PDA

View Full Version : White vs. Hybl

Collier11
7/20/2006, 01:49 AM
For the sake of argument, was White really that much better that no one cares about him? Hybl doesnt get any props. Dont get me wrong, I think white is one of the top 20 college qbs of all-time and what he did while at Ou was amazing and unparralled, but why doesnt hybl get any love...

White 27-4 Bowl games 0-2 two national title losses

Hybl 20-3 Bowl games 2-0 including Rose Bowl win and mvp

Is it cus Jason got us to two natl title games or cus Hybl lost to puke state twice??

WA. Sooner
7/20/2006, 01:51 AM
Is it cus Jason got us to two natl title games or cus Hybl lost to puke state twice??
both

whiteagle
7/20/2006, 02:06 AM
i went back and looked at some of the games hybl played in and all his throws were all there or shulda been. like the 01 nebraska game, he had guys so frickin wide open it wasnt funny but he overthrew them. he was good, white was better. heupel was the best. :pop:

SOONER44EVER
7/20/2006, 05:50 AM
I think had Heupel been at OU for 4 years he would be regarded as one of the best college QBs ever.

swardboy
7/20/2006, 06:06 AM
IMHO, we all know now that Jason was hardly 100% in the LSU game, plus the whack play-calling on the last drive of the game is a coaching responsibility....hardly attributable to Jason..And the Orange Bowl loss was a team effort...Getting "there" gives Jason the nod over Hybl, and a Heisman polishes off the, uh, effort.

stonecoldsoonerfan
7/20/2006, 08:08 AM
soonerus post ragging about nate hybl coming in

yermom
7/20/2006, 08:41 AM
i never heard oh Hybl saying **** about the merry-go-round of a starting job he had

i thought all hope was lost when JW went down against Bama, Hybl steps in and leads us to a win, and a pretty damn decent season including a Rose Bowl win

not bad for a our 2nd choice kid that lost his starting job twice

if he would not have been on the same teams as a Heisman winner, and a MNC winner he might have played more, and had more of a hero status

jk the sooner fan
7/20/2006, 08:49 AM
For the sake of argument, was White really that much better that no one cares about him? Hybl doesnt get any props. Dont get me wrong, I think white is one of the top 20 college qbs of all-time and what he did while at Ou was amazing and unparralled, but why doesnt hybl get any love...

i dont see the word "Heisman" anywhere in your post

also, post some career passing stats....yards, attempts/completions, td's vs interceptions?

I am a BIG Hybl fan.....i really liked the guy, but he was no Jason White

soonerinabilene
7/20/2006, 08:50 AM
ive always thought nate was one of the toughest players to step on to owen field. that boy could take a hit.

yermom
7/20/2006, 08:56 AM
i don't know how he got up sometimes...

his TD to INT ratio was pretty good in 02, once he learned to throw the ball away instead of take a sack things were lots better

you know it's a rough season when you cheer when your QB throws the ball away

we still only managed to lose 4 games under his tenure

soonerlaw
7/20/2006, 08:58 AM
I'll be honest, when White trumped Hybl as qb, I was a little disappointed, because I really liked the way Hybl played as to White, who was almost a runner first and then a passer. But I guess the two knee injuries forced JW to start passing and he was lights out his last two years. JW will always have my respect for leading the team after those injuries, and Nate will always have my respect for taking all those cheap shots against KSU and getting right back up (although a little wobbly).

1stTimeCaller
7/20/2006, 09:12 AM
I loved Hybl. The pounding he took at K State was terrible. He is one tough dude and was a very very very very good QB, IMO. He is also a very nice and humble guy.

ZsoonersRule
7/20/2006, 09:42 AM
Look at all the stats......

White / Hybl

TD per Int 3.4 / 1.7
Comp% 63.3 / 58.7
Effeciency 152.7 / 123.6
Attemps per Int 41.3 / 34.4
YPG 198.1 / 164.2
Yds per Comp. 12.6 / 11.0

I liked Hybl, but White was the man............

Octavian
7/20/2006, 10:16 AM
It's easily Jason but Nate's a great story of perserverence.

The Monster turned on him in '01 b/c:

-he was Heupel's successor
-he slipped and fell down in Lincoln
-fans had to "settle" for Nate after JW's injuries.
-we lost to aggy lite at home.

There wasn't much he could do about the first two and he got an unfair amount of blame for the last one.

The games we lost in '02 weren't Nate's fault. For being in between a NC winning/Heisman runner-up QB and a Heisman winning QB, Hybl did very well.

Tear Down This Wall
7/20/2006, 10:29 AM
ive always thought nate was one of the toughest players to step on to owen field. that boy could take a hit.

Yes, he was. And, he wasn't exactly playing behind an All-American line in 2001. The best thing is that he never complained or made excuses. The Rose Bowl was one of the best games I've ever attended. Excellence all around. Nate was golden.

Tear Down This Wall
7/20/2006, 10:31 AM
It's easily Jason but Nate's a great story of perserverence.

The Monster turned on him in '01 b/c:

-he was Heupel's successor
-he slipped and fell down in Lincoln
-fans had to "settle" for Nate after JW's injuries.
-we lost to aggy lite at home.

