PDA

View Full Version : So hey, Bri...

Frozen Sooner
7/16/2006, 12:07 AM
I just got done watching the entire run of Firefly including finishing up with Serenity.

Seriously, how the hell is this not still on TV?

Oh, yeah. 'Cause dumbasses like me waited until it was off the air for a few years before watching it.

SoonerAtKU
7/16/2006, 12:27 AM
Seeing the pre-screening for Serenity was unlike any other movie I've been to. I thought the Star Wars and Harry Potter folks were obsessed...until I saw the Browncoats.

Seeing the show, I definitely see how it both failed and succeeded at the same time. It's so very niche-perfect, but just strange enough to alienate people.

bri
7/16/2006, 12:41 PM
I loathe the Browncoats with a passion. They are the absolute worst fanbase ever. Unlike Trekkers or Star Wars fans, the majority of the self-proclaimed "Browncoats" all professed to hate Joss Whedon. That's like devoting yourself to Star Trek, but thinking Gene Roddenberry was a no-talent hack.

I loved Serenity, and while I was just as shocked at some of the events (and you know what I'm talking about), I understood the choices. Unlike the Browncoats, I am a Joss fan; I watch everything he does and I understand that above all else, Joss makes you pay. When you go to war, someone has to die; it's not always happy endings and puppies. To hear the Browncoats wail and gnash their teeth after the release of the movie, saying that they were going to do everything in their power to make it fail and to try and end Joss' career, well, it was the most stupidly hateful thing I've ever seen.

mdklatt
7/16/2006, 12:46 PM
Unlike Trekkers or Star Wars fans, the majority of the self-proclaimed "Browncoats" all professed to hate Joss Whedon.

Dorks are funny.

SoonerAtKU
7/16/2006, 01:11 PM
I think the difference is the level of "ownership" that the Browncoats feel for the franchise. Part of that has to do with the pride of being so dedicated that they helped a failed TV show get made into a moderately big-budget movie. Now they feel like it is theirs to control, not realizing that it was Joss' choices that made the show so great to begin with.

And yes, that makes most of them *********s.

Frozen Sooner
7/16/2006, 01:28 PM
I loathe the Browncoats with a passion. They are the absolute worst fanbase ever. Unlike Trekkers or Star Wars fans, the majority of the self-proclaimed "Browncoats" all professed to hate Joss Whedon. That's like devoting yourself to Star Trek, but thinking Gene Roddenberry was a no-talent hack.

I loved Serenity, and while I was just as shocked at some of the events (and you know what I'm talking about), I understood the choices. Unlike the Browncoats, I am a Joss fan; I watch everything he does and I understand that above all else, Joss makes you pay. When you go to war, someone has to die; it's not always happy endings and puppies. To hear the Browncoats wail and gnash their teeth after the release of the movie, saying that they were going to do everything in their power to make it fail and to try and end Joss' career, well, it was the most stupidly hateful thing I've ever seen.

Which is just silly. Joss knew it was the end of the line for Firefly, so he wrote an ending.

I think the dorkcoats are just mad that there's no way to bring the show back with the events in the movie.

Anyhow, I enjoyed the hell out of the show. Sorry it can't continue, but that's the way things are. Wish I'd figured this out sooner. :(

bri
7/16/2006, 02:27 PM
Actually, Joss was intending Serenity to be the start of a Firefly film franchise, ala Star Trek. That's why it was so important for the fanbase to grow, to convince Universal to green-light sequels. And yes, those sequels were going to take place without Wash and Book; that goes back to the Browncoats being ignorant of Joss' storytelling style. Serenity is what Joss had intended the last half of Season 1 and most of Season 2 to be. These nimrods just don't understand that Joss kills characters. And not red-shirts, he kills characters that you love, that you've invested emotion into, so that it's not a pointless gesture. If the show had continued, the events of the movie would have gone down exactly the same way.

Frozen Sooner
7/16/2006, 03:34 PM
No kidding? Well, then.

I still thought it was a good story. And I have no problem with killing Wash and Book, though it would have been nice to figure out exactly who the hell Book was and why he knew all that. My guess is that he was a former Alliance operative.

bri
7/16/2006, 06:12 PM
Heh, I think we'll get the full "Ripper" Giles backstory before we find out Book's shady past. ;)

Sooner_Bob
7/16/2006, 07:54 PM
I just got done watching the entire run of Firefly including finishing up with Serenity.

Seriously, how the hell is this not still on TV?

Oh, yeah. 'Cause dumbasses like me waited until it was off the air for a few years before watching it.

I did that about a month ago and have that exact same question.

That show was gold.

Sooner_Bob
7/16/2006, 07:57 PM
No kidding? Well, then.

I still thought it was a good story. And I have no problem with killing Wash and Book, though it would have been nice to figure out exactly who the hell Book was and why he knew all that. My guess is that he was a former Alliance operative.

Very, very true . . .

Even after watching Serenity I still think he could make another flick and it be just as good of a story.

bri
7/16/2006, 08:32 PM
Of course he could; that was the idea. As long as you've got Mal, you've got enough for another flick.

Too bad the very people he was counting out to help make that happen were little f*ckin' bitches. :mad:

Sooner_Bob
7/16/2006, 10:36 PM
He's got you, me and Froze . . . who else does he need?

