PDA

View Full Version : I hate sportwriters and want to drown their kittens!

soonerboy_odanorth
7/21/2006, 03:04 PM
WHAT is the DEAL with us being everyone's little darling pick to win the Big XII? This team has proven zero, zip, nada... it just torques me when these sportwriting BOOBS don't give credit where credit is due. They don't even look at what they write themselves, to wit: We have one pre-season All-Big XII performer on offense, and one pre-season All-BigXII performer on defense. Texas has three... ON EACH SIDE OF THE BALL. They are going to have to hand-hold their QB's, but every other piece is settled for them, and pretty darn tootin' loaded with talent to boot. And, they're the reigning CHAMPS! Us? Questions on o-line, still some questions at receiver, no QB depth, no RB depth, no established tight end... and add to that a secondary that is one injury (to either Wolf or Smith) away from being very ordinary, a pretty thin LB corp... well you get the picture.

My point is, what has happened to teams recently that have accomplished little to nothing but been given all sorts of pre-season hoopla when they step on the field of the Cotton Bowl that first or second week of October? Squashed. That's what. Fortunately, we had been the team of some accomplishment that had taken it to the team of little to no accomplishment (Texas). Methinks the shoe now be on the other footsie.

And unlike the Tejanos, I think we rather like to PROVE ourselves than accept the blind and overly gratuitous glad-handing of sportwriter CLOWNS.

There. I said it. :mad:

Octavian
7/21/2006, 03:08 PM
and pretty darn tootin' loaded with talent to boot.

this was funny.

the rest of it...meh.

ultimatesooner1
7/21/2006, 03:08 PM
where is the UAB penguin?

Dio
7/21/2006, 03:14 PM
WE

ARE

SCREWED!

Statalyzer
7/21/2006, 03:15 PM
WHAT is the DEAL with us being everyone's little darling pick to win the Big XII?

Prepare to be flamed....

GottaHavePride
7/21/2006, 03:18 PM
and add to that a secondary that is one injury (to either Wolf or Smith) away from being very ordinary, a pretty thin LB corp...

Are you talking CBs or LBs? Casue I don't think and injury to Wolfe or Smith will have much effect on the play of Rufus Alexander.

soonerboy_odanorth
7/21/2006, 03:22 PM
add to that a secondary that is one injury (to either Wolfe or Smith) away from being very ordinary, and add to that a pretty thin LB corp...

There, I fixed me for ya...

NormanPride
7/21/2006, 03:25 PM
Did you mention the QB drinks a lot? And the kicking game is terrible? I think we lose 6, if we're lucky.

HarrisTubbsFan
7/21/2006, 03:29 PM
We'll be ranked in every preseason top 10 for every year till Stoops retires probably. Even last year when we didn't deserve it was were ranked highly and were picked by some to win the South.

CU Sooner
7/21/2006, 03:34 PM
And what has Stoops done since winning the NC, no depth at DT except for unproven recruits. I mean last proved that the previous 5 years were flukes, we've been found out and we can't hide anymore, oh for the days of Blake when we didn't have to pretend.

soonerboy_odanorth
7/21/2006, 03:35 PM
WE

ARE

SCREWED!

I ain't sayin' that!...

I'm sayin' I don't want moron sportwriters givin' us the tire pump up the kazoo treatment without knowing what kind of team we really have and messin' up our vibe.

This team is still VERY young and is going to have to be VERY focused early in the season to have success. And they better not be listening to everyone telling them how good they are before trips to Oregon and then the Texas game. Not to mention, nobody seems worried even a little about Washington. And I hear they actually recruit D-1A athletes to that school...they might even lift weights... and stuff...

Ya know Ty Willingham is only about 3 years removed from being what everyone was calling the PERFECT choice for Notre Dame having gotten them a 10-win season. And now they are still talking about how "at least he was a good recruiter." I don't imagine he has forgotten how to recruit or coach at Washington.

ALL I'm sayin' (besides give peas a chance) is we better have it buckled up and battoned down starting Game 1. And this team is so young, do you think they are prepared to make that commitment as a seasoned veteran team would be? I certainly don't know. But they have to PROVE it!

In the meantime, I want the sportwonks to....GO AWAY....BEGONE.....VANISH in the face of the question asking is it a European or African Swallow?....

Flagstaffsooner
7/21/2006, 03:36 PM
That damn coach sucks. He throws maids down stairways. Good gawd in Heaven, give up back John Blake!