There wasn't much he could do about the first two and he got an unfair amount of blame for the last one.

The games we lost in '02 weren't Nate's fault. For being in between a NC winning/Heisman runner-up QB and a Heisman winning QB, Hybl did very well.

Yes, but to the Nate's detractors, he should have been playing safety to help cover Rashaun Woods in addition to playing QB.

CatfishSooner
7/20/2006, 10:37 AM
The is no comparison between Nate and Jason.....Jason is leaps and bounds ahead of him....anyone that thinks differently is delusional.....Nate was pretty good while Jason was Great.

Soonerus
7/20/2006, 10:44 AM
FTLOG, do not try comparing Hybl to Jason White...not even worthy of comment.....

Joe
7/20/2006, 11:27 AM
zoink

mrowl
7/20/2006, 11:39 AM
:pop:

nativesooner
7/20/2006, 11:45 AM
I think if Nate had the same line JW did he would have done a lot better. That being said he did pretty darn good to have been laying on his butt 1/2 the time. They're both great QB's though.

Vegas Vic
7/20/2006, 12:11 PM
Keep in mind, Jason had the luxury of playing his junior and senior seasons with three veteran wide receivers in their prime who started in the NFL as rookies (Clayton, Bradley and Jones). He also had a much better O-line protecting him than Hybl did. It would be interesting to see what Hybl could have done with the O-line and veteran receiving corps that Jason had in his final two seasons.

FWIW, the NFL considers Hybl a better QB, based on the fact that he made a couple of rosters.

TheGodfather889
7/20/2006, 12:11 PM
I like Nate Hybl I thought he played well his senior season and overcame all the criticism from 2001 and had a good year. That being said Jason gets more love because Jason was just a better player. Nate Hybl was a good player. Jason White was a great player. That's the difference.

Collier11
7/20/2006, 12:26 PM
The is no comparison between Nate and Jason.....Jason is leaps and bounds ahead of him....anyone that thinks differently is delusional.....Nate was pretty good while Jason was Great.

I believe you are right in that there isnt really a comparison between the two, jason was just better...but I think you are quite wrong on one thing...White was a really really good qb, hybl was good...As much as I love white and I truly do, you cant call someone great that had two shots at natl titles and played the way he did...can you??

TheGodfather889
7/20/2006, 12:43 PM
I believe you are right in that there isnt really a comparison between the two, jason was just better...but I think you are quite wrong on one thing...White was a really really good qb, hybl was good...As much as I love white and I truly do, you cant call someone great that had two shots at natl titles and played the way he did...can you??
Yes I can. You don't need a National Championship win to be considered great IMO. Jason won a Heisman and put up huge stats and won alot of games after two knee injuries that almost forced him to quit football. His arm strength wasn't great but he is one of the most accurate quarterbacks I've ever seen in the college game. He just had a knack for putting the ball right on the money. It did help that he had a great offensive line and great receivers but you need a quarterback who can make those plays. He did. Jason was a great player.

ZsoonersRule
7/20/2006, 12:46 PM
Keep in mind, Jason had the luxury of playing his junior and senior seasons with three veteran wide receivers in their prime who started in the NFL as rookies (Clayton, Bradley and Jones). He also had a much better O-line protecting him than Hybl did. It would be interesting to see what Hybl could have done with the O-line and veteran receiving corps that Jason had in his final two seasons.

FWIW, the NFL considers Hybl a better QB, based on the fact that he made a couple of rosters.
The only reason Hybl looked better to the NFL was because he still had his knees.......

mdklatt
7/20/2006, 12:51 PM
I think had Heupel been at OU for 4 years he would be regarded as one of the best college QBs ever.

If his elbows held....

TheGodfather889
7/20/2006, 01:30 PM
Nate Hybl made it to the NFL because he had no previous injuries and he had better physical skills than Jason. But that doesn't make him better. For example: Rhett Bomar has more physical skills than Jason White,Nate Hybl and Josh Heupel combined. But would anyone tout that he's better than any of them yet? Don't think so.

soonerlaw
7/20/2006, 01:40 PM
But Hybl's the only guy out there to win two National Championships in 2 different sports at 2 different schools. Now that is cool.

Collier11
7/20/2006, 02:44 PM
Yes I can. You don't need a National Championship win to be considered great IMO. Jason won a Heisman and put up huge stats and won alot of games after two knee injuries that almost forced him to quit football. His arm strength wasn't great but he is one of the most accurate quarterbacks I've ever seen in the college game. He just had a knack for putting the ball right on the money. It did help that he had a great offensive line and great receivers but you need a quarterback who can make those plays. He did. Jason was a great player.

I didnt say he wasnt great because he didnt win and im not even necessarily saying he wasnt great, hell for what white accomplished based on what he had to persevere through alone makes him a stud. I am saying due to the way he played in those games...can you be a truly great player(great to me means one of the best ever) when you go 37/73 with 5 interceptions in two national title appearances...keep in mind im just playing devils advocate here cus it is 105 degrees outside and im bored ;)

ZsoonersRule
7/20/2006, 02:56 PM
Both those NC games he was getting killed by the defenses.....Any QB would have below average # under those circumstance's......

