PDA

View Full Version : My poor sick puppy

TopDaugIn2000
7/14/2006, 05:24 PM
he's been barfing and has had the trots (BAD) since wednesday. I took him to the vet hospital when they opened at 7:30 this a.m. After 2.5 hours of poking and prodding tests and $300 later, they called it a "Gastrointestinal bacterial infection". They gave him a shot for the vomiting, a liquid for me to give him for his stomach, a "fluid treatment" injection, an antiobiotic shot and more sent him in liquid form. I also have to squirt water down his throat every hour or so just to keep him hydrated. HE IS ONE TIRED PUPPY. and I'm ONE TIRED MOM.

poor baby.

BlondeSoonerGirl
7/14/2006, 05:33 PM
Oh, geeez...

I had to do the same a long time ago to a Pit Bull after she decided that it would be a good idea to grab a skunk and shake it until it's guts flew everywhere. She ingested so much of the oily stank it poisoned her. Had to force Pedialyte down her throat with a turkey baster for 3 days.

Not. Fun.

Hope yours gets better soon... :(

TopDaugIn2000
7/14/2006, 05:36 PM
I wondered about getting some pedialyte, but the vet didn't say anything about it. just using water now. might get some though, since you said that.

she said if he doesn't improve, they'll have to keep him and put him on an IV. I wanna do anything I can to prevent that from happening.

LilSooner
7/14/2006, 05:42 PM
Awww. Poor guy. We have a shih-tzu who will turn 16 in November. He has been puking like crazy (he has a TON of health problems) we put pedialyte in his water (un flavored) that seems to help.

Poor little guy they told us two weeks ago to put him down because his kidneys were almost at complete failure, well we didn't and he had his blood test yesterday and he is now in the best health that he has been in the last 2 years.

Vet just shook her head.

mdklatt
7/14/2006, 05:48 PM
he's been barfing and has had the trots (BAD) since wednesday.

You didn't feed him a Sonic breakfast burrito, did you?

TopDaugIn2000
7/14/2006, 06:47 PM
called the vet, she said the pedialyte would be just fine, so I went to the store and got some. just started giving him that.

good idea about putting a little in the water, I'll do that for the next few days.

so glad your little one is doing well Lil, they are so precious and really part of the family. it's crazy.

MamaMia
7/14/2006, 10:05 PM
BSG, Thats a great tip about the pedialyte. I'll have to keep that in mind.

TopDawg, I hope your little puppy will be feeling better soon. I will ask St. Martin to watch over him.

LilSooner, your Shih Tzu has been in my thoughts and prayers. I will keep him there.

GottaHavePride
7/14/2006, 10:58 PM
When I was a kid I never would drink Pedialyte because it tasted nasty. I went for Gatorade.

slickdawg
7/14/2006, 10:59 PM
he's been barfing and has had the trots (BAD) since wednesday. I took him to the vet hospital when they opened at 7:30 this a.m. After 2.5 hours of poking and prodding tests and $300 later, they called it a "Gastrointestinal bacterial infection". They gave him a shot for the vomiting, a liquid for me to give him for his stomach, a "fluid treatment" injection, an antiobiotic shot and more sent him in liquid form. I also have to squirt water down his throat every hour or so just to keep him hydrated. HE IS ONE TIRED PUPPY. and I'm ONE TIRED MOM.

poor baby.

Hope he gets well TD, sick babies are no fun, even the four legged ones!

BajaOklahoma
7/14/2006, 11:48 PM
TD, when does the pupper go back in for a recheck?
I have to agree with Slick - it is the pits.

LoyalFan
7/15/2006, 01:42 AM
For you, TD.

http://search.netscape.com/ns/boomframe.jsp?query=rudyard+kipling+dog+poem&page=2&offset=1&result_url=redir%3Fsrc%3Dwebsearch%26requestId%3D9 1d09b601a5faf2c%26clickedItemRank%3D16%26userQuery %3Drudyard%2Bkipling%2Bdog%2Bpoem%26clickedItemURN %3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.famouspoetsandpoems.com% 252Fpoets%252Frudyard_kipling%252Fpoems%252F20792% 26invocationType%3Dnext%26fromPage%3DNSCPNextPrevB %26amp%3BampTest%3D1&remove_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.famouspoetsandpoems.co m%2Fpoets%2Frudyard_kipling%2Fpoems%2F20792

My prayers for your mutt's wellbeing! On the way!

LF

TopDaugIn2000
7/15/2006, 12:11 PM
well, we were up 'til about 3:00 this morning going in and out and in and out. Had to clean him off after every trip outside too. poor baby.

finally got to sleep about 3:30 and the alarm went off at 6:00 cause I was planning on going on the Norman Conquest bike ride. Needless to say, I stayed in BED!

we slept 'til about 11:00 and then he actually ate a little bite. made me happy!

if he doesn't improve by monday, he has to go back and they will keep him. hopefully that won't have to happen.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
7/15/2006, 03:52 PM
hope he gets better

BajaOklahoma
7/15/2006, 04:23 PM
TD, there is a recipe our vet had us use for recooperating dogs. It's easy on the stomach and low residue. We've used it after the dog's intestinal surgery and for dogs with stomach aches.

