PDA

View Full Version : It's always nice to catch up with former students...

Soonrboy
7/15/2006, 09:01 PM
This one was in my class..drew a picture of me getting stabbed in the throat. When I referred her to the counselor, the counselor told me that sometimes a picture is sometimes just a picture.

Yeah, and sometimes a messed up little girl grows up to be a messed up teenager.

http://newsok.com/article/2680894

Police arrested a 16-year-old girl and her boyfriend on first-degree murder complaints after the body of the girl's mother was found Friday.
The body's discovery also ended a monthlong missing person case.

Oklahoma City police accuse Jordan Kemp, 16, and her boyfriend, Jason Bales, 23, of killing Stepheny Glass, 36. Kemp had told police her mother was last seen June 11, Sgt. Paco Balderrama said.

But the investigation took a turn Friday afternoon when police found Glass' body in a shallow grave near the 1500 block of S Western Avenue, Balderrama said.

"Oklahoma City homicide detectives made contact and gathered sufficient information to make a probable cause arrest in the murder of Stepheny Glass," he said.

Shortly after Glass was reported missing, police sent a missing person report to the media asking for the public's help to find her.

But a close friend of Glass, Tama Kittel, said she called police detectives because something didn't make sense.

"Jordan began telling me that her mother loved her boyfriend," Kittel said.

Being a close friend, Kittel said she knew better. Kemp and Bales wanted to marry, but Glass would have nothing of it, Kittel said.

"Jason wasn't allowed to hang out with Jordan," she said.

Police did not say how Glass was killed. No other details about the case were available.

Kemp and Bales are being held in the Oklahoma County jail in lieu of bail

MiccoMacey
7/15/2006, 09:14 PM
Where do you teach?

I taught at Moore HS back in 2002.

Soonrboy
7/15/2006, 09:17 PM
I taught southside OKC for 10 years, now a principal for the district.

MiccoMacey
7/16/2006, 12:11 AM
I taught six years total before becoming a firefighter.

Elementary, Junior High/Middle School, and High School.

VeeJay
7/16/2006, 01:18 AM
At home
Drawing pictures
Of mountain tops
With him on top
Lemon yellow sun
Arms raised in a V
Dead lay in pools of maroon below

Mrs. Norm
7/16/2006, 09:43 AM
Yesterday, me and the other 6th grade teacher had a picnic for our class from this past year. While there, I was looking and listening to some of them. It's sad to say, but I know at least one of them will end up in jail. Hopefully the rest of them will make it.

LoyalFan
7/16/2006, 10:13 AM
Yesterday, me and the other 6th grade teacher had a picnic for our class from this past year. While there, I was looking and listening to some of them. It's sad to say, but I know at least one of them will end up in jail. Hopefully the rest of them will make it.

I'm going to catch Hades for this, but it's well-intentioned.

Corrected as follows-Yesterday, another 6th Grade teacher and I had a...Would you say "Me had a picnic for..."?
Ditto -While there, I was looking AT...or were you just looking off into space as you listened?

When our educators commit such grammatical errors it makes me wonder if the various teachers' unions, at all levels, are interested in high standards or just more money. The Dumbing of America continues apace.

Off to seek shelter.

LF

Mrs. Norm
7/16/2006, 10:40 AM

Corrected as follows-Yesterday, another 6th Grade teacher and I had a...Would you say "Me had a picnic for..."?
Ditto -While there, I was looking AT...or were you just looking off into space as you listened?

When our educators commit such grammatical errors it makes me wonder if the various teachers' unions, at all levels, are interested in high standards or just more money. The Dumbing of America continues apace.

Off to seek shelter.

LF

Thank you so very much for the corrections above. However, while on a message board, most people aren't writing a report NOR teaching children a grammar lesson. Your statement about teacher unions and high standards is not necessary....I'm a teacher typing on a MESSAGE BOARD!! Come and watch me teach in my CLASSROOM and then let me know if I'm "Dumbing America". :rolleyes:

Mrs. Norm
7/16/2006, 10:46 AM
This one was in my class..drew a picture of me getting stabbed in the throat. When I referred her to the counselor, the counselor told me that sometimes a picture is sometimes just a picture.

