PDA

View Full Version : mdklatt and other weather ****** *******s...

Ike
7/20/2006, 05:14 AM
Lemme ask you a question....

severe thunderstorms...I've been through em a number of times. They are pretty...theres lighnting all around, sometimes even high winds, hail and other stuff that can do damage, but mostly, they don't do a whole lot of damage...right?

SO IS IT ****ING NECESSARY TO WAKE PEOPLE UP AT 4 AM WITH THE GODDAMN TORNADO SIRENS BECAUSE THE NWS ISSUED A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING FOR A STORM THAT IS AN HOUR AWAY?????

now I can't get back to sleep. the nasty part of the storm just finished up rolling through here. we got about 10 minutes of heavy rain, a nice light show, and wind speeds that probably approached a whopping 10 mph.

BajaOklahoma
7/20/2006, 06:50 AM
So you live in a weather ignorant state?

Penguin
7/20/2006, 08:33 AM
I'm pretty sure that the NWS would rather receive 10,000 complaints like this than receive 1 complaint that a tornado came thru and killed their family with no warning.

crawfish
7/20/2006, 08:42 AM
AT LEAST YOU'RE GETTING RAIN!!!! :mad:

mdklatt
7/20/2006, 08:49 AM
SO IS IT ****ING NECESSARY TO WAKE PEOPLE UP AT 4 AM WITH THE GODDAMN TORNADO SIRENS BECAUSE THE NWS ISSUED A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING FOR A STORM THAT IS AN HOUR AWAY?????

I would say no. The sirens usually don't go off here unless there's an active tornado warning in the vicinity. This decision is up to the local government, not the NWS.

Ike
7/20/2006, 11:01 AM
I'm not complaining about the NWS at all. I understand the purpose of severe thunderstorm warnings, and sure enough, they correctly told us that one was comming our way...however, it wasn't that severe because they rarely are...

I am however complaining about the lab fire department battalion chief, who ordered the sirens turned on. Dude has no clue.

Sirens are to let people know that **** hitting the fan is imminent or probable.

TheHumanAlphabet
7/20/2006, 11:05 AM
Uhhh, if your sleeping, you are not likely to get moving. Perhaps the locals pulled the plug to get their populous awake and alert just in case...

Ike
7/20/2006, 11:19 AM
Uhhh, if your sleeping, you are not likely to get moving. Perhaps the locals pulled the plug to get their populous awake and alert just in case...

yeah, I thought about that...but there are a few problems with that line of thinking in this situation...

#1 the populous that was affected by this are the 500 or so people living here on site at the lab.

#2 the storm was an hour away. Im a deep sleeper, and given the smallness of the village, the sirens are quite loud...they managed to wake me, my wife and our house guest in a matter of seconds.

#3 shelters are not far from anyone...perhaps a minutes walk, and there are plenty of them scattered about. its not like it takes anyone a significant amount of time to get there.

I understand the idea behind trying to keep everyone safe...but based on what I saw/heard both yesterday and last night, I seriously think that there must be a new guy in charge at the FD and he isn't too experienced with things like weather...perhaps he was born in a barn?

mdklatt
7/20/2006, 11:25 AM
I understand the idea behind trying to keep everyone safe...but based on what I saw/heard both yesterday and last night, I seriously think that there must be a new guy in charge at the FD and he isn't too experienced with things like weather...perhaps he was born in a barn?

He's probably from the west coast or the northeast where they think nickel-sized hail is a big deal.

Petro-Sooner
7/20/2006, 11:26 AM
Sounds like Mike Morgan pulled the plug.

TheHumanAlphabet
7/20/2006, 11:35 AM
He's probably from the west coast or the northeast where they think rain is a big deal.

Fixed it for ya...;)