PDA

View Full Version : Mormon Question

achiro
7/18/2006, 10:24 AM
Does a mormon believe that the average Christian type person will not go to heaven just because they don't believe that Jesus came back to visit the US?

Viking Kitten
7/18/2006, 10:34 AM
Joseph Smith was called a prophet
Dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb
He started the Mormon religion
Dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb.
Dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb

Joseph Smith was called a prophet-
Dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb
Many people believed Joseph
Dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb

And that night he-ee saw an angel
Dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb

Dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb
Joseph Smith was called a prophet
Dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb
Dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb

He found the stones and golden plates
Dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb
Even though nobody else ever saw them
Dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb
Dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb
Dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb

And that's how the Book of Mormon was written
Dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb
Dumb dadumb dumb dumb dumb dumb
Dumb dadumb dumb dumb dumb dumb
Dahumb dahumb dumb dumb dumb dumb
Dumb dumb dumb dumb duuumb, duuumb.

Martin went home to his wife
Dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb
And showed her pages from the Book of Mormon
Dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb
Lucy Harris smart smart smart
Smart smart smart smart smart
Martin Harris dumb dadumb- Lucy Harris smart smart smart
Martin Harris dumb.

So Martin went on back to Smith
Said the pages had gone away
Smith got mad and told Martin
He needed to go pray
Dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb

Dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb Dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb.

tbl
7/18/2006, 10:37 AM
Mormons believe most people will go to a type of heaven, but they just won't be Gods of their own planets unless they're Mormons (seriously). That's why originally polygamy was acceptable (and still is in the more devout circles). The more people they have on earth, the more little gods they are breeding (seriously).

saucysoonergal
7/18/2006, 10:37 AM
Maybe they think the average Christian won't get their own planet to be God over, but what do I know, I don't even have any holy underwear, well I did, but I bought some new ones.

SoonerInKCMO
7/18/2006, 10:38 AM
VK - That didn't make a damn bit of sense. Are you drunk? Again? Still?

saucysoonergal
7/18/2006, 10:38 AM
And "The Dude", you just barely beat me.

Viking Kitten
7/18/2006, 10:42 AM
Being a god over my own planet would be a big fat pain in the a** anyway. I'd just smite everyone and be done with it.

saucysoonergal
7/18/2006, 10:44 AM
But raining down hellfire and brimstone might be fun.

Viking Kitten
7/18/2006, 10:46 AM
Maybe a plague of locusts, just for kicks.

SoonerInKCMO
7/18/2006, 10:53 AM
My planet would be full of hot naked chicks.

Okla-homey
7/18/2006, 10:54 AM
Being a god over my own planet would be a big fat pain in the a** anyway. I'd just smite everyone and be done with it.

Actually VK, according to longstanding Mormon doctrine, your job would not involve being god of the planet. It would involve an infinite number of celestial mattress dancing sessions with your husband (marriage sealed for time and eternity in an official temple ceremony.) The progeny of said sessions would become the spirit children (a/k/a souls) which would eventually inherit human bodies and populate "your" planet. All smitings would strictly be your husband's perogative.

In other words, your job would be to crank out kids for the next bajillion years or so.

SoonerInKCMO
7/18/2006, 10:54 AM
Wait a minute... If I were God I'd probably have x-ray vision so the women wouldn't have to be naked.

Viking Kitten
7/18/2006, 10:57 AM
I'd develop a team of top-notch scientists to launch interplanetary missiles at KCMO's planet.

Viking Kitten
7/18/2006, 10:58 AM
Actually VK, according to longstanding Mormon doctrine, your job would not involve being god of the planet. It would involve an infinite number of celestial mattress dancing sessions with your husband (marriage sealed for time and eternity in an official temple ceremony.) The progeny of said sessions would become the spirit children (a/k/a souls) which would eventually inherit human bodies and populate "your" planet. All smitings would strictly be your husband's perogative.

In other words, your job would be to crank out kids for the next bajillion years or so.

It's my planet, I'll simply grow a penis.

tbl
7/18/2006, 11:01 AM
Sorry. Not according to the LDS teaching. Homey is exactly right. You would be a spiritual baby making machine.

Okla-homey
7/18/2006, 11:02 AM
It's my planet, I'll grow a penis.

Now that's some outside the box thinking!

Viking Kitten
7/18/2006, 11:02 AM
Post reported.

SoonerInKCMO
7/18/2006, 11:04 AM
I'd develop a team of top-notch scientists to launch interplanetary missiles at KCMO's planet.

So you're making your planet all men?

