PDA

View Full Version : Switzer endorsing another political cadidate

picasso
7/15/2006, 09:01 AM
as per tv ad I had the pleasure of seeing last night.
"Vote for this sumbitch."

Please King, stick to football and old timey stories.

Jerk
7/15/2006, 09:04 AM
I wasn't happy with him endorsing Brad Henry back in 2001 but I guess the KING was right because I will vote for Henry this fall. I think Henry will be the first Democrat I've voted for since Bob Macey. Aside from the stupid lottery that taxes people who are bad at math, I think Henry has done a good jorb.

picasso
7/15/2006, 09:08 AM
I wasn't happy with him endorsing Brad Henry back in 2001 but I guess the KING was right because I will vote for Henry this fall. I think Henry will be the first Democrat I've voted for since Bob Macey. Aside from the stupid lottery that taxes people who are bad at math, I think Henry has done a good jorb.
what the hell for? the lottery hasn't exactly been our saving grace as ole Brad had promised.
people think Bush sounds like an Oaf. Henry sounds like Al Gore's slower talking hillbilly cousin.

JohnnyMack
7/15/2006, 09:17 AM
as per tv ad I had the pleasure of seeing last night.
"Vote for this sumbitch."

Please King, stick to football and Jack Daniels.

:eddie:

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
7/15/2006, 09:58 AM
I've known Pete and his wife for about 13 years. He's a good guy. Not that that means anything to you guys.

Jerk
7/15/2006, 10:08 AM
what the hell for? the lottery hasn't exactly been our saving grace as ole Brad had promised.
people think Bush sounds like an Oaf. Henry sounds like Al Gore's slower talking hillbilly cousin.

He's pretty conservative for a Democrat. He's done way more for gun owners than Istook.

ps- im a single issue voter. Sounds crazy, but a politician's stance on gun rights tells me everything I need to know about them. Either we are free individuals, or subjects who have to be lorded over by their masters.

JohnnyMack
7/15/2006, 10:09 AM
ps- im a single issue voter.

Still pushing for the legalization of gay marriage eh?

;)

Jerk
7/15/2006, 10:12 AM
Still pushing for the legalization of gay marriage eh?

;)

Well, I do drive a Miata.

Vaevictis
7/15/2006, 10:30 AM
Aside from the stupid lottery that taxes people who are bad at math, I think Henry has done a good jorb.

But at least it's a totally voluntary tax, right? :)

'sides, all gambling against the "house" is for people who are bad at math.

Jerk
7/15/2006, 10:40 AM
But at least it's a totally voluntary tax, right? :)

'sides, all gambling against the "house" is for people who are bad at math.

Yeah, you're spot on. I'm lucky in that I never did get addicted to gambling, even though I get hooked on everything else I try that's bad and evil.

7/15/2006, 01:20 PM
Despite His status as a coaching god, His endorsement of Blake was enough to squelch any further endorsements He might offer.

picasso
7/17/2006, 09:30 AM
I've known Pete and his wife for about 13 years. He's a good guy. Not that that means anything to you guys.
Steve Larget is also a good guy. Many good guys run for office.
I've met David Walters and thought he was nice as can be. cough cough.

Mjcpr
7/17/2006, 09:33 AM

I don't remember him promising that. What he promised was that it would be additional funding for education.....which, as far as I know, it has been.

Mjcpr
7/17/2006, 09:33 AM
His son is a perv though.

:D

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
7/17/2006, 09:50 AM
I've met David Walters and thought he was nice as can be. cough cough.I worked for David Walters' office in college as an intern and he is a really nice guy. As far as the whole illegal donations thing, that rich dude gave Keating's "kids" tons more money a few years later and Keating didn't get so much as a slap on the wrist.

picasso
7/17/2006, 09:51 AM
I don't remember him promising that. What he promised was that it would be additional funding for education.....which, as far as I know, it has been.
were you asleep? he displayed some big numbers from other states all the while ignoring some other facts concerning the effects of the lotttries.

you do realize it hasn't put up the money projected.

picasso
7/17/2006, 09:53 AM
I worked for David Walters' office in college as an intern and he is a really nice guy. As far as the whole illegal donations thing, that rich dude gave Keating's "kids" tons more money a few years later and Keating didn't get so much as a slap on the wrist.
I know Walters is cool. I met he and his wife. They were very impressive. My point is being a nice or good guy doesn't always mean you'll be a solid politician.

And Keating? He was raped constantly by the state media. He got no free passes anywhere. Some hillbillies still think we payed for that dome thingy.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
7/17/2006, 09:56 AM
Oh I wasn't making an endorsement earlier in the thread about Pete, just saying I knew him. I've also met politicians I thought were jerks when I met them or heard stories about them but voted for them based on the way I thought they could do the job.

