PDA

View Full Version : Questions for all you stock-******-******* people.

SOONER44EVER
7/20/2006, 04:56 AM
I have a little extra $$ and I'm thinking about buying some stock. I have a few questions though.

1. Can you buy stock without going through a broker?
2. What is the best place to buy stock online?
3. How much should the fee be (I'm sure there is a fee since there is a fee for everything) when buying stock online?
4. Will I have to pay a fee when both buying and selling?
5. Which site is best for tracking stocks?

Thanks and I'll remember you when the first million rolls in. :D

CatHunter
7/20/2006, 06:49 AM
I have a little extra $$ and I'm thinking about buying some stock. I have a few questions though.

3. How much should the fee be (I'm sure there is a fee since there is a fee for everything) when buying stock online?

You should take your money and plan an elaborate vacation instead. You should post a poll telling everyone how much you have to spend, and where you should go with it.

Hamhock
7/20/2006, 07:07 AM

1. yes.
2. I've always used ameritrade. i think you can get a few bucks cheaper per trade at other places
3. last i remember it was around $8
4. yes
5. your e-brokerage account will track them online.
6. if I were you, I'd buy a growth mutual fund. you probably should not be picking individual equities. better yet, take the money and pay it toward your car/house payment.

Dave Ramsey says YWIA.

etouffee
7/20/2006, 07:25 AM
6. if I were you, I'd buy a growth mutual fund. you probably should not be picking individual equities. better yet, take the money and pay it toward your car/house payment.

Dave Ramsey says YWIA.
Amen to that. If you're set on investing the money, and don't know a LOT about trading stocks, go to a reputable financial advisor and put it in a mutual fund. It's a much safer way to go. Picking individual stocks online is a crapshoot even for people who know what they're doing. You should only do that with money you can afford to lose. If you insist on doing it, TD Waterhouse/Ameritrade is a good choice.

Also, Dave Ramsey is a ******. He's right about some things, but he's still a ******. Just sayin.;)

Hamhock
7/20/2006, 07:50 AM
Also, Dave Ramsey is a ******. He's right about some things, but he's still a ******. Just sayin.;)

Why do you hate American Soldiers?

seriously, what makes him a ******?

etouffee
7/20/2006, 07:55 AM
He's got a ****** accent. Also, his philosophies, while rooted in basically sound principles, are a bit extreme IMO. It's pretty easy for a filthy rich guy to sit back and tell his low-to-mid income audience to NEVER use credit for anything but a house.

Howzit
7/20/2006, 07:56 AM
Look into some South American/Latin American funds. I've only lost my shirt on those, as opposed to my other investments, in which I've lost my ***.

Chuck Bao
7/20/2006, 08:19 AM
Heh!

And what about the Asian stocks, Howzit? What'd you lose there?

Actually, that's what I do for a living - write stock market research for an online broker.

Buy low and sell high - I think that's the best advice I can give.

Howzit
7/20/2006, 08:31 AM
Heh!

And what about the Asian stocks, Howzit? What'd you lose there?

Actually, that's what I do for a living - write stock market research for an online broker.

Buy low and sell high - I think that's the best advice I can give.

FPBFX - a Pacific Basin fund. No individual stocks.

Like the Latin Am funds, these shot up 15% in the first two months I bought...then fell about 21%. They're all emerging market funds, not unexpected, I guess.

C&CDean
7/20/2006, 08:40 AM
critical phil nip.

Put your money in a ****ing jar. I don't care what they tell you. You're welcome.

Howzit
7/20/2006, 08:42 AM
critical phil nip.

Put your money in a ****ing jar. I don't care what they tell you. You're welcome.

And don't think I wasn't looking for where yours are buried when we came out to the house...

Chuck Bao
7/20/2006, 08:43 AM
FPBFX - a Pacific Basin fund. No individual stocks.

Like the Latin Am funds, these shot up 15% in the first two months I bought...then fell about 21%. They're all emerging market funds, not unexpected, I guess.

I was just wondering if you've lost your a$$ all over the world, or what? :eek: NTTIATWWT

SOONER44EVER
7/20/2006, 04:05 PM
The house and cars are basically paid for. I'm not talking about big $$ here. Just investing/gambling on some penny stocks until I learn how the market works.

Vaevictis
7/20/2006, 04:10 PM
It's pretty easy for a filthy rich guy to sit back and tell his low-to-mid income audience to NEVER use credit for anything but a house.

Yeah, but the thing is, he's generally right on that one.

The only time you should use credit is when the value of having it *now* is greater than cost of the interest.

About the only thing -- other than food, medical care, education, or something that enables you to make a living -- that meets this qualification is a house.

etouffee
7/20/2006, 04:14 PM
I guess what it boils down to is how you calculate "the value of having it now". Clearly, Ramsey thinks nothing is worth "having now" if you can't pay cash for it, other than a house. Most people see it differently.

I see no problem with carrying a small amount of manageable debt at a reasonable interest rate. What should be avoided is carrying more debt than you can manage, carrying high interest debt, or carrying a level of debt that will require you to sacrifice important things (such as saving for retirement, etc)

Czar Soonerov
7/20/2006, 04:21 PM
- Always double down on 11.
- Bet the max on slot machine for the maximum payout.
- Always play at least 4 bingo card poer game.
- Buy your scratchers in bundles of 10 to increase your odds.
- Play maximum odds on the come bet in craps.
- Always play the bonus in Powerball.

YWIA

OCUDad
7/20/2006, 08:39 PM
Just investing/gambling on some penny stocks until I learn how the market works.So you'd better be pretty much committed to this for the next 500 years.:eek:

OUinFLA
7/20/2006, 08:51 PM
I normally charge big bucks for this advice.
But since I feel I owe the SO for telling me the name of the song I was looking for earlier this evening, I will share my stock advice for free just this one evening. So, please pay attention.

I have been trading online for many years. I have developed my own stock advisory service for a few select friends. They have actually made money following my trading plan. I hope you can do the same.

Sure Fire Stock Accumulation and Profit Plan

1. If I am buying a stock (going long) you should "short" the stock. If you dont know what that means, dont worry, just tell your broker to short whatever OUinFLA is buying.

2. If I am going "short" on a stock..........buy all you can get your hands on.

3. If I am buying a "call option", buy the stock and sell the call option to me. Then short the stock.

4. If I am buying a "put option" buy all the stock you can, and once you figure out derivitives, buy "calls" on the same stock for as much as you can afford.

5. Remember me in a few years when I am asking for a handout.

YWIA

VeeJay
7/20/2006, 10:18 PM
better yet, take the money and pay it toward your car/house payment.

:( That's no fun!

Buying some stock means you're gonna force yourself to brush up on some terms like "PE ratio" and "beat Wall Street estimates."

And, telling Hooters waitresses that you "own Microsoft" - it's sexier than saying, "yeah, well, that '95 Dodge pickup out there? It's all mine!"

Hamhock
7/21/2006, 08:24 AM
:( That's no fun!

Buying some stock means you're gonna force yourself to brush up on some terms like "PE ratio" and "beat Wall Street estimates."

And, telling Hooters waitresses that you "own Microsoft" - it's sexier than saying, "yeah, well, that '95 Dodge pickup out there? It's all mine!"

yes, but think of all the dollar bills that you didn't send to the bank for interest payments, that you'll have to hand out to the ladies.