:D

Sooner_Bob
7/16/2006, 10:37 PM
And just for the record, I've got the theme song stuck in my head again.

Take my love, take my land
Take me where I cannot stand
I don't care, I'm still free
You can't take the sky from me
Take me out to the black
Tell them I ain't comin' back
Burn the land and boil the sea
You can't take the sky from me
There's no place I can be
Since I found Serenity
But you can't take the sky from me...

OU4LIFE
7/17/2006, 05:51 AM
I was a firefly watcher, back when it was actually ON THE TV.

they killed this AND Angel....and Angel was even better IMO.

Vaevictis
7/17/2006, 06:18 AM

Not exactly.

The show had craptastic support from Fox. The series was aired out of order, was pre-empted twice (once for one week, once for two), was aired on Friday nights (ever hear of the "Friday Night Death Slot?"), and while I can't support this myself, many people who watched it report that it changed timeslots multiple times during the run. All this in a span of like 15 weeks.

Even if you had started watching it when it was on the air, you often would have tuned in to find you were an hour late or an hour early, or that it had been pre-empted. There's only so much of that an audience will take.

Vaevictis
7/17/2006, 06:18 AM

Gah, and some of the crap they have on now! Angel was better than half of the WB's current lineup. One Tree Hill? Smallville? Beauty and the Geek?! Reba?! Living with Fran!?

What a bunch of !@#%$&^$%^#$%^$# assclowns.

Sooner_Bob
7/17/2006, 04:59 PM
Heeeeeeyyy . . . you leave Reba out of this.

And Hairy is gonna git you for knockin' Smallville.

Sooner_Bob
7/17/2006, 05:03 PM
I was a firefly watcher, back when it was actually ON THE TV.

I really wish Sci-Fi would latch on to series like Firefly and freakin' run with them like they have Battle Star Gallactica . . . who really wants to watch rerun after rerun of really old stuff.

What Sci-Fi has done with Stargate SG-1, Stargate Atlantis and BSG is what has made me a fan of the channel once again. I really think they could mold Firefly into something special if given the chance.

birddog
1/18/2008, 11:48 PM
i just watched serenity for the first time tonight. i really, really liked it. was it in theaters?

i've never even heard of firefly, much less seen any of the series.

i'll have to check it out.

Frozen Sooner
1/18/2008, 11:54 PM
i just watched serenity for the first time tonight. i really, really liked it. was it in theaters?

Yes.

royalfan5
1/19/2008, 01:01 AM
I keep forgetting to buy these. Once I finish up Veronica Mars and Weeds, I will have to watch them again.

bri
1/19/2008, 04:53 AM
Joss is continuing both Buffy and Angel in comic book form. I really need to get myself to a nerdery and pick up the Buffy Season 8 collection as well as start reading Angel: After The Fall...

OU4LIFE
1/22/2008, 09:55 AM
I miss Charisma Carpenter.

She always made my pants fit better.

yermom
1/22/2008, 10:54 AM
i couldn't really stand Buffy and Angel and the dorks that watched them. so i didn't really give a crap that he was coming out with some new show

i was wrong.

Firefly was awesome. i need to watch it again. when i got to the last few episodes i was so ****ed that there weren't any more. FOX sucks.

Sooner_Bob
1/22/2008, 11:30 AM
I miss Charisma Carpenter.

She always made my pants fit better.

Heh . . .

NormanPride
1/22/2008, 11:55 AM
Fox has always sucked. How many excellent, intelligent shows have they cancelled just as things got good? It's like they love watching their viewership cry.

bri
1/22/2008, 12:39 PM
And yet they let X-Files go about two seasons too long. :mad:

Sooner_Bob
1/22/2008, 01:50 PM
And yet they let American Idol go about two seasons too long. :mad:

:P

crawfish
1/22/2008, 01:52 PM
A friend loaned me the entire 5-year run of Babylon 5 on DVD. I'm about halfway through the last season now. My question is, how did they let something so unbelievably cool stay on TV so long? That shocks me more than canceling Firefly.

Sooner_Bob
1/22/2008, 02:00 PM
A friend loaned me the entire 5-year run of Babylon 5 on DVD. I'm about halfway through the last season now. My question is, how did they let something so unbelievably cool stay on TV so long? That shocks me more than canceling Firefly.

I've got those on disc as well . . . I guess I need to make time to watch them.

royalfan5
1/22/2008, 02:01 PM
probably because it was syndicated.

OU4LIFE
1/22/2008, 02:12 PM
Charisma Carpenter people...that's the REAL point of this whole thread.

royalfan5
1/22/2008, 02:15 PM
You should check out Veronica Mars then too.

Frozen Sooner
1/22/2008, 02:16 PM

Jewel Staite!

crawfish
1/22/2008, 02:39 PM
Jewel Staite!

I should add that Summer Glau is the ONLY reason I'm watching the new Terminator series. :D

crawfish
1/22/2008, 02:43 PM
I've got those on disc as well . . . I guess I need to make time to watch them.

Definitely. It's a five-year cycle. Characters are allowed to be complex; they change over the course of the series. There is an overarching plot, much like Lost; sometimes the beginnings and endings of episodes are left open. Some threads left open in the early season aren't addressed until years later.

When I watched it on TV, I was turned off by the cheesy costumes and effects. But the show has so much depth, it doesn't matter after a while.