PDA

View Full Version : OU And Game Officials: A Whine And Cheese Thread

FaninAma
7/20/2006, 09:53 AM
After reviewing last season and the absolutely horrendous officiating calls OU got against UCLA, UT and TT last year my paranoid side is starting to wonder if somehow Stoops has ingratiated himself with college football officials.

Now admittedly the refs in the UCLA game were from the PAC 10 who are notoriously bad homers, but the other games were in the Big 12 and besides the UT and TT games there was the OSU game where OU was called for about a bazillion penalties. You could also throw in the Oregon game where OU nearly lost because of the Peterson "fumble" and the atrocious pass interference call that allowed Oregon to keep the ball on an incomplete 4th down pass and eventually score to pull the game to within 3 in the 4th quarter.

And I am really hard pressed to recall any other team that had as many defensive turnovers taken away by penalties as OU had last year.

So what say you.....paranoia or something to be concerned about?

ultimatesooner1
7/20/2006, 10:45 AM
hopefully we don't have that problem this year. The phantom pass interference calls last year were frustrating

Herr Scholz
7/20/2006, 10:58 AM
The Longhorns have been the more penalized team in each of the past 4 RRS games. Last year, UT was penalized 12 times for 110 yards and OU 6 times for 50 yards. One bad pass interference call and there's a ref conspiracy against you? Puleez.

GottaHavePride
7/20/2006, 11:02 AM
Well, yeah. I mean, more penalties is to be expected from the team full of dirty thugs, but not from our team full of choirboys.

;)

Soonerman08
7/20/2006, 11:03 AM
The Longhorns have been the more penalized team in each of the past 4 RRS games. Last year, UT was penalized 12 times for 110 yards and OU 6 times for 50 yards. One bad pass interference call and there's a ref conspiracy against you? Puleez.

The ****ing refs couldn't even point out who the call was against half the time Whorn. You guys didn't get screwed out of a sure win because the ref was biased!! So shut your ****ing mouth Whorn!

Gandalf_The_Grey
7/20/2006, 11:19 AM
How is exactly do you take a pass interference penalty that takes away possesion and say it was just a 15 yard penalty. No...it is a huge penalty, an offsides penalty is 5 yards but does it really have an effect on the game!

NormanPride
7/20/2006, 11:23 AM

You know, that's the game I really have the least problem with. There were a couple bad calls on both sides, but our seem to hurt more because they probably would have prevented a huge blowout. Or at least made us look better.

Besides that game, though, we got completely hosed by the refs repeatedly last year. I really think it's more of a "didn't put ourselves in the right position" rather than a conspiracy. We put the refs in too many positions to make the play instead of us, and they ****ed up. It happens. It just happened a lot to us last year.

colleyvillesooner
7/20/2006, 11:44 AM
Well, yeah. I mean, more penalties is to be expected from the team full of gangstas, but not from our team full of choirboys.

;)

fixed.

Statalyzer
7/20/2006, 12:17 PM
One bad pass interference call and there's a ref conspiracy against you? Puleez.

It wasn't even a bad call. Venables and Wright knew their guy had committed PI before the ref called and Brent Venables said as much after the game.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
7/20/2006, 12:20 PM
the only beef i had was on the OL hold that freed charles for that long TD run. the ref was 5 yards away from the hold and reached for his flag and let it go. other than that, i thought it was a decently officiated game...

CobraKai
7/20/2006, 12:20 PM
It wasn't even a bad call. Venables and Wright knew their guy had committed PI before the ref called and Brent Venables said as much after the game.

Which one are you talking about? As you know, this occured on more than one occasion (INT called back by PI that refs could not identify # to Stoops...and replays didn't clearly reveal which player did it, since there was no blatant PI).

Gandalf_The_Grey
7/20/2006, 12:21 PM
Yeah, it actually probably was our best officiated game. But at that point, we were just outmatched and even if they tried to screw the horns they couldn't have.

Statalyzer
7/20/2006, 12:27 PM
I'm talking about the one that happened about midway through the 2nd quarter.

I don't remember any other interception being called back because of PI...

CobraKai
7/20/2006, 12:29 PM
I'm talking about the one that happened about midway through the 2nd quarter.

I don't remember any other interception being called back because of PI...

I think the point of the email is that this occured multiple times. It also happened in the UCLA game. I don't think the email was meant to say that because the Texas game had a few calls we did nto agree with the refs must hate us. This was a recurring pattern all season. I didn't have any particular problem with the Texas game, but I did with several others.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
7/20/2006, 01:00 PM
email? step away from the proposal...

CobraKai
7/20/2006, 01:27 PM
Ooops. No kidding. Proposal work results in brain not work so good. Email = post.

OUTrumpet
7/20/2006, 01:58 PM

I think the worst call in the past couple RRSO was when I think Derrick Johnson "intercepted" a pass that bounced off the turf in 2004...

CobraKai
7/20/2006, 02:29 PM
I thought Texas fans were no longer allowed to question the fact that the refs always stick it to us in Dallas? I didn't go to law school, but I thought that was the gist of the landmark court ruling, US v. Stanberry, 1984?