Collier11
7/20/2006, 02:57 PM
WOW!! I really thought OU fans were smarter than this, I am not saying Jason White was not awesome, he is the best qb in OU history and one of the top 20 or so all-time in cfb. I am not saying Hybl was better than him, all I am saying is can you be considered truly great if you play the way he did in two natl title games and that Hybl doesnt get the credit he deserves. Get a clue to those of you who are taking this personal, goodness

CatfishSooner
7/20/2006, 03:34 PM
Jason White was/is Great...goodness..

HarrisTubbsFan
7/20/2006, 03:46 PM
Nate was solid QB. I loved his toughness but White had almost 80 touchdowns in 2 seasons. And led us to 2 NC games. And in 2001 with the same offensive line as Hybl, White completed 64% of his passes and had better games when he played. He basically beat out Hybl during the season. If White never gets hurt we are talking about him in the NFL right now.

Collier11
7/20/2006, 04:03 PM
agreed

Luthor
7/20/2006, 04:07 PM

I don't know about that. The kid taking snaps now ain't no daisy when it comes to taking it on the chops and coming back. Bomar and the new kid at a$m are 2 of the toughest QBs I've seen in a while. Both of those guys have skulls like water buffalos.

Sonner magic923
7/20/2006, 08:26 PM
I don't know about that. The kid taking snaps now ain't no daisy when it comes to taking it on the chops and coming back. Bomar and the new kid at a$m are 2 of the toughest QBs I've seen in a while. Both of those guys have skulls like water buffalos.

couldnt have said it better my self

SoonerJedi
7/20/2006, 11:55 PM

I'd rather have Bomar than Hybl. If it weren't for Q, we would have been in trouble those years. Our passing game was not getting it done under Hybl.

And yes, White was head-and-shoulders better than Hybl.

Egeo
7/21/2006, 12:58 AM
I'd rather have Bomar than Hybl. If it weren't for Q, we would have been in trouble those years. Our passing game was not getting it done under Hybl.

And yes, White was head-and-shoulders better than Hybl.
exactly - i was so sick of swing passes and even those were inaccurate
you might call hybl an ok qb - but his accuracy wasnt even up to that standard - but maybe his intangibles surpassed it

whiteagle
7/21/2006, 12:58 AM
some could also say our passing game wasnt really all that spectacular either under JW till 03.

Fraggle145
7/21/2006, 08:31 AM
I'll be honest, I hated Hybl. HATED. I wanted Stoops to do to him what he did to Bomar and make him hand the ball of off the entire game. I can remember just way too many ducks flying around out there. JW was head and shoulders above Hybl both before and after he turned into the Bionic Man. I think the biggest difference could probably be seen in our average points per game in '02 vs the average points in '03 or '04. I mean does anyone remember that Cotton bowl with Arkansas? I think we had what a whopping 10 points? and then I think of games like 77-0... I just dont think Hybl could have rolled up 77. That said I like the guy now. He is pretty funny when I hear him on the Animal and Jim Donnan did give him a raw deal at UGA.

Boffingham
7/21/2006, 08:38 AM
Hybl always had the best looking chicks as well.

Jason White's Third Knee
7/21/2006, 11:49 AM
FTLOG, do not try comparing Hybl to Jason White...not even worthy of comment.....

Ahh, what do you know about god?

Jason White's Third Knee
7/21/2006, 11:50 AM
I'll be honest, I hated Hybl. HATED. I wanted Stoops to do to him what he did to Bomar and make him hand the ball of off the entire game. I can remember just way too many ducks flying around out there. JW was head and shoulders above Hybl both before and after he turned into the Bionic Man. I think the biggest difference could probably be seen in our average points per game in '02 vs the average points in '03 or '04. I mean does anyone remember that Cotton bowl with Arkansas? I think we had what a whopping 10 points? and then I think of games like 77-0... I just dont think Hybl could have rolled up 77. That said I like the guy now. He is pretty funny when I hear him on the Animal and Jim Donnan did give him a raw deal at UGA.

Way too many ducks? Did you ever see Josh Heupel play? Every pass that he threw was a duck. Somehow they got to the right guy though.

yermom
7/21/2006, 12:08 PM

see 2001 Tulsa and 2002 UTEP games for blowouts of bad teams. Arkansas wasn't a bad team... Hybl set a Cotton Bowl record for completions in that game ;)

CatfishSooner
7/21/2006, 12:10 PM
ZZZ

Fraggle145
7/21/2006, 12:16 PM
Way too many ducks? Did you ever see Josh Heupel play? Every pass that he threw was a duck. Somehow they got to the right guy though.

Ya every pass that Heupel threw got to the right guy... not sure you can say the same for Hybl. You could also count on JW and Heupel to make heads up plays, while it took Hybl a year to learn how to not take a sack. Not saying I wasnt happy for the guy when he got the Rose MVP, but he isnt my first choice for my fav OU qb. Hopefully Bomar develops much more rapidly than Hybl... I think he is, but we'll see.