Viking Kitten
7/18/2006, 11:07 AM
Fabulous gay men.

etouffee
7/18/2006, 11:11 AM
so i take it there will be lots of places to shop

Okla-homey
7/18/2006, 11:11 AM
Fabulous gay men.

Mrs Homey says if I died, she'd marry a gay man. No secks required and they could share their fabulous sweaters.

soonerhubs
7/18/2006, 11:12 AM
Alright Non Mormon Folks... Let's chill on the deep water ya'll seem to be swimming in. You folks know me as a decent poster, and yes some of the doctrine taught in the church is quite different from mainstream Christianity. But the original question is do we think others besides Latter-Day Saints are making it to heaven. Or as Paul says, the Third Heaven. The answer is Absolutely. I've met too many amazing non-mormons and too many stupid mormons to believe other wise.

Viking Kitten
7/18/2006, 11:14 AM
Mrs Homey says if I died, she'd marry a gay man. No secks required and they could share their fabulous sweaters.

And he could help her shop for fabulous shoes.

soonerhubs
7/18/2006, 11:15 AM
Regarding Planets and Many Wives. I'm simply going to say that Eternal Progression is taught to occur even after death, and I don't imagine heaven being similar to the Far Side Comic where the guy sitting on the cloud is quoted saying, "I wished I'd brought a Magazine"

Do we know where we are going? Not precisely, but we do believe that modern prophets have revealed and clarified some different aspects of God's plan for us, his kiddos.

Okla-homey
7/18/2006, 11:17 AM
Alright Non Mormon Folks... Let's chill on the deep water ya'll seem to be swimming in. You folks know me as a decent poster, and yes some of the doctrine taught in the church is quite different from mainstream Christianity. But the original question is do we think others besides Latter-Day Saints are making it to heaven. Or as Paul says, the Third Heaven. The answer is Absolutely. I've met too many amazing non-mormons and too many stupid mormons to believe other wise.

Fine. Now, about that godhood stuff. We believe in upfront advertising here. How can we make an informed decision about a religion unless this sort of thing is discussed openly? Example: Hindus do not mince words about that whole reincarnation dealio. Are you people trying to play hide the ball or what?;) :pop:

soonerhubs
7/18/2006, 11:19 AM
Fine. Now, about that godhood stuff. We believe in upfront advertising here. How can we make an informed decision about a religion unless this sort of thing is discussed openly? Example: Hindus do not mince words about that whole reincarnation dealio. Are you people trying to play hide the ball or what?;) :pop:
Share that Popcorn. Okay sure, that's one of the fundamental beliefs. I'm not gonna lie.:pop:

NormanPride
7/18/2006, 11:21 AM
Anyone with awesome dogs like the Hubler clan is okay in my book.

Okla-homey
7/18/2006, 11:21 AM
Share that Popcorn. Okay sure, that's one of the fundamental beliefs. I'm not gonna lie.:pop:

That's cool. Not for me, but that's cool nonetheless.

soonerhubs
7/18/2006, 11:27 AM
That's cool. Not for me, but that's cool nonetheless.
I like you homey. I didn't mean to get defensive, I suppose, being raised Mormon in Oklahoma get's rough sometimes. I could fill a page with stories about people not talking to me, or being rude to me once they found out I was LDS.

The South Park episode was funny, but they left alot out. (Go Figure)

tbl
7/18/2006, 11:27 AM
we do believe that modern prophets have revealed and clarified some different aspects of God's plan for us, his kiddos.
Therein lies the problem. The Canon has been closed for almost 2,000 years, and most of the doctrines tought by the LDS have 0 support from Scripture and are completely contrary to what the Bible teaches. Sorry, but Mormon doctrine is NOT Christian, by any use of the term. I'm not saying you're not a good person or sincere in your beliefs. Most Mormons are VERY religious people and have a zeal for good works. Much like Israel though, Romans 10:1-3 applies to the LDS.

mdklatt
7/18/2006, 11:30 AM
Therein lies the problem. The Canon has been closed for almost 2,000 years, and most of the doctrines tought by the LDS have 0 support from Scripture and are completely contrary to what the Bible teaches. Sorry, but Mormon doctrine is NOT Christian, by any use of the term. I'm not saying you're not a good person or sincere in your beliefs. Most Mormons are VERY religious people and have a zeal for good works. Much like Israel though, Romans 10:1-3 applies to the LDS.

Isn't Mormonism to Christianity what Christianity is to Judaism?

tbl
7/18/2006, 11:31 AM
How so?

soonerhubs
7/18/2006, 11:33 AM
I respect, but strongly disagree with your views regarding my beliefs. That said, I'm done with this thread.