Yeah, and sometimes a messed up little girl grows up to be a messed up teenager.

http://newsok.com/article/2680894

Police arrested a 16-year-old girl and her boyfriend on first-degree murder complaints after the body of the girl's mother was found Friday.
The body's discovery also ended a monthlong missing person case.

Oklahoma City police accuse Jordan Kemp, 16, and her boyfriend, Jason Bales, 23, of killing Stepheny Glass, 36. Kemp had told police her mother was last seen June 11, Sgt. Paco Balderrama said.

But the investigation took a turn Friday afternoon when police found Glass' body in a shallow grave near the 1500 block of S Western Avenue, Balderrama said.

"Oklahoma City homicide detectives made contact and gathered sufficient information to make a probable cause arrest in the murder of Stepheny Glass," he said.

Shortly after Glass was reported missing, police sent a missing person report to the media asking for the public's help to find her.

But a close friend of Glass, Tama Kittel, said she called police detectives because something didn't make sense.

"Jordan began telling me that her mother loved her boyfriend," Kittel said.

Being a close friend, Kittel said she knew better. Kemp and Bales wanted to marry, but Glass would have nothing of it, Kittel said.

"Jason wasn't allowed to hang out with Jordan," she said.

Police did not say how Glass was killed. No other details about the case were available.

Kemp and Bales are being held in the Oklahoma County jail in lieu of bail

Did you always have the sense that she was capable of doing something like this? I had a student this past year that gave me that feeling, but I thought I was being pessimistic. Sometimes, you just know, I guess.

Soonrboy
7/16/2006, 11:22 AM
She was an oddball. Never met mom, she was one who never could make it to a meeting or have time to return a phone call. Yeah, I have had a few that are going to be residing behind bars.

Jerk
7/16/2006, 11:36 AM
It's not always doom and gloom.

Look at me. I was a psychotic little brat, yet I turned out alright.

Mjcpr
7/16/2006, 11:38 AM
It's not always doom and gloom.

Look at me. I was a psychotic little brat, yet I turned out alright.

Give it some time.

:D

Jerk
7/16/2006, 11:39 AM
heh!

LoyalFan
7/16/2006, 11:50 AM
Thank you so very much for the corrections above. However, while on a message board, most people aren't writing a report NOR teaching children a grammar lesson. Your statement about teacher unions and high standards is not necessary....I'm a teacher typing on a MESSAGE BOARD!! Come and watch me teach in my CLASSROOM and then let me know if I'm "Dumbing America". :rolleyes:

Mrs. N.,

I assure you that I intended no insult. Still, as the twig is bent so grows the tree.
I have no reason to question your overall performance in the classroom, and would not presume to so do. But, that being said, we owe it to ourselves to preserve and protect this cherished language that we all-too-often must "Press One" to employ.
My degree is in Music Education, with a minor in Trumpet. While I've never chosen to teach as a profession I have spent much time in the public schools as a volunteer. My roles have included teaching private lessons at no charge, running brass sectionals, and serving as a substitute band director. I have also served as a "sub" in history courses.
In the course of these endeavors, I have encountered all-too-many administrators, coaches, and academics instructors who mangle the English language. (Come to think of it, I may be misusing the hyphens!) The kids DO follow the examples set for them, for better or for worse.
Perhaps most disturbing, besides certain immigrants (See:The Cesspool across the Rio Grande) proudly proclaiming that they won't learn English, is the fact that those who DO, especially the non-Hispanics, learn pure English and generally are more fluent and grammatically correct in the usage thereof than are we. Ergo, I cannot be asking too much in my wish that we who speak English as our native language do so properly, especially when we touch others whose habits and values we help form.
Thanks for all you do for our youth. We need that.

LoyalFan

PS: I admit that I often blunder about in the language maze too, but I try hard not to! LOL!

MiccoMacey
7/16/2006, 11:53 AM
Look at me. I was a psychotic little homey straight out of Compton, yet I turned out a'ight for a gangsta...

I get by with a little help from my friends... :D

MiccoMacey
7/16/2006, 11:58 AM
...I cannot be asking too much in my wish that we who speak English as our native language do so properly, especially when we touch others whose habits and values we help form.