Big Red Ron
7/21/2006, 12:49 PM
Way too many ducks? Did you ever see Josh Heupel play? Every pass that he threw was a duck. Somehow they got to the right guy though.Not all ducks are created equally.

Nate is a really solid QB but let's be honest. White beat him out, what, twice, head to head for the starting position?

Jason White's Third Knee
7/21/2006, 12:54 PM
Not all ducks are created equally.

Nate is a really solid QB but let's be honest. White beat him out, what, twice, head to head for the starting position?

Nope. Hybl got hurt and White kept the job from then on. I think it was the Texas game 2001.

Big Red Ron
7/21/2006, 12:58 PM
Nope. Hybl got hurt and White kept the job from then on. I think it was the Texas game 2001.Okay so it was once, 2002. Hybl got it after the Neb game.

Jason White's Third Knee
7/21/2006, 01:03 PM
Okay so it was once, 2002. Hybl got it after the Neb game.

Obviously, Josh and Jason were better, but Nate was still a good QB and a class act. Sucks to be in his shoes. He's still one of the best qb's we've had. He just wasn't a NC winner or a Heisman winner.

Yes, he through 4 int's to texas, but we still won. I can't blame him for the loss to OSU or aTm. I blame Everage for those losses, but that's the way I roll.

TheGodfather889
7/21/2006, 01:20 PM
I'll say this about Nate. Even though he lost to Oklahoma State twice. Atleast he never lost to Texas and that's fine by me.:D

Big Red Ron
7/21/2006, 01:30 PM
I'll say this about Nate. Even though he lost to Oklahoma State twice. Atleast he never lost to Texas and that's fine by me.:DHe was getting damn close befor JW came in and saved our bacon. Yet another reason JW>NH

tnraider1
7/21/2006, 01:40 PM
Nope. Hybl got hurt and White kept the job from then on. I think it was the Texas game 2001.

I watched that game last night. Hybl looked well, like I remember Hybl looking, and Jason looked like a star. In that game Jason came in and made all the right throws. He wasn't launching them downfield, but every pass was right on the money, and he ran like the wind. Reminded me of Steve Young. I really don't see how you can compare the two careers. Hybl may have been every bit as talented as Jason was, but it didn't show on the field.

tnraider1
7/21/2006, 01:41 PM
Also, Jason minus two knee injuries would probably be starting in the NFL this year.

Big Red Ron
7/21/2006, 02:14 PM
Also, Jason minus two knee injuries would be starting in the NFL this year.fixed that fer ya.

Statalyzer
7/21/2006, 02:41 PM
I watched that game last night. Hybl looked well, like I remember Hybl looking, and Jason looked like a star. In that game Jason came in and made all the right throws. He wasn't launching them downfield, but every pass was right on the money, and he ran like the wind.

I think that praise for Jason White taking over Hybl in 2001 and leading the offense to exactly one score the entire team is little much. (Yes, I know we also scored once and didn't even get a TD, but the issue is White vs Hybl here).

2002, yeah Hybl was on the winning team, but that's about it. Somebody said they wanted Stoops to do with Hybl like he did with Bomar and just run every play. Well, that's about what happened in 2002. He just said "screw it" and called the exact same draw play to Quentin about 15 times in the 2nd half and suddenly the offense could hardly be stopped.

When Vince threw ducks that got to the right guy, he was a horrible passer because he threw ducks.

Big Red Ron
7/21/2006, 02:51 PM
Vince throws side-arm ducks. There is a difference.

Octavian
7/21/2006, 02:55 PM
I think that praise for Jason White taking over Hybl in 2001 and leading the offense to exactly one score the entire team is little much. (Yes, I know we also scored once and didn't even get a TD, but the issue is White vs Hybl here).

a soph. making his first appearance (coming off the bench) in a top 5 matchup on a nuetral field walks away w/ a W...nuff said.

Well, maybe not...If you remember, White made several plays that kept OU drives alive and kept the field position in OU's favor. His play changed the momentum of the game after Hybl went down and kept it in our favor for the rest of the day.

2002, yeah Hybl was on the winning team, but that's about it.

yeah, he threw four picks but in the 4th, he made several throws that kept our punting unit off the field. In short, he did something that coverboy Chris couldn't. As I said earlier, Nate's best quality was his resiliency.

Somebody said they wanted Stoops to do with Hybl like he did with Bomar and just run every play. Well, that's about what happened in 2002. He just said "screw it" and called the exact same draw play to Quentin about 15 times in the 2nd half and suddenly the offense could hardly be stopped.

see above.

When Vince threw ducks that got to the right guy, he was a horrible passer because he threw ducks.

for a year and a half, VY was a horrible passer....

many Sooners made the same mistake about Vince that horns are making about RB. We watched him up until we kicked his *** in the RRS, then we didn't really care. We didn't respect Vince's improvement in the second half of his soph year b/c he hadnt proved it against us. Many of your fellow HF.com posters still describe Bomar's play completely off what they saw in Dallas.

Statalyzer
7/21/2006, 03:05 PM
a soph. making his first appearance (coming off the bench) in a top 5 matchup on a nuetral field walks away w/ a W...nuff said.

