PDA

View Full Version : Hooters Chairman has fried his last hot wing

Okla-homey
7/17/2006, 12:35 PM
RIP Bob Brooks

Hooters Chairman Brooks Found Dead
Jul 16 10:20 PM US/Eastern

MYRTLE BEACH, S.C.-- Robert Brooks, the chairman of Hooters of America Inc. who made a fortune selling chicken wings served by scantily clad waitresses, was found dead at his home Sunday, officials said. He was 69

It was unclear how Brooks died. The Horry County (for the record, that's pronounced "orry" county -- not the way it looks) coroner's office told The (Myrtle Beach) Sun News that an autopsy would be performed Monday.

Several calls to the coroner's office by The Associated Press went unanswered.

Since opening its first store in Clearwater, Fla., in 1983, the chain has expanded across the U.S. and into more than a dozen countries ranging from Taiwan to Venezuela. Hooters has about 61 million annual visitors to its some 425 restaurants.

Brooks, born on a tobacco farm outside Loris near Myrtle Beach, founded Eastern Foods Inc., which makes dressings and sauces, in 1966.

With a group of Atlanta investors, Brooks bought expansion and franchise rights for the Hooters chain in 1984. He eventually bought majority control and became chairman.

Local leaders remembered Brooks as a sharp businessman with a down- home flair who never forgot where he came from.

"Whenever I saw him, the first question and usually the last question from him was, 'What can I do to help ya?'" said Brad Dean, president of the Myrtle Beach Area Chamber of Commerce.

He also shared his wealth, giving $2 million to Coastal Carolina University for its first football stadium, which was named Brooks Stadium in 2003. Frankly, I think they should have called it the Hooterdome, but that's just me.

Okla-homey
7/17/2006, 12:44 PM
What? No comments about Hooters at half-mast?

Hatfield
7/17/2006, 01:00 PM
you see how old he was when he died?

GDC
7/18/2006, 12:47 PM
I heard a hilarious rumor today, all the Tahlequah hillbillies are so excited about the new Chili's in town, the word is a Hooter's is next.

oumartin
7/18/2006, 12:50 PM
the hooters is going in Cookson.

GDC
7/18/2006, 12:53 PM
the hooters is going in Cookson.

I was thinking Tailholt, or Terasita.

Mjcpr
7/18/2006, 12:59 PM
gdc....you ever eat at a tiny little restaurant somewhere between Fin and Feather and..........I dunno, Keys? It's waaaay back in the sticks just by itself off a dirt road.

I know that description sucks, but....

Mjcpr
7/18/2006, 01:44 PM
gdc....you ever eat at a tiny little restaurant somewhere between Fin and Feather and..........I dunno, Keys? It's waaaay back in the sticks just by itself off a dirt road.

I know that description sucks, but....

It's off of Indian Road and is supposedly where "Where The Red Fern Grows" was filmed.

StoopTroup
7/18/2006, 07:52 PM
I think the Cotton Bowl should be changed to the Hooter-Dome if they ever pony up enough dOUgh to dome it.

reevie
7/18/2006, 08:00 PM
I don't know about you Homey, but the guys in my office were planning our own World Wide Wing Commander memorial. One suggestion was to go for lunch on Thursday when the girls wear all black, the other on Friday. Then it became, why not Thursday and Friday?!? Which then lead to what about Wednesday? Which of course lead to what about today? A small price to pay to honor a great American!

GDC
7/20/2006, 12:55 PM
It's off of Indian Road and is supposedly where "Where The Red Fern Grows" was filmed.

Yes, that's the Qualls store, very good food, especially breakfast. It was the grandpa's general store in the movie.

Mjcpr
7/20/2006, 01:09 PM
Yes, that's the Qualls store, very good food, especially breakfast. It was the grandpa's general store in the movie.

Thanks for the info. We went to check it out a couple of weeks ago but they had already closed by the time we got there.

I'll report back some day. :)

GDC
7/20/2006, 01:39 PM
Thanks for the info. We went to check it out a couple of weeks ago but they had already closed by the time we got there.

I'll report back some day. :)

I honestly don't know if they are open weekdays, I've only been on weekends, and when they run out of food they shut down for the day. It's good home-cooking, and the pies, cakes, and cobblers are incredible.

Mjcpr
7/20/2006, 01:55 PM
It'll be a weekend...that's the only time we're there. We showed up around 8:30 last time and they were closing down.