PDA

View Full Version : Why Western culture is superior to Oriental culture

Okla-homey
7/22/2006, 05:54 AM
The Chinese developed gunpowder around 200 BC. For around 1400 years they only used it for fireworks and dramatic effects.

When introduced to gunpowder, Europeans almost immediately figured out gunpowder could be used as a propellant if jammed into a closed-end metal cylinder behind a stone or metal bullet. They then promptly began using such bullet firing cylinders to kill people and animals.

West>East.

Thus endeth the lesson.:D

Oldnslo
7/22/2006, 08:37 AM
um. I think you could have used a better example than "we're more efficient at killing."

just sayin'

StoopTroup
7/22/2006, 08:40 AM
You mean something like the mega-boom 9000 we set off on the Fourth of July? :D

http://www.commondreams.org/headlines01/images/1106-01.jpg

King Crimson
7/22/2006, 09:16 AM
Thus endeth the lesson.:D

i just hope the lesson doesn't endeth with China calling out the US debts.

yermom
7/22/2006, 09:21 AM
yeah, no one can beat the West in finding ways for Science to kill tons of people

sanantoniosooner
7/22/2006, 09:51 AM
http://www.danishglass.com/new_look/pictures/georg_jensen/silver/blossom/georg%20jensen%20blossom%20oyster%20fork%203084064 .jpg

SoonerProphet
7/22/2006, 09:56 AM
The Turks blew to hell Constantinople using some pretty decent siege equipment, but there may be some arguments of the Western tag.

jeremy885
7/22/2006, 10:08 AM
The Turks blew to hell Constantinople using some pretty decent siege equipment, but there may be some arguments of the Western tag.

Which was made by a Hungarian.

"The Basilic, or The Ottoman Cannon was a supercannon designed by Urban, a Hungarian cannon engineer, Saruca Usta and architect Muslihiddin Usta at a time when cannons were still new. It was horribly inaccurate, but when it hit, it caused massive damage to Constantinople's walls. It lasted all of six weeks before becoming non-functional.

* Length: ~24 feet (8+ m)
* Diameter: 2.5 feet (75cm)
* Cannonball: 1200 lb (544 kg)
* Range: ~1 mile (2 km)"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basilic_%28cannon%29

Okla-homey
7/22/2006, 10:18 AM
yeah, no one can beat the West in finding ways for Science to kill tons of people

We rock! "Death Incorporated";)

Okla-homey
7/22/2006, 10:19 AM
i just hope the lesson doesn't endeth with China calling out the US debts.

No way! They're gonna build MG's in Ardmore remember?

jk the sooner fan
7/22/2006, 10:21 AM
i think its much simpler than all of that

have you ever heard of a good oriental beer?

i think not

end of argument

OklahomaTuba
7/22/2006, 10:24 AM
i think its much simpler than all of that

have you ever heard of a good oriental beer?

i think not

end of argument

Sapporo and Kiran.

But then again, the Japs figured out long ago that Western Culture > Oriental Culture, thanks to Mr Perry and his fireworks.

yermom
7/22/2006, 10:24 AM
i've heard good things about Sapporo

and someone likes Tsing Tao apparently, but i'm not sure who :P

edit: heh, Tuba beat me to it

sanantoniosooner
7/22/2006, 10:25 AM
http://www.danishglass.com/new_look/pictures/georg_jensen/silver/blossom/georg%20jensen%20blossom%20oyster%20fork%203084064 .jpg
'nuff said

OklahomaTuba
7/22/2006, 10:26 AM
Sapporo is best consumed in Japan*.

Does not include in mass quantities with Korean customers who drink like fish 12 hours nonstop.

Okla-homey
7/22/2006, 10:27 AM
i've heard good things about Sapporo

and someone likes Tsing Tao apparently, but i'm not sure who :P

edit: heh, Tuba beat me to it

It is worth noting that Tsing Tao (which is good beer) is brewed by a Chinese brewery first established on the site by Germans during the colonial period. Its printed on the bottle label.

OklahomaTuba
7/22/2006, 10:31 AM
Someone should ask Dr. Z about that.

Okla-homey
7/22/2006, 10:38 AM
um. I think you could have used a better example than "we're more efficient at killing."

just sayin'

okay.

http://img162.imageshack.us/img162/1346/zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzid4.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

sanantoniosooner
7/22/2006, 10:43 AM
you people are just ignoring the whole "fork" thing.

f'n hillbillies

Okla-homey
7/22/2006, 10:46 AM
you people are just ignoring the whole "fork" thing.

f'n hillbillies

I admit the fork is huge, but the spoon...

wait! We invented the spork too! Yay us!

Hoosier Dynasty
7/22/2006, 11:36 AM

Bird Flu = Western design:pop:

Scott D
7/22/2006, 11:38 AM
I admit the fork is huge, but the spoon...

wait! We invented the spork too! Yay us!

I don't know that I'd really want to lay claim to inventing the spork.

KC//CRIMSON
7/22/2006, 11:45 AM
Mmmmmmm........Tsing Tao:cool:

love it.

