PDA

View Full Version : People are weird about insurance

Frozen Sooner
7/18/2006, 12:36 AM
A few clients (and potential clients) I dealt with today:

A guy who has no other business with us wanted insurance for one day for a reception he was having for his daughter's wedding at a local golf course. I told him that I would be happy to write a policy for $750 to do this, but it would probably be easier and MUCH faster to go ahead and endorse his existing homeowner's policy to do the same thing-and would cost less than $100. This made him huffy and ask why I was refusing to help him. Twenty minutes later he called me back to tell me he did exactly what I suggested, it only cost him $20, and didn't I feel dumb. Er, not really. I was doing my ethical duty to suggest he do it that way.

Another guy who was getting non-renewed from a carrier and was switching agencies. I found out really quickly why he was being non-renewed: the company he was with was charging him $812/year for his general liability insurance. The price SHOULD have been more along the lines of $3600/year. The guy was underreporting his payroll by a LARGE margin every year and he finally got hit with an audit. When I told him what the premium was going to be, he got annoyed with me. Dude, I don't set the rates.

There's another guy who's starting up a remodelling business in rural Alaska. No prior experience owning a company, no prior experience managing construction. I told him at the outset, when he first called, that it was going to be tough to get him insurance-his profile is something the companies DON'T like. Told him to write up a resume and I'd do what I could-the resume allowed me to at least argue SOMETHING with the underwriter when they said the guy didn't know what he was doing. Now, it takes the guy a full MONTH to get the requested information to me, then he calls me every day to follow up. I keep telling him that as soon as I have a quote I'd let him know, but unfortunately it would take some time.

I finally get a quote for him, and believe it or not it's VERY reasonable. He's already called me TWICE today. And of course, I can't get in touch with him now.

Heh. And you know what? It's still 5x more fun than banking was.

critical_phil
7/18/2006, 12:58 AM
i was an insurance man for many years in my past life, and i guess i'm glad to hear you say you like it better than banking. the scenario you described will probably be a typical day in your life for as long as you decide to stay in the biz.

i'm glad to be out of it though. making 20K in a month was awesome....until the next 3 months were 0-fers.

have fun building your book. renewals are like magic after a few years in the biz.

Frozen Sooner
7/18/2006, 01:04 AM
Oh, man is it more fun than banking.

I've got a pretty sweet setup right now-they're keeping me on salary, but once I make back my salary in gross commission they pay me 50% of the agency commisions.

Like say I'm making $5k/month base. If I have a $10k month I make $7500. If I have a $12k month I make $8500. And so on. Really levels out those "bad" months and they figure by the end of the year I'll be making enough to pay for my bad months with the good ones.

I'll tell you what I really love about the business-the fact that I get to spend a good portion of each day out making sales calls. I love that. I like getting to know people and learning about their business. I generally try to show up on Fridays for new business-I'm hitting auto repair shops hard and those guys LOVE to hang out and BS right before the weekend.

49r
7/18/2006, 11:30 AM
Good thing we're getting gay marriage baned all over the country, it really has helped keep insurance rates ROCK-BOTTOM, eh Froz?

CatHunter
7/18/2006, 11:40 AM
Hang in there guys. You will make the big bucks someday.

Frozen Sooner
7/18/2006, 08:41 PM
Good thing we're getting gay marriage baned all over the country, it really has helped keep insurance rates ROCK-BOTTOM, eh Froz?

Hee hee. I don't sell any group health, but from what I hear that banning gay marriage thing doesn't seem to be helping on the ol' rates on that side...

Rates are dropping on everything else, though.

Widescreen
7/18/2006, 09:29 PM
Twenty minutes later he called me back to tell me he did exactly what I suggested, it only cost him $20, and didn't I feel dumb. Er, not really. I was doing my ethical duty to suggest he do it that way.
Man, what did you tell that guy? I hope you told him just what you said above. Dude was trying to rub your face in it? Geez.

Jerk
7/18/2006, 09:38 PM
How much to insure my big rig? Btw, I'll be hauling 26 tons of Dynomite.

I don't get paid the big bucks. 4k is a good month for me. I'm lucky to make 3k in a winter month. But I got one thing going for me!!!!! NO PEOPLE TO DEAL WITH! If I get bothered, someone looks in their rear view mirror and sees a huge grill.

Frozen Sooner
7/18/2006, 11:07 PM
Man, what did you tell that guy? I hope you told him just what you said above. Dude was trying to rub your face in it? Geez.

Seriously, man, that's darn near word for word what I told him. I mean, frankly, a $750 policy isn't really worth my time to begin with, but beyond that I was honestly trying to HELP. I wouldn't feel good about myself if I sold someone something for $750 that they could have gotten for $50.

OCUDad
7/18/2006, 11:09 PM
No good deed goes unpunished. Ain't you learned that by now?