PDA

View Full Version : Are the ESPY's still around?

Penguin
7/16/2006, 12:41 PM
OK, I'll admit they were cool for the first couple of years, but do we really need to give awards every year for "The Dopest Jam" and the "Best Touchdown Celebration"?

Give it a rest, ESPN. We get it. You're cool! You're tight! Now, stop trying to be something you're not.

I remember a time when ESPN used to show sports.

bri
7/16/2006, 12:42 PM
Strangely enough, they're on tonight.

I'm gonna watch, but only because you know they'll be doing something with that McElwain kid, and that d00d pwnz.

mdklatt
7/16/2006, 12:44 PM

And MTV was about music, and you could see actual news on HNN (or CNN for that matter). Sigh.

tulsaoilerfan
7/16/2006, 03:29 PM
OK, I'll admit they were cool for the first couple of years, but do we really need to give awards every year for "The Dopest Jam" and the "Best Touchdown Celebration"?

Give it a rest, ESPN. We get it. You're cool! You're tight! Now, stop trying to be something you're not.

it still does, but only if you consider Poker a sport

AllAboutThe'O'
7/16/2006, 07:23 PM

I'm with you, Penguin. The first ESPYs telecast had Jim Valvano's moving "Don't Ever Give Up" speech. Nothing else could top that, with the possible exception of 2002 when they honored the men (former athletes) who stood up to the terrorists aboard Flight 93 back on 9/11.

And how can it be an awards show when you already know who's going to win the biggies:

SPOILER ALERT (scroll down if you want to read any further):

Steelers were named the best team and Tyrone Prothro got the best play award (Alabama receiver who made the incredible catch over the Southern Miss defender for a touchdown).

picasso
7/17/2006, 10:01 AM
oh my Armstrong was hilarious! his digging of Broke Back boy was classic. I gotta say it was funnier than the year SNL hosted and Harey Carey (Ferrel) was calling out folks in the audience.:D :D :D

Herr Scholz
7/17/2006, 10:04 AM
Personally, I enjoyed it. ;) VY took home best championship performance, UT football won best game and Cat Osterman won best college female athlete again. Austin can also claim Lance Armstrong as male athlete of the year.

Gandalf_The_Grey
7/17/2006, 10:10 AM
And he thanked the paid off Matt Leinart!

Herr Scholz
7/17/2006, 10:11 AM
And he thanked the paid off Matt Leinart!
They're pals apparently.

picasso
7/17/2006, 10:13 AM
when he said he told ESPN he'd give his left nut to host! haha.

it was kind of a circle jerk fest type thing though. Bongo Boy glorifying that NO high school team was extremely cheesey. They inspired the entire gulf coast? yeah right.:rolleyes:
most of it was just overpaid athletes patting themselves on the back and such.

Gandalf_The_Grey
7/17/2006, 10:15 AM
More than pals..according the Vince..they are teammates!

Herr Scholz
7/17/2006, 10:20 AM
More than pals..according the Vince..they are teammates!
Yeah, I caught that slip of the tongue. He was just trying to be nice to Bush and Leinart.

Gandalf_The_Grey
7/17/2006, 10:23 AM
You seem awfully defensive about little Vince

Herr Scholz
7/17/2006, 10:26 AM
You seem awfully defensive about little Vince
Little Vince? LOL. :D

picasso
7/17/2006, 10:26 AM
c'mon man, Scholz knows what he was thinking and wanting to esspresss.

Herr Scholz
7/17/2006, 10:28 AM
c'mon man, Scholz knows what he was thinking and wanting to esspresss.
That he wanted to be on the losing side of the Rose Bowl?

Gandalf_The_Grey
7/17/2006, 10:29 AM
Little as in his comprehension ability ;)

picasso
7/17/2006, 10:35 AM
That he wanted to be on the losing side of the Rose Bowl?
no, that he was just being nice to Bush and Leinfart. Maybe he really hates them and wants to kill their pets.

Scott D
7/17/2006, 10:36 AM
best part of the ESPY's was that part where the trademark came up at the end of the closing credits.

second was the attempt by Danica Patrick to shake her backside.

Beano's Fourth Chin
7/17/2006, 10:38 AM
I couldn't even watch it back in 2001 after OU won the title. I'm way ahead of the curve on hating things.

picasso
7/17/2006, 11:06 AM
best part of the ESPY's was that part where the trademark came up at the end of the closing credits.

what is it with the rappers and big booty videos? it always seems like it's a pool party or something (the brothers I know don't swim).
Whatever happened to creative music video making?

OUDoc
7/17/2006, 11:17 AM
I've never seen one. I'll never see one (big booty video or the ESPY's).

Gandalf_The_Grey
7/17/2006, 11:19 AM
What if they manage to bring Bud Wilkinson back from the grave and he is going to speak at the ESPY's? You tell me you would miss that :)

Beano's Fourth Chin
7/17/2006, 11:42 AM
What if they manage to bring Bud Wilkinson back from the grave and he is going to speak at the ESPY's? You tell me you would miss that :)

They would intro his speech with Stuart Scott rapping about something or other and I would throw something at the TV.

I'll just wait for Norm to edit out the commercials and Stuart and burn it to DVD for me.

TheHumanAlphabet
7/17/2006, 12:00 PM
that McElwain kid, and that d00d pwnz.

Who? A waste of electrons to transmit...

picasso
7/17/2006, 12:07 PM
Who? A waste of electrons to transmit...
the autistic kid who hit 6-3 pointers in his high school farewell. and then watched Wopner.

TheHumanAlphabet
7/17/2006, 12:13 PM
That was cool, but isn't youtube a better place.

ESPY's a big who cares, except to see athletic women in clothes we don't normally see them in...

Penguin
7/17/2006, 12:21 PM
the autistic kid who hit 6-3 pointers in his high school farewell. and then watched Wopner.

Ah, another one of those "human interest" yawners they probably feature every year. Typical awards show ****.

Scott D
7/17/2006, 02:25 PM
what is it with the rappers and big booty videos? it always seems like it's a pool party or something (the brothers I know don't swim).
Whatever happened to creative music video making?

it's what the RIAA wants...it sells ;)

a video like 'The Message' by Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five wouldn't get any airplay today.

SoonerInKCMO
7/17/2006, 02:58 PM

Is that because it was a) sexy; or b) it was so horribly inept and unrhytmic that you wept from laughter?

I haven't seen Danica try to dance but I'm guessing 'b'. :D

colleyvillesooner
7/17/2006, 02:59 PM
Psst. No one cares right now. ;)

Scott D
7/17/2006, 03:22 PM
Is that because it was a) sexy; or b) it was so horribly inept and unrhytmic that you wept from laughter?

I haven't seen Danica try to dance but I'm guessing 'b'. :D

b wasn't half bad...a was not bad at all. But it was definitely better than the fellating of Texas and Lance that went on most of the night.