CU Sooner
7/21/2006, 03:42 PM
What has tOSU proved with all new defense, what has ND proved with a dense back that flatout sucked, what has saxet proved withour VY? This is OU, we expect championships, if you can't deal with it there's some orange to the northeast that doesn't have expectations and are never disappointed with there close loss to missouri state.

Soonerman08
7/21/2006, 04:15 PM
We return more proven on D than any of the best teams last year. Our defense finished strong, and our biggest losses coming with two players. Two that's it! Ingram and Dvoracek. Well we return the best defensive ends in the nation, 2nd best linebacking corps, and 4 capable lockdown cornerbacks and even our safeties aren't half bad either. This defense will return to the old Stoops defenses. We were smart when we went back to the classic college defenses, Stoops quickly realized it is damn near next to impossible to teach college kids a pro style defense. That being said Bo Pelini sucked!

soonerboy_odanorth
7/21/2006, 04:16 PM
What has tOSU proved with all new defense, what has ND proved with a dense back that flatout sucked, what has saxet proved withour VY? This is OU, we expect championships, if you can't deal with it there's some orange to the northeast that doesn't have expectations and are never disappointed with there close loss to missouri state.

Did I say I didn't expect championships? Tell me how you interpreted that was what I was saying so I can straighten you out, junior.

I'll tell you what I interpret from your post: You slap the boys on the *** and tell them how great they are as they're coming out of the locker room for pre-game warm-ups.

And the difference between you and me is that the only way I slap 'em on the *** and tell them how great they are is after they've kicked *** for four quarters -OR- to tell them to work harder and get better in the case that they haven't done that which we all expect... win.

But in either case, don't you ever cast me in an orange glow, kiddie kat. I was there when Mountaineers climbed Owen Field, when Trojans stained our turf, the day Bruce was the Earl of Norman, the day Jack and John went up the hill to fetch a bucket of pouring rain, and I have indeed seen an overland Hurricane, right inside Memorial Stadium. And none of that has ever or will ever deter my expectations or my love for the state of Oklahoma or the University of Oklahoma Sooners. You better get that through your fat head right now.

soonerboy_odanorth
7/21/2006, 04:20 PM
We return more proven on D than any of the best teams last year. Our defense finished strong, and our biggest losses coming with two players. Two that's it! Ingram and Dvoracek. Well we return the best defensive ends in the nation, 2nd best linebacking corps, and 4 capable lockdown cornerbacks and even our safeties aren't half bad either. This defense will return to the old Stoops defenses. We were smart when we went back to the classic college defenses, Stoops quickly realized it is damn near next to impossible to teach college kids a pro style defense. That being said Bo Pelini sucked!

I can drink most of that Koolaidtm, except for the part about 4 capable lockdown cornerbacks. You're counting two more than I am. We don't know a thing about the other two behind them other than what they can do against our own guys in spring practice.

the OOF
7/21/2006, 04:28 PM
just hopes soonerboy doesn't suffer from ulcers or any other anxiety disorder.

relax my friend! his name ain't mack brown. his name is Bob Stoops!:cool:

BOOMER SOONER!

NormanPride
7/21/2006, 04:31 PM
I can drink most of that Koolaidtm, except for the part about 4 capable lockdown cornerbacks. You're counting two more than I am. We don't know a thing about the other two behind them other than what they can do against our own guys in spring practice.

Really, we've got 3. Reggie, Wolfe, and Walker. Now... Walker's not totally healthy, but when has that stopped him? :D

CU Sooner
7/21/2006, 04:33 PM
Did I say I didn't expect championships? Tell me how you interpreted that was what I was saying so I can straighten you out, junior.

I'll tell you what I interpret from your post: You slap the boys on the *** and tell them how great they are as they're coming out of the locker room for pre-game warm-ups.

And the difference between you and me is that the only way I slap 'em on the *** and tell them how great they are is after they've kicked *** for four quarters -OR- to tell them to work harder and get better in the case that they haven't done that which we all expect... win.

But in either case, don't you ever cast me in an orange glow, kiddie kat. I was there when Mountaineers climbed Owen Field, when Trojans stained our turf, the day Bruce was the Earl of Norman, the day Jack and John went up the hill to fetch a bucket of pouring rain, and I have indeed seen an overland Hurricane, right inside Memorial Stadium. And none of that has ever or will ever deter my expectations or my love for the state of Oklahoma or the University of Oklahoma Sooners. You better get that through your fat head right now.