Mjcpr
7/17/2006, 10:01 AM
were you asleep? he displayed some big numbers from other states all the while ignoring some other facts concerning the effects of the lotttries.

you do realize it hasn't put up the money projected.
He didn't promise it would be our 'saving grace' which is what you said....I don't recall him promising that. If it generates more than $0, then that's a benefit to education and that's a good thing, I suppose.

And if it isn't hitting the projections, you should be happy that the great unwashed masses aren't ****ing away as much of their Pampers money on it.

picasso
7/17/2006, 10:04 AM
He didn't promise it would be our 'saving grace' which is what you said....I don't recall him promising that. If it generates more than $0, then that's a benefit to education and that's a good thing, I suppose.

And if it isn't hitting the projections, you should be happy that the great unwashed masses aren't ****ing away as much of their Pampers money on it.
well I wasn't quoting the redneck literally dude. do you not recall the big production they put up for this agenda? they did make it sound like it would be our salvation. heh.
maybe I was drunk or fell asleep from his speech.

Big Red Ron
7/17/2006, 10:05 AM
Brad Henry's speech pattern makes Bush's look like Tony Blair's.

Brad only won with about 46% of the vote last time. Istook or Sullivan could easily beat him.

Rhino
7/17/2006, 10:10 AM
The less I hear about a governor, the better. I hardly hear anything about Gov. Henry. The less meddling, scandals and career positioning, the better.

And Keating? He was raped constantly by the state media. He got no free passes anywhere. Some hillbillies still think we payed for that dome thingy. Keating brought most of that upon himself for having foot-in-mouth disease.

frankensooner
7/17/2006, 10:13 AM
Oh, and the State did have to pony up cash for the dome thingie as not all of the pledged cash came in as promised.

Mjcpr
7/17/2006, 10:14 AM
Brad Henry's speech pattern makes Bush's look like Tony Blair's.

Brad only won with about 46% of the vote last time. Istook or Sullivan could easily beat him.

You're high. He will be elected again, protect your wrists.

picasso
7/17/2006, 10:15 AM
The less I hear about a governor, the better. I hardly hear anything about Gov. Henry. The less meddling, scandals and career positioning, the better.
Keating brought most of that upon himself for having foot-in-mouth disease.
do you live in Tulsa? he was raked over the fire. much moreso than Walters ever was.

and Franken, is that true? I did not know that. I want my money back then.

Big Red Ron
7/17/2006, 10:18 AM
You're high. He will be elected again, protect your wrists.

:DNo Richardson, no Henry.

C&CDean
7/17/2006, 10:21 AM
I think it's funny that the same nimrods who rail on Bush for being a poor speaker, support Brad Henry.

And FWIW, I think BH has done a very admirable job. He's done nothing. He's kept his mouth shut. Just what we need a governor to do. Of course he doesn't have to worry about the local yokels dogging his every step like the previous gov did. If Keating took one too many wipes after taking a dump, they were all over it. "Today, Governor Keating wasted even more tax-payer money by using excessive Charmin after an especially nasty crap.....brought on from his wasting excessive tax payers money by eating at Ted's....."

Rhino
7/17/2006, 10:36 AM
The good thing is Brad Henry isn't supposed to be a good speaker because he isn't supposed to do or say much of anything.

I have vastly different expectations for the the leader of the free world than I do for the governor of Oklahoma.

frankensooner
7/17/2006, 10:46 AM
Franken, is that true? I did not know that. I want my money back then.

When the money didn't roll in, the legislature passed a bill allowing the Dome Authority to get 5 mil in bonds to fund it. I don't know how much they sold, but if a state agency is allowed to sell bonds, they usually sell all they can.

http://www.oscn.net/applications/oscn/DeliverDocument.asp?CiteID=440581

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
7/17/2006, 11:18 AM
I think it's funny that the same nimrods who rail on Bush for being a poor speaker, support Brad Henry. These are the Yellow Dog folk. When they become a solid majority in the US, it will be time for TSAR.

Rhino
7/17/2006, 11:26 AM
http://www.dankern.net/tsar/images/bgm_sm.gif

Tear Down This Wall
7/17/2006, 11:51 AM
Dear people who live in Oklahoma,

About 16 years ago, Texas passed a state lottery promising that the money would be for "education." Just a few weeks ago, in a special legislative session, the legislature applied the latest band-aid to the school financing program down here. Gee, guys and dolls, what happened to all that lottery money you promised for the education system lo those many years ago?

The bottom line is that lotteries are a farce. The pols will bang their "it's for education" drum until it passes, then they'll waste the money of other things when it comes in. Basically, giving politicians lottery money is like giving a bottle of Jack Daniels and cocaine to a drug addict and telling him not to use them.

Don't be fooled. If you want a lottery, just admit that you want it. Don't let politicians get up and lie and bullshi*t you into thinking that they're doing something for education. Make them tell the truth: "We can't get your money through unpopular tax raises anymore, so we're foisting this lottery thing on you to get into the pockets of the most idiotic of you who like handing money over to us for no real reason."