Okla-homey
7/18/2006, 11:41 AM
I like you homey. I didn't mean to get defensive, I suppose, being raised Mormon in Oklahoma get's rough sometimes. I could fill a page with stories about people not talking to me, or being rude to me once they found out I was LDS.

The South Park episode was funny, but they left alot out. (Go Figure)

Brother Hubler,
I dedicated most of my adult life in defense of the constitutional proposition that folks in this country are free to believe whatever they want. Even free to be wHornfans. I've known a lot of fine LDS folks in my day. You seem like one too.

That said, when you set your world up, please do not permit the designated hitter rule and please require calls of defensive pass interference reviewed by instant-replay to result in an automatic first down.

mdklatt
7/18/2006, 11:42 AM
How so?

Christians added a bunch of stuff to Judaism, and Mormons added a bunch of stuff to Christianity.

TheHumanAlphabet
7/18/2006, 11:46 AM

Hubler,

Question? Not a flame.

With the understanding that people believe what they believe and faith is sometimes non-sensical (i.e., the Christian faith at times...). You say that LDS has some different doctrines, some that may be quite different (and perhaps go against science or mainstream thinking/knowledge), how do you reconcile that against what is "known" as fact or general concensus or at least seems to contradict what is known as LDS doctrine? E.g. the special goggles to read the tablets, the original "racists" doctrine and the embracing of those cultures today.

I would ask the same of Scientologists and Xemu/Xenu and the DC-8 style space planes...

Okla-homey
7/18/2006, 11:46 AM
Christians added a bunch of stuff to Judaism, and Mormons added a bunch of stuff to Christianity.

Actually, all the Christian denominations have more or less "added stuff" to Christianity IMHO.

tbl
7/18/2006, 11:48 AM
Actually, Christianity didn't add anything to Judaism. Christ fulfilled the law and the OT prophecies concerning Him, so Christianity did two things with Judaism: Completed it, and actually removed the requirement of keeping the law. That's not to say that we aren't to strive to keep the moral law, but since it's impossible for us to achieve that goal on our own, we look to the one man that did uphold the law in every area, never sinned, and paid the only acceptable sacrifice to appease the wrath of God against sin. Once we become His disciples, we are enabled by His Spirit to serve Him. Though we stumble, He acts as our mediator and High Priest, providing forgiveness and grace to enable us to grow in our service to Him.

CatHunter
7/18/2006, 11:51 AM
pssst..He said he was done with this thread.

I always helped the LD kids carry their books in high school. The girls thought it was sweet.

TheHumanAlphabet
7/18/2006, 11:51 AM
Actually, Christianity didn't add anything to Judaism. Christ fulfilled the law and the OT prophecies concerning Him, so Christianity did two things with Judaism: Completed it, and actually removed the requirement of keeping the law. That's not to say that we aren't to strive to keep the moral law, but since it's impossible for us to achieve that goal on our own, we look to the one man that did uphold the law in every area, never sinned, and paid the only acceptable sacrifice to appease the wrath of God against sin. Once we become His disciples, we are enabled by His Spirit to serve Him. Though we stumble, He acts as our mediator and High Priest, providing forgiveness and grace to enable us to grow in our service to Him.

While that is my faith, If I were an outsider looking in, I would think that this is the oddest thing to believe, esp. since there is little definitive proof he lived and existed and there is no documented writings of his teachings - only written accounts of verbal stories many decades old. At least Muhammed - supposedly was written as he spoke...though that is being debated today.

Widescreen
7/18/2006, 11:54 AM
Mormons are generally good folk - very honorable and honest.

They also belong to a religion whose prophet said that American Indians all descended from a lost tribe of Hebrews which is demonstrably false via DNA testing. I couldn't belong to a religion founded by a guy who made claims that were untrue. In fact, the church of LDS still sends missionaries out - particularly to south america- to tell them they're all Jews even though it's proven that they're not.

mdklatt
7/18/2006, 11:55 AM
Actually, Christianity didn't add anything to Judaism. Christ fulfilled the law and the OT prophecies concerning Him, so Christianity did two things with Judaism: Completed it, and actually removed the requirement of keeping the law.

Christians to Jews: Check out our new religion--it's a lot like yours but we added the New Testament.
Jews to Christians: You're full of it.

Mormons to Chirstians: Check out our new religion--it's a llot ike yours but we added the Book of Mormon.
Christians to Mormons: You're full of it.