Not trying to jump you, LF, but I disagree. It's a message board. It's not a classroom. Those kids more than likely aren't on this board for her to help form any values, and even if they were, it's a message board. Proper English is not required by anyone. JMHO.

We agree totally on this.

Soonrboy
7/16/2006, 12:01 PM
Mrs. N.,

I assure you that I intended no insult. Still, as the twig is bent so grows the tree.
I have no reason to question your overall performance in the classroom, and would not presume to so do. But, that being said, we owe it to ourselves to preserve and protect this cherished language that we all-too-often must "Press One" to employ.
My degree is in Music Education, with a minor in Trumpet. While I've never chosen to teach as a profession I have spent much time in the public schools as a volunteer. My roles have included teaching private lessons at no charge, running brass sectionals, and serving as a substitute band director. I have also served as a "sub" in history courses.
In the course of these endeavors, I have encountered all-too-many administrators, coaches, and academics instructors who mangle the English language. (Come to think of it, I may be misusing the hyphens!) The kids DO follow the examples set for them, for better or for worse.
Perhaps most disturbing, besides certain immigrants (See:The Cesspool across the Rio Grande) proudly proclaiming that they won't learn English, is the fact that those who DO, especially the non-Hispanics, learn pure English and generally are more fluent and grammatically correct in the usage thereof than are we. Ergo, I cannot be asking too much in my wish that we who speak English as our native language do so properly, especially when we touch others whose habits and values we help form.

LoyalFan

PS: I admit that I often blunder about in the language maze too, but I try hard not to! LOL!

There's a difference between speaking/writing formal language and informal language. Mrs. Norm was speaking on an internet message board, which is informal dialogue. Grammatical rules are not thoroughly followed. Even in your "apology", there is a run on a sentence, or at most a poorly worded sentence.

I can't for the life of me figure out why you would correct this thread and not any other educators' posts. I look forward to more of your corrections. Thank you, LF, for policing a teacher in the summertime while she was conversing with this group. Thank God there are few children who read this board and will learn to speak "pure" English incorrectly.

Mrs. Norm
7/16/2006, 12:04 PM
Not trying to jump you, LF, but I disagree. It's a message board. It's not a classroom. Those kids more than likely aren't on this board for her to help form any values, and even if they were, it's a message board. Proper English is not required by anyone. JMHO.

We agree totally on this.

Thanks, Micco. This was my point! LF, in my classroom, I would not say, for instance, "all of you are RMFO with your papers!" It is a message board. Also, do not assume that I SPEAK the way I type in a message board. They are two totally different situations.

Mrs. Norm
7/16/2006, 12:07 PM
She was an oddball. Never met mom, she was one who never could make it to a meeting or have time to return a phone call. Yeah, I have had a few that are going to be residing behind bars.

I have had a few parents not show up for any conference I've set. The parents I speak of have kids failing every class, getting into fights, being disrespectful, etc. No wonder these students have a snowball's chance in heck to be successful.

jk the sooner fan
7/16/2006, 12:20 PM
if loyal fan was so concerned about Mrs Norm's grammar on an informal message board, rather than humiliate her, how bout a frickin PM

jeezus, we're here to relax......i prepare insurance related letters all the time, and used to write investigative reports......i knew to throw on the "grammar and proper form" switch when i did

i also knew i could not worry about any of that and have my own "posting style" here

MiccoMacey
7/16/2006, 02:41 PM
if loyal fan was so concerned about Mrs Norm's grammar on an informal message board, rather than humiliate her, how bout a frickin PM

jeezus, we're here to relax......i prepare insurance related letters all the time, and used to write investigative reports......i knew to throw on the "grammar and proper form" switch when i did

i also knew i could not worry about any of that and have my own "posting style" here

You need to capitalize all words at the beginning of the sentence, and the letter "I" when it is by itself. Also, some punctuation at the end of the sentence would be nice. :D

achiro
7/16/2006, 03:39 PM
Grammar smack nerds are almost as bad as those that whine about negspek that's not signed.:D

LoyalFan
7/16/2006, 09:21 PM
Wayul, this hyar thredd shur has gone 'n tooken a cullerful turn.
I seen it cummin' r shud have ennyway.

Peace, etc.

