PDA

View Full Version : i'm not from the midwest...or oklahoma

bellefay1
7/19/2006, 12:25 AM
randomly...do y'all like the band "the flaming lips" and if so...why?

sidequestion:

would you like them if they weren't from oklahoma?

PhilTLL
7/19/2006, 12:33 AM
I'll keep it short: no and no. I don't actively dislike them, and in fact have enjoyed them in concert, but they're just this side of silly and pretentiously-overproduced for my tastes.

Soonerchaz
7/19/2006, 12:40 AM
Love the Lips. I was lucky enough to be at OU from 84-88...so I caught 'em on the rise. They lost me a bit in the early-mid 90s...but their last 3 records are gems. Pretentious? They're about as pretentious as that TV show 90210. Oh wait...

Plus...they rock War Pigs harder than Sabbath.

King Crimson
7/19/2006, 12:45 AM
right on chaz. i, too, saw them many times in norman/okc in that time period. on teh subject of covers....they used to do about a half hour version of Floyd's Interstellar Overdrive.

Rhino
7/19/2006, 12:50 AM
Yes and yes.

If you haven't seen them live, then you probably can't understand why people like them.

PhilTLL
7/19/2006, 12:54 AM
Yes and yes.

If you haven't seen them live, then you probably can't understand why people like them.

This is spot on. I dug the hell out of them in concert - Bonnaroo 2003, for the record, which I understand was something of a high water mark for them - and could definitely understand the appeal a lot more after that. Still didn't like the albums when I gave them another shot, but that's just me. :)

GottaHavePride
7/19/2006, 01:20 AM
That may be why I just can't get into them, then. All I've ever heard is recordings, and it's just not my cup of tea. On top of that, I'm just not a big live music person.

Funny, coming from a musician, but there it is. Partly because I just don't get into the pop and/or rock scene that much; partly because if I want to hang out with other people I don't want to shout over music, and I don't want other people shouting at me while I'm trying to check out the music. Oh, and partly because I think most live music is too damn loud - trying to be heard over all the people trying to shout over the music. I would totally dig a place doing live acoustic jazz. Except I also don't like breathing someone else's cigarette smoke while I'm enjoying some tasty music. Oh, and I like being somewhere I can sit down, close my eyes, and completely listen to what's going on - I don't care what they're doing onstage so much, and standing up takes entirely too much brainpower away from the listening. [/rant]

Oh, and outside of jazz and classical music I've been to exactly three live concerts. One was Weird Al while I was a nerd in high school. One was Bela Fleck in Tulsa a couple of years ago (which would have been completely awesome except there was nowhere to sit, the clouds of pot smoke, and the guy causing most of the clouds kept shouting "Show me somethin' BELAAAAAAAAAA!" all night - that made it just mostly awesome :D ) and the third was Phil Collins in OKC, which I went to with my mom and sis, and was freaking sweet.

royalfan5
7/19/2006, 07:53 AM
I love the Lips, and I'm from Nebraska. I would also likely like them if I were from Oklahoma, too.

SoonerInKCMO
7/19/2006, 08:08 AM
Who's this GHP guy? He must be a geezer.

BlondeSoonerGirl
7/19/2006, 09:26 AM
Yes.

YES!

Mjcpr
7/19/2006, 09:27 AM
Yes.

YES!

:eek:

Fugue
7/19/2006, 09:29 AM
:pop:

OhU1
7/19/2006, 09:54 AM
I'm with Gotta Have Pride about live music - hate it. Been a geezer ever since I was 18 :) That being said I think I saw the Lips live at least 2 or 3 times in the early - mid 80's. Wayne worked at Rainbow Records on campus corner. I like some of their stuff and would regardless of where they are from.

I thought Chainsaw Kittens from Norman in the early 90's were awesome but I haven't heard much about them which is too bad.

mdklatt
7/19/2006, 10:38 AM
I live in Oklahoma, but I'm not "from" Oklahoma. I cannot stand the Flaming Lips' music, although I've never seen them live. I don't think my opinion would change if I was from here. It's just not my thing. At all.

skycat
7/19/2006, 10:50 AM
Funny, coming from a musician, but there it is. Partly because I just don't get into the pop and/or rock scene that much; partly because if I want to hang out with other people I don't want to shout over music, and I don't want other people shouting at me while I'm trying to check out the music. Oh, and partly because I think most live music is too damn loud - trying to be heard over all the people trying to shout over the music. I would totally dig a place doing live acoustic jazz. Except I also don't like breathing someone else's cigarette smoke while I'm enjoying some tasty music. Oh, and I like being somewhere I can sit down, close my eyes, and completely listen to what's going on - I don't care what they're doing onstage so much, and standing up takes entirely too much brainpower away from the listening. [/rant]

Austin has a couple of places where some pretty good jazz musicians wander in once in a while. And a smoking ban now, too. :texan:

I used to go all the time, pre-smoking ban. But well, I'm a geezer now.