Well, he wouldn't have walked away with a win without a legendary performance from the D. He didn't have anything do with the game not being a 10-7 Texas win. Texas actually had more yards so he didn't exactly win the field position battle either. His main good play was that one run that kept the scoring drive alive - although even without that score you probably still win 3-7 on Roy's superman play. By the way, thanks for getting me to rehash that painful memory again. :(

For that reason when I heard in 2003 "The Sooners have Jason White back" I didn't think much of it. Last I seen of him was an average passer who made one good running play. Suddenly he's looking like the second coming of Joe Montana. That guy definitely had some seriously badass work ethic.

Vince throws side-arm ducks. There is a difference.

Silly analysis. If the ball hits the intended WR in the numbers, it's a good pass if it's a OU overhead duck, but not a side-arm UT duck...yeah no double standard there.

for a year and a half, VY was a horrible passer....

many Sooners made the same mistake about Vince that horns are making about RB. We watched him up until we kicked his *** in the RRS, then we didn't really care. We didn't respect Vince's improvement in the second half of his soph year b/c he hadnt proved it against us. Many of your fellow HF.com posters still describe Bomar's play completely off what they saw in Dallas.

Good analysis. He wasn't exactly a horrible passer but he was very inconsistent. He could make the tough deep throw but then he'd try and force something inbetween two defenders while he was on the run...with predictable results.

goingoneight
7/21/2006, 09:03 PM
This is a Sooner on Sooner crime! Make it stop!!!

Soonerus
7/21/2006, 10:18 PM
I vote for Bomar....

Vegas Vic
7/22/2006, 09:38 AM
some could also say our passing game wasnt really all that spectacular either under JW till 03.

It could also be said that the passing game wasn't really all that spectacular until three receivers who all started as rookies in the NFL were upperclassmen at OU.

whiteagle
7/22/2006, 09:52 AM
Yes, he through 4 int's to texas, but we still won. I can't blame him for the loss to OSU or aTm. I blame Everage for those losses, but that's the way I roll.

If i remember correct that was the first game that year that Hybl threw an interception. He went like 150 or something attempts w/o an int. Impressive stat no matter who you play.

KC//CRIMSON
7/22/2006, 10:15 AM
WOW!! I really thought OU fans were smarter than this, I am not saying Jason White was not awesome, he is the best qb in OU history and one of the top 20 or so all-time in cfb. I am not saying Hybl was better than him, all I am saying is can you be considered truly great if you play the way he did in two natl title games and that Hybl doesnt get the credit he deserves. Get a clue to those of you who are taking this personal, goodness

false. i can think of a few who were better.....;)

Snrfn4ever08
7/22/2006, 10:34 AM
come on guys, i mean really. there's not contest. hybl was okay, good, whatever you wanna call him. jason white was great. we didn't beat the crap out of people with hybl. we murdered everyone we played (except for a few unmentionable games) under jason white. jason white would've gotten us the 2003 championship, but he was hurt. 2004 was a giant, collective team brainfart. hybl never even had a real chance to get us to the championship game. jason white>nate hybl

85sooners
7/22/2006, 11:09 AM
white for sure!

HarrisTubbsFan
7/22/2006, 01:37 PM
Jason White has a Heisman Trophy, Unitas Trophy, Maxwell Trophy, 2 O'Brien Trophies, He was a finalist for all those awards in different seasons. And a two time Camp finalist. 2 time All Big 12 and 2 time offensive player of the year in the Big 12. Jason White also had over 80 touchdowns in his career. No other OU player has over 60 touchdowns.

There is no arguement White is better then Hybl. White is one of the best players to ever wear an OU uniform.

Big Red Ron
7/22/2006, 01:51 PM
Jason White has a Heisman Trophy, Unitas Trophy, Maxwell Trophy, 2 O'Brien Trophies, He was a finalist for all those awards in different seasons. And a two time Camp finalist. 2 time All Big 12 and 2 time offensive player of the year in the Big 12. Jason White also had over 80 touchdowns in his career. No other OU player has over 60 touchdowns.

There is no arguement White is better then Hybl. White is one of the best players to ever wear an OU uniform.yep

jkjsooner
7/22/2006, 02:36 PM

The statement about Hybl making an NFL roster is meaningless. Heupel didn't make an NFL roster either.

The o-line comment is valid but it also points out an area where I really think White beats Hybl. White had the ability to improvise (Heupel style) and could make plays whenever things broke down. That's even true after his injuries. Hybl, on the other hand, required o-line protection to make a play.

I suspect that Hybl could have been a much better QB with a great o-line. But with a mediocre o-line there are lots of guys who are better. I would say the same thing about Aikman. He was a great great QB but he needed an o-line due to his lack of mobility. (Given, he did look sweet running the wishbone in that OU/TX video but somewhere along the line he lost that ability to run.)

HarrisTubbsFan
7/22/2006, 02:40 PM
Actually Aikman was a decent runner at QB in the NFL in his prime. No Mike Vick or anything. But if a play broke down he would run for some yardage.

