PDA

View Full Version : Hey 1TC

Mjcpr
7/20/2006, 11:32 AM
You hear about this yet?

Seven Die In Chickasha House Fire

CHICKASHA, Okla. (AP) -- Investigators in Chickasha are trying to determine why no one was able to escape a deadly fire that killed five children and two adults early Thursday morning.

Assistant City Manager Mike Brice says a neighbor reported the fire at 5 AM and firefighters arrived within two minutes to find flames coming out of the front of the home southeast of downtown.

Six victims were taken to a local hospital where they were pronounced dead. The seventh victim was found after firefighters put out fire.
Their names and ages haven't been released.

Brice says there are no bars on the windows to prevent anyone from escaping. He says authorities are also trying to find out if there were working smoke detectors in the home.

Firefighters say the did not hear smoke alarms when they entered the house.

Brice says the state fire marshal is being asked to help determine the cause of the blaze.

http://www.kotv.com/news/?107926

ChickSoonerFan
7/20/2006, 11:39 AM
That is so sad.

My little one had firefighters come to her daycare the other day to go over fire safety. She really took it to heart and when she came home she made me test the fire alarm, tell her how to get out of her room in case of a fire, asked how me and my other daughter would get out, where would we meet. She goes around feeling doors and walls now to see if they are hot. It was a good lesson.

1stTimeCaller
7/20/2006, 11:43 AM
oh crap. That's terrible. I guess they haven't released the names yet? I might have to call my grandmother and see who the family was.

Mjcpr
7/20/2006, 11:45 AM
http://www.kotv.com/pages/catimages/fatal-housefire-chickasha.jpg

Mjcpr
7/20/2006, 12:20 PM
CHICKASHA, Okla. (AP) -- A fire caused by an electrical problem in a refrigerator swept through a home early Thursday, killing seven family members who were overcome by smoke before they could escape, officials said.

A neighbor reported the fire at 5 AM and police arrived two minutes later to find flames shooting from the front of the one-story wood-frame structure, a mile south of the downtown area, Assistant City Manager Mike Brice said.

Firefighters quickly arrived and removed the seven people, none of whom had any vital signs. Resuscitation efforts were attempted without success.

Brice said the home had no working smoke detectors. One of those killed was found in a bathroom. The others were found in bedrooms. Some were near windows, apparently trying to escape before they were overcome.

This was the deadliest fire ever in this town of 17,000 people, about 40 miles southwest of Oklahoma City, Brice said.

"It is stunning to all of us when you lose this many people," he said. "It's a real tragedy."
The fire was traced to a fan motor in a refrigerator in the kitchen.

"The fan motor apparently seized up and overheated," he said. "It's rare."

Those killed in the fire were identified as a couple and their children: Thomas Raby, 33; Cindy McCurley, 34; Cicily, 12; Casey, 9; Casandra, 8; Chelsea 7, and Sidney, 1.

Some suburbs of Oklahoma City have been having trouble with water pressure because of a break in a water main earlier this week, but Brice said this was not a factor in fighting the fire. A fire hydrant 50 feet from the house was used to fight the blaze.

The home, which was extensively damaged but is still standing, was in a residential area that is about 50 years old.

Neighbors emerged from their homes early Thursday to watch the firefighting and rescue effort before many left the area to go to work.

Partial Qualifier
7/20/2006, 01:02 PM
Man, a whole family wiped out. How horrible.

Sooner_Bob
7/20/2006, 01:04 PM
Man . . . that's horrible.