Widescreen
7/18/2006, 12:02 PM
I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you by the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— which is really no gospel at all. Evidently some people are throwing you into confusion and are trying to pervert the gospel of Christ. But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel other than the one we preached to you, let him be eternally condemned! As we have already said, so now I say again: If anybody is preaching to you a gospel other than what you accepted, let him be eternally condemned!
Hmmm....

tbl
7/18/2006, 12:03 PM
While that is my faith, If I were an outsider looking in, I would think that this is the oddest thing to believe, esp. since there is little definitive proof he lived and existed and there is no documented writings of his teachings - only written accounts of verbal stories many decades old. At least Muhammed - supposedly was written as he spoke...though that is being debated today.
No valid historian argues against the existence of Christ. Not one. Also, the evidence of the writings from direct acquaintances (the disciples) is overwhelming as well. That is a VERY trustworthy source.

tbl
7/18/2006, 12:05 PM
Christians to Jews: Check out our new religion--it's a lot like yours but we added the New Testament.
Jews to Christians: You're full of it.

Mormons to Chirstians: Check out our new religion--it's a llot ike yours but we added the Book of Mormon.
Christians to Mormons: You're full of it.
You obviously didn't read what I said. There is no contradiction between the OT & NT. The OT is very clear that Messiah would come, bear the sins of the world, and eventually judge the world. What the Jews have a beef with is they claim Jesus was not the Messiah. There is MUCH prophetical evidence that He was, but their hearts are hardened.

tbl
7/18/2006, 12:06 PM
1,000!!!

mdklatt
7/18/2006, 12:11 PM
They also belong to a religion whose prophet said that American Indians all descended from a lost tribe of Hebrews which is demonstrably false via DNA testing.

Some of the hardcore Mormon groups are trying to cause doubt about DNA testing and genetics. They claim it's "just a theory".

Widescreen
7/18/2006, 12:13 PM
Which is funny because they're more than happy to use DNA as it relates to their geneological research. :D

critical_phil
7/18/2006, 12:13 PM
They also belong to a religion whose prophet said that American Indians all descended from a lost tribe of Hebrews which is demonstrably false via DNA testing. I couldn't belong to a religion founded by a guy who made claims that were untrue. In fact, the church of LDS still sends missionaries out - particularly to south america- to tell them they're all Jews even though it's proven that they're not.

http://www.lds.org/newsroom/files/jeff_lindsay_dna.pdf

Stoop Dawg
7/18/2006, 12:38 PM
No valid historian argues against the existence of a historical figure called Jesus. Not one.

Fixed that for ya.

Stoop Dawg
7/18/2006, 12:43 PM
The Canon has been closed for almost 2,000 years

Give or take 400 years.

And who closed it? The Bible was written over a span of over 1600 years. Then God suddenly decided that enough was enough?

Widescreen
7/18/2006, 12:50 PM
Give or take 400 years.

And who closed it? The Bible was written over a span of over 1600 years. Then God suddenly decided that enough was enough?
Yes.

http://www.lds.org/newsroom/files/jeff_lindsay_dna.pdf
That paper seems to be arguing that since there has been at least 1 Indian that seems to have a fragment of Jewish DNA, that the prophecy can't be considered false. Dude should work for the gubment in the Department of Spin.

Dio
7/18/2006, 01:05 PM

Yeah, but the stuff we added is all true.

;)

crawfish
7/18/2006, 01:39 PM
I know tons about Mormons. I watch "Big Love".

SoonerWood
7/18/2006, 01:40 PM
This thread has some serious potential. :pop:

XingTheRubicon
7/18/2006, 01:49 PM
Originally Posted by thebiglebowski
No valid historian argues against the existence of a historical figure called Jesus. Not one.

Fixed that for ya.

A historical figure that spawned the largest practiced religion in the history of earth.

TheHumanAlphabet
7/18/2006, 02:32 PM
No valid historian argues against the existence of Christ. Not one. Also, the evidence of the writings from direct acquaintances (the disciples) is overwhelming as well. That is a VERY trustworthy source.

While I agree with you, there is room for doubt from some people as outside of the anecdotal evidence of Jesus, there is little or no direct evidence.

XingTheRubicon
7/18/2006, 02:50 PM
Oh, and The Book of Mormon is not "just Christianity with a little more added."

Mormons believe that Steve Young and Greg at the grocery store are on equal footing with Jesus. We're all God's Children.

Christians believe that Jesus IS God. The holy trinity does not have levels.

The New Testament states very clearly, several times, the path to salvation is through Jesus Christ. Mormons do not believe the path to salvation is through Jesus Christ.

I do respect Mormons for their decency, honor, and Stockton and Malone.