Big Red Ron
7/22/2006, 02:46 PM
Actually Aikman was a decent runner at QB in the NFL in his prime. No Mike Vick or anything. But if a play broke down he would run for some yardage.Ha ha, not. Aikman, looked like a tall woman when he had to run in the NFL.

HarrisTubbsFan
7/22/2006, 03:00 PM
He was still a lot more moble then Hybl ever will be. And saying Hybl is on an NFL roster is pushing it. He's been a practice roster for most of his NFL career. If White had 2 good knees we would be talking about him being at worst a backup somewhere.

whiteagle
7/22/2006, 09:24 PM
oh no doubt white wuld be in the nfl. i think heupel would too had he not messed up his throwing arm. :pop:

Octavian
7/23/2006, 03:25 AM
Yes, Jason was better than Nate. BFD....Jason White was better than 99% of all quarterbacks in college football history.

If the worst the Bob Stoops Era has to offer is a Big XII champion Rose Bowl MVP, then, as fans, we're damn lucky.

Collier11
7/23/2006, 02:47 PM
Yes, Jason was better than Nate. BFD....Jason White was better than 99% of all quarterbacks in college football history.

If the worst the Bob Stoops Era has to offer is a Big XII champion Rose Bowl MVP, then, as fans, we're damn lucky.

WORD!! And as far as all of you who say Jason would be in the nfl hands down if he hadnt hurt his knees, well thats possible but I heard alot of scouts last year saying he didnt have the arm strength to be a starter, so based on what they say then his nfl career wouldnt be much more than hybls

Vegas Vic
7/23/2006, 11:35 PM
I suspect that Hybl could have been a much better QB with a great o-line.

Yeah, I would have liked to have seen what Hybl could have done with the mammoth OL that White had, a Heisman runner-up at running back, and Clayton, B. Jones and M. Bradley as upperclassmen. As I said before, all three of those guys started in the NFL as rookies. A lot of guys on here are just looking at the raw numbers without conceding that all of the guys I just mentioned had a lot to do with it. I can guarantee you that White would have struggled to put up half of those numbers if he had stayed healthy in 2001 with that horrible O-line and lack of a serious running game (that somehow Hybl takes all of the heat for).

goingoneight
7/23/2006, 11:37 PM
Didn't have the arm strength? Ha!!! I guess you never saw his deep ball.

HarrisTubbsFan
7/23/2006, 11:49 PM
Yeah, I would have liked to have seen what Hybl could have done with the mammoth OL that White had, a Heisman runner-up at running back, and Clayton, B. Jones and M. Bradley as upperclassmen. As I said before, all three of those guys started in the NFL as rookies. A lot of guys on here are just looking at the raw numbers without conceding that all of the guys I just mentioned had a lot to do with it. I can guarantee you that White would have struggled to put up half of those numbers if he had stayed healthy in 2001 with that horrible O-line and lack of a serious running game (that somehow Hybl takes all of the heat for).

With that offensive line White completed 64% of his passes and had something like 800 yards in only about 3 full games really.

Jason White was good with just his arm. With the legs added on he would have been better then a Heisman winner that won all the awards I already posted.

Statalyzer
7/24/2006, 01:10 AM
Arm strength, IMO, isn't a big deal between those two. Neither one threw many Staubach-like bullet passes with hardly any arc, so the arm strength isn't as relevant unless you're heaving the ball 50+ yards.

As someone whose team had to face both guys: I'd much rather have faced a Hybl-led OU than a White-quarterbacked OU.

Both of them had a bad day passing against us, but White's bad day wasn't as bad as Hybl's and White faced a better defensive effort by far.

Egeo
7/24/2006, 03:50 AM
uggh, i remember watching the times when hybl did have plenty of time - he held onto the ball
he also played with the best sooner defense of the stoops era
and then in 2002 he had an 1800 yard running back

i was told this by a scout team player whom i went to highschool with
i asked him, does the players on teh team think nate sucks like i do and he replied, about half
and then he told me that alot of players didnt like him cause him and trent smith were really really cocky

Egeo
7/24/2006, 04:10 AM
"Hybl was 20-of-29 for 152 yards in his debut as the successor to Heisman Trophy runner-up Josh Heupel, but he led just two scoring drives and threw an interception that was returned for a score." - UNC

""We established our running game pretty well," said Hybl, who was 14-of-31 for 161 yards. "I don't mind handing the ball off." - air force

"Nate Hybl completed 28 of 40 passes for 350 yards and two touchdowns, and scored once on a sneak. Tailback Quentin Griffin scored on a run and a pass, and finished with 71 yards rushing and 111 receiving.
Renaldo Works and Josh Norman had the two longest plays of the night for Oklahoma. Works scored on a 72-yard run in the first quarter and Norman took a pass in the flat and went 57 yards for a TD in the fourth.
Hybl was at times exceptional in his third career start, but also gave up an interception on an overthrown ball and cost the Sooners a field goal try when he was penalized for intentional grounding" - north texas

"Kansas State succeeded in shutting down Oklahoma's running game, holding the Sooners to 9 yards rushing. But Nate Hybl, despite being intercepted three times, threw for 283 yards to Savage and other receivers who got open against the Wildcats' man-to-man coverage." -kstate

