PDA

View Full Version : At what point is a car about "status"

achiro
7/19/2006, 11:30 AM
When someone spends 500 grand on a car it has nothing to do with comfort, ammenities, or power. Its all about status. So at what point, money wise, does a car become that? I'm not talking about the fact that a $10,000 car can get you around, I am talking about having nice stuff, whether you need it or not, like gps, leather, dvd player, etc. At what point are you finished paying for that and only paying for the name? Or as some would say, penis extension.

:pop:

SoonerInKCMO
7/19/2006, 11:33 AM
I don't think you can put a hard dollar figure on that. Someone could spend $70k on a Z06 Corvette and reasonably say that the money all went to performance. Spend the same amount on an Escalade and a good chunk of that was for bling and its attending status.

Scott D
7/19/2006, 11:37 AM
anything over $20-25k I'd say.

mdklatt
7/19/2006, 11:37 AM
When someone spends 500 grand on a car it has nothing to do with comfort, ammenities, or power. Its all about status. So at what point, money wise, does a car become that? I'm not talking about the fact that a $10,000 car can get you around, I am talking about having nice stuff, whether you need it or not, like gps, leather, dvd player, etc. At what point are you finished paying for that and only paying for the name? Or as some would say, penis extension.

How about this for a guideline: Anybody who buys an Acura/Lexus/Infiniti instead of the equivalent Honda/Toyota/Nissan.

Mjcpr
7/19/2006, 11:38 AM

You can barely buy a decent Chevy/Ford pickup these days for $20k unfortunately.

Scott D
7/19/2006, 11:39 AM
You can barely buy a decent Chevy/Ford pickup these days for $20k unfortunately.

why do you think I gave a 5k range :P

BlondeSoonerGirl
7/19/2006, 11:40 AM
And on the converse - what does it say about me trying to get a cool half million miles out of Keith Richards?

:mack:

Mjcpr
7/19/2006, 11:41 AM
And on the converse - what does it say about me trying to get a cool half million miles out of Keith Richards?

Dude, Keith R passed a half million miles around 1972.

1stTimeCaller
7/19/2006, 11:41 AM

either smart or cheap. I'm going with cheap bastadge.

Scott D
7/19/2006, 11:42 AM

if you bought your car more coke it'd probably get to a million miles....I'm jus' sayin :les:

Mjcpr
7/19/2006, 11:42 AM

1TC is paying WAY more than that and he doesn't have anything that remotely resembles a luxury vehicle.

Oh, wait....

1stTimeCaller
7/19/2006, 11:43 AM
1TC is paying WAY more than that and he doesn't have anything that remotely resembles a luxury vehicle.

Oh, wait....

why do you hurt me Pat. WHY??????????:mad:

that G6 is pimp. All the cool kids want one...

achiro
7/19/2006, 11:50 AM
The reason I ask isthat I was thinking of one of these but don't want people to make fun of me.
http://us.autos1.yimg.com/img.autos.yahoo.com/aic/mercedesbenz_slr_mclaren_2006_385x192.jpg?MERSLR1

Scott D
7/19/2006, 11:50 AM
you know I'll make fun of you. :D

C&CDean
7/19/2006, 11:53 AM
The $$ amount has nothing to do with it. If you buy a vehicle strictly so others can see you cruising in it then you've bought it for status.

If I had, say Michael Jordan money, I'd buy a Dodge Viper. Why? Cause a) I could afford it and b)they're faster than ****. Nobody's gonna see me - well except my tail lights.

etouffee
7/19/2006, 11:54 AM
How about this for a guideline: Anybody who buys an Acura/Lexus/Infiniti instead of the equivalent Honda/Toyota/Nissan.
I disagree; even though they're built from the same foundations, you're still comparing apples and oranges. To say someone is buying "status", you'd have to make an apples-to-apples comparison and find that one apple is a lot more expensive than the other. The Acura/Lexus/Infiniti models have higher performance engines, plusher interiors, and standard features that are either optional or not available on their lower priced counterparts. In addition to that, the after-purchase service you'll receive at Acura/Lexus/Infiniti dealership is far better than you get from a mid-grade dealer. Thus, you're buying a better car and better service, not "status". Any status that comes along with that is either in your mind or purely coincidental.

Now if you buy a car more expensive than an Acura/Lexus/Infiniti that has the same or even less quality, performance, features and service (such as a low-end Mercedes), then you're probably trying to buy status.

