PDA

View Full Version : I have a serious problem

CatHunter
7/21/2006, 01:26 PM
I can't stop obsessing about my salary. I constantly wonder what everyone else in my field is making, and ironically it is messing up my career. Everytime I get a better offer from someone else, I jump ship and go to the new company. Then I wonder if that job is paying me what I am supposed to be paid. Will I grow out of this? It is really driving me mad. I go on Salary.com at least twice a day to make sure I am at least in the average. Do you have this problem? Well, I was going to post a poll, but alas.

jk the sooner fan
7/21/2006, 01:26 PM
dude, minimum wage is ALOT to worry about

CatHunter
7/21/2006, 01:28 PM
dude, minimum wage is ALOT to worry about

Heh. Maybe it is a military thing, at least we knew what we where supposed to be making.

White House Boy
7/21/2006, 01:28 PM
OCD is a baaaaaaaad thing.

CatHunter
7/21/2006, 01:31 PM
OCD is a baaaaaaaad thing.

Doesn't that make you a clean freak? Ya, I'm good.

Big Red Ron
7/21/2006, 01:32 PM
Start your own business and forgetaboutit!

jk the sooner fan
7/21/2006, 01:33 PM
Heh. Maybe it is a military thing, at least we knew what we where supposed to be making.

isnt that the truth! but then we complained that we werent making what our counterparts were making

Mjcpr
7/21/2006, 01:33 PM
The average salary in your field is much higher in Dallas. Have you considered moving?

CatHunter
7/21/2006, 01:35 PM
The average salary in your field is much higher in Dallas. Have you considered moving?

Nah, the Dallas posters are A-hole Whornlovers. Says alot about a city.

jk the sooner fan
7/21/2006, 01:35 PM

hahahahahahaha :D

Vaevictis
7/21/2006, 01:47 PM
I worry less about salary than I do about opportunity. If I was ever working for a company that had stagnated, and had all the positions above me filled with little chance of them being evacuated any time soon... that's when I would start looking for a new job.

If the company is growing, or there's turnover in the command structure above you, AND you do a better job than your peers, the salary should come on its own.

(That's been my experience anyway.)

LilSooner
7/21/2006, 02:11 PM
Constantly, but hey I'm a full commissioned rep now. No more salary for me. If I suck it up one month it's totally my fault for spending too much time on the interweb.

Although this month was pretty kick ***.

yermom
7/22/2006, 09:27 AM
how well does hunting cats pay, anyway? is that a per pelt kinda thing?

bri
7/22/2006, 10:02 AM
Heh...salary whore. :D

49r
7/22/2006, 10:46 AM
how well does hunting cats pay, anyway? is that a per pelt kinda thing?

Well, being able to wear a sombrero to work would kick ***, tho.

Okla-homey
7/22/2006, 11:00 AM
The rule of thumb used to be, strictly per the national averages, if you were at least making your age, you were beating the national average. Now, that ROT does not take into account differences like professions vs. occupations and stuff.

I do know that folks who go into debt to the tune of 50 - 150K for school and then start out making around 50 are definitely sucking wind for a long time until they get the debt retired.

oumartin
7/22/2006, 11:02 AM
the almighty dollar does not make one happy!
now,

I got me a good wife, I got my ole' fiddle, when the suns comin' up I got cakes on the griddle; Life aint nothin' but a funny,funny riddle.

sooner n houston
7/22/2006, 11:40 AM
Re: I have a serious problem

At least tell us something we didn't know! :D

yermom
7/22/2006, 11:50 AM
The rule of thumb used to be, strictly per the national averages, if you were at least making your age, you were beating the national average. Now, that ROT does not take into account differences like professions vs. occupations and stuff.

I do know that folks who go into debt to the tune of 50 - 150K for school and then start out making around 50 are definitely sucking wind for a long time until they get the debt retired.

i was way ahead of that rule... i'm quickly losing ground though

Tailwind
7/22/2006, 11:55 AM
I think I'm lucky just to have a job where i don't have to say "would you like fries with that?"

Okla-homey
7/22/2006, 12:13 PM
I think I'm lucky just to have a job where i don't have to say "would you like fries with that?"

I'm glad I have a job that does not require me to wear my name on my shirt.

oumartin
7/22/2006, 12:36 PM
I'm glad I have a job that does not require me to wear my name on my shirt

hey, I'm fixin' to have to go back to wearing shirts that will have my name on it and i must say the pay is worth it..

Tailwind
7/22/2006, 12:40 PM
I have to wear my name and title on my badge, but at least i don't have to soak up fryer grease. :D

oumartin
7/22/2006, 12:46 PM
I have to wear my name and title on my badge

massage parlors make you do that in Arizona? :D

Tailwind
7/22/2006, 01:02 PM
If only I worked at a massage parlor.....I'd proly make more money! :D

Okla-homey
7/22/2006, 02:04 PM
hey, I'm fixin' to have to go back to wearing shirts that will have my name on it and i must say the pay is worth it..

embroidered or a name tag? name tags are higher on the evolutionary chain than embroidered names.;)

oumartin
7/22/2006, 05:24 PM
i refuse to answer that.