Herr Scholz
7/20/2006, 02:38 PM
I thought Texas fans were no longer allowed to question the fact that the refs always stick it to us in Dallas? I didn't go to law school, but I thought that was the gist of the landmark court ruling, US v. Stanberry, 1984?
So, one call constitutes a trend in your world? As in "refs always stick it to us"? :D

We've had more penalty yards in that game the past 4 years. I see you ignored that little factoid. That's a little more recent than a game 22 years ago BTW.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
7/20/2006, 02:40 PM
but 2 years ago, you did get a INT on a one hopper...

CobraKai
7/20/2006, 02:50 PM
So, one call constitutes a trend in your world? As in "refs always stick it to us"?

We've had more penalty yards in that game the past 4 years. I see you ignored that little factoid. That's a little more recent than a game 22 years ago BTW.

I guess my post's sarcasm was not well delivered. Or at least, not well received. It was a joke. If I wanted recent examples I probably would have thrown out last year when Reggie Smith was hand blocked (horse collared) on the long TD run, or perhaps the one hopper.

CobraKai
7/20/2006, 02:52 PM
You may have had more penalty yards because other than last year we tended to just kneel the ball on most downs after the second Q. ;)

Herr Scholz
7/20/2006, 03:16 PM
but 2 years ago, you did get a INT on a one hopper...
I'll admit that was a hideous call.

Herr Scholz
7/20/2006, 03:17 PM
I guess my post's sarcasm was not well delivered. Or at least, not well received. It was a joke.
Better get my sarcasm meter checked. ;)

C&CDean
7/20/2006, 03:23 PM
Dude, y'all got penalized more cause you committed more penalties. DOH. The penalties we're talking here were critical penalties that directly impacted the result of the game. That int. that got called back last year was at a point in the game where it was still a game. We had the ball on like y'all's 20, and a score would have put us ahead. The anal plunging we received later on Vinny W's passing (who the hell knew he could throw? never had before) aside, it was a decent game up til the ****ty call.

HarrisTubbsFan
7/20/2006, 03:57 PM
To me the officiating was the least of our worries last year. Even in the Tech game where there's the best arguement. We shouldn't have even been in a situation where that game was close. I would have liked to have seen us run some more clock on our last posession when AD made a great play. Nothing wrong with AD making a play of course. But with less time Tech may have not gotten the call.

There will always been bad calls and good calls. they are all officials. But if you lose control of a game you probably don't deserve to win it as much.

CU Sooner
7/20/2006, 04:12 PM
e should beat everyone by 3 td's so the refs can't have a chance. The tech game wasn't one missed call, it was 3 out of the last 5 plays. There 2 interceptions in the UCLA game. There was the interception and the obvious hold on Nic when Charles went 80 in the RRS. It was all year long. I'm paranoid i guess.

HarrisTubbsFan
7/20/2006, 04:15 PM
I think most fans are paranoid with officials. But if we are really better then the teams we play officials shouldn't decide games.

CU Sooner
7/20/2006, 04:17 PM
They shouldn't but they do, and worse, instant replay is supposed to keep that from happening and they still can't get it right.

Herr Scholz
7/20/2006, 04:25 PM
The penalties we're talking here were critical penalties that directly impacted the result of the game. That int. that got called back last year was at a point in the game where it was still a game.
Whether that int. got called back or not last year wouldn't have changed the final result of our game. Texas still wins big. Charles still runs for 80 up the gut. Your secondary still gets beaten a few times. Bomar still gets planted by Robison and Rod Wright still rumbles for a long defensive TD. Vince still does his thing. If you'd had a couple interceptions, it wouldn't have made a difference.

Luthor
7/20/2006, 04:26 PM
I watched the OU/UCLA game and the officiating was hideous. I realize some games are more messy than others but when its obviously one sided and gains momentum as the game goes along the officials stop looking professional and start looking idiotic. In the 1st half of the 05 CCG our OL was penalized 11 times. The CU OL was penalized 0 times. The fact that it didn't change the outcome of the game doesn't make it any less stupid. I think the Big XII has maybe 1 decent officiating crew and the rest are worthless.

Jello Biafra
7/20/2006, 04:26 PM

*bitchslapp*

shaddup WHORE..n! now get in there and fix me a turkey potpie!

HarrisTubbsFan
7/20/2006, 04:28 PM
I think in one of the NC seasons(I can't remember which one) OU was the most penelized team in the country. They still kicked everyone's ***. Officiating doesn't matter a lot if you are really good. Last year we weren't good enough seperate our selves like we have been the previous few years.

Jello Biafra
7/20/2006, 04:29 PM
Whether that int. got called back or not last year wouldn't have changed the final result of our game. Texas still wins big. Charles still runs for 80 up the gut. Your secondary still gets beaten a few times. Bomar still gets planted by Robison and Rod Wright still rumbles for a long defensive TD. Vince still does his thing. If you'd had a couple interceptions, it wouldn't have made a difference.

you, fat sir, have obviously NEVER donned a jock and i don't just say that because of the rumors i heard about your fruity ***......

football ESPECIALLY college football runs off of momentum. the int came at a cruicial time in the game. we intercept and score then hold you guys on the next series, the game is COMPLETELY different. believe it.

Jello Biafra
7/20/2006, 04:30 PM
I'll admit that was a hideous call.

REALLY?!?!? ya think?

Herr Scholz
7/20/2006, 04:33 PM
football ESPECIALLY college football runs off of momentum. the int came at a cruicial time in the game. we intercept and score then hold you guys on the next series, the game is COMPLETELY different. believe it.
Keep making excuses like Mack Brown. Keep believing you were actually in that game last year. I heard Bomar was still having nightmares about that one.

We whipped your butts. Believe that.

HarrisTubbsFan
7/20/2006, 04:36 PM
I'm sorry but penelties is just another excuse. Penelties didn't make us a 4 loss team last year. We just weren't as good last year as we have been. It's really that simple. We may be a bit better this year but it'll still be a young group. Either way penelties didn't change much last year. If we beat Tech last year would you really like the matchup against Bama's D?

CU Sooner
7/20/2006, 04:39 PM
Uh-yeah! Our offense was better at the end of the year and i don't think bama's offense would have even scored. It might have been similar to our last cotton bowl but we would have one by ten.

Jello Biafra
7/20/2006, 04:42 PM
Keep making excuses like Mack Brown. Keep believing you were actually in that game last year. I heard Bomar was still having nightmares about that one.

We whipped your butts. Believe that.

whatever.....difference is cheezedicker, bomar has three more years to lube up and fist your D as opposed to your last three heroes..... whats applecore doing again? simms falls down on his hands and knees nearly everytime harris gets near him when chicago and tampa hook up. it took the wonderlic wonder boy three attempts to even score a passing touchdown on us. until then, I had the exact same amount of td passes VY AND simmshad on OUS defense.

come back and talk to me when you have more ammo than "WE rulled jer aszes last year and joo no it!"

CU Sooner
7/20/2006, 04:43 PM

Take away that run and what did Charles do? I have to admit I really don't remember but I don't believe it was that much.

Jello Biafra
7/20/2006, 04:43 PM
Uh-yeah! Our offense was better at the end of the year and i don't think bama's offense would have even scored. It might have been similar to our last cotton bowl but we would have one by ten.

agreed. we woulda stomped a mudhole in bama last year.

Quack 10
7/20/2006, 04:45 PM
admittedly the refs in the UCLA game were from the PAC 10 who are notoriously bad homers

Muah, you 'aint seen nothing yet. Every official at Autzen Stadium on September 16 will be wearing a Thunder Green and Lightning Yellow Nike thong under their white pants.

Jello Biafra
7/20/2006, 04:46 PM
Take away that run and what did Charles do? I have to admit I really don't remember but I don't believe it was that much.

8 for 36 beyond the 80 yard run..... less than the young brothers.

Herr Scholz
7/20/2006, 04:48 PM
...come back and talk to me when you have more ammo than "WE rulled jer aszes last year and joo no it!"
And you keep living in the past. We currently have scoreboard and Bob Stoops hasn't been the same since his bro left. And Schmidty hates offensive linemen. And you don't have any proven safeties or a punter.

HarrisTubbsFan
7/20/2006, 04:48 PM
Bama's D last year was the best in the country. Our D was good at the end of the year but I'm not 100% sure if they shut down a saavy offense like Bama. Bama's offense wasn't great but it had lots of experience all over the field and was really tested. Playing a younger QB and a younger offense in Oregon was probably better for OU. Oregon did handle our offense well for about a half or so. Bama could have shut our offense down for an entire game not just a half.

Jello Biafra
7/20/2006, 04:49 PM
Muah, you 'aint seen nothing yet. Every official at Autzen Stadium on September 16 will be wearing a Thunder Green and Lightning Yellow Nike thong under their white pants.]

and we're still gonna beat ya like you stole something ;)

some teams just can't be beat by certain teams.......

for us its:
north carolina, syracuse, bama,.........

against us its:

ND, USC, (apparently) northwestern......

Herr Scholz
7/20/2006, 04:51 PM
He sprained his ankle on that play. He was hurt the rest of the game and for several weeks afterward. You'll see the Big XII 100M sprint champion's speed again this year, don't worry.

Jello Biafra
7/20/2006, 04:52 PM
And you keep living in the past. We currently have scoreboard and Bob Stoops hasn't been the same since his bro left. And Schmidty hates offensive linemen. And you don't have any proven safeties or a punter.

and even with all of that said......our defense is going to smack a roid hickey on your QB big enough to run maddog through. hide and watch. you can same scoreboard and bleh bleh bleh but stoops is gonna MAKE mack quit football. just wait.

Jello Biafra
7/20/2006, 04:55 PM
He sprained his ankle on that play. He was hurt the rest of the game and for several weeks afterward. You'll see the Big XII 100M sprint champion's speed again this year, don't worry.

rofl you frikkin homeowner! yeh we'll see him. on the bottom of a pile getting his taint punched.

so what did peterson have? he still had 10 yards on three carries. and he only played three downs. whats your point?

Herr Scholz
7/20/2006, 04:58 PM
so what did peterson have? he still had 10 yards on three carries. and he only played three downs. whats your point?
My point is a completely healthy Charles will show this year what he can do when he gets more touches. The fastest man in the conference will have a ton more opportunities with Taylor and VY gone. Your secondary will be chasing him down the field again.

Unlike you guys, we'll EASILY have one of the top 5 OLs in the nation. I think I could look OK running behind Justin Blalock.

CU Sooner
7/20/2006, 05:01 PM
Towards his own goal line no less

Jello Biafra
7/20/2006, 05:02 PM
Unlike you guys, we'll EASILY have one of the top 5 OLs in the nation. I think I could run behind Justin Blalock and just stare.

mmmhhmmmm i knew it.

as far as the rest of it goes......whatever. we'll see second week in october at around 11:00 am

Jello Biafra
7/20/2006, 05:05 PM
My point is a completely healthy Charles will show this year what he can do when he gets more touches. The fastest man in the conference will have a ton more opportunities with Taylor and VY gone. Your secondary will be chasing him down the field again.

Unlike you guys, we'll EASILY have one of the top 5 OLs in the nation. I think I could look OK running behind Justin Blalock.

wanna bet?? :) as i recall, you ducked me when i made my bet.
peterson has more yards and less carries than charlie.....

Herr Scholz
7/20/2006, 05:07 PM
as far as the rest of it goes......whatever. we'll see second week in october at around 11:00 am
Yes we will and I've already got my hotel booked and my game ticket. At this point, however, we still own you by 33 points. And if you score a single TD for the 3rd year in a row, I like our chances.

SouthFortySooner
7/20/2006, 05:08 PM
Uhh, if Stoops had ingratiated himself with the officials wouldn't we get less bad calls? :P

Herr Scholz
7/20/2006, 05:10 PM
wanna bet?? :) as i recall, you ducked me when i made my bet.
peterson has more yards and less carries than charlie.....
I don't remember that bet offer. I just started a new job so I was out of pocket for a couple of weeks there. But I'll take that bet. I'll bet that Charles has a better YPC stat than Peterson. I'll also bet that UT has more rushing yardage than OU.

colleyvillesooner
7/20/2006, 05:10 PM
Yes we will and I've already got my hotel booked and my game ticket. At this point, however, we still own you by 33 points. And if you score a single TD for the 3rd year in a row, I like our chances.

Why stop at last year when calculating the owning?

How about since 2000? How about a 102 points?

How about to 1996? Still 61 points.

Skewing data your way is fun. :D

Soonerman08
7/20/2006, 05:11 PM

Charles isn't faster than Adrian Peterson....there is no way in hell Jamaal Charles ran a 4.3 40.

Herr Scholz
7/20/2006, 05:14 PM
Charles isn't faster than Adrian Peterson....there is no way in hell Jamaal Charles ran a 4.3 40.
I guess you didn't see that he's the Big XII sprint champion. Made a very good showing at the national championship meet as well. He's the fastest MAN in the Big XII not just the fastest football player. If you think Peterson can outrun Charles, you're high.

HarrisTubbsFan
7/20/2006, 05:15 PM
I think on the football field no running back is as good as AD.

colleyvillesooner
I don't remember that bet offer. I just started a new job so I was out of pocket for a couple of weeks there. But I'll take that bet. I'll bet that Charles has a better YPC stat than Peterson. I'll also bet that UT has more rushing yardage than OU.

You talking yards rushed by Running backs only, or yardage after sacks are backed off. Be clear. :D

Jello Biafra

and if we hold you to..........pffft....

listen dude. with the exception of this past year, you guys have been held down and prison raped. you will assume your position this year. bank on it.

bet is out there again or will you again turn into a labia majora???

you win.....i go away till 2 a days next year.
i win......you go back to your closet, pull out your ky and magazines not to be heard from again till national signing day...

Herr Scholz
Why stop at last year when calculating the owning?

I don't know, because it's the last time we played? As in, we currently have scoreboard?

colleyvillesooner
7/20/2006, 05:16 PM
I guess you didn't see that he's the Big XII sprint champion. Made a very good showing at the national championship meet as well. He's the fastest MAN in the Big XII not just the fastest football player. If you think Peterson can outrun Charles, you're high.

Football field speed is different.

colleyvillesooner
7/20/2006, 05:18 PM
I don't know, because it's the last time we played? As in, we currently have scoreboard?

I mean this in the nicest way possible:

Go **** yourself. :D

The last 5 years melted away after last years win. Enjoy scoreboard. It's not gonna last long.

Herr Scholz
You talking yards rushed by Running backs only, or yardage after sacks are backed off. Be clear. :D
Total rushing yards per team. Including everything. I understand you not liking this as Bomar's sacks will hurt you here. :)

I bet that Charles has a better yards per rush average than Peterson and that UT has more rushing yardage than OU.

Jello Biafra

news flash

football has contact in it.....

sprinting has.... ummm nothing.

Herr Scholz
7/20/2006, 05:19 PM
you win.....i go away till 2 a days next year.
i win......you go back to your closet, pull out your ky and magazines not to be heard from again till national signing day...
If you'll go back and look at that thread, you'll see I already accepted this bet. I think I was the first one to step up BTW.

Herr Scholz
7/20/2006, 05:21 PM
I understand football is different than track. For example, Charles only had to sprint 80 yards in our football game vs. a whole 100M in track.

Jello Biafra
7/20/2006, 05:22 PM
I understand you not liking this as Bomar's sack

ROFL we don't but, we hear you take it on the chin.....

screw all this.

AD has more TOTAL yardage
You lose if both of these dont' happen, i lose.

I win you leave till national signing day
you win i leave till next august.

Herr Scholz
7/20/2006, 05:25 PM
AD has more TOTAL yardage...
I'm not betting that. That's a sucker bet. We'll be splitting time between Charles and Selvin Young. On the other hand, Stoops will be running Peterson into the ground as usual.

Let's bet total rushing per team or yards per carry per RB or just bet the winning team. I'm open to all 3 of those bets.

Herr Scholz
7/20/2006, 05:26 PM
I mean this in the nicest way possible:

Go **** yourself. :D

The last 5 years melted away after last years win. Enjoy scoreboard. It's not gonna last long.
;) It's been fun. Catch you guys tomorrow.

Jello Biafra
7/20/2006, 05:28 PM
I'm not betting that. That's a sucker bet. We'll be splitting time between Charles and Selvin Young. On the other hand, Stoops will be running Peterson into the ground as usual.

Let's bet total rushing per team or yards per carry per RB or just bet the winning team. I'm open to all 3 of those bets.

rofl ok. whatever. i m saying our defense is going to make your offense look like a junior varsity high school team. total yardage, stoops running peterson in the ground, kickers running fake field goals every other time on the field whatever..... ill take it.

Gandalf_The_Grey
7/20/2006, 07:00 PM
I bet in 4 years that Bomar has a better career record against texas than Vince Young had against OU ;)

Soonerman08
7/20/2006, 07:30 PM
Just face it fellow Sooners Whorns are and always will be retards. The fact that they think that Charles is better than Peterson is just ridiculous. Peterson is the best running back in the nation hands down, there is no comparison. His speed, strength, and elusiveness is unmatched by all the other backs in the nation. A 6'2" 223 lb. person that has 4.3 speed is crazy! Not being biased but Peterson aside we still have as good a group of running backs than Texas does. Patrick, Murray, Guttierez, Madu, and Brown it is hard to beat that stable of backs.

OKC-SLC
7/20/2006, 08:49 PM
a completely healthy Charles will show this year what he can do when he gets more ******s
heh.

1991SOONER
7/20/2006, 09:32 PM
I bet in 4 years that Bomar has a better career record against texas than Vince Young had against OU ;)

WORD

PS - Gandalf, your avatar is fun to look at:D

olevetonahill
7/20/2006, 10:53 PM
Talk about A sucker bet :D spek

Gandalf_The_Grey
7/20/2006, 11:04 PM
Thank God the D.A. figured out a way to stop Romance Taylor...I mean he was the greatest thing since sliced bread ;)

badger
7/20/2006, 11:10 PM
How is it that one whorn (aka Herr) takes on 20 sooners at once?

Y'know what Herr? You won't have this guy next year:
http://i.xanga.com/ioNightShade/vince%20young%20texas.jpg
He's been good for us (and not), but whoever follows him will be quite bad for you... which is good for us.

Prepare to see light blue seats by 4th quarter on UT's side...

FaninAma
7/21/2006, 08:37 AM
I would like to ask the resident Horn fans a question regarding the officiating of the OU-UT series:

In your lifetime have you ever seen a bad or even questionable officiating call that , in essence, decided the game in OU's favor?

I can think of at least 2 games where bad or questionable calls helped UT avoid defeat or win the game. The first of course is the notorious Stansberry interception game. The second happened in the early 90's when Gibbs was the coach and OU was winning until a late very questionable roughing the passer call against Gardere(I think) gave Texas another set of downs after he had been sacked on 4th down. The Horns subsequently scored a TD on a slant pass over the middle and won the game.

In fact, can Horn fans even bring up any questionable calls in the series that they can point to as support that the refs' call turned the momentum of the game to OU?

Sooner Schemer
7/21/2006, 08:54 AM
The second happened in the early 90's when Gibbs was the coach and OU was winning until a late very questionable roughing the passer call against Gardere(I think) gave Texas another set of downs after he had been sacked on 4th down. The Horns subsequently scored a TD on a slant pass over the middle and won the game.
I remember that game. I think it was '89. Total BS call.

One of our D-Linemen had Gardere by the ankle and as he tried to spin away another lineman - Backes, I think - nailed him square in the chest.
I think the penalty was unnecessary roughness since Gardere wasn't in the act of throwing.

If I remember correctly, that was on third down, and Texass should have been facing 4th-and-20 or more from around the 40-yard line, with very little time left. Instead, the penalty gave them a first down at about the fifteen.

