do it" thing doesn't work so well around here...i get yelled at when i try to "take charge".

Looks like you get yelled at either way. :(

royalfan5
7/22/2006, 02:18 PM
I'd start dropping hints about 3rd rate nursing homes if I were you. Maybe that would scare him straight.

GottaHavePride
7/22/2006, 03:59 PM
Call GHP and make him do all this.
I'm in Norman, trying to fiure out how to get my lawn mowed again without my allergies killing me.

And I went up there once to help and pretty much the only actually heavy thing they had ready to move at that point was the table saw.

The funny thing is that they DID hire professional movers, but they only had about half of the house ready to move when the movers came. I think I would have had them take care of all the stuff in the attic while they were there, since it was already in boxes. My mom probably wouldn't let them up there for fear they'd break the dishes that she hasn't used in 25 years. :rolleyes:.

;)

Okla-homey
7/22/2006, 04:23 PM
I'm in Norman, trying to fiure out how to get my lawn mowed again without my allergies killing me.

And I went up there once to help and pretty much the only actually heavy thing they had ready to move at that point was the table saw.

The funny thing is that they DID hire professional movers, but they only had about half of the house ready to move when the movers came. I think I would have had them take care of all the stuff in the attic while they were there, since it was already in boxes. My mom probably wouldn't let them up there for fear they'd break the dishes that she hasn't used in 25 years. :rolleyes:.

;)

civilians. heh.

Flagstaffsooner
7/22/2006, 04:35 PM
I'd start dropping hints about 3rd rate nursing homes if I were you. Maybe that would scare him straight.Shady Pines.

Vaevictis
7/22/2006, 04:37 PM
I'd start dropping hints about 3rd rate nursing homes if I were you. Maybe that would scare him straight.

Heh, the easy response to that is, "If you keep that attitude up, I'll leave everything to the dog."

royalfan5
7/22/2006, 04:40 PM
Heh, the easy response to that is, "If you keep that attitude up, I'll leave everything to the dog."
That's why you need to make money on your own. It gives you leverage. Got to let the parents know you don't need them.

Vaevictis
7/22/2006, 04:44 PM
Heh, well, there are other easy responses. Like, for example, if Mom and Pops are annoying to the kids, they could always threaten to move in next door. ;)

royalfan5
7/22/2006, 04:47 PM
Heh, well, there are other easy responses. Like, for example, if Mom and Pops are annoying to the kids, they could always threaten to move in next door. ;)
Of course, if you have multiple siblings, you can play the odds on that happening.

Vaevictis
7/22/2006, 04:52 PM
Of course, if you have multiple siblings, you can play the odds on that happening.

One word: Winnebago.

royalfan5
7/22/2006, 04:54 PM
One word: Winnebago.
That's when you tip the state, that they drivering skills are slipping, and get their license yanked.

Vaevictis
7/22/2006, 04:58 PM
Yeah, but then you buy off one of the kids who aren't making their own money with the inheritance and have him/her drive you around ;)

Also, who do you think they move in next to when they find out who tipped off the state? (invariably, they will find out.)

proud gonzo
7/22/2006, 05:13 PM

;)

yeah, me and Iggy must have just gotten lucky. Last weekend when Iggy was here we got to spend all of saturday digging two martin boxes out of the yard and moving MORE furniture.

she was worried about the dishes because they're our great grandmother's expensive china.

SoonerInKCMO
7/22/2006, 08:26 PM
That's when you tip the state, that they drivering skills are slipping, and get their license yanked.

Naw, if you're going to call a state agency, call the state mental hospital and see what it'd take to get reservations for a rubber room.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
7/23/2006, 03:01 PM
Shady Pines.Heh. Shady Pines is code in my family for "Talihina Manor" the nursing home in the town where my mom was raised.

jrsooner
7/23/2006, 09:32 PM
WELL YOU JUST WAIT UNTIL YOU'RE OLD AND SOME LITTLE PUNK STARTS GIVING YOU THE ATTITUDE! YOU JUST WAIT!That's why I have all my kids in TKD, and being brainwashed to say "Yes, Sir" or "Yes, Ma'am" while doing what to be done. :)

olevetonahill
7/23/2006, 10:05 PM
Its been almost 15 years
I just wish I could TALK to my Dad again :(
And the 1st kid of mine that says I cant drive is going DOWN:eek: