PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 College QBs of all time.

SOONER44EVER
7/20/2006, 05:48 AM
What a freaking joke. Too bad nobody got to see Steve Davis.

http://www.collegefootballnews.com/2006/TQ/Tuesday_Question.htm

Top 10 “Option/Running” QBs
1. Vince Young, Texas
2. Tommie Frazier, Nebraska
3. Brad Smith, Missouri
4. Darian Hagan, Colorado
5. Tony Rice, Notre Dame
6. Jamelle Holieway, Oklahoma
7. Donovan McNabb, Syracuse
8. Major Harris, West Virginia
9. Michael Vick, Virginia Tech
10. (Tie) Woody Dantzler, Clemson, Dee Dowis, Air Force and Jack Mildren, Oklahoma

Partial Qualifier
7/20/2006, 07:07 AM
Some of those lists are just funny. Like their staff is mostly teenagers or something.

Brad Smith, Darian Hagan and Tony Rice better running QB's than Jamelle??

WTFE

Landthief 1972
7/20/2006, 08:20 AM
Putting Brad Smith over Jamelle is just retarded. Smith couldn't play consistently over the span of more than 2 games, and wooweee, look at his AWESOME career record! :rolleyes:

soonerlaw
7/20/2006, 09:01 AM
What! No Seneca Wallace? I mean he should have won the heisman (except he got stomped on a rainy day in Norman).

Tear Down This Wall
7/20/2006, 10:35 AM
There were like four writers who answered, so look at them all to be fair. Vince wasn't #1 on that guy's total list, just option. One guy, Richard Cirminiello, didn't even list Young in his Top Ten.

Quack 10
7/20/2006, 10:48 AM
Friends don't let friends read CFN.

IronSooner
7/20/2006, 10:53 AM
The recency effect on those lists is always hilarious.

Soonerman08
7/20/2006, 11:04 AM
I'd rather have Heupel than Vince Young, Heupel was a smarter quarterback.

Partial Qualifier
7/20/2006, 11:08 AM
VY his final year; sure I'd take him. You'd be crazy not to. But not if I had to endure his first 2/3 years, whatever it was.

GottaHavePride
7/20/2006, 11:08 AM
Well, yeah, overall, but the list he posted was for option/running QBs, and Heupel should definitely not be on that list.

TheGodfather889
7/20/2006, 12:15 PM
I've seen both Vince Young and Tommie Frazier play. And I simply just don't think Young is better than Fraizer. Tommie Frazier is the greatest option quarterback. He just couldn't be stopped.

Sooner in Tampa
7/20/2006, 12:37 PM
Jamelle at #6 make this list a damn joke.

Damn...I hate CFN

soonerinabilene
7/20/2006, 12:49 PM
no charles thompson?

HarrisTubbsFan
7/20/2006, 04:09 PM
One year doesn't make a QB great. If Young was so great why did he basically do nothing the first 2 years. The only reason he didn't have 4 or 5 losses was because Mack Brown went with Chance Mock to start most games and then brought in Young to play most of em. Young was a great player last year and was unstoppable but his first 3 years he barely showed he could pass.

Luthor
7/20/2006, 04:10 PM

1. Vince Young, Texas
3. Brad Smith, Missouri
5. Tony Rice, Notre Dame
10. (Tie) Woody Dantzler, Clemson, Dee Dowis, Air Force and Jack Mildren, Oklahoma

Brad Smith at #3? Good lord that guy shouldn't even be on the frigging list or at best swap places with Woody Danzler.

Octavian
7/20/2006, 04:37 PM
Vince Young wasn't an "option/running" QB...never was.

The same writer (John Harris) that put him #1 on that list ranks him as the 2nd best "dual threat" QB behind.....Doug Flutie :confused:

How do those guys get that cool of a job?

SOONER44EVER
7/20/2006, 04:56 PM
I'm serious about Steve Davis. Didn't he win 2 championships and never lose a game as a starter? What more could he have done?