Without that call, Peter Gardere doesn't go 4-0 versus OU.

Herr Scholz
7/21/2006, 09:30 AM
I would like to ask the resident Horn fans a question regarding the officiating of the OU-UT series:
We don't focus on the officiating. We just play the game. Now, sometimes we complain about the wind afterward or the clock not being long enough, but that's a different story. ;)

FaninAma
7/21/2006, 09:35 AM
We don't focus on the officiating. We just play the game. Now, sometimes we complain about the wind afterward or the clock not being long enough, but that's a different story. ;)

The old tricky wind and fast clock conspiracies. :texan:

I bet you guys would howl like gut shot panthers if you ever did get a bad call that decided the game or changed momentum in a close game.

Herr Scholz
7/21/2006, 09:50 AM
We had some big calls go against us in both the Ohio State and USC games last year and we played through them. I see your point though.

sooner94
7/21/2006, 10:02 AM
We had some big calls go against us in both the Ohio State and USC games last year and we played through them. I see your point though.

What were the bad calls that went against Texas in the NC game? The only bad call in general I remember (I qualify this question with the fact that I consumed a lot of alcoholic beverages that evening) was when VY's knee was down before he pitched the ball on that first half TD run.

NormanPride
7/21/2006, 10:29 AM
What were the bad calls that went against Texas in the NC game? The only bad call in general I remember (I qualify this question with the fact that I consumed a lot of alcoholic beverages that evening) was when VY's knee was down before he pitched the ball on that first half TD run.

Yeah, no kidding. You guys got the benefit in that one. That whole game went your way. Spots, bounces, penalties, everything. And the tOSU game was just horridly officiated. More bad ones went to Texas, but the Buckeyes got some ripe calls as well.

As for Chuckles destroying us... We'll see. I contend that your entire offense will have to learn how to deal without VY. You just can't lose a player like that and not miss a beat. For goodness' sake, he was your entire offense!

Soonerman08
7/21/2006, 11:58 AM
Yeah, no kidding. You guys got the benefit in that one. That whole game went your way. Spots, bounces, penalties, everything. And the tOSU game was just horridly officiated. More bad ones went to Texas, but the Buckeyes got some ripe calls as well.

As for Chuckles destroying us... We'll see. I contend that your entire offense will have to learn how to deal without VY. You just can't lose a player like that and not miss a beat. For goodness' sake, he was your entire offense!

Now now fellow Sooners in their small Whorn mentalities they have the (let's see here I have devised a list of how they can win a National Title from inexperience at the most important offensive position)....Ahem as follows..."best Wide receiving corps in the nation :P , the best running back tandem in the nation (what the hell were we thinking that Peterson was so great?) :rolleyes: , ahhh yessss of course that was just one side of the ball, on the other side they believe their defense is even better grant it they lost Huff who I believe won the Thorpe award. (Though I could be wrong about that)." That being said .....let's see what we have returning to us, ummmmm did I mention Adrian Peterson??? Bomar who was offensive MVP from the Holiday Bowl, and our entire WR corps (who only got better). CHUCK LONG! (That had to be thrown in there). That isn't even the best part of our team......our defense (after all defense wins championships). Let's see here......Defensive ends consists of the best rotation in the nation, 2nd best linebacking corps in the nation, two of the #1 Defensive tackles in the nation out of high school (McCoy is a hoss), ummmm oh yes can't forget Pendleton. Now on to secondary (weakest link the past few years, actually looks to be one of our strengths). At corner DJ Wolfe, Marcus Walker, and of course who could forget Reggie Smith and Lendy Holmes. Finally 4 lockdown cornerbacks and at safety......Nic Harris, Keenan Clayton, Darrien Williams, and Jason Carter. Williams and Carter have pretty good experience. Ohhh yes of course and who could forget how the whorns don't think that our defensive line can break through their "#1 offensive line". Boy we sure are screwed come October. :cool:

Gandalf_The_Grey
7/21/2006, 01:08 PM
Well you also have to realize it was difficult to blitz with Young there because you wanted to keep as many defenders between him and the end zone as possible. Take Ohio St....they had A.J. Hawk shadowing Vince all nite long. What would A.J. have been doing had Colt McCoy been the QB? They would have been using alot more twists and blitzes. The offensive line for Texas has been fully tested yet.

CU Sooner
7/21/2006, 01:14 PM
When will the review for Whine and Cheese start. It's lunchtime and I'm getting pretty hungry.

Statalyzer
7/21/2006, 02:03 PM
If all 3 defensive units are among the top 2 in the country, why was OU 37th in scoring D last year?

I think the worst call in the past couple RRSO was when I think Derrick Johnson "intercepted" a pass that bounced off the turf in 2004...

Depends on what you mean by worst. Biggest "swing" created by the call? Probably.

Dumbest ref move? No way. It wasn't obvious in real time, and there was no instant replay, and it took replay to prove that it hit the ground.