Love,
Tear Down This Wall

C&CDean
7/17/2006, 12:21 PM
The good thing is Brad Henry isn't supposed to be a good speaker because he isn't supposed to do or say much of anything.

I have vastly different expectations for the the leader of the free world than I do for the governor of Oklahoma.

Oh. So what you're saying is if GWB could talk, he'd be a great prez?

Since Henry's been gov, I've seen him on the tube maybe 3 times. When Keating was gov, he was on the news damn near every night. Wonder why that is/was? The average mindless liberal would say "it's because Keating was a dumbass who deserved to be dogged on by the press, and Henry is groovy cause he just leaves stuff alone and doesn't say/do anything wrong."

Somehow I just don't think that's it.

Rhino
7/17/2006, 12:30 PM
Oh. So what you're saying is GWB can't talk? ;)

Or, it could be that Henry is very bland and boring, while Keating would **** off school teachers almost every week and walk out of news conferences because he couldn't control his temper.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
7/17/2006, 12:32 PM
These are the Yellow Dog folk. When they become a solid majority in the US, it will be time for TSAR.Are you freaking kidding me? The yellow dogs in this state can't stand Brad Henry--they don't like it that he brings people from both sides of the aisle together.

When considering Largent as the alternative, he was a better option for them.

Mjcpr
7/17/2006, 12:34 PM

Yeah, but his son is a perv.

C&CDean
7/17/2006, 12:34 PM
Now you fockturds have got me singing that "Brad Henry, Brad Henry" campaign song in my head..........

7/17/2006, 12:52 PM
Are you freaking kidding me? The yellow dogs in this state can't stand Brad Henry--they don't like it that he brings people from both sides of the aisle together.

So, you're saying they will vote for the Repub. challenger come election time, eh?....HA!

Taxman71
7/17/2006, 01:03 PM
FWIW, Switzer had nothing to do with Henry's election. It was that commercial with his daughters playing in the backyard asking you to vote for "Daddy". Switzer is unequaled in football circles, but he will endorse anything for $$, including that ridiculous fuel tax a year ago and this Pete guy.

Keating had his faults, namely diarhea of the mouth when reporters were around, but genuinely worked very hard and was a really cool guy away from the job and media.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
7/17/2006, 01:38 PM
So, you're saying they will vote for the Repub. challenger come election time, eh?....HA!If it's better than the alternative, yes. Considering Henry doesn't have an opponent in the primary, he will get the Yellow Dog vote. Most Democrats in Oklahoma aren't "liberal" by national standards.

Mjcpr
7/17/2006, 01:44 PM
Saw this article in the TW today regarding the lottery.

Lottery tops its funding goal for education

The Oklahoma Lottery Commission on Sunday announced it has exceeded its goal of raising $65 million for its Oklahoma Education Lottery Trust Fund.

Ticket sales for the fiscal year that ended June 30 were about $207 million, according to a release from the commission.

The amount for the education trust fund is just over $65.2 million.

"This means new money for a variety of educational programs in our state," Jim Scroggins, executive director of the Oklahoma Lottery Commission, said in the release. "In our first 262 days of sales, we effectively raised $248,091 every single day for education. That is something all of us are very proud of."

Rollo Redburn, director of administration, said the $65 million goal was an ambitious one.

"The estimates were kind of developed when we had no experience," Redburn said. "We had no idea what sales might be. When we looked at it and kind of compared it to the states around us it just seemed like it was a pretty ambitious revenue estimate. We were glad that we were able to achieve it."

Lottery officials are happy but not surprised that they reached the goal, Redburn said.

"We were pretty confident the last probably three or four months that we were going to get there," he said. "We knew it could go either way because it was getting close, but it worked out."

Factors such as an aggressive board and low overhead have helped the commission reach its goal, Redburn said.

"We've been doing a pretty good job of keeping our operating costs down," he said. "That's helped contribute to our ability to make a profit."

Ticket sales in mid-January were about $71 million, with the vast majority coming from scratch-off tickets, which were the only games available when the lottery had its Oklahoma debut Oct. 12.

The commission introduced Pick 3 on Nov. 10 and Powerball on Jan. 12.
The introduction of Powerball gave lottery sales a healthy boost. Average weekly lottery sales were at about $7.1 million in the first three weeks of Powerball gaming, up from about a $3.5 million weekly average before Powerball.

In the first quarterly payment to the education trust fund in January, the commission deposited about $17 million.

The money for education is divided in four categories as determined by the legislation that created the lottery.

Kindergarten through 12th grade public education receives 45 percent of the money. It goes toward compensation and benefits for public school teachers and support employees, and early childhood development programs.
Another 45 percent goes to higher education, including tuition grants, loans and scholarships for Oklahomans.

It will also include construction of educational, capital outlay programs and technology for all levels of education. This money also benefits the Oklahoma School for the Deaf and Oklahoma School for the Blind.