Okla-homey
7/22/2006, 11:55 AM

say that now but as you are shifting around thru your box of KFC from the drive-thru, you'll be danged happy someone invented the spork when its time to dig into that mashed-potato-like substance bathed in brown skillet sludge.;)

Okla-homey
7/22/2006, 11:59 AM
Speaking of the spork and combination eating utensils...these are cool too. Lots of Civil War guys had an arm amputated. American ingenuity and mercantilism responded with "the amputee's knife." This one is an antique example.

http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/5207/zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzunti tlejk0.png (http://imageshack.us)

Scott D
7/22/2006, 12:06 PM
say that now but as you are shifting around thru your box of KFC from the drive-thru, you'll be danged happy someone invented the spork when its time to dig into that mashed-potato-like substance bathed in brown skillet sludge.;)

that's why I only get the buffalo snackers from kfc sir. my only sporks come from taco hell. :D

PhilTLL
7/22/2006, 06:28 PM
So far we have: (1) Inventing new ways to kill people. (2) Forcing diplomatic relations on threat of destruction (Com. Perry). (3) The spoon, which Asians always had anyway--how do you think they invented all those great soups? (4) The enterprising spirit and ingenuity to devise a tool for people with horrible war injuries.

What a superior culture! ;)

Frozen Sooner
7/22/2006, 06:29 PM
(psst-I'm pretty sure it's "Asian Culture" now.)

sanantoniosooner
7/22/2006, 06:29 PM
So far we have: (1) Inventing new ways to kill people. (2) Forcing diplomatic relations on threat of destruction (Com. Perry). (3) The spoon, which Asians always had anyway--how do you think they invented all those great soups? (4) The enterprising spirit and ingenuity to devise a tool for people with horrible war injuries.

What a superior culture! ;)
I mentioned the FORK three times and you still missed it.

Why are F'n hillbillies discussing culture anyway?

Vaevictis
7/22/2006, 06:33 PM
1. Scientific Method.
2. Calculus.

PhilTLL
7/22/2006, 06:38 PM
I mentioned the FORK three times and you still missed it.

Asians give people forks when they're too infirm to use chopsticks.

sanantoniosooner
7/22/2006, 07:02 PM
Asians give people forks when they're too infirm to use chopsticks.
I could eat with a spatula but that doesn't make it advanced or even superior.

Chop sticks = lame

PhilTLL
7/22/2006, 07:09 PM
Chop sticks = lame

I think so, too. Just relating how a lot of people view Western utensils. Chopsticks come from philosophical origins, anyway, not practical ones. :)

crawfish
7/22/2006, 07:13 PM

That's on my resume. :O

crawfish
7/22/2006, 07:14 PM
Chop sticks = lame

Then again, how many Asians are fatasses? ;)

sanantoniosooner
7/22/2006, 07:37 PM
Then again, how many Asians are fatasses? ;)
http://www.kampfsport-online.com/Japan/Sumo/sumo.h3.jpg

tbl
7/22/2006, 08:27 PM
All I know is that in 10 years, we will have zero industry here in American and China is going to own us.

Okla-homey
7/23/2006, 07:22 AM
All I know is that in 10 years, we will have zero industry here in American and China is going to own us.

Thank-you for that insight Mr. Perot.;)

Also please remember, if we decide to default and not pay them, they can't invade and and make us pay:D

tbl
7/23/2006, 09:56 AM
Yeah, an army of hundreds of millions troops and more money than that doesn't have enough power to do anything to the eternally great and mighty United States...

Mark it. China is going to be a real problem in the near future.

Vaevictis
7/23/2006, 10:19 AM
Yeah, an army of hundreds of millions troops and more money than that doesn't have enough power to do anything to the eternally great and mighty United States...

Nothing tac-nukes won't solve. China will be a problem, but mark it -- it'll go back to the old war-by-proxy routine; the cost is too high for either us to let it get to a head to head war.

Killerbees
7/24/2006, 02:56 AM
This whole China is gonna own the US scare mongering reminds me of the Japan owning the US craze....

Asians dont use spoons for their soups (traditionally) they slurp them and very loudly I might add.

SoonerBorn68
7/24/2006, 03:32 AM
People, people. We invented football. End of argument. ;)

Ike
7/24/2006, 03:47 AM
the fundamental differences between western culture and eastern culture can be summed up thusly.

Easterners tend to believe that nobody can do anything better than their forefathers. Westerners tend to belive that they can do everything better than their forefathers.

ouflak
7/24/2006, 07:08 AM
The Chinese developed gunpowder around 200 BC. For around 1400 years they only used it for fireworks and dramatic effects.

When introduced to gunpowder, Europeans almost immediately figured out gunpowder could be used as a propellant if jammed into a closed-end metal cylinder behind a stone or metal bullet. They then promptly began using such bullet firing cylinders to kill people and animals.

I'm sure this was all in humor. But just in case anybody took this at all seriously ...

Gunpowder, reportedly produced from saltpetre, sulphur and charcoal, is a Chinese invention. Earliest records of the formula date to the 800s. The Chinese used gunpowder to propel rockets, and to produce incendiary and explosive projectiles thrown by catapult. By the 1200s, a Chinese Bureau of Munitions was operating seven factories that produced 7,000 rockets and 21,000 bombs a day. The weaponry included a so-called "thunder-crash bomb", which the Chinese unleashed in 1232 on Mongol troops besieging Kaifeng, capital of the north Chinese Jin Empire. During the later years of the 13th century, the Chinese invented cannons, using gunpowder to fire projectiles from metal barrels.

One of the first recorded applications of gunpowder in European military history occurred at the 1346 Battle of Crecy, where the English arsenal included little gunpowder "firepots."

http://www.timelineindex.com/content/view/1119

Okla-homey
7/24/2006, 07:40 AM
I'm sure this was all in humor. But just in case anybody took this at all seriously ...

http://www.timelineindex.com/content/view/1119

I say again, Chinese invent gunpowder circa 800. No Chinese guns for 600 years in the 13 century. That is pathetic.;)