PDA

View Full Version : Here's a little bit about the OL in '06 (Simmons Update)...

The Consumate Showman
7/21/2006, 03:07 PM
This is from an article from soonerscoop. Talks about the current rotation and Brian Simmons' injury update (:) ).

The coaches may have an idea of how the lineup will shake out. But that's just conference room discussion. It's not gameday decision time just yet.

"Competition is the best motivator, so to say there's a set five this spring – Chris Messner's played a lot of ball, and we liked Duke Robinson this spring. Jon Cooper and J.D. Quinn being back this fall will be good having players with their experience," said Patton. "Branndon Braxton and a young guy like Brandon Walker will all be in the mix. I think if we get seven or eight guys ready to go in the rotation, I think we'll be pretty good."

Cooper had been a question mark over the offseason. There were even rumors his ankle injury was going to prevent him from making it back in time for the start of the 2006 season.

"From just some of the reports from the trainers I know Jon is very eager and I know from the training staff standpoint and the workout staff standpoint, he's doing a great job," explained Patton. "He's doing an excellent job and he should be ready to go this fall."

Another key player during the fall was Brian Simmons. But he suffered cartilage damage in his knee during a weight room accident. Patton said his prognosis is now much more positive than initial reports indicated.

"He's projected to be back for the season," said Patton. "I know he's working hard in the training room and I just saw him walking through the training room the other day. He's working hard and he's a great kid. He's a tough guy and the little time I've had him, I know he's going to bust everything he's got to get back for us."

The offensive line will also be bolstered by several incoming freshman. Patton talks highly of all the incoming freshman. Kevin Wilson spent last year trying to beef up his line with quality high school players from across the country. Wilson and Patton will soon be able to take advantage of those efforts.

"We're always looking for a two-deep situation. But anytime we can get eight to ten guys ready to go – we've got some young guys coming in like Brandon Walker, Chase Beeler, Cory Brandon, Trent Williams and Sherrone Moore. All these young guys will have a chance to come in and get in the depth chart and get some quality reps in the preseason and we'll see where they go."

The challenge for Patton becomes more immediate as each day passes. With a Heisman Trophy front-runner and national championship expectations, the importance of the offensive line remains the biggest challenge of the 2006 preseason.

It's a challenge no one is taking lightly according to Patton.

"We set goals but those guys know (their importance) when they come to practice every day and with everything they did this spring."

I've been doing a lot of this :pop: this week (:hot: ). Anyone else?? WHEW!!!

BOOMERBRADLEY
7/21/2006, 05:25 PM
thanks for the info