Nice pedigree, but i was there too. WHich should help you understand even how absurd your argument is. If memory serves correctly, we were ranked #3 after our leader JC graduated and ended 7-4-1. All I am saying is that there was a machine in Norman and it is back. Did it make you uncomfortable back then when we were consistently ranked so high without anything proved? No! We got the same respect then as we do now because we had a great coach who brought in great talent. Yeah, we have some questions but tell me who has any less than us? And let me say with your pedigree, my apologies to assuming you may be a bandwagoneer. BOOMER!!!

soonerboy_odanorth
7/21/2006, 04:36 PM
I don't... and I do.... but the meds are good... :D

AND I FLIPPIN' CANNOT WAIT UNTIL THE FIRST HINT OF PRACTICE GETS HERE, MUCH LESS THE SEASON!!!... breathe breathe breathe breathe

stir stir stir the pot... gently down the cyberstream...merrily merrily merrily merrily all 'horns suck a lot ...

NormanPride
7/21/2006, 04:43 PM
That doesn't rhyme, dude. :D

soonerboy_odanorth
7/21/2006, 04:53 PM
Nice pedigree, but i was there too. WHich should help you understand even how absurd your argument is. If memory serves correctly, we were ranked #3 after our leader JC graduated and ended 7-4-1. All I am saying is that there was a machine in Norman and it is back. Did it make you uncomfortable back then when we were consistently ranked so high without anything proved? No! We got the same respect then as we do now because we had a great coach who brought in great talent. Yeah, we have some questions but tell me who has any less than us? And let me say with your pedigree, my apologies to assuming you may be a bandwagoneer. BOOMER!!!

... to your point...7-4-1, then 8-4, then 8-4... and that is exactly my point... Switzer had a group of players (and I believe as was mentioned in Bootlegger's Boy a few coaches) that for a couple of years had to re-learn domination (on the field, on the recruiting trail, in preparation, etc....) It looks eerily familiar to me... and that was without the utter wall-to-wall glut of media coverage today. Uncomfortable? Not really, and not really now either. But talking heads talking up our boys I think recently got them, mentally at least, in a bit of trouble in a certain Orange Bowl of which we shall not mention. (Too late!) I'm saying 1.) I wish they'd (the media) shut the heck up and 2.) it should at least give folks a slight pause.

SOONER!!!

CU Sooner
7/21/2006, 04:57 PM
As long as Bomar is not the second coming of Kelly Phelps we will be fine, and I am pretty sure he will be better.

HarrisTubbsFan
7/21/2006, 05:02 PM
The media is never gonna "shut the heck up"

We're Oklahoma if we can't have a team that lives up to the hype we get every year then there's something wrong. Are the expectations high? Probably. But should we be complaining about what the media thinks? No. All that matters is what happens on the field. I don't know if we're in a down period like you think or if last year was more of a fluke. We did lose a lot of key players off last years team but we still have a lot of key players too.

Also another factor in why people think so highly of this team. AD really played in 5 games last year when he was completely healthy. The final game against Oregon was his only game under 100 yards. And he also had 220 yards against Tulsa when he wasn't 100%.

If AD were healthy 12 games last year he gets atleast 1900 yards and OU wins atleast 10 games. As inconsistant as we were at QB, OLine, and other positions on offense. AD being hurt was the real reason we lost 4 games in the end.

whiteagle
7/21/2006, 05:23 PM
I didnt realize sportswriters had kittens. :rolleyes:

goingoneight
7/21/2006, 09:05 PM
WHAT is the DEAL with us being everyone's little darling pick to win the Big XII? This team has proven zero, zip, nada... it just torques me when these sportwriting BOOBS don't give credit where credit is due. They don't even look at what they write themselves, to wit: We have one pre-season All-Big XII performer on offense, and one pre-season All-BigXII performer on defense. Texas has three... ON EACH SIDE OF THE BALL. They are going to have to hand-hold their QB's, but every other piece is settled for them, and pretty darn tootin' loaded with talent to boot. And, they're the reigning CHAMPS! Us? Questions on o-line, still some questions at receiver, no QB depth, no RB depth, no established tight end... and add to that a secondary that is one injury (to either Wolf or Smith) away from being very ordinary, a pretty thin LB corp... well you get the picture.

My point is, what has happened to teams recently that have accomplished little to nothing but been given all sorts of pre-season hoopla when they step on the field of the Cotton Bowl that first or second week of October? Squashed. That's what. Fortunately, we had been the team of some accomplishment that had taken it to the team of little to no accomplishment (Texas). Methinks the shoe now be on the other footsie.