Five percent goes to the Teachers' Retirement System Dedicated Revenue Revolving Fund and another 5 percent to the School Consolidation and Assistance Fund.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/NewsStory.asp?ID=060717_Ne_A1_Lotte2299

JohnnyMack
7/17/2006, 02:07 PM
The money for education is divided in four categories as determined by the legislation that created the lottery.

Kindergarten through 12th grade public education receives 45 percent of the money. It goes toward compensation and benefits for public school teachers and support employees, and early childhood development programs.
Another 45 percent goes to higher education, including tuition grants, loans and scholarships for Oklahomans.

It will also include construction of educational, capital outlay programs and technology for all levels of education. This money also benefits the Oklahoma School for the Deaf and Oklahoma School for the Blind.

Five percent goes to the Teachers' Retirement System Dedicated Revenue Revolving Fund and another 5 percent to the School Consolidation and Assistance Fund.

Who's in charge of managing this money?

7/17/2006, 02:10 PM
If it's better than the alternative, yes. Considering Henry doesn't have an opponent in the primary, he will get the Yellow Dog vote. Most Democrats in Oklahoma aren't "liberal" by national standards.The Yellow Dog vote doesn't happen in the primary.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
7/17/2006, 02:47 PM
The Yellow Dog vote doesn't happen in the primary.Do you even know what the definition of Yellow Dog is? Of course they aren't going to vote for the Republican in the general because they would rather vote for a yellow dog than a Republican. This is your original post, in reply to Dean's (his post is italicized):

I think it's funny that the same nimrods who rail on Bush for being a poor speaker, support Brad Henry.

These are the Yellow Dog folk. When they become a solid majority in the US, it will be time for TSAR.

My reply was that the hardcore yellow dogs aren't as a rule big Henry fans because he doesn't toe the party line all the time. They will vote for him absent of another more party-apologetic Democrat in the primary. If however, he drew an opponent who was a total party person in the primary (and they had the chance of winning) that person would get the YD vote in the primary. That is not the case here.

7/17/2006, 03:06 PM
My reply was that the hardcore yellow dogs aren't as a rule big Henry fans because he doesn't toe the party line all the time. If however, he drew an opponent who was a total party person in the primary (and they had the chance of winning) that person would get the YD vote in the primary. That is not the case here.Yes, you insinuated that before. You also left the impression a dim would consider voting for a Repub in OKLA. in the general election, since you don't think the average OK dim is as liberal as most are. Anything is possible, but Im guessing not many would, due to Yellow Dog status. BTW, why did you ask if I know what the definition of Yellow Dog is?

JohnnyMack
7/17/2006, 03:15 PM
Yes, you insinuated that before. You also left the impression a dim would consider voting for a Repub in OKLA. in the general election, since you don't think the average OK dim is as liberal as most are. Anything is possible, but Im guessing not many would, due to Yellow Dog status. BTW, why did you ask if I know what the definition of Yellow Dog is?

If you think an Oklahoma liberal is the same as say a pacific northwest liberal, a NoCal liberal or a New England liberal than you're kinda dumb.

7/17/2006, 03:22 PM
If you think an Oklahoma liberal is the same as say a pacific northwest liberal, a NoCal liberal or a New England liberal than you're kinda dumb.If you think I think that, you're kinda dumb.

JohnnyMack
7/17/2006, 03:27 PM
If you think I think that, you're kinda dumb.

Oh, I forgot, all liberals are evil and can be appropriately painted so with the broad stroke of the neo-con hate brush.

Mjcpr
7/17/2006, 03:27 PM
Why is everyone ignoring my great lottery article???

:)

JohnnyMack
7/17/2006, 03:28 PM
Why is everyone ignoring my great lottery article???

I axed you a quession and you didn't respond.

:mad:

Mjcpr
7/17/2006, 03:31 PM
I axed you a quession and you didn't respond.

:mad:

Dude, I have no idea.

Jerk
7/17/2006, 03:36 PM
Help me with these definitions:

Yellow dog - liberal democrat
Blue dog - Conservative democrat, usually from the South

Am I right?

And I never did understand exactly what a neo-con was- What I heard was that it's a former democrat turned evangical christian, believes in supporting Israel no matter what, and usually for big government.

I myself am a 'personal freedom isolationists' whatever the h*ll that means. Oh yeah, it means mind your own business and I'll mind my own.

JohnnyMack
7/17/2006, 03:38 PM
I myself am a 'personal freedom isolationists' whatever the h*ll that means. Oh yeah, it means mind your own business and I'll mind my own.

So you can wax your Miata in the privacy of your own driveway?

Jerk
7/17/2006, 03:40 PM
So you can wax your Miata in the privacy of your own driveway?

That's right. What I do on my property is no one else's business so long as it doesn't infringe on anyone elses' rights.

KaiserSooner
7/17/2006, 03:48 PM
Istook or Sullivan could easily beat him.