Your wording is a bit interesting since it makes it sound like the ball hit the turf then bounced up into Derrick Johnson's hands - which a ref would have had to have been blind not to see. Another player tipped the ball to Derrick right as the ball was about to hit the ground, and replay showed that while the other guy had the ball in his hands, the tip of the ball touched the turf.

Definitely a huge momentum-changing mistake, but an understandable mistake given that without replay you just couldn't tell for sure.

The RRW in my opinion has been called pretty well as of late. The main call I remember hurting UT was in 2003 on our first possesion Chance Mock completed a pass to BJ Johnson for a first down, who clearly got a foot in-bounds, but they ruled it incomplete. So now it's 3rd down and we throw an interception and it was all downhill from there....

Hey, and using your guy's logic, that started the momentum your way when the momentum was even before, so that was a game changing call. Remember the score was 0-0 then and we might have gone on and not thrown that INT since it wouldn't have been 3rd and long....

ZsoonersRule
7/21/2006, 02:11 PM
Depends on what you mean by worst. Biggest "swing" created by the call? Probably.

Dumbest ref move? No way. It wasn't obvious in real time, and there was no instant replay, and it took replay to prove that it hit the ground.

Your wording is a bit interesting since it makes it sound like the ball hit the turf then bounced up into Derrick Johnson's hands - which a ref would have had to have been blind not to see. Another player tipped the ball to Derrick right as the ball was about to hit the ground, and replay showed that while the other guy had the ball in his hands, the tip of the ball touched the turf.

Definitely a huge momentum-changing mistake, but an understandable mistake given that without replay you just couldn't tell for sure.

The RRW in my opinion has been called pretty well as of late. The main call I remember hurting UT was in 2003 on our first possesion Chance Mock completed a pass to BJ Johnson for a first down, who clearly got a foot in-bounds, but they ruled it incomplete. So now it's 3rd down and we throw an interception and it was all downhill from there....

But that's the only definitely bad call I can think of.
RRW has all been down hill for "ut" since STOOPS arrived...

soonerboy_odanorth
7/21/2006, 02:17 PM
Bottom line is if you take the '84 game alone, the football gods owe us like... another 20 5-game OU winning streaks for every single Texas win... that might finally square whatever deal was made with the devil that day... I tell you... (mutters to self)...

Gandalf_The_Grey
7/21/2006, 02:18 PM
I don't know I always thought the Real Roy Williams has been on a healthy upward swing of late!

Herr Scholz
7/21/2006, 02:45 PM
Drew Kelson made an interception in the 1st half when he was covering Reggie Bush and when he hit the ground, it came loose. The called it incomplete. That call went against us. They gave Lendale White an extra half yard on that 4th quarter 4th down measurement. Easily an extra half yard. We got hosed on our last drive on that facemask call (they only gave us 5 yards when that was an obvious personal foul - he tackled him by the facemask). We got hosed on that second to last drive as well when Limas Sweed was obviously out of bounds and the refs let an extra 30 seconds run off the clock (that's when it was about 5:00 minutes and we needed 2 TDs).

What were all the calls we got in that game, Norman Pride? We got that one good bounce when Bush lateraled. We lost Aaron Ross's fumble in the 1st quarter though (equal out). They missed the call with Vince's knee down, but I don't know what you mean by we got all the calls and spots (especially with those missed calls I detailed above). I don't see it. Besides, they didn't even call that many penalties in the game. USC had 5 and we had 4.

In the Ohio State game, the Buckeyes fumbled in the 4th quarter on a kickoff and we recovered it but they ruled him down. They also rooked us out of Henry Melton's TD over the pylon in the 4th quarter.

Herr Scholz
7/21/2006, 03:12 PM
Yeah, no kidding. You guys got the benefit in that one. That whole game went your way. Spots, bounces, penalties, everything.

Please detail all the things that went our way in the Rose Bowl besides the Vince Young knee call.

ZsoonersRule
7/21/2006, 03:14 PM
Please detail all the things that went our way in the Rose Bowl besides the Vince Young knee call.
SCOREBOARD

NormanPride
7/21/2006, 03:17 PM
Drew Kelson made an interception in the 1st half when he was covering Reggie Bush and when he hit the ground, it came loose. The called it incomplete. That call went against us. They gave Lendale White an extra half yard on that 4th quarter 4th down measurement. Easily an extra half yard. We got hosed on our last drive on that facemask call (they only gave us 5 yards when that was an obvious personal foul - he tackled him by the facemask). We got hosed on that second to last drive as well when Limas Sweed was obviously out of bounds and the refs let an extra 30 seconds run off the clock (that's when it was about 5:00 minutes and we needed 2 TDs).

What were all the calls we got in that game, Norman Pride? We got that one good bounce when Bush lateraled. We lost Aaron Ross's fumble in the 1st quarter though (equal out). They missed the call with Vince's knee down, but I don't know what you mean by we got all the calls and spots (especially with those missed calls I detailed above). I don't see it. Besides, they didn't even call that many penalties in the game. USC had 5 and we had 4.

In the Ohio State game, the Buckeyes fumbled in the 4th quarter on a kickoff and we recovered it but they ruled him down. They also rooked us out of Henry Melton's TD over the pylon in the 4th quarter.

