PDA

View Full Version : Leasing mineral rights - what's the dealio?

Chuck Bao
7/15/2006, 03:45 AM
What's the dealio here.

Local peeps say the oil companies are leasing and they say the county courthouse in Marshall Co. has like 10-15 oil lease fellas trying to trace back who owned what way back when and who all inherited what where and can they all agree.

Is that like elsewhere in the state?

I read about this last year in the Wall Street Journal about these oil lease dudes like trying to outdo each other in Texas to get all the legal mineral right owners figured out and getting them all to sign on a dotted line.

I'm thinking that wouldn't be such a bad job. The history of the land/mineral purchases is interesting in itself. But, these guys get to play like Santa Claus sometimes.

The oil companies are like profiteering at this point, well in my humble opinion they are. This is like a tax write-off and a boon to Okie Homies, or are they really thinking about developing more of that natural gas and a pipeline to ship it elsewhere?

Didn't somebody post here about like 5 counties in the state that didn't have oil or natural gas? Well, I'm really sorry about that. I just want to tell them that they should, instead, concentrate on developing really good football players.

Vaevictis
7/15/2006, 04:34 AM
This is like a tax write-off and a boon to Okie Homies, or are they really thinking about developing more of that natural gas and a pipeline to ship it elsewhere?

They're probably just getting their ducks in a row at this point. With oil prices rising, they're probably betting that oil that was previously too expensive to extract will become profitable.

If the price of oil keeps rising, expect to see those wells get developed. If not, well, the cost to lease rights isn't all that expensive to a company like, say, Exxon-Mobil.

BajaOklahoma
7/15/2006, 04:56 AM
My brother is a landman. He spent most of the last year buying leases out-of-state. And it continues this year.
Last year was the best ever for him. And this year is continuing very strong.