But it won't happen. I actually think Sully has a better chance against Henry than Istook.

Besides, Istook couldn't beat himself if he wanted to. He's Mormon. :D

Okay, I know....that was pathetic :O

SoonerWood
7/17/2006, 03:59 PM
I wasn't much on Henry until the day he signed that bill that prevented the government from confiscating your guns in a state of emergency (i.e. Katrina). At that point, he became a 'good guy' in my book.

royalfan5
7/17/2006, 04:00 PM
What's Switzer's record on endorsing candidates. He came up here to stump for Osborne, which didn't quite work out for Tom.

KaiserSooner
7/17/2006, 04:09 PM
What's Switzer's record on endorsing candidates. He came up here to stump for Osborne, which didn't quite work out for Tom.

What do you mean it didn't work out for Tom? He's in Congress isn't he?

I don't know what Switzer's endorsement record is, but it certainly helped to bring Brad Henry out of obscurity in 2002. Which, frankly, I think is sad commentary on the attention span of voters in Oklahoma.

Taxman71
7/17/2006, 04:11 PM

As far as I know, Brad Henry is the only "winner" he endorsed (and I do not put John Blake in this category despite the 4 games a year he won). Bottom line is that people still don't change their political views and votes very often regardless of endorsements. Case in point is Oklahoma not electing Bud Wilkinson after his retirement as coach.

Condescending Sooner
7/17/2006, 04:17 PM
I work for the state, and it is Brad is widely know for his laziness. I see him come into work, and it is usually around 10:30 a.m.

It bothers me being raised the way I was, but at least he can't screw up if he isn't doing anything.

royalfan5
7/17/2006, 04:21 PM
What do you mean it didn't work out for Tom? He's in Congress isn't he?

I don't know what Switzer's endorsement record is, but it certainly helped to bring Brad Henry out of obscurity in 2002. Which, frankly, I think is sad commentary on the attention span of voters in Oklahoma.
Switzer endorsed Osborne in the Republican Gubentorial primary, in which he lost. Osborne did not need endorsements in running for congress because he ran in the Nebraska third district where the Democrats have fielded a serious candidate maybe twice since the depression.

mdklatt
7/17/2006, 04:36 PM
Yellow dog - liberal democrat
Blue dog - Conservative democrat, usually from the South

I thought a yellow dog Democrat is a Southern Democrat?

From what I can tell, a true Southern Democrat is a Bible thumper that wants to raise your taxes.

Jerk
7/17/2006, 04:38 PM
I wasn't much on Henry until the day he signed that bill that prevented the government from confiscating your guns in a state of emergency (i.e. Katrina). At that point, he became a 'good guy' in my book.

Brad Henry's friendliness towards gun owners has insured him that he will win walking away this Fall. He's got the endorsement of NRA's state affiliation, the ORA, and probaby gets an A+ from the NRA-ILA on their "report card." Rest of democrats should take note.

Jerk
7/17/2006, 04:47 PM

From what I can tell, a true Southern Democrat is a Bible thumper that wants to raise your taxes.

bah, it's confusing. I've always known that you can have a Mississippi Democrat be waaaaay more right wing than a New York Republican. I think the mass defection of southern Democrats in 1994 actually was harmful to the political climate of this nation, although I was happy about it at the time.

Vaevictis
7/17/2006, 04:52 PM

Yeah. Phrase comes from, "I'd vote for a yellow dog, if he were a Democrat."

It was, iirc, mostly a Southern phenomenon (in reference to an early 1900's election where people in the South voted for some Dem candidate even though they didn't like some of his platform). "Blue dogs" refer to the southern conservative democrats who say that they feel like they were "choked blue" by them damn libz.

7/17/2006, 04:57 PM
My understanding of a Yellow Dog is a democrat who will ALWAYS vote democrtat, except for maybe a rare occasion when he has the option of voting for someone who is even more liberal, such as the Green party and Ralph Nader.

mdklatt
7/17/2006, 05:02 PM
Why the hell there are still so many people in the South who consider themselves Democrats is far beyond my comprehension.

Many Southern states are still dominated by Democrats at the state level but yet vote overwhelmingly for Republicans at the national level. How is that Oklahoma, the reddest of the Red States, has only had two Republican governors in its entire history? :confused:

ATTENTION HILLBILLIES: The Civil War is over and the Republicans are no longer the party of Lincoln.

Vaevictis
7/17/2006, 05:08 PM
Oklahoma used to be as Yellow Dog Democrat as they come, so it shouldn't be suprising that there have been only two Republican governors.

Think about all of the "major" politicians from Oklahoma you've heard of over the years... the Borens, Albert, etc. Pretty much all Democrats.

mdklatt
7/17/2006, 05:17 PM
Think about all of the "major" politicians from Oklahoma you've heard of over the years... the Borens, Albert, etc. Pretty much all Democrats.