But some of the stories.....are interesting to say the least.

1. Someone comes to Pennsylvania hundreds of years before Columbus and buries the Book of Mormon. Mr. Smith comes along in the 1800's? and finds the buried treasure. The book of Mormon is given to the world.

2. When Smith was locked up ( I think in Missouri ) he's found guilty on 2 counts of not being from Missouri and before sentencing, he bribes the judge with $800 and a bottle of hooch. (not a joke)

3. They slaughtered everything but crickets in Utah. The end.

reevie
7/18/2006, 05:51 PM
:pop:

Sonics and this thread. I'm set for the night's entertainment.

Stoop Dawg
7/18/2006, 07:36 PM
A historical figure that spawned the largest practiced religion in the history of earth.

The fact that a large number of humans believe something is hardly proof that it's true. I don't imagine I need examples to emphasize that point.

Stoop Dawg
7/18/2006, 07:38 PM
But some of the stories.....are interesting to say the least.

1. Someone comes to Pennsylvania hundreds of years before Columbus and buries the Book of Mormon. Mr. Smith comes along in the 1800's? and finds the buried treasure. The book of Mormon is given to the world.

2. When Smith was locked up ( I think in Missouri ) he's found guilty on 2 counts of not being from Missouri and before sentencing, he bribes the judge with $800 and a bottle of hooch. (not a joke)

3. They slaughtered everything but crickets in Utah. The end.

1. The 10 commandments where written on stone tablets, by God himself, and given to Moses on a hilltop?

2. Abraham was prepared to kill his own son, because he thought God told him to. (not a joke)

3. Who killed Smith? The end.

Frozen Sooner
7/18/2006, 08:38 PM
I always find it curious that some that get the huffiest about "Christian bashing" have no problem whatsoever acting like Mormonism is silly.

THA, I can't tell you why, but I gained a lot of respect for you with how you've comported yourself in this thread.

mrowl
7/18/2006, 08:42 PM
there was a really hot mormon chick that lived on my street in highschool, she told me she was not gonna have sex until she got married.

I reminded her of this after my best friend hit it. :D

Widescreen
7/18/2006, 09:21 PM
I always find it curious that some that get the huffiest about "Christian bashing" have no problem whatsoever acting like Mormonism is silly.

THA, I can't tell you why, but I gained a lot of respect for you with how you've comported yourself in this thread.
Excellent point. I shall watch my comportment from now on.

XingTheRubicon
7/18/2006, 09:49 PM
1. The 10 commandments where written on stone tablets, by God himself, and given to Moses on a hilltop?

2. Abraham was prepared to kill his own son, because he thought God told him to. (not a joke)

3. Who killed Smith? The end.

FYI, the Mormons believe #1 and #2 as well.

and as to #3, Joseph Smith shot 3 men, killing 2 before being savagely murdered.

Stoop Dawg
7/18/2006, 10:46 PM
FYI, the Mormons believe #1 and #2 as well.

I'm with you. I was just pointing out that "far fetched" stories of God's word supposedly being handed down to man and prophets who do seemingly crazy things are the norm for most religions.

and as to #3, Joseph Smith shot 3 men, killing 2 before being savagely murdered.

Savagely murdered by who?

XingTheRubicon
7/19/2006, 12:03 AM
Savagely murdered by who?

whom? Masons, I guess.

He wrote before his impending doom "I'm a lamb being led to the slaughter."

The lamb was packin'

Frozen nailed it. I shouldn't mock others' beliefs. So I'll stop right now.

I'll mock my own beliefs.

1. One thousand years before Christ, the Persians had worshipped a eerily familiar story.

2. There was a god: Ahura Mazda

3. There was a devil: Angra Mainyu

4. The god had a son sent to Earth. His birthday, well, his birthday was December 25th.

5. He was killed and he arose from the grave and this was celebrated.

All of this 1,000 years before Christ.

Boarder
7/19/2006, 12:05 AM
Several of my best friends are Mormons. They know I don't agree with everything they believe in. We still go on wakeboarding and snowboarding trips and have a great time. It's not an issue.

That's kind of my definition of tolerance.

Hamhock
7/19/2006, 08:13 AM
Mormons teach that someone can be moved into "heaven" after they're dead by baptism.

they have a team of folks in the temple that baptize people after the fact. Hitler, for example, has been posthumously baptized to bring him into heaven.

the mormon church teaches that pretty much everybody had a chance to make it upstairs, even after death.

Hamhock
7/19/2006, 08:14 AM
Actually, all the Christian denominations have more or less "added stuff" to Christianity IMHO.

i disagree.