OUDoc
7/19/2006, 11:59 AM
Yeah. If I had the money, I'd buy. It has nothing to do with penis extension (I'd buy one of those if I needed it :D) and everything to do with liking cool cars. If I won 50 million bucks, you can bet I'd have a big-time Aston Martin or Lamborghini. Jay Leno has millions of dollars in cars. I don't think it helps him impress the ladies.

Scott D
7/19/2006, 11:59 AM
The $$ amount has nothing to do with it. If you buy a vehicle strictly so others can see you cruising in it then you've bought it for status.

If I had, say Michael Jordan money, I'd buy a Dodge Viper. Why? Cause a) I could afford it and b)they're faster than ****. Nobody's gonna see me - well except my tail lights.

the mental image of you getting into and out of a Viper is highly amusing.

Mjcpr
7/19/2006, 12:01 PM

Wasn't Viper one of those guys' names in that pic that Grapevine posted the other day?

OUDoc
Picture him hauling hay around the property in it.

1stTimeCaller

If I had a Viper I'd drive 15mph and stick my head out like a dog does.

Quit honking, enjoy looking at my sweet ride.

Scott D
7/19/2006, 12:03 PM

hitchin the trailer for the tailgates.

achiro
7/19/2006, 12:05 PM
If I had a Viper I'd drive 15mph and stick my head out like a dog does. Quit honking, enjoy looking at my sweet ride.
Vipers ride like **** and are uncomfortable but are fast as hell. I don't know if I like those or the Ford GT-500 better now. I would take either one.:D

mdklatt
7/19/2006, 12:07 PM

Dean needs something with a lot of horsepower to haul around animal carcasses and such.

Vaevictis
7/19/2006, 12:14 PM
When someone spends 500 grand on a car it has nothing to do with comfort, ammenities, or power. Its all about status. So at what point, money wise, does a car become that?

I'm not talking about the fact that a $10,000 car can get you around, I am talking about having nice stuff, whether you need it or not, like gps, leather, dvd player, etc. At what point are you finished paying for that and only paying for the name? Or as some would say, penis extension.

IMO, you're confusing two issues. Some people (like me) just love the gadgets. I'm a bona fide technophile, and even if I don't need the gadgets, damn do I love them.

For example, I'd happily drop $80k (if I had it to spare) on a Caddy XLR. What's not to love? It's Caddy's take on the Corvette. Speed and amenities, neat technology. Fun car.

On the other hand, when my Step-Mother-In-Law bought home her brand new Porche brand SUV... now that is all about status. (where as, if she had brought home a 911, maybe not).

Anyhow, it's not the amount that makes it about status. It's when you're tossing money after stuff that contributes only to image -- like, for example, the Porche brand on an SUV. :)

mdklatt
7/19/2006, 12:15 PM
The Acura/Lexus/Infiniti models have higher performance engines, plusher interiors, and standard features that are either optional or not available on their lower priced counterparts. In addition to that, the after-purchase service you'll receive at Acura/Lexus/Infiniti dealership is far better than you get from a mid-grade dealer. Thus, you're buying a better car and better service, not "status". Any status that comes along with that is either in your mind or purely coincidental.

At what point does more horsepower and automatic windshield wipers become about status?

mdklatt
7/19/2006, 12:19 PM
Anyhow, it's not the amount that makes it about status. It's when you're tossing money after stuff that contributes only to image -- like, for example, the Porche brand on an SUV. :)

The Porsche Cayenne is supposed to be a really kick-*** SUV.

Mjcpr
7/19/2006, 12:20 PM

I heard it was Hot! Hot! Hot!

mdklatt
7/19/2006, 12:22 PM
I heard it was Hot! Hot! Hot!

This clunker makes me wish I could take back some of the spek I gave earlier today.

-(:D x 25)

SicEmBaylor
7/19/2006, 12:25 PM
My Beetle is totally about having a status symbol regardless of its price.

Honestly, you know when the extra money you're spending is on the name of the car rather than the car itself. That should be rather apparent. It's your money; do with it what you will.

jeremy885
7/19/2006, 12:28 PM
My Beetle is totally about having a status symbol regardless of its price.

