PDA

View Full Version : Cox Cable Phone Service.........

Al Gore
7/15/2006, 09:26 AM
Has anyone switched over to this? How does it work?

Flagstaffsooner
7/15/2006, 09:29 AM
I have Vonage, does that count?

Al Gore
7/15/2006, 09:32 AM
Is it cable based????

JohnnyMack
7/15/2006, 09:34 AM
From what I understand Cox comes out and patches a box next to your current SWB box OUTSIDE of your house. Then they use the copper in the cable lines to carry the signal. 911 works normally and you don't have to worry about power outages making your phone service go down. At least that's what I've been told. But the guy who told me is a cop. and you all know that 99.9997....

Sooner_Bob
7/15/2006, 09:40 AM
So the Cox Service is VoIP?

Al Gore
7/15/2006, 09:44 AM
This

http://www.cox.com/Telephone/

Sooner_Bob
7/15/2006, 09:47 AM
Hmmm, sounds like it might be VoIP and the switch they install interfaces between the phone lines in your home and the Cox lines outside your home.

Interesting.

yermom
7/15/2006, 10:22 AM
i don't believe it is VoIP, it is digital though

has nothing to do with the Cable Modem

i've never had any problems, been using it for a couple years

ultimatesooner1
7/15/2006, 10:33 AM
I've had it for 4 or 5 years w/ no problems but I rarely use my home phone

Flagstaffsooner
7/15/2006, 10:47 AM
Is it cable based????Yes

Vaevictis
7/15/2006, 10:51 AM
I've been using it for about 3 years now, have had it go out 2-3 times over that period for a couple hours.

So it's slightly less reliable than the regular telephone service, IMO, as I've never had proper POTS go out on me in my life. But out once a year for a couple hours isn't too bad.

reevie
7/15/2006, 12:37 PM
I just had it installed on Thursday evening.

Yes, it is VOIP.

They did replace my cable modem box with something about twice the size.

They had to put a new outlet in the wall. I'm not quite sure I understand why. Something about the cable line goes into the fancy new box, goes to the wall and magically changes over to the normal, existing telephone wire in the house.

I haven't noticed any change in my phone, but then I have no friends so I don't talk on the phone. However, did have a freaky ring this morning when some 1-800 number called.

yermom
7/15/2006, 01:35 PM
that sounds like a completely different service than what i have...

i guess they sell VoIP and Digital?

7/15/2006, 01:43 PM
I remember thinking the jump to a "cell-only" house would be a big deal.

Three years later, I can't believe it took us so long to axe the land line.

BoogercountySooner
7/15/2006, 01:55 PM
My Family lives on top of a Mountain in Rural NW Arkansas and all we use are cell phones. Pro is no land line phone bill Con is I hear my Cell phone ringing now where the Hell is it!:)

Boomerbrad
7/15/2006, 10:14 PM
Al,

We were thinking about it about 4-6 months ago. One of our concerns was 911 and the ability to track the call (especially since we have little one who might forget our address). We called Shawnee County Emergency Management to see if they've had success tracking calls and they were very non-committal. Their specific advice was that if we got it, to call Emer Mgt and have them run a test. We decided to wait until we've heard from others whether it works.

hurricane'bone
7/15/2006, 10:23 PM
i don't believe it is VoIP, it is digital though

has nothing to do with the Cable Modem

i've never had any problems, been using it for a couple years

I think its VoIP here in Tulsa...because it comes through our cable modem...which has a 12 hour battery backup, so I can still be on the innerweb with my laptop when we have no power...like last year.

Al Gore
7/15/2006, 10:25 PM
Al,

We were thinking about it about 4-6 months ago. One of our concerns was 911 and the ability to track the call (especially since we have little one who might forget our address). We called Shawnee County Emergency Management to see if they've had success tracking calls and they were very non-committal. Their specific advice was that if we got it, to call Emer Mgt and have them run a test. We decided to wait until we've heard from others whether it works.I hadn't thought about that.....BTW....I am also in Topeka......

yermom
7/15/2006, 11:52 PM
I think its VoIP here in Tulsa...because it comes through our cable modem...which has a 12 hour battery backup, so I can still be on the innerweb with my laptop when we have no power...like last year.

i don't think i'd switch if it was VoIP, my internet is too buggy for that

Frozen Sooner
7/16/2006, 02:03 AM
If it's the same thing that GCI cable is selling up here, it's not VOIP. At least, the tech guy on the phone swears up and down that it's not.

They're also carrying the signal over their owned fiber lines instead of their leased copper lines.

Norm In Norman
7/17/2006, 07:50 AM
I've had it for years now and mine is not VOIP. My cablemodem service goes down for about 10 minutes out of every hour and my phone always works during this time. it's a seperate box outside form my cable box. They even had to run another cable from the main cable box that is in my neighbor's yard.

Partial Qualifier
7/17/2006, 08:24 AM
that sounds like a completely different service than what i have...

i guess they sell VoIP and Digital?

Me too, same as you and Norm. I was told it's still AT7T/Bell's lines, but because of the un-monopolization other companies can provide the voice service. over those lines. Or something like that. I've never had a problem with it.

MamaMia
7/17/2006, 09:12 AM
I wish we had Cox for our cable. The people we have are so expensive and I have to have a technician here about once a month because something goes out.

Mjcpr
7/17/2006, 09:13 AM
I wish we had Cox for our cable. The people we have are so expensive and I have to have a technician here about once a month because something goes out.

Get satellite.