As to the Lips: meh.

SicEmBaylor
7/19/2006, 11:50 AM
I'm not a fan of The Lips. I had no idea they were even from OKC/Norman. Us Okie folk in the eastern hills don't get too much OKC culture. Anyway, If you're from OK and like a band just because they're from OK then I give you....Hanson.

Which doesn't bode well for the OKC/Tulsa debate. Lips>Hanson.

Scott D
7/19/2006, 11:51 AM
Yes.

YES!

this just loses it's charm without a third one. ;)

Mjcpr
7/19/2006, 11:54 AM
this just loses it's charm without a third one. ;)

She knows very little about baseball.

BlondeSoonerGirl
7/19/2006, 11:56 AM
Oh, man... :D

Scott D
7/19/2006, 12:00 PM
She knows very little about baseball.

docking Pat 10k posts for missing the 'When Harry Met Sally' reference. :twinkies:

KC//CRIMSON
7/19/2006, 01:50 PM
Yes and Yes.

Also a huge fan of The Chainsaw Kittens.

CatHunter
7/19/2006, 01:57 PM
Two words: Color Me Badd.

YES AND YES!

BigRedJed
7/19/2006, 07:01 PM
I don't care for them much. Too strange for my tastes.

Soonerchaz
7/19/2006, 07:14 PM
Also a huge fan of The Chainsaw Kittens.

Always loved Defenestration more than the Kittens. Too bad those 2 Defenestration records never made it to CD.

tbl
7/19/2006, 07:56 PM
As I walked along.... the supposed Golden Path.

KC//CRIMSON
7/19/2006, 08:15 PM
Always loved Defenestration more than the Kittens. Too bad those 2 Defenestration records never made it to CD.

I'm "suppose" to get both on CD anytime now.:cool:

King Crimson
7/19/2006, 10:44 PM
Dali Does Windows was a bit disappointing when it came out. defenestration had signed with Restless Records which was a subset of Enigma and worked with Randy Burns who also produced the Lips "Hear it is" (and the Lips weren't all that pleased either). def had been playing that batch of songs out for quite a while and they rocked live but Burns production buried everything raw about defenstration and made D does D a pretty bland sounding record (from a production standpoint). which is too bad.

Todd Walker, who left defenestration, was a pretty talented songwriter and guitar player. no offense to the Kittens (who I like), but Tyson never worked with anyone as talented (IMO) in CK.

Soonerchaz
7/19/2006, 11:10 PM
Dali Does Windows was a bit disappointing when it came out. defenestration had signed with Restless Records which was a subset of Enigma and worked with Randy Burns who also produced the Lips "Hear it is" (and the Lips weren't all that pleased either). def had been playing that batch of songs out for quite a while and they rocked live but Burns production buried everything raw about defenstration and made D does D a pretty bland sounding record (from a production standpoint). which is too bad.

Todd Walker, who left defenestration, was a pretty talented songwriter and guitar player. no offense to the Kittens (who I like), but Tyson never worked with anyone as talented (IMO) in CK.

I agree about Dali Does Windows. There's some great songs there...but the production was a complete mismatch. Now Defenestration's self-titled record was pure genius. I absolutely wore that thing out and I still give it play every few months. I'd say Tyson and those boys had more impact on my music listening back then than the Lips.

Funny you mention Todd Walker. I stumbled across my vinyl copy of Thrown Away awhile back. Good stuff...and I bet I hadn't listened to it in 15 years.

critical_phil
7/19/2006, 11:17 PM

i blame 7 mary 3.

King Crimson
7/20/2006, 12:02 AM
I agree about Dali Does Windows. There's some great songs there...but the production was a complete mismatch. Now Defenestration's self-titled record was pure genius. I absolutely wore that thing out and I still give it play every few months. I'd say Tyson and those boys had more impact on my music listening back then than the Lips.

Funny you mention Todd Walker. I stumbled across my vinyl copy of Thrown Away awhile back. Good stuff...and I bet I hadn't listened to it in 15 years.

i say the songs themselves were good above (they were epic live)....the production detracted from what might have been a very very good record--is all i'm saying. the defenestration EP is great. slaughterville, feminism on television, whatever the first cut is called on side 1, etc.

BlondeSoonerGirl
7/20/2006, 08:42 AM
I work with the bass player from Defenestration.

No $hit.