Status in the ghey community? :confused:

;)

SoonerInKCMO
7/19/2006, 12:29 PM
Beetles are status symbols? :confused:

mdklatt
7/19/2006, 12:31 PM
Beetles are status symbols? :confused:

The flower vase built into the dash certainly symbolizes something.

jeremy885
7/19/2006, 12:35 PM

A Honda Accord is a status symbol car?

Hell, the new Honda Civic a bought my wife was almost 20K with the TTL.

Vaevictis
7/19/2006, 12:37 PM

Trust me. With this woman, it was all about status.

Hamhock
7/19/2006, 12:44 PM

one letter makes a huge difference. the S. Cayenne S is kick-***. Caynne is not so much.

OklahomaRed
7/19/2006, 12:47 PM
IMO, you're confusing two issues. Some people (like me) just love the gadgets. I'm a bona fide technophile, and even if I don't need the gadgets, damn do I love them.

For example, I'd happily drop $80k (if I had it to spare) on a Caddy XLR. What's not to love? It's Caddy's take on the Corvette. Speed and amenities, neat technology. Fun car.

On the other hand, when my Step-Mother-In-Law bought home her brand new Porche brand SUV... now that is all about status. (where as, if she had brought home a 911, maybe not).

Exactly. $500K to one person may be like you or me spending $10 bucks. I think the key question would be why do some people buy vehicles they can not afford? If someone is spending so much money it puts them into a debt ratio they will never dig out of, then they have serious issues with self esteem if they think a high dollar car is going to make others think more highly of them. However, if I have the kind of money I can buy a $70K car with cash on the barrel, I really don't give a rat's rear end what others think about me. Right? I'm going to drive what I want to drive, how fast I want to drive it (because I can afford the insurance and the tickets), and I like listening to my high dollar stereo while I sit on my fat rear end squished between the narrow leather seats. A car does not make a person. Just look at Dean? He's cool driving his farm rig with the hay bale wench? Right?

With that being said, I just bought a 2006 Honda Civic Si and slapped after market wheels and a cold air induction system on it. Driving it makes me feel 16 again. Is that a bad thing?
:cool:

Hamhock
7/19/2006, 12:49 PM

It's all about mindset.

I roll leather. 'Cause i have small kids and it's a lot easier to clean and wears better.

I roll a dvd player. Long trips. 3 kids.

I roll navi. Wife has the sense of direction of a rock.

I roll all the above in a minivan. :texan:

1stTimeCaller
7/19/2006, 12:49 PM
did you just call Mrs. C&C Dean a 'hay bale wench' ?

mdklatt
7/19/2006, 12:50 PM
With that being said, I just bought a 2006 Honda Civic Si and slapped after market wheels and a cold air induction system on it. Driving it makes me feel 16 again. Is that a mid life crisis?

Yes. :D

Hamhock
7/19/2006, 12:51 PM
With that being said, I just bought a 2006 Honda Civic Si and slapped after market wheels and a cold air induction system on it. Driving it makes me feel 16 again. Is that a bad thing?

I need to withhold my determination.

Did you put an exhaust on it that makes it sound like a weed-eater?

yermom
7/19/2006, 12:51 PM
one letter makes a huge difference. the S. Cayenne S is kick-***. Caynne is not so much.

the base Cayenne is still pretty nice, i'm sure... the Toureg is basically the same thing with less amenities, and they seem pretty kickass (as far as SUVs go anyway... give me a CJ ;))

like the Ford GT over the Viper too, but they are like 2X the price, the Z06 is a much better deal for the $$$ though

personally, i think the McLaren Benz is kinda ugly, and i'd rather have like 2-3 different cars that probably wouldn't add up to the price ;)

OklahomaRed
7/19/2006, 12:56 PM
I need to withhold my determination.

Did you put an exhaust on it that makes it sound like a weed-eater?

Nope. I left the factory exhaust, it actually has a good tone. I don't like the tin can sound the after market coffee cans make.

:texan:

yermom
7/19/2006, 12:58 PM
my buddy has an '03 one, it's not too bad, i was liking the pep after driving my gf's Jetta and her mom's Legacy

OklahomaRed
7/19/2006, 12:58 PM
did you just call Mrs. C&C Dean a 'hay bale wench' ?