But WHY? Oklahomans are:

anti-abortion
pro-gun
anti-tax
anti-gay
pro-military
pro-death penalty
pro-Christianity

What part of any of that is Democrat???

Vaevictis
7/17/2006, 05:19 PM
But WHY? Oklahomans are:

(...)

Consider for a moment that half of that list didn't apply until the '40's, and the other half didn't apply until the latter half of the '60's. And, as implied, Yellow Dogs die hard.

picasso
7/17/2006, 05:50 PM

oh man oh man. there's a fella that blows hot air at my barber's shop. dude just comes in and hangs out and talks aloud about how his life sucks so badly due to stupid republicans.
guy is about 70, retired from the pipeline union type job. he'll use the n word regularly referring to black people, and I'm quite sure he's a homophobe and owns a shotgun rack somehwere. this guy has no idea.
but hey, he's a diehard democrat. heh.

oh, the best though was the time this oilfield guy said every war we've ever been in was started by a republican president. hehe oh man I had fun with that one.:D

picasso
7/17/2006, 05:51 PM
But WHY? Oklahomans are:

anti-abortion
pro-gun
anti-tax
anti-gay
pro-military
pro-death penalty
pro-Christianity

what exactly is anti-gay? I'm not anti-gay. I'm not for gay marriage but I have no problem with them and apparently they like Tulsa.

Taxman71
7/17/2006, 06:06 PM
Oklahoma is only now becoming anti-tax. Compared to other states in our area, we tax damn near everything.....income, estates, tollroads. The recent repeal of the estate tax and reduction in tax rates is a step in the right direction though.

mdklatt
7/17/2006, 06:15 PM
The recent repeal of the estate tax and reduction in tax rates is a step in the right direction though.

How the hell are we going to make up the revenue difference, though?

7/17/2006, 08:32 PM
How the hell are we going to make up the revenue difference, though?You are joking, right?

SicEmBaylor
7/17/2006, 08:39 PM

Being a good guy has nothing to do with it. I know lots of liberals who are "good guys." A couple of my very good friends are liberal, but that doesn't mean that I'd want them in office. I don't vote on personality.

SicEmBaylor
7/17/2006, 08:42 PM
Are you freaking kidding me? The yellow dogs in this state can't stand Brad Henry--they don't like it that he brings people from both sides of the aisle together.

I think he meant blue dogs not yellow dogs...

SicEmBaylor
7/17/2006, 08:43 PM
I've only casually glanced at a few of the responses in this thread; could someone tell me who the hell Switzer endorsed.

SicEmBaylor
7/17/2006, 08:44 PM
My understanding of a Yellow Dog is a democrat who will ALWAYS vote democrtat, except for maybe a rare occasion when he has the option of voting for someone who is even more liberal, such as the Green party and Ralph Nader.

A yellow dog democrat is not necessarily one who is extremely liberal. A yellow dog democrat is someone who is very veyr loyal to the Democratic party which means they'd be unlikely to abandon the party in favor of a 3rd party candidate.

Blue dog democrats are conservative err conservative by liberal standards democrats.

SicEmBaylor
7/17/2006, 08:47 PM
Oh, I forgot, all liberals are evil and can be appropriately painted so with the broad stroke of the neo-con hate brush.

My God I do fine myself in a precarious political situation. I don't think neo-cons, in either the real meaning of the word or people who fasionably refer to themselves as such, are real conservatives. Therefore, this is an inner-liberal family dispute.

Jerk
7/17/2006, 08:47 PM
I've only casually glanced at a few of the responses in this thread; could someone tell me who the hell Switzer endorsed.

Brad Henry Brady Henry! (I still have that da*ned song stuck in my head)

Jerk
7/17/2006, 08:48 PM
Can someone please tell me WTF a neo-con is?

SicEmBaylor
7/17/2006, 08:49 PM
But WHY? Oklahomans are:

anti-abortion
pro-gun
anti-tax
anti-gay
pro-military
pro-death penalty
pro-Christianity

Because, the old perception that Republicans are for the rich and Democrats are for the "little people" pervades in a state that is overwhelmingly lower middle class.

SicEmBaylor
7/17/2006, 08:51 PM
Brad Henry Brady Henry! (I still have that da*ned song stuck in my head)

Why is that a shock?
He endorsed Henry in '02.

I'm giving good consideration to voting for Henry myself. There are some personal reasons for remaining loyal to Istook though...The fact that he's a Baylor graduate is also on that list.

SicEmBaylor
7/17/2006, 08:56 PM
Can someone please tell me WTF a neo-con is?
Well, the term has become muddled somewhat. Originally it referred to reformed Marxists (of the Trotskyite variety which is very interesting to say the least...)who adopted free-market ideas and advocated a stance against the Soviet Union; though, the focus of neo-conservatism was on foreign policy matters.

