PDA

View Full Version : behind bomar?

Sonner magic923
7/20/2006, 07:30 PM
for years now ive been perfectly at ease with OUr qb position when we had huepel I knew we had white behind him and then i knew we had bomar behind him. Now I know bomar is still young and probably not going anywhere for a while but could you guys ease my mind and school me on his backup.

HarrisTubbsFan
7/20/2006, 07:45 PM
I'm not 100% sold on Bomar. I think he'll be good but he still needs to get better. He did seem to do so the 2nd half of the season but he still had a tough time making decisions. Hopefully he'll continue to progress.

Hazle(sp?) is a juco so he has more experience then your typical newcomer. Although he wasn't that impressive in the spring he seems to have the running and passing abilities to atleast be solid in blowouts and maybe be okay if there's an injury. He's still not proven.

Bradford is tall, has a good arm, can run. Is a great athlete, played just about all sports in high school. But he's raw and has a lot to learn on the football field.

LoyalFan
7/20/2006, 07:52 PM
So, to sum up, we're doomed, right?
7-5, if we're lucky. 3-8 if you're correct.

LF

HarrisTubbsFan
7/20/2006, 08:07 PM
So, to sum up, we're doomed, right?
7-5, if we're lucky. 3-8 if you're correct.

LF

I don't know about that. I think Bomar could improve and we could be pretty good. I don't know about national championship or conference championship which is what everyone is predicting. But we'll be pretty decent. We need to give the ball to AD as much as possible. He's a guy that gets better with more carries. I would love to see him get atleast 25 carries a game.

Soonerman08
7/20/2006, 08:57 PM
I'm not 100% sold on Bomar. I think he'll be good but he still needs to get better. He did seem to do so the 2nd half of the season but he still had a tough time making decisions. Hopefully he'll continue to progress.

Hazle(sp?) is a juco so he has more experience then your typical newcomer. Although he wasn't that impressive in the spring he seems to have the running and passing abilities to atleast be solid in blowouts and maybe be okay if there's an injury. He's still not proven.

Bradford is tall, has a good arm, can run. Is a great athlete, played just about all sports in high school. But he's raw and has a lot to learn on the football field.

He was a freshman who had to come in behind a crappy O-Line and a group of new WRs!!! I'd say his record as a starter is pretty impressive and you look at the improvement he made throughout the season, you'd think people would remember that he has 3 years left. Look at Heupel his first season at OU, he came in as a JUCO and had a 7-5 season. Bomar was 9-2 his first season as a starter and the Holiday Bowl MVP. (I don't count the Tech "loss" it was a win in all honesty). He didn't start against TCU so I didn't credit that as a loss for him. With Heupel as his coach he'll only get better.

HarrisTubbsFan
7/20/2006, 08:59 PM
Heupel's first season he threw for about 4 or 5,000 yards and had 35 TDs. Bomar was progressing last year but he sthill threw 10 TDs and 10 INTs. I think he'll get better also but I'm not sure how much better he'll be this year.

SCOUT
7/20/2006, 09:01 PM
Heupel's first season he threw for about 4 or 5,000 yards and had 35 TDs. Bomar was progressing last year but he sthill threw 10 TDs and 10 INTs. I think he'll get better also but I'm not sure how much better he'll be this year.

Heupel was also a junior.

HarrisTubbsFan
7/20/2006, 09:05 PM
I don't disagree but another poster said Heupel was 7-5 his first year. So I had to argue against it a bit. I think Bomar is good and he'll leave as one of the best QBs in OU history. But it's hard to say he'll be great this year. He still has some things to learn. And he'll still have a young offensive line blocking him.

Sonner magic923
7/20/2006, 09:08 PM
not to mention all of bomars receivers are freshman and sophmores as well as a shaky offensive line

HarrisTubbsFan
7/20/2006, 09:16 PM
We don't have much to worry about with the recievers.

badger
7/20/2006, 10:41 PM
at least he's legal now.
http://www.okgazette.com/news/articlefiles/691-cfn2829_legal-copy.gif

jk the sooner fan
7/20/2006, 10:47 PM
heupel operated in an entirely different offense than Bomar

comparing their first seasons is silly

douxpaysan
7/20/2006, 11:00 PM
Heupel was also a junior.
I will be happier than a possum eating persimmons if Bomar turns out to be the gamer Heupel was.http://www.purplepug.com/BKGallery/Possum-closeup.gif

olevetonahill
7/20/2006, 11:00 PM
Just my 2 cents worth
When Rhetts career is over here . we will think he is the best thing since Stoops
Y'all get ready for 8 and 9 :cool:

SoonerJedi
7/20/2006, 11:51 PM

That was actually Heupel's third season. (first with OU though)

Rhett has a better arm than Heupel and better legs. He didn't make better decisions last year, but that could come with experience. Heupel is now the QB coach as I understand it.

HarrisTubbsFan
7/20/2006, 11:58 PM
He is. But also remember how good a QB coach Long is. I'm not saying Heupel is a bad QB coach or anything but he has coached a Heisman winner and a Heisman runner up and a Rose Bowl MVP that Long has. Heupel will be a great QB coach some day but it's his first year as a QB coach. He wasn't a QB coach at Arizona.