No freakin' way. She would stomp a mud hole in me! :D

OklahomaRed
7/19/2006, 12:59 PM
Yes. :D

I think you are right. It's still fun. Who said old men can't have fun, too?

etouffee
7/19/2006, 01:00 PM
At what point does more horsepower and automatic windshield wipers become about status?at the point where a person's insecurities extend to their car, I suppose. secure people want higher horsepower in a car because they enjoy the feeling of rapid acceleration, (there's also a safety factor involved, because you can merge into flowing traffic more quickly, but i think that's exaggerated), and they want automatic wipers because they're convenient, albeit in a minor way. If those sorts of things are about status for you, you need to ask yourself why.

C&CDean
7/19/2006, 01:01 PM
No freakin' way. She would stomp a mud hole in me! :D

True dat.

CatHunter
7/19/2006, 01:03 PM
The reason I ask isthat I was thinking of one of these but don't want people to make fun of me.
http://us.autos1.yimg.com/img.autos.yahoo.com/aic/mercedesbenz_slr_mclaren_2006_385x192.jpg?MERSLR1

The irony is, this car even LOOKS like a penis! :D

I want people to want my car. That's why I buy what I buy. And also, the more expensive, the less people have it. I hate sitting at a stoplight and seeing 6 of the same car. And if you don't agree with me, then why do you brush your hair and match your clothes in the morning. Image.

yermom
7/19/2006, 01:04 PM
at the point where a person's insecurities extend to their car, I suppose. secure people want more horsepower in a car because they enjoy more rapid acceleration, and they want automatic wipers because they're convenient, albeit in a minor way. If those things are about status for you, you need to ask yourself why.

i read this totally wrong the first time :O

i agree about horsepower, in real traffic having no power to get around/in front of people is at least a convenience issue, at most a safety issue

automatic wipers i can't really see :p sounds like a neat gadget, but i can't imagine it actually being a factor in buying a car

Taxman71
7/19/2006, 01:04 PM
Now if you buy a car more expensive than an Acura/Lexus/Infiniti that has the same or even less quality, performance, features and service (such as a low-end Mercedes), then you're probably trying to buy status.

Frozen's going to kill you.

yermom
7/19/2006, 01:06 PM
screw him, the traitor :mad:

;)

Mjcpr
7/19/2006, 01:07 PM
Howzit's gettin' one of these

http://saladwithsteve.com/agcar.gif

etouffee
7/19/2006, 01:08 PM
Frozen's going to kill you.meh. if you pay a lot more money for a car of equal or lesser quality, with less horsepower and less standard features, i don't see how that can be about anything but status. but i'm always open to suggestions.

CatHunter
7/19/2006, 01:09 PM
meh. if you pay a lot more money for a car of equal or lesser quality, with less horsepower and less standard features, i don't see how that can be about anything but status. but i'm always open to suggestions.

It's a damn cool looking car and fun to drive?

yermom
7/19/2006, 01:09 PM
meh. if you pay a lot more money for a car of equal or lesser quality, with less horsepower and less standard features, i don't see how that can be about anything but status. but i'm always open to suggestions.

i'm pretty sure he admitted as much ;)

mdklatt
7/19/2006, 01:10 PM
i agree about horsepower, in real traffic having no power to get around/in front of people is at least a convenience issue, at most a safety issue

How much horsepower is enough? Excessive horsepower can encourage unsafe driving habits: Yield signs and no passing zones are for Kia drivers! If it's a safey issue, surely high horsepower cars are less to insure, right?

etouffee
7/19/2006, 01:12 PM
How much horsepower is enough? Excessive horsepower can encourage unsafe driving habitsyou probably have a point, but it's not really relevant to the central question of this thread. we're not talking about whether or not excessive horsepower is good or bad: we're talking about the reasons why people pay extra to have it (whether those reasons are misguided or not)

yermom
7/19/2006, 01:13 PM
i'm not talking about 500 HP (or 300 :O)

but 200ish vs 100ish on the highway makes a pretty big difference

Vaevictis
7/19/2006, 01:13 PM

Well, it could just be stupidity.

yermom
7/19/2006, 01:18 PM

C&CDean
7/19/2006, 01:19 PM
I want people to want my car. That's why I buy what I buy. And also, the more expensive, the less people have it. I hate sitting at a stoplight and seeing 6 of the same car. And if you don't agree with me, then why do you brush your hair and match your clothes in the morning. Image.

This post absolutely reeks of closet gaydusness.