1 pound chicken or hamburger, boiled and drained
1 cup rice, cooked according to package directions
2 hard boiled eggs, shelled
2 tablespoons light karo syrup
Shred meat/chicken. It is critical to drain the fat off, so boiling the meat is recommended.
Cook the rice according to directions on the box. One cup of uncooked rice will make approximately 3 cups cooked rice.
Mix all the prepared ingredients and refrigerate. Warm before feeding.
Offer small amounts 5-6 times daily. When directed, begin mixing the hamburger and rice with his normal food in a 50/50 mixture, 2 or 3 times daily. The next step is back to a regular diet.

Good luck and I hope it goes well.

slickdawg
7/15/2006, 05:01 PM
well, we were up 'til about 3:00 this morning going in and out and in and out. Had to clean him off after every trip outside too. poor baby.

finally got to sleep about 3:30 and the alarm went off at 6:00 cause I was planning on going on the Norman Conquest bike ride. Needless to say, I stayed in BED!

we slept 'til about 11:00 and then he actually ate a little bite. made me happy!

if he doesn't improve by monday, he has to go back and they will keep him. hopefully that won't have to happen.

If he's even got a hint of an appetite, that's a good thing. When they won't
eat, that's when it seems to be much worse.

Hope he has a quick and full recovery!

TopDaugIn2000
7/15/2006, 05:10 PM
TD, there is a recipe our vet had us use for recooperating dogs. It's easy on the stomach and low residue. We've used it after the dog's intestinal surgery and for dogs with stomach aches.

1 pound chicken or hamburger, boiled and drained
1 cup rice, cooked according to package directions
2 hard boiled eggs, shelled
2 tablespoons light karo syrup
Shred meat/chicken. It is critical to drain the fat off, so boiling the meat is recommended.
Cook the rice according to directions on the box. One cup of uncooked rice will make approximately 3 cups cooked rice.
Mix all the prepared ingredients and refrigerate. Warm before feeding.
Offer small amounts 5-6 times daily. When directed, begin mixing the hamburger and rice with his normal food in a 50/50 mixture, 2 or 3 times daily. The next step is back to a regular diet.

Good luck and I hope it goes well.

yeah, the vet told me to boil chicken and rice and do as you said....several times a day, yadda yadda yadda. well, he's so PICKY he never eats rice, so I just boiled him a chicken breast yesterday and put a few bites out at a time. he's had several little bites today, so that is a good sign.

the karo confuses me though, isn't that used as a laxative in babies?

olevetonahill
7/15/2006, 05:31 PM
In this case I would think it would be for the quick energy boost
Just guessing
Good luck with thw lil one

BajaOklahoma
7/15/2006, 05:50 PM
yeah, the vet told me to boil chicken and rice and do as you said....several times a day, yadda yadda yadda. well, he's so PICKY he never eats rice, so I just boiled him a chicken breast yesterday and put a few bites out at a time. he's had several little bites today, so that is a good sign.

the karo confuses me though, isn't that used as a laxative in babies?

Next time, use the water from boiling the chicken or hamburger to make the rice. Mine love plain rice it I cook it this way.

Karo syrup is corn syrup, so I can't use it on Ben with his thousands of allergies. It's there for the carbs, though you can omit it IMO. And this is low residue, so there isn't going to be much to pass at the other end.

There are some people who swear by canned pumpkin puree (not the pie filling) for diarrhea. One to two tablespoons given over a day. It nhelps with constipation as the pumpkin absorbs water to keep the stool loose, but in absorbing water it also decreases diarrhea. Ben threw it up, which is gross.

TopDaugIn2000
7/15/2006, 05:55 PM
ok, I might try a little rice too, cause I"ve heard that's good for the runs.

pumpkin, eww, can't see it. he'd HATE that. lol (and I'd probably hate cleaning it up!!!!!)

Okla-homey
7/15/2006, 06:04 PM
Hang in there kiddo and remember: "a dog is life, not just for Christmas." Sounds like you're already bought-in.:D

TopDaugIn2000
7/15/2006, 06:07 PM
oh I'm well aware of that.

He's already 6 years old, so hard for me to believe.

I lost my last one while I was visiting LA several years ago. She got Hemolitic (sp?) anemia and there was nothing they could do quick enough to save her. It was such a difficult time, and my mom happened to be keeping her during that time.

BajaOklahoma
7/15/2006, 07:43 PM
:eddie:
ok, I might try a little rice too, cause I"ve heard that's good for the runs.

pumpkin, eww, can't see it. he'd HATE that. lol (and I'd probably hate cleaning it up!!!!!)

Their is a group that believes that rice water helps with diarrhea. Boil it down and give them up to 1/2 cup (for a large dog) per day. Never have been able to get one of the mutts to buy into to that one.

TopDaugIn2000
7/15/2006, 07:46 PM
I made a little rice with chicken broth, and he ate a tiny bit with the chicken. sure better than nothing I guess!

so far he's only gone once today. keeping my fingers crossed he'll have a better night than last night.

BajaOklahoma
7/15/2006, 07:58 PM
I would stop feeding him for the day, very soon. That will help you both have a quiet night.

TopDaugIn2000
7/15/2006, 08:00 PM
yeah, he's done for the night.