They had some intellectual leaders such as Bill Kristol's dad's (Editor of the Weekly Standard and Fox News Contributor)Irving Kristol and Strauss. Early converts were people like Paul Wolfowitz and David Horowtiz (who I've had the occasion to have dinner with and who was an ******* of the first degree).

Today, a neo-con typically refers to someone who supported American intervention overseas in order to create an America-friendly world by installing pro-Democratic governments in despotic nations. They advocate a very forward leaning foreign policy, and typically are willing to sacrafice a reduced role of the goverment at home to get an increased role of government abroad. The reason for this is becuase in order to have a very forward leaning foreign policy you have to have a stron centralized government at home.

I am neither a neo-con nor do I consider them conservative; though they are right-wing.

SoonerWood
7/17/2006, 08:59 PM
I heard Barry Switzer and George Nigh both endorsing Pete Regan for Lt. Governor.

SicEmBaylor
7/17/2006, 09:08 PM
I heard Barry Switzer and George Nigh both endorsing Pete Regan for Lt. Governor.

Hah...Pete Regan...
Well, I honestly haven't decided between Pruitt and Hiett. I started out pretty firmly in the Hiett camp, but I feel myself being swayed by Pruitt.

Sooner_75
7/17/2006, 09:08 PM
I stopped reading this thread when I saw CCD utter the term 'fockturds' That is greatness. I will use that when I am trying not to cuss when describing the *** hats I have to deal with on a regular basis.

SicEmBaylor
7/17/2006, 09:20 PM
Geezus, I was reading Pete Regan's very very short list of issues and I'm amused to see that old-school Democratic issues like paying in-state tuition to every B average student haven't gone away. Holy hell, how many kids is that? What the hell would be the cost of that and how's he going to pay for it? With that "alternative energy" boom he plans to bring to the state? Christ-o.

Also, I was checking out the website of one o the leading Democrats to replace Staggs..guy's name is Jeff Potts. He's a nice enough guy I suppose and he isn't Barbara Staggs so he has both of those things going for him.

Anyway, I was reading his bio and he included this little blurb; I’ve spent my career fighting big corporations and helping people who have nowhere else to turn.

Why the hell do 90% of Democratic candidates feel compelled to add something in their campaign literature, website, or otherwise about being a "little guy" or "fighting against the big guys" as if every election in these United States is an epic struggle between the Romanovs and Bolshevicks.

Every time I see that the stench of class envy becomes overpowering and I must excuse myself from the room.

Big Red Ron
7/18/2006, 01:03 AM
There are some personal reasons for remaining loyal to Istook though...The fact that he's a Baylor graduate is also on that list.Ya know he converted to Mormanism, right?:pop:

KaiserSooner
7/18/2006, 02:17 AM
Why the hell there are still so many people in the South who consider themselves Democrats is far beyond my comprehension.

Many Southern states are still dominated by Democrats at the state level but yet vote overwhelmingly for Republicans at the national level. How is that Oklahoma, the reddest of the Red States, has only had two Republican governors in its entire history? :confused:

ATTENTION HILLBILLIES: The Civil War is over and the Republicans are no longer the party of Lincoln.

This doesn't affect your point in anyway, but FWIW, Oklahoma has had three GOP gubs: Bellmon, Bartlett, and Keating.

Vaevictis
7/18/2006, 03:59 AM
Because, the old perception that Republicans are for the rich and Democrats are for the "little people" pervades in a state that is overwhelmingly lower middle class.

It's not just that. Post 1930's in Oklahoma, there were a few things going on that affected a couple of generations of Oklahoma voters who are just now dying out or softening up their stance:

1. First, the Democratic machine had things locked up so it was almost impossible to win as a non-Democratic candidate.
2. One of Oklahoma's main industries was servicing (or being serviced by, really) the federal government. Oklahoma has boatloads of lakes. Ever wonder why? Most of them aren't natural. Tinker, Altus, Vance, Fort Sill... It used to be that if you sent a Dem to Capital Hill, he'd come home with money and jobs. And back then, this was very important to Oklahoma.
3. For awhile there, Oklahoma had some very powerful federal Democrats, which made #2 even more important. Particularly Robert Kerr (Finance and Public Works Commitees, served 1949-1963) and Carl Albert (Speaker of the House from 1971-1977, but very influential since Truman was President).
4. A lot of people give FDR flak because he presided over a large expansion in the power of the federal government, but here's something to keep in mind when you consider this: How many of the people who give FDR flak for that actually lived through the Great Depression? Hardworking people literally couldn't make a living. FDR's programs fed and employed people who otherwise wouldn't have been fed. People tend to remember that kind of thing for a long, long time.
(EDIT: as an aside, if you walk around the OU campus, you'll occassionally see "PWA" stamped into stuff. Main place I remember is a couple of cement sidewalk slabs just outside the Union. Old New Deal work projects can be found around Oklahoma to this day, even in the most unlikely of places.)
5. People were raised Democrat. On my father's side (the old school Oklahomans side -- they were here before statehood), everyone was indoctrinated from an early age. Some people were raised Democrat almost like they were raised Christian, if you take my meaning.

saucysoonergal
7/18/2006, 09:25 AM
Geezus, I was reading Pete Regan's very very short list of issues and I'm amused to see that old-school Democratic issues like paying in-state tuition to every B average student haven't gone away. Holy hell, how many kids is that? What the hell would be the cost of that and how's he going to pay for it? With that "alternative energy" boom he plans to bring to the state? Christ-o.