We can rip Long all day as a playcaller and we probably do so too much. We'll probably end up turning on Kevin Wilson when it's all said and done. There are so many offensive coordinators out there it's a popular job. But Long is a heck of a coach.

SoonerJedi
7/21/2006, 12:13 AM
We can rip Long all day as a playcaller and we probably do so too much. We'll probably end up turning on Kevin Wilson when it's all said and done. There are so many offensive coordinators out there it's a popular job. But Long is a heck of a coach.

I'm just saying that everything was opened up a lot more in the Holiday Bowl. It was a more unpredictable offense than anything we had ran in years.

BASSooner
7/21/2006, 12:59 AM
He is. But also remember how good a QB coach Long is. I'm not saying Heupel is a bad QB coach or anything but he has coached a Heisman winner and a Heisman runner up and a Rose Bowl MVP that Long has. Heupel will be a great QB coach some day but it's his first year as a QB coach. He wasn't a QB coach at Arizona.

Heupel will teach Bomar what Long taught him before and mix it in with a couple of his own philosophies.

whiteagle
7/21/2006, 01:14 AM
Of course Bomar was gonna make mistakes last year. He was a freshman QB, but he got better did he not? And if you remember Heupel did coach here a few years while White was here and even during some of the games you would see White walk straight to Heupel and have him tell him what he was seeing. I remember White saying it really helped him look at the whole defense. :pop:

soonerinabilene
7/21/2006, 08:54 AM

nick? is that you in there? i can hear you buddy! just hang on! I'll go get some help!

CU Sooner
7/21/2006, 11:15 AM
nick? is that you in there? i can hear you buddy! just hang on! I'll go get some help!

That's funny, I don't care who you are, that's funny! :D :D :D

Jason White's Third Knee
7/21/2006, 11:32 AM
Good lord, doesn't anyone remember that Leach (then Mangino) was the OC and that offense makes world beaters out of any wing armed kid that plays QB for Tech.

Bomar doesn't have to have 4000 yds passing. He's got a different OC and a pretty nice guy to hand the ball off to.

Hey, why do they call him AD anyway? Shouldn't it be AP?

Soonerman08
7/21/2006, 11:45 AM
Guys, guys why are we arguing about this??? We have Josh H. to help him out, he was our field general who got us our 7th Title. Plus you all forget Wilson was a QB coach at one time too! Our offense I feel will really open things up, if you watched the spring game we were a predominately passing team. I had an idea that we'll mostly be seeing a spread offense with a single back set most of the time. Probably either out of the gun or from under center.

soonerhubs
7/21/2006, 12:03 PM
Did this HarrisTubbsFan swallow Nick:eek: ?

soonerhubs
7/21/2006, 12:04 PM
Hey, why do they call him AD anyway? Shouldn't it be AP?

This question has plagued me for years. I just wish I knew the answer.:pop:

Soonerman08
7/21/2006, 12:12 PM
This question has plagued me for years. I just wish I knew the answer.:pop:

For the love of god he is called AD which stands for "All Day" a nickname given to him by his father. It meant to stand for he can run all day. :) Which is exactly what he can do. :D

HarrisTubbsFan
7/21/2006, 12:13 PM
Guys, guys why are we arguing about this??? We have Josh H. to help him out, he was our field general who got us our 7th Title. Plus you all forget Wilson was a QB coach at one time too! Our offense I feel will really open things up, if you watched the spring game we were a predominately passing team. I had an idea that we'll mostly be seeing a spread offense with a single back set most of the time. Probably either out of the gun or from under center.

I think we probably still run it more then we pass. Simply because of that running back tha'ts okay. But I agree we will have to be different then last year simply because we don't have the same type of blockers for the run game with JD and Moses gone. But AD needs to get it atleast 25 times a game.

soonerhubs
7/21/2006, 12:24 PM
For the love of god he is called AD which stands for "All Day" a nickname given to him by his father. It meant to stand for he can run all day. :) Which is exactly what he can do. :D
AAAAHHHHHH...

*The clouds are lifting*

Still looking for a "Boomer Sooner" ringtone though. :pop:

CU Sooner
7/21/2006, 12:48 PM
I think we probably still run it more then we pass. Simply because of that running back tha'ts okay. But I agree we will have to be different then last year simply because we don't have the same type of blockers for the run game with JD and Moses gone. But AD needs to get it atleast 25 times a game.

Now that's a novel idea. I wonder if KW knows about this kid they call AD(?). Sounds like he is a game changer.:rolleyes:

Jason White's Third Knee
7/21/2006, 12:51 PM

Yeah, but shouldn't it be A P ? His last name is Peterson. I don't get the AD thing.

CU Sooner
7/21/2006, 12:58 PM

He can also leap tall buildings in a single bound. :D

Jason White's Third Knee
7/21/2006, 01:04 PM
ADrian Peterson?

soonerinabilene
7/21/2006, 01:16 PM
ADrian Peterson?

i thought it stood for when the opposing coach screamed out "Ahh Dammit there he goes again"

soonerhubs
7/21/2006, 01:57 PM
ADrian Peterson?
You figured it out! How did you do it?

I was about to call a code breaker to work on it. :D