CU Sooner
7/20/2006, 04:57 PM
If your talking option i would take Thomas Lott, JC Watts, and Steve Davis over all those above Jamelle except for maybe Frazier, maybe. And there is no bias. The writer must not have followed football until the mid 80's. I think he threw in Mildren to try and get some respect.

SoonerForever
7/20/2006, 05:00 PM
No one mentions Jack Mildren.....what he did to the horns was unreal..

Sorry.....misspelled his name........I should know better.....

SOONER44EVER
7/20/2006, 05:05 PM
No one mentions Jack Mildred.....what he did to the horns was unreal..
Who is Jack Mildred?:confused:

the_ouskull
7/20/2006, 05:37 PM
Brad Smith almost beat OU once. That's how he makes these lists. Then, when it comes to ranking OU players, they're over-rated. Double standard...? Yes. To be expected from these mo-rans? Absolutely.

Also, anybody putting anyone above Tommie Frazier is an idiot. Period.

the_ouskull

OUstud
7/20/2006, 05:47 PM

1. Vince Young, Texas
3. Brad Smith, Missouri
5. Tony Rice, Notre Dame

Never heard of Rice or Dowis. And I know my fair share of football history.

SOONER44EVER
7/20/2006, 05:49 PM
Never heard of Rice or Dowis. And I know my fair share of football history.
I remember Rice. I guess they had to have a ND guy on there.

Octavian
7/20/2006, 06:05 PM
I'm serious about Steve Davis. Didn't he win 2 championships and never lose a game as a starter? What more could he have done?

lost to Nolan Cromwell and Kansas, 23-3 in '75 (in the only game Switzer ever let him -or any other OU quarterback -call his own plays).

He should make it if the list is about accomplishments:

33-1-1 as a starter.
3 conference championships
2 NCs.

That's very close to Frazier.

Octavian
7/20/2006, 06:27 PM
1. Vince Young, Texas
3. Brad Smith, Missouri
5. Tony Rice, Notre Dame

If we're talking strictly option/runners, I'd take a list of Sooners and Huskers over this guy's Top 10.

OU
Mildren
Davis
Lott
Watts
Holieway

Nebraska
Gill
Taylor
Frazier
Frost
Crouch

OKC-SLC
7/20/2006, 08:40 PM
Tommie Frazier's stool is seriously better at running the option than 3/4 of that list.

Brad Smith?

I mean, Brad ****ing Smith?

HarrisTubbsFan
7/20/2006, 09:08 PM
If we're talking strictly option/runners, I'd take a list of Sooners and Huskers over this guy's Top 10.

OU
Mildren
Davis
Lott
Watts
Holieway

Nebraska
Gill
Taylor
Frazier
Frost
Crouch

I would put Jim Harris up there. Never lost a game as a starting QB.

GDC
7/20/2006, 09:45 PM

OU
Mildren
Davis
Lott
Watts
Holieway

Nebraska
Gill
Taylor
Frazier
Frost
Crouch

Plus Kerry Jackson, Charles Thompson, Danny Bradley, etc.

Thomas Lott was the best I've seen, unfortunately he would be the first to tell you that as well.

sooner94
7/20/2006, 10:54 PM
A lot of people think Holieway is the best option QB of all time, and not just Sooner fans.

Some of the guys in the top 5 don't belong there. VY #1? Anyone happen to know what his record against OU was? Did he at least have a winning record against us?

soonerjoker
7/21/2006, 10:17 AM
how did Kerry Jackson make anyone's list ?????

he had potential, but wasn't even a starter.

only played in 72.

Sooner95
7/21/2006, 10:28 AM
Frazier, Holliway, yes.. VY? no, sorry one yr does not make a career. Huepel was good as well, tho not sure he'd make a top10.

Could prob pick anyone from the 80's QB machine from Miami too, Testverdee, Walsh? tho the system was good for them.

And if this is for only College Careers, then what about stat makers like an Andre Ware? Steve Young, byu?