And unlike the Tejanos, I think we rather like to PROVE ourselves than accept the blind and overly gratuitous glad-handing of sportwriter CLOWNS.

There. I said it. :mad:

I knew it!!! :rolleyes:

OKC-SLC
7/21/2006, 09:33 PM
I was there when Mountaineers climbed Owen Field, when Trojans stained our turf, the day Bruce was the Earl of Norman, the day Jack and John went up the hill to fetch a bucket of pouring rain, and I have indeed seen an overland Hurricane, right inside Memorial Stadium.
Well done, kind sir. I especially liked the 'stained' part.

(doomed, et al.)

Sooner Eclipse
7/21/2006, 09:58 PM
Despite the media's claims that "You can't say Mack can't win the big one anymore", they suspect (and rightly so) that Mack will revert from carefree FiddyCent Mack back to his more natural state of a shriveled member that is Costanza after swimming in the ocean.

Freshmen quarterbacks can do that to the best of coaches, much less someone like Mack who has perfected the art of flacidness. Macks gonna be so drawn up so tight this year they will need a porta-power to remove his new Ipod from his arse after every game.

Snrfn4ever08
7/21/2006, 10:47 PM
if i didn't know better, i'd say you were a whorn. why you gotta crash the party?:(

Sooner Eclipse
7/21/2006, 11:03 PM
if i didn't know better, i'd say you were a whorn. why you gotta crash the party?:(

Thems fightin words:D

Back to the original posters question. I honestly believe that the media in general doesn't think that mack can change his stripes any more than we sooners do. Thats why they are picking us ahead of :texan: .

If he and davis actually do show some creativity and nut up in the crucial moments of games with a freshman QB then I may have to start changing my opinion of him. But I want to see him do it without vinny in the backfield first first.

sooner518
7/22/2006, 01:51 AM
damn the media for our 8-4 record last year. I will never forgive them for that!

stoopified
7/22/2006, 07:22 AM
Regarding sportswriters,isn't more accrate to say DROWN THEIR LARVAE?After all they are maggots feeding off the corpse of sports.

Oldnslo
7/22/2006, 08:47 AM
I think you're overlooking what promises to be a very exciting team from Stillwater. Everybody knows that Gundy is THE new hot young coach in D1. How the Pokies got him is beyond me. They're going to be tough this year. TOUGH!

Plus, with their new stadium, they'll be recruiting like mad for evar! We're in for a hard time. I fear the tide has turned for football in the state of Oklahoma.

Snrfn4ever08
7/22/2006, 10:30 AM
Thems fightin words:D

Back to the original posters question. I honestly believe that the media in general doesn't think that mack can change his stripes any more than we sooners do. Thats why they are picking us ahead of :texan: .

If he and davis actually do show some creativity and nut up in the crucial moments of games with a freshman QB then I may have to start changing my opinion of him. But I want to see him do it without vinny in the backfield first first.
let's go:D

OKC-SLC
7/22/2006, 10:59 AM
I think you're overlooking what promises to be a very exciting team from Stillwater. Everybody knows that Gundy is THE new hot young coach in D1. How the Pokies got him is beyond me. They're going to be tough this year. TOUGH!

Plus, with their new stadium, they'll be recruiting like mad for evar! We're in for a hard time. I fear the tide has turned for football in the state of Oklahoma.
just like so many times before, OSU will become THE University of Oklahoma.

Gawd, I hate football season.

Scott D
7/22/2006, 11:21 AM
thanks odie, I feel pretty good about the season now ;)

soonerboy_odanorth
7/23/2006, 01:57 PM

You rat-bastard..... ;)

It's my party and I'll cry if I want to, cry if I want to, cry if I want to... You would cry too if we lost to T-U...

Kelly Phelps... GAH! Don't... say... that... name ... around... me .... ever.... again! EVAR!!!

"drown their larvae"... Love it!

soonerboy_odanorth
7/23/2006, 02:51 PM
ppsssssssst... Shh shh shh..... Don't tell anybody.... We have two full weeks to prepare for Texas this year... and don't let the media monkeys know, they might make us the favorite... shhh.... keep it on the DL, don't jinx it...

badger
7/23/2006, 10:30 PM
it's nice to be respected for once. I like writers who are not afraid to say what they think is the truth, and for people last your to say "reloading, not rebuilding" until it became as worn out as the "priceless" fad was not encouraging.

let's win the home opener THEN start talking about winning the big 12.