"Oklahoma's Nate Hybl was 17-for-36 for 184 yards in relief of starter Jason White, who was knocked out of the game early in the second quarter when he came down awkwardly on his left knee after completing a pass.
Hybl, the Sooners' starter for the first six games, threw a 4-yard pass to Trent Smith in the second quarter for Oklahoma's only touchdown. " - nebraska (he actually had decent yards but i cant forget him falling down on that reverse pass)

"Quentin Griffin scored four touchdowns, Nate Hybl threw for 347 yards in his return to the starting lineup and Oklahoma gained 541 yards one week after a loss to Nebraska that snapped the Sooners' 20-game winning streak.
It wasn't all that surprising, given the opponent. Tulsa (1-7) has lost seven in a row, and last week gave up 746 yards and 63 points to a San Jose State team that had won only one game." - tulsa

"He wound up 25-of-38 for 195 yards with one interception" - texa&m

"Hybl was 33-of-55 for 274 yards and ran 15 times for 17 yards. He completed passes to eight receivers, with three different players catching touchdowns. Chris Toney's 8-yard TD reception made him the 17th Sooner to score this season."
Hybl threw two interceptions in the third quarter, both to Ricky Sailor, with the first coming in the end zone on the opening drive of the second half and Oklahoma leading only 13-10. " - tex tech

"Oklahoma (10-2, 6-2 Big 12) wound up with zero yards rushing, which was due in part to Nate Hybl being sacked seven times by a defense that had just 18 sacks in the first 10 games.
Oklahoma State (4-7, 2-6) entered the game as a 27-point underdog, and with good reason. The defense had given up at least 424 yards in each of the previous six games, including 517 a week ago in a victory over last-place Baylor.
But the Cowboys, who lost 12-7 to Oklahoma a year ago, stuffed the Sooners' running game and intercepted Hybl three times, then the offense managed to put together the crucial touchdown drive in the closing minutes.
Hybl was 22-of-48 with three interceptions." - osu

Egeo
7/24/2006, 04:40 AM
in 2001, OU was about 95th in the nation in yards per attempt
while nate hybl completed 59.7% of his passes that year
jason white was at 64.6%

nate hybl is no where to be found on OU's top passing efficiency stats for both season and career
while jdub is 6th and 8th in a season at 159/158 and 3rd in career at 152
josh heupel's career efficiency is 135

nate had half as many career td passes as jason

nate hybl was 80th of 100 in passing efficiency in 2001 behind such greats as:
aso pogi, wes phillips from utep, eric crouch, chris rix, chris simms, antwaan randle el and a host of other players ive never heard of
http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/natlRank.jsp?year=2001&div=4&rpt=IA_playerpasseff&site=org

he was 93rd in yards per attempt of 5.88
minimum 15 pass attempts per game

he was 54th in passing yards per game
only 17 of the 43 people ahead of him in total passing yards for the season had more attempts
he had the lowest yards per attempt in the top 50 yardage passers in 01
he threw 14 td passes and 13 interceptions

Collier11
7/24/2006, 12:19 PM
in 2001, OU was about 95th in the nation in yards per attempt
while nate hybl completed 59.7% of his passes that year
jason white was at 64.6%

nate hybl is no where to be found on OU's top passing efficiency stats for both season and career
while jdub is 6th and 8th in a season at 159/158 and 3rd in career at 152
josh heupel's career efficiency is 135

STAT CHECK: In career effeciency it was jason white #3 and Hybl # 11, in season effeciency it was Jason White #1 and # 2 while Hyble was # 5 and #6.

I dont know why you guys are making this a thing about is Hybl better than White, we all know he isnt and when I created this thread that wasnt my intention. My intention was to see if anyone thought that Hybl deserved more credit than he got, but apparently you guys dont read

King Crimson
7/24/2006, 12:50 PM
White was money on 3rd down. something we were not last year.

SoonerJedi
7/25/2006, 12:51 AM
Think Nate is in the same league? Watch that Cotton Bowl against Arkansas.

Collier11
7/25/2006, 02:18 AM
Think Nate is in the same league? Watch that Cotton Bowl against Arkansas.

Nate 2-0 in bowl games, jason 0-2 if you want to use that comparison, but come on guys...I dont think anyone is here saying that Nate was better, we arent texass or aggie fans...geeZ!

MiccoMacey
7/25/2006, 02:29 AM
Nate was not a world beater, but I agree with your assessment that he doesn't get enough credit.

Egeo
7/25/2006, 04:36 AM
STAT CHECK: In career effeciency it was jason white #3 and Hybl # 11, in season effeciency it was Jason White #1 and # 2 while Hyble was # 5 and #6.

