PDA

View Full Version : Comcast leaving?

BajaOklahoma
7/14/2006, 07:26 PM
The Verizon guy just came by wanting us to switch over. He said that Comcast is leaving the Dallas area the end of August. And we will get Time-Werner. Have I just missed out on this notification?

Widescreen
7/14/2006, 07:27 PM
Switch to Verizon. Stat. I wish we could get Verizon here but we're stuck with SBC. :mad:

And, yes, Comcast is being replaced by TW.

BajaOklahoma
7/14/2006, 08:08 PM
I am so mad....
Thanks Widescreen.

mrowl
7/14/2006, 08:19 PM
tv = directv

internet = verizon fios (kicks ***)

phone = vonage

Widescreen
7/14/2006, 09:17 PM
I haven't personally had FIOS TV but based on what I've read, I'd choose that over any other provider if it was available to me. Their prices are extremely good.

mrowl
7/14/2006, 09:21 PM
I haven't personally had FIOS TV but based on what I've read, I'd choose that over any other provider if it was available to me. Their prices are extremely good.

Their prices are good, but it is still VERY buggy, my parents have it, and are not happy. (early user problems)

It should get very good as they work out the bugs though.

BajaOklahoma
7/14/2006, 10:32 PM
I've been looking at what they have available, so we will probably switch.
Thanks for the help.
I am not fond of TW.

Stanley1
7/14/2006, 10:41 PM
Can I use my TiVo while having cable internet? How will it update? Thats the only thing keeping me from making MAJOR switches to both my cable and internet services.

BajaOklahoma
7/14/2006, 11:45 PM
Can I use my TiVo while having cable internet? How will it update? Thats the only thing keeping me from making MAJOR switches to both my cable and internet services.

Call the service you are interested in and ask.

mrowl
7/15/2006, 09:15 AM

yes, if its just a tivo. you can plug a wireless adaptor into the back. But it has to be a certain type, check out www.tivocommunity.com

TheHumanAlphabet
7/16/2006, 12:57 AM
Not in Dallas, but isn't this part of the Adelphia cable buy up and market readjustment? Part of the sale required, or allowed the two to consolidate markets and to prevent wide geographic splits...

I have TW in Houston and it works my TiVo fine. I set mine up to record the lower 80 channels as it reduced the cabling requirements...

I would use a hard-wired connection to your computer. I plan to do that as they sadi the updates are faster on a wire vs. wireless. Once connected to the net, you can change your recording schedule if you are traveling...

TinCup5150
7/16/2006, 02:43 AM
The Verizon guy just came by wanting us to switch over. He said that Comcast is leaving the Dallas area the end of August. And we will get Time-Werner. Have I just missed out on this notification?

You will not be happy with Time-Warner as their customer service is lacking.:(

TheHumanAlphabet
7/16/2006, 02:48 AM
I've never had a problem with customer service in Houston. Several calls to the house, repaired cable cut (by yours truly) and service call to install high-speed innerweb (which we aren't using yet as we haven't upgraded our computer)...Perhaps it is the region of the country in which you live (as noted by your location)?

colleyvillesooner
7/16/2006, 08:57 AM
You will not be happy with Time-Warner as their customer service is lacking.:(

Have you ever dealt with Comcast? There is NO WAY it will be worse than that.

Scott D
7/16/2006, 12:31 PM

oh grasshopper....grasshopper.

Howzit
7/17/2006, 09:17 AM
We're switching to Verizon fios next month for both TV and internet. I think their combined beat Comcast's combined by about $15 a month, and that is comparing Verizon didgital TV service to Comcast analog (or whatever non-digital would be).

Tear Down This Wall
7/17/2006, 11:59 AM

Post of the Year. No wait...Post of the Decade.

Comcast can go hug a nut for all I care.

Widescreen
7/17/2006, 12:41 PM
We're switching to Verizon fios next month for both TV and internet. I think their combined beat Comcast's combined by about $15 a month, and that is comparing Verizon didgital TV service to Comcast analog (or whatever non-digital would be).
Lucky. :(

Unless SBC gets bought by Verizon or I move, I'll never be able to get FIOS.

salth2o
8/2/2006, 11:27 AM
TW is leaving the Houston market and COMCAST is replacing them. Is there anything positive that can be said about COMCAST?

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=local&id=4423119

TheHumanAlphabet
8/2/2006, 11:53 AM
Yikes! Hadn't heard that one...

Widescreen
8/2/2006, 12:25 PM
Is there anything positive that can be said about COMCAST?

They're somewhat less evil than Satan. There you go.