PDA

View Full Version : Coaches on hot seat for this year? (all conferences)

mrowl
7/17/2006, 09:35 AM
1. Larry Coker, Miami

2. Phillip Fulmer, Tennessee

3. Fran, aTm

4. Houston Nutt, Arkansas

GDC
7/17/2006, 10:21 AM
http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73148

mrowl
7/17/2006, 10:22 AM
http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73148

not just big 12... :rolleyes:

Octavian
7/17/2006, 12:40 PM
1. Larry Coker, Miami

2. Phillip Fulmer, Tennessee

agreed.....I'd also add Lloyd Carr to the "coaches who've won a NC but need to have a great '06" list.

Fran may not make it to Halloween.

jackietreehorn
7/17/2006, 01:01 PM
what about tyrone? 2-9 at washington last year.

AllAboutThe'O'
7/17/2006, 06:45 PM
what about tyrone? 2-9 at washington last year.
I think Tyrone gets a pass this season but if he doesn't produce in his third season, well, he didn't last three full seasons at Notre Dame, did he?

My choices for coaches on the hot seat:

1. Houston Nutt, Arkansas - Will the high school wunderkind offensive coordinator who hasn't coached a lick of college football be able to save Nutt's bacon?

2. Larry Coker, Miami - Coker the latest example of the George Seifert Principle; winning it all your first year with someone else's best players only to see it go downhill after that.

3. Phil Fulmer, Tennessee - Doubtful the Vols record a second straight losing season, but Vols need to remain competitive in SEC Eastern division.

4. John L. Smith, Michigan State - Hasn't closed the deal against in-state rival UM the last two years, but also must make sure he and his assistants stay on the same page (remember the Ohio State fiasco last year?).

5. Rich Brooks, Kentucky - I'm still scratching my head as to why Kentucky hired this guy, who hit his peak a decade ago.

6. Dirk Koetter, Arizona State - Needs a big season as his reputation is clearly slipping. A big year from in-state rival Arizona won't help his cause, either.

7. Bill Doba, Washington State - Did well with Mike Price's players his first two seasons, but Doba has yet to prove he can win consistently with his players.

8. Sylvester Croom, Mississippi State - This is year three of the big experiment as to whether an African-American can make it as a head coach in the SEC. In all fairness, the cupboard was pretty bare when Croom took over but needs to show significant progress this year.

9. Tommy Bowden, Clemson - I think this year might be his best, and possibly last chance, to show the greatness that was expected from the Tigers when he took over. Arguably the most up-and-down team in college football the last few years.

10. Chuck Amato, N.C. State/Chan Gailey, Georgia Tech/Al Groh, Virginia - Don't be surprised to see at least one of these ACC coaches get canned after the year. All three teams have been talented, but each have been maddingly inconsistent as well.

soonercody
7/17/2006, 07:23 PM
New dood at Boise State. Loaded, soft schedule, and high expectations at a perennial overachieving school.

westcoast_sooner
7/17/2006, 09:18 PM
I think Tyrone gets a pass this season but if he doesn't produce in his third season, well, he didn't last three full seasons at Notre Dame, did he?

5. Rich Brooks, Kentucky - I'm still scratching my head as to why Kentucky hired this guy, who hit his peak a decade ago.

The guy was dealt a tough hand when he got there. He followed Guy Morriss who was supposed to try and turn things around. Morriss only stayed a season before bolting for Baylor. Brooks inherited a mess that Hal Mummy made after Morriss left - complete with scholarship limits. For awhile, I thought Brooks would start to pull things together for the Cats. But I am less optimistic after last year. The ONLY reason I even pay attention to a UK (read perenially BAD) football team is because my wife went to school there. IMO, he's got to have the season of his life or he's gone before Midnight Madness.