PDA

View Full Version : My family is hooked!!!

Mrs. Norm
7/16/2006, 11:52 PM
We are totally hooked on Super Mario Brothers. Norm and I are in heavy competition. I will get a high score, and then he will beat my score. We go back and forth. The boy is getting pretty good at it (he hasn't played much video games). We probably played the dang thing a total of 6 hours today. We better break this habit before school starts! :O

Beano's Fourth Chin
7/17/2006, 12:10 AM
Umm... welcome to 1986?

I hope Boz and Jamelle can carry the Sooners to another title. I don't think Miami can beat us again.

Mrs. Norm
7/17/2006, 12:23 AM
Shoot, Beano. I'm just hoping that Platoon wins Best Picture this year. *Cross your fingers*

Partial Qualifier
7/17/2006, 08:29 AM
Hang on, how old is your son? If he's between 6 and 15 he oughtta rolling y'alls scores ;)

Norm In Norman
7/17/2006, 08:51 AM
The boy is sort of a perfectionist, so he gets frustrated easily, so he's never been to good with video games. In fact, we've sort of used this to make him understand that he can have fun without "winning" every time. Now he keeps trying until he gets better. Who would have thought we could teach him something by making him play video games?

And I kicked Mrs Norm's *** last night. Did I mention that I never had an NES? She has way more hours in (lifetime) on this game than me.

Partial Qualifier
7/17/2006, 08:56 AM
make him understand that he can have fun without "winning" every time. Now he keeps trying until he gets better. Who would have thought we could teach him something by making him play video games?

That's awesome, especially the "keeps trying until he gets better" part. A little competitiveness, as long as it's fun, can do wonders for the ultra-perfectionist.

IB4OU2
7/17/2006, 09:05 AM
The boy is sort of a perfectionist, so he gets frustrated easily, so he's never been to good with video games. In fact, we've sort of used this to make him understand that he can have fun without "winning" every time. Now he keeps trying until he gets better. Who would have thought we could teach him something by making him play video games?

And I kicked Mrs Norm's *** last night. Did I mention that I never had an NES? She has way more hours in (lifetime) on this game than me.

Does the boy ever get to play with his new birthday present? ;) That reminds me of the time I got my daughter a new playstation 2 and she could'nt get me off of it for weeks.......Brothers in Arms Rocks!

Norm In Norman
7/17/2006, 09:14 AM
That's awesome, especially the "keeps trying until he gets better" part. A little competitiveness, as long as it's fun, can do wonders for the ultra-perfectionist.
School really did quite a bit towards helping this. He still gets frustrated though. We're working on riding the bike now. Boy, that's been fun. Dean inspired me to force him to learn. He rides it now, but he hasn't learned the finer points of riding a bike. You know, like turning. He turns, crashes, then complains that it's too hard. The big problem is he's decided since he didn't do it right the first time that it's impossible for him to do. The weird thing is he got the perfectionist thing from me, except that nobody ever taught me to ride a bike. I just learned it myself. I think I grew into being that way. Hopefully he will grow out of it.

Norm In Norman
7/17/2006, 09:15 AM
Does the boy ever get to play with his new birthday present? ;) That reminds me of the time I got my daughter a new playstation 2 and she could'nt get me off of it for weeks.......Brothers in Arms Rocks!
I'll probably spend a couple of minutes on it when he gets it (he doesn't get it until the 28th). I'm sure I'll be the one buying all the cool games for it.

Partial Qualifier
7/17/2006, 11:41 AM
School really did quite a bit towards helping this. He still gets frustrated though. We're working on riding the bike now. Boy, that's been fun. Dean inspired me to force him to learn. He rides it now, but he hasn't learned the finer points of riding a bike. You know, like turning. He turns, crashes, then complains that it's too hard. The big problem is he's decided since he didn't do it right the first time that it's impossible for him to do. The weird thing is he got the perfectionist thing from me, except that nobody ever taught me to ride a bike. I just learned it myself. I think I grew into being that way. Hopefully he will grow out of it.

Well whatever it takes to get his confidence level up.. it jsut struck me as cool because I went through phases like that as a kid.. it's not so much a fear of failure, more of a frustration with not being great at something right off the bat, and the work involved with getting better. It sounds silly but video games helped me with that. Think of it as "concentration practice" :)

GottaHavePride
7/17/2006, 11:59 AM
http://www.discover.com/issues/jul-05/features/brain-on-video-games/

The mental benefits of video games - from Discover magazine.

Okla-homey
7/17/2006, 11:59 AM

Within limits of course. My cousin James fried his brain in pursuit of the perfect high. For the record, it cannot be found inhaling the fumes from a can of silver spray paint.;)

mdklatt
7/17/2006, 12:04 PM
The Grand Theft Auto series provides loads of family fun.

colleyvillesooner
7/17/2006, 12:07 PM
Ironically, I busted out the old NES and fired it up this weekend. I totally beat the game. Girlfriend was watching saying "How do you still remember where all that hidden crap is!" :D

achiro
7/17/2006, 12:09 PM
We probably played the dang thing a total of 6 hours today.
You need to get outside and mow the dang lawn or something!:D

Vaevictis
7/17/2006, 12:12 PM
http://www.nintendo.com/zeldaclassic/

This release made me happy beyond compare. I had been waiting for a Zelda re-release for well over a decade.

Ended up buying the Gameboy Gamecube adapter just to play Zelda III and all the old Mario games too. Oh, happy days.

Jimminy Crimson
7/17/2006, 12:13 PM
Ironically, I busted out the old NES and fired it up this weekend. I totally beat the game. Girlfriend was watching saying "How do you still remember where all that hidden crap is!" :D

Yeah right. Like you have a g/f! ;)

OUDoc
7/17/2006, 12:31 PM
Ironically, I busted out the old NES and fired it up this weekend. I totally beat the game. Girlfriend was watching saying "I can't believe I'm still with this geek." :D
I'm sure she did. ;)

NormanPride
7/17/2006, 01:09 PM
The new Mario Brothers for the Nintendo DS is awesome.

Norm In Norman
7/17/2006, 01:11 PM
I heard that. On some game site, it was the top rated DS game. The review I saw said it's almost the same as the original except 3-d looking characters. Same 2d gameplay though. Would you agree?

NormanPride
7/17/2006, 01:17 PM
Absolutely. They added a few things, but they really just make the game better. A wall-jump, a stomp move that breaks blocks below you, and two mushrooms that make you super-big and super-small. It's really like they too aspects from all the other Mario games and combined them. The multiplayer stuff is fun, too, for things like plane rides or long car trips.

Norm In Norman
7/22/2006, 11:48 PM
Ok, i bought the DS lite and new super mario brothers today. Boy he's gonna love it. I actually took it out to see if I needed to charge it and it's frickin' cool. I went ahead and set the date and put his name and stuff in it. It seems charged, but I'm going to charge it beforehand just in case.

Now i just need to find some way to have money during football season.