AyulEff

MiccoMacey
7/16/2006, 09:29 PM
Wayul, this hyar thredd shur has gone 'n tooken a cullerful turn.
I seen it cummin' r shud have ennyway.

Peace, etc.

AyulEff

You misspelled "shud". It has two d's. :)

Norm In Norman
7/17/2006, 08:38 AM

Off to seek shelter.

LF
Oh my lord. She's posting on a message board, not teaching a class. Let's see here, her first year of teaching she taught 3rd grade. Her school was on probation and had to either raise their grades on the standardised test or it was going to be shut down by the district. 3rd grade is one of the "testing grades", by the way. In other words, it's one of the grades that count. Well guess what? 3rd grade got the highest scores in years. Her class got one of the highest (if not the highest - I can't remember for sure so I won't say for sure) grades in the school. She definitely got the highest grades in the 3rd grade. So her school got taken off probation.

Last year (her second year) she had to teach 6th grade, just the language arts classes. I won't bore you with the details of why she had to change grades, but it's basicaly because certain teachers there weren't certified to teach at such a high grade level and she got unlucky since she was new. She again raised the scores of her students on the test. Her grade AGAIN scored the best in the school. The third grade class she left? Well, let's just say that they are probably going to go on probation again. The scores were less than half of her scores from the previous years.

So yeah, she's not perfect and yeah, she made some grammatical errors. Hell, call her on the errors, that's no big deal. I sometimes call people out here on that stuff just so I can make fun of them. You keep your damn "Dumbing of America" comments to yourself though. If someone had the misfortune to breed with you, you'd want your kid to be taught by her. And guess what? She'd do a good job with your kid even though you gave her a holier than thou attitude.

Oh, and by the way, if you were a music major major and graduated before about 3 or 4 years ago, she probably knows EXACTLY who you are. And guess what? If you graduated before that I probably know exactly who you are too. I may have even been to your recital. So maybe it's not as anonymous here as you thought.

IB4OU2
7/17/2006, 09:29 AM
I never pay attention to grammar or spelling when I post and I write many documents and procedures (approved by the government and used by my customers and my company) yearly. This is a freakin' message board....

and LF is quite the tule.

Gandalf_The_Grey
7/17/2006, 10:03 AM
Now Now, I hope he was just being tongue in cheek. There is a large contigency of people on this board who don't respect teachers though. Not realizing it is one of the hardest jobs in the whole wide world.

Hatfield
7/17/2006, 10:15 AM
if you can be "humiliated" by someone pointing out your incorrect grammar...well......i shouldn't have to finish this sentence...

C&CDean
7/17/2006, 10:28 AM
I only bag on people about their grammar when they're also being insufferable dip****s. Mrs. Norm is NOT an insufferable dip****. Her husband? Well.........

Hatfield
7/17/2006, 10:31 AM
s.hit should be un ****

if it is good for el presidente it is good for the SO

jess sayin

jk the sooner fan
7/17/2006, 10:32 AM
i cant believe anybody would make an issue of the president using the word "s***" in a private conversation with Tony Blair

incredible......

Gandalf_The_Grey
7/17/2006, 10:32 AM
I think Mrs. Norm should get a medal of some sort for going to school and putting up with those little ****s and then as a reward getting to come home to Norm :P

Gandalf_The_Grey
7/17/2006, 10:37 AM
I personally think the President should be like Lyndon Johnson(except for that whole killing Kennedy thing) and cuss like sailors...which is more intimidating

"We would like for you to acquiesce to our demands and cease all acts of hostilities"

" You Dirty Towel Head wearing son of a bitches...if you don't clean up your mother ****ing ways...we are going to blow you into Aegean"

Mrs. Norm
7/17/2006, 10:52 AM
if you can be "humiliated" by someone pointing out your incorrect grammar...well......i shouldn't have to finish this sentence...

I never said that I was "humiliated". People that know me realize I'm not a dumb *** that doesn't know how to speak correctly. I was ticked off that LF connected my "grammatical errors" on a message board to Dumbing America.

jk the sooner fan
7/17/2006, 10:54 AM
you can make a humiliating comment, or an attempt to humiliate...doesnt mean the one intended to be offended will feel that way