I don't brush my hair. My wife matches my clothes. Image schmimage.

mdklatt
7/19/2006, 01:19 PM
you probably have a point, but it's not really relevant to the central question of this thread. we're not talking about whether or not excessive horsepower is good or bad: we're talking about why people pay to have it.

At some level, excess anything is about status, isn't? What percentage of drivers ever use all of their car's capability? Who needs a car that can go 150+ MPH? Why would even want a car that could go that fast unless you race it?

etouffee
7/19/2006, 01:20 PM
i'm not talking about 500 HP (or 300 :O)

but 200ish vs 100ish on the highway makes a pretty big differenceI'd agree with that. At some point, insufficient horsepower is just as much a safety issue as excessive horsepower.

yermom
At some level, excess anything is about status, isn't? What percentage of drivers ever use all of their car's capability? Who needs a car that can go 150+ MPH? Why would even want a car that could go that fast unless you race it?

that still doesn't have to be for someone else

but i'd rather not use someting to it's full potential than have the needs surpass what it could do (not just straight line speed here)

CatHunter
This post absolutely reeks of closet gaydusness.

I don't brush my hair. My wife matches my clothes. Image schmimage.

We all know your a different breed.

And your gay.

Ok then, why do you have your spek turned on then?

C&CDean
7/19/2006, 01:22 PM
We all know your a different breed.

And your gay.

Ok then, why do you have your spek turned on then?

My spek? Cause I don't know how to turn it off?:O And I really don't care either way.

And it's "you're gay" ya non-spelling, non-shooting muh****ah.

CatHunter
7/19/2006, 01:24 PM
My spek? Cause I don't know how to turn it off?:O And I really don't care either way.

And it's "you're gay" ya non-spelling, non-shooting muh****ah.

Thanks. I forgot proper grammer, school boy.

Oh, and I missed on purpose. I wanted your son to get the glory! :D

etouffee
7/19/2006, 01:25 PM
At some level, excess anything is about status, isn't? What percentage of drivers ever use all of their car's capability? Who needs a car that can go 150+ MPH? Why would even want a car that could go that fast unless you race it?Some people are simply willing to pay for horsepower because even though they probably never will go that fast, they like knowing they could if they wanted to. Most people don't use all their computer's power, or turn their stereo up as loud as it will go, or use any number of other devices at their maximum settings. That doesn't necessarily mean they bought all these things for status, although some may have.

No doubt, some people buy ridiculously fast cars for status. But a fair number also buy them because they like fast cars. I don't think it's fair to assume all high-end car buyers are shallow and insecure.

CatHunter
7/19/2006, 01:27 PM
Somebody set it up! I'll ****ing play her!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BlondeSoonerGirl
7/19/2006, 01:28 PM
I'm learning a lot about myself from this thread...

mdklatt
7/19/2006, 01:31 PM
that still doesn't have to be for someone else

but i'd rather not use someting to it's full potential than have the needs surpass what it could do (not just straight line speed here)

I just threw that speed out there as an example. I wasn't trying to define where the line between practicality and image is, but there definitely is one for horespower and most other aspects of a car.

C&CDean
7/19/2006, 01:31 PM
I'm learning a lot about myself from this thread...

1996 Camry with rebuilt front end = NO penis.

BlondeSoonerGirl
7/19/2006, 01:32 PM
I don't think Pat drives a Camry...

Mjcpr
7/19/2006, 01:48 PM
I don't think Pat drives a Camry...

Can somebody tell me why I got negged by TDin2K?

:confused:

1stTimeCaller
7/19/2006, 01:49 PM
:hot: :twinkies:

mdklatt
7/19/2006, 01:50 PM
:hot: :twinkies:

:hot: :carl:

mdklatt
7/19/2006, 01:51 PM

She probably can.

CatHunter
7/19/2006, 01:51 PM

Because you made fun of her Camry bra?

Stoop Dawg
7/19/2006, 02:09 PM
I don't think it's a fixed dollar amount or options. I think it's a percentage of disposable income.

If you made millions per year, why NOT drive a Ferrari? If you are on welfare and drive a new car, it's ALL image.

What's "practical" depends on your income. If you really can afford it, I think it's okay. If you're buying pricey items to make your income look larger than it really is, you're buying image.

Just my 2 cents.

jeremy885
7/19/2006, 02:37 PM

She has a thing about Camrys being the best car on Earth .