I'll agree the Kelson int was a terrible call, especially considering all the time they had on it and the great angles they had to look at. The ref must have misunderstood the rules (or we have). As for the extra half yard, facemask, and out-of-bounds calls, those were all really tight calls in a frenzied atmosphere. Personally, I didn't think the LenDale call was bad, and I thought the Sweed call was iffy. The facemask was obvious, but refs blow that stuff all the time.

The "knee" TD was one call, along with a couple spots on the USC side. I remember thinking that USC was getting all the worst spots possible near the end of the game, not that it made much of a difference. As you said, the officiating wasn't the real issue. The real issue was the bounces in the game. The inches that sometimes you get, sometimes you don't. Bush's fumble. The int in the corner of the end zone. A LB slips to open up a TE. Incomplete passes by USC that were never incomplete the entire season. Texas obviously out-hearted USC, and USC was obviously unprepared for a talent like Young. It was like what happened to us in the '05 championship, really.

Again, I'm not saying Texas didn't deserve to win. I'm just saying the game went Texas' way almost the whole time.

Statalyzer
7/21/2006, 03:18 PM
SCOREBOARD

What part of "Spots, bounces, penalties" do you not understand?

The real issue was the bounces in the game. The inches that sometimes you get, sometimes you don't. Bush's fumble. The int in the corner of the end zone.

Bush's fumble - yeah that was a bounce that could have gone either way.

The INT in the endzone? That wasn't a break that went our way, that was a great defensive play.

CU Sooner
7/21/2006, 03:58 PM
Just so we can get back to where we should be, I watched 04 RRS and besides the faux johnson int, there was 15 yd run by AD called back because Davin buried a db and they called holding. Brandon Jones catches a 30 yd pass take s two steps, is stripped and recovers, and the officials call incomplete. The refs suck orange who cares about the rose!

Herr Scholz
7/21/2006, 04:23 PM
Again, I'm not saying Texas didn't deserve to win. I'm just saying the game went Texas' way almost the whole time.
I see what you're saying. Some games just seem like fate sometimes.

Sooner_Havok
7/21/2006, 07:56 PM

I was at that game in the south endzone. We all saw the ball hit the ground, then turned to look up at the jumbotron when all of a sudden we hear the Texas side cheering. We couldn't figure out what had happened. In the south endzone we saw the ball hit the ground, but the the officials on the field somehow missed it? I didn't need replay for that one!

Side Note, I loved that game cause our crappy seats were right next to the tunnel, I got to see Vince ball like a baby holding up his longhorns and looking straight down. It was awesome, the only time he looked up for just a second, his lips were all pouty and tears were rolling off his cheeks!

soonercody
7/22/2006, 09:28 AM
TT was the worst officiated game I've seen. And yes, I think Stoops' penchant for sideline dramatics hurts his credibility with officials. I love the guy as our coach and his passion for the game is obvious but with the stiped dudes a little diplomacy seems to be the better approach. Now in the case of the Lubbock Ref last year that completely took over the 4th quarter of the OU/tt game, dood should be scratched and never call another OU (or tt) game again. All that said, the optimist in me says that even though officials probably flip a coin to decide who has to be on Stoops' sideline, I trust that they don't have any interest in the outcome of the game in terms of winners and losers. I've known lots of officials and what they usually hope (and the religious pray for during their pre-game meetings) is for a good game where the winner is decided on the field and folks don't remember much about the officiating at all.

stoopified
7/23/2006, 02:54 PM
the only beef i had was on the OL hold that freed charles for that long TD run. the ref was 5 yards away from the hold and reached for his flag and let it go. other than that, i thought it was a decently officiated game...I thought I was the only one to see that.

Jello Biafra
7/23/2006, 07:23 PM
And yes, I think Stoops' penchant for sideline dramatics hurts his credibility with officials. I love the guy as our coach and his passion for the game is obvious but with the stiped dudes a little diplomacy seems to be the better approach. .

screw that bullsh*t. those guys get paid. WELL. they need to be above and beyond neutral. it is stoops' job to make sure his boys aren't getting screwed and if it means the refs not taking a play off, so be it.

Statalyzer
7/24/2006, 01:18 AM
I was at that game in the south endzone. We all saw the ball hit the ground, then turned to look up at the jumbotron when all of a sudden we hear the Texas side cheering. We couldn't figure out what had happened. In the south endzone we saw the ball hit the ground, but the the officials on the field somehow missed it? I didn't need replay for that one!

Maybe that's due to the fact that when you see something like that, within 0.0001 seconds every single OU fan at the game instantly knows beyond all doubt that it hit the ground and every single UT fan at the game instantly knows beyond all doubt that it didn't, no matter which one is correct.

Or maybe you just had a better angle than I had. Watching it on TV I was thinking "Dang what a great play, but I hope he got it before it hit the ground." That sort of play is why replay is needed - it would have easily been overturned.

CU Sooner
7/24/2006, 09:17 AM
TT proves nothing is easily overturned, they only got 1 out 3 that should have been easily overturned.