Just throwing a few out there..

RedstickSooner
7/21/2006, 06:41 PM
There's a big difference between a quarterback who can run, and an OPTION quarterback.

This list seems blissfully unaware of the difference.

Teams don't play the option anymore -- not the "real" option. Having a quarterback who can run like smoke doesn't make him an option quarterback, nor should such a QB be ranked as such.

Michael Vick and Vince Young probably *would* have been absolutely superb option QBs -- but we'll never know. They weren't used in option offenses. Running towards the sideline with a halfback trailing you leaving yourself the option to pitch ain't running the option -- the wishbone was runnin' the option.

Could be I'm just absurdly biased towards the past, though. Change is always hard to accept.

Octavian
7/21/2006, 07:25 PM
There's a big difference between a quarterback who can run, and an OPTION quarterback.

This list seems blissfully unaware of the difference.

Teams don't play the option anymore -- not the "real" option. Having a quarterback who can run like smoke doesn't make him an option quarterback, nor should such a QB be ranked as such.

Michael Vick and Vince Young probably *would* have been absolutely superb option QBs -- but we'll never know. They weren't used in option offenses. Running towards the sideline with a halfback trailing you leaving yourself the option to pitch ain't running the option -- the wishbone was runnin' the option.

There ya go. Thank you.

Vince Young, Steve Young, Flutie, McNabb, Vick, Dantzler, Brad Smith...those guys are not "running quarterbacks." Bucky Richardson, Tony Rice...hell, Steve Collins would be above all of them in a "option/running" list.

The CFN guy that we've been quoting actually has two seperate categories for "dual threat" QBs and "option/runners" - but then doesn't stick to his own criteria.

[/end rant]

edit: it doesn't have to the Wishbone...most optioneers ran the triple-option out of some form of the I.

[/end rant again]

JPNSKER
7/21/2006, 11:37 PM
Oh man, can you imagine a Holieway/Frazier matchup on the field?!?!?

I could probably die happy after that game...:cool:

King Crimson
7/21/2006, 11:56 PM
if i had one game to win i'd take Tommie. Vince might win it at the end, but Frazier makes you not have to worry in the 4th Q.

Jamelle defined the position at his time.

Tony Rice?

soonersam
7/23/2006, 01:50 AM
WTF!!!! No Chris Simms???

SicEmBaylor
7/23/2006, 02:07 AM
Bunk list.
It doesn't include Shawn Bell.

Big Red Ron
7/23/2006, 11:06 AM
Also, anybody putting anyone above Tommie Frazier is an idiot. Period.

the_ouskullWith all due respect Skull, I assume you're not yet thirty and you have only heard of the like of Thomas Lott, JC Watts, Turner Gill, Davis, J. Holliway....all of whom could be ranked higher than Frazier.

The Frazer/Osborn love machine really did wonders for Frazer. Don't get me wrong he was a helluva QB but the best option QB he was not.

Big Red Ron
7/23/2006, 11:10 AM
Oh and FYI, Steve Young was an option QB coming out of HS and didn't get many D1 offers. Now he is the only QB in NFL history to lead all QB's in Rushing AND Passing in back to back to back seasons.

No love for the Rams saftey? ;)

stoopified
7/23/2006, 03:12 PM
I've seen both Vince Young and Tommie Frazier play. And I simply just don't think Young is better than Fraizer. Tommie Frazier is the greatest option quarterback. He just couldn't be stopped.Personally I think Turner Gill was better than Frazier and a healthy Jamelle would deserve the #1 spot.

King Crimson
7/23/2006, 05:11 PM
Bunk list.
It doesn't include Shawn Bell.

or Greg Cicero.

Turner Gill was a stud. if there was anyone who converted more 3rd downs against OU then i don't know who.

Sco
7/23/2006, 08:35 PM
VY as #1? Kinda soon to say, I think... then again, I also don't think that the BEST quarterback of all time should be unable to score against a team...