I dont know why you guys are making this a thing about is Hybl better than White, we all know he isnt and when I created this thread that wasnt my intention. My intention was to see if anyone thought that Hybl deserved more credit than he got, but apparently you guys dont read

umm, i got my stats directly from soonersports.com
i dont know where you got yours
http://www.nmnathletics.com//pdf7/39455.pdf?SPSID=2475&SPID=190&DB_OEM_ID=300

was White really that much better that no one cares about him (hybl)?
Yes - your question has been answered
now i can continue discussing how much worse than white hybl was :pop:

Collier11
7/25/2006, 12:11 PM
umm, i got my stats directly from soonersports.com
i dont know where you got yours
http://www.nmnathletics.com//pdf7/39455.pdf?SPSID=2475&SPID=190&DB_OEM_ID=300

Yes - your question has been answered
now i can continue discussing how much worse than white hybl was :pop:

SOONERSTATS.COM

stoopified
7/25/2006, 01:13 PM
IMHO, we all know now that Jason was hardly 100% in the LSU game, plus the whack play-calling on the last drive of the game is a coaching responsibility....hardly attributable to Jason..And the Orange Bowl loss was a team effort...Getting "there" gives Jason the nod over Hybl, and a Heisman polishes off the, uh, effort.Referring to the OB,don't you mean a team lack of effort?

Tear Down This Wall
7/25/2006, 03:03 PM
The Sooner fans with small penises are the ones who criticize Hybl. Actually, they probably don't even have penises at all, but p*ssies instead. They are the same people who see Bomar's endless fumbling and 1:1 TD to interception ratio as evidence of great quarterbacking.

yermom
7/25/2006, 03:10 PM
i think his numbers from the second half of the season are much better than than the first, the fact that Bomar got back to 1:1 after a ****ty start was an indication of his improvement

i would have much rather had Hybl at the start of 2005 though...

but i think Bomar is more talented, and will likely have benefitted from the experience

Tear Down This Wall
7/25/2006, 03:18 PM
The automobile choice of the Hybl Haters...

http://www.northernsun.com/images/thumb/5055BigTruck.jpg

Collier11
7/25/2006, 03:47 PM
See 'TDTW', this is exactly my point, I try to see who thinks Hybl doesnt get enough credit and all some of these Ou fans do is criticize the guy who played with broken bones, a screwed up shoulder, a couple of concussions, and took some of the hardest cheap shots ive ever seen on a fball field. But then again, these are the same Ou fans that leave games early, boo a mistake, and call in to the animal to criticize our team for not scoring 50. Some of you are rediculous, and those of you who are blaming the Sugar Bowl on Chuck Long Still need to look at whites numbers which were something like 14-36 with 2 ints, yea he was hurt but hybl was hurt in the cotton bowl and no one brings that up. Get a clue, for the final time...NO ONE IS SAYING THAT HYBL WAS BETTER THAN WHITE, but give the guy his credit alreaady

Egeo
7/26/2006, 12:15 AM
ill give the guy credit
credit for having mediocre accuracy and ****ty field vision

oh and of course all of your lame generalizations must be true because nate hybl = god because he wore an OU jersey
now i appreciate his effort, but im not going to sugarcoat his skills (be a homer) and make him out to be something he is not

average penis
i do drive a truck, but thats because it was free while im restoring my mustang
im pretty sure i never booed OU (booed refs and opponents)
i dont listen to the animal (although muskogee just got an fm station so i plan on starting in the fall)
ive also not made one mention of chuck long in this thread and there are plenty of my posts containing chuck defending (matter of fact, ive had my sig for like the last 3 months or so)
nor have i mentioned bomar - and he was freaking terrible at the beginning of last year too (but he has shown much promise) and probably now is almost as good as hybl ever was [mediocre] (we'll find out for sure soon)
ive never left a game early; case in point - i stayed for the whole damn orange bowl

but if it makes you feel better to think otherwise about me - go ahead

wishbonesooner
7/26/2006, 03:43 PM
Nate was one of the all time warriors at OU. There were times I wanted him to stay down, I didn't want to watch him take anymore punishment. He got killed in the pocket because he had little pass protection, and, he held the ball waaaay too long. He was solid, but he never progressed much from the first game he ever started, to his last. With Jason, you just had the feeling he would come through when the Sooners needed to score. I never got that feeling with Nate. In that 16-13 debacle to oSU, when we got the ball back with a minute or so left, Nate had his head down, even though we had chances to throw the ball. We were beat, and you could see it in his demeanor.

I_Live_In_OK
7/26/2006, 08:28 PM
I don't see the point of bashing Hybl. Whether he was a good guy or he was cocky...so what. He was Cotton Bowl MVP and Rose Bowl MVP. That's enough for me.

Octavian
7/26/2006, 08:45 PM
Q and TRRW were Cotton Bowl MVPs

just sayin ;)

Soonerus
7/26/2006, 09:28 PM
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ...

SoonerDood
7/26/2006, 09:46 PM
I think the biggest difference could probably be seen in our average points per game in '02 vs the average points in '03 or '04. I mean does anyone remember that Cotton bowl with Arkansas? I think we had what a whopping 10 points? and then I think of games like 77-0... I just dont think Hybl could have rolled up 77.

02 ppg: 38.64 (541 pts)
03 ppg: 42.93 (601 pts)
04 ppg: 34.77 (452 pts)

JW= ARod. Hate to say it, but it's true.