Also, I was checking out the website of one o the leading Democrats to replace Staggs..guy's name is Jeff Potts. He's a nice enough guy I suppose and he isn't Barbara Staggs so he has both of those things going for him.

Jeff Potts actually held that seat before. He had a couple of nasty campaigns against that old crazy dood that owned a cemical plant in Muskogee, I just can't remember the old coots name. They traded the seat back and forth. Potts is an anti-abortion democrat.
Barbara Staggs was a former Republican who saw the light. I can't imagine why you wouldn't like her, she is a warm caring person.

Mjcpr
7/18/2006, 09:32 AM
He had a couple of nasty campaigns against that old crazy dood that owned a cemical plant in Muskogee, I just can't remember the old coots name.

If it's who I'm thinking of, he owned Thunderbird Supply (or Chemical) or something like that on Main St. It was next door to my grandparents' grocery store which they had waaaaay back. I can't think of his name either....I want to say John something. John with an H.

Taxman71
7/18/2006, 10:12 AM
The Oklahoma Dems are being exterminated. First the house and most likely the Senate this fall. The gov is their last hope. They will pull out all stops to reelect Obi Won Henry. He already has $3.3 mil to spend.

Also, if every voter actually met and knew the candidates for Lt. Governor, Jerri Askins would win easily. However, the 2 minute ads that shape people's votes don't reflect that.

saucysoonergal
7/18/2006, 10:32 AM
If it's who I'm thinking of, he owned Thunderbird Supply (or Chemical) or something like that on Main St. It was next door to my grandparents' grocery store which they had waaaaay back. I can't think of his name either....I want to say John something. John with an H.

Thats him, John something, My dad was working in the Potts camp and this guy (the old coot) went around saying my dad was a homo with Potts...

Another thing he did was bring in some hootcie cootcie gals, tell them to go braless and had them wear cropped Potts t-shirts and then jump up and down on street corners holding Potts signs... He was a crazy mean old coot, but that was funny.

I believe Jeff's younger bro, got caught tearing up John whatshisname's signs up...That is some funny stuff

I also heard a rumor that once a funeral director ran against the old guy and the old guy started rumors that the FD got busy with the dead people, and the poor fellow got run out of town.

Mjcpr
7/18/2006, 10:37 AM
Moms will know....I'll tell you who it is when I hear back. :D

saucysoonergal
7/18/2006, 10:43 AM
Another funny thing, that old John guy showed up at my sister's house doing the door to door vote getting thing after he called my Dad Gay, and my sister called him on it, he fessed up and apologized saying that in the heat of campaigning, things get said that shouldn't and he was really sorry, and please vote for me! ;)

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
7/18/2006, 12:27 PM
The Oklahoma Dems are being exterminated. First the house and most likely the Senate this fall. The gov is their last hope. They will pull out all stops to reelect Obi Won Henry. He already has $3.3 mil to spend.

Also, if every voter actually met and knew the candidates for Lt. Governor, Jerri Askins would win easily. However, the 2 minute ads that shape people's votes don't reflect that.Jari is a quality candidate and easily the most qualified for the position.

Mjcpr
7/18/2006, 12:28 PM
Moms will know....I'll tell you who it is when I hear back. :D

John Monks is the guy you're thinking of.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
7/18/2006, 12:29 PM
John Monks is the guy you're thinking of.Is he the one who held up a coffee mug "made by chinks" on the floor of the House?

Mjcpr
7/18/2006, 12:30 PM
Is he the one who held up a coffee mug "made by chinks" on the floor of the House?

I don't know but like saucy said, he's a kook so probably.

SicEmBaylor
7/18/2006, 12:42 PM
Jeff Potts actually held that seat before. He had a couple of nasty campaigns against that old crazy dood that owned a cemical plant in Muskogee, I just can't remember the old coots name. They traded the seat back and forth. Potts is an anti-abortion democrat.
Barbara Staggs was a former Republican who saw the light. I can't imagine why you wouldn't like her, she is a warm caring person.

I'm intimately familiar with her district. ;)

frankensooner
7/18/2006, 01:29 PM
Yes, he made the "Chinks" remark. He said if I wanted to insult them, I would have called them slopes. Yeah, John Monks was the guy. He was in charge of the Pages back in the day. A fellow I know that was a former rep from Lawton told me that he had to get into his desk one day and he had Klan tracts in his drawer.