PDA

View Full Version : ATM deposits

mdklatt
7/14/2006, 02:00 PM
Do any of you ever deposit checks at an ATM? Ever have problems? This has never seemed like a good idea to me, but bankers' hours are the suck.

1stTimeCaller
7/14/2006, 02:04 PM
I've only made about 4 deposits that way and have never had a problem. Come to think of it, the last 4 times I've had to make a deposit I used the ATM. I rarely have anything to deposit.

toast
7/14/2006, 02:07 PM
From the title, I thought this thread was going to be about College Station cadets and sheep.

skycat
7/14/2006, 02:08 PM
I've done it a few times over the years. Never had a problem. At the very least you get a receipt on the spot, which makes it as good as a night deposit slot in my book.

etouffee
7/14/2006, 02:08 PM
done it hundreds of times, never had a problem. there's really not much that can go wrong, other than you making an error when you key in the deposit amount. and you've eliminated the possibility of a live teller making such an error.

mdklatt
7/14/2006, 02:10 PM
done it hundreds of times, never had a problem. there's really not much that can go wrong, other than you making an error when you key in the deposit amount. and you've eliminated the possibility of a live teller making such an error.

But if something does go wrong it's just your word against...your word. There's no independent verification.

Mjcpr
7/14/2006, 02:19 PM
But if something does go wrong it's just your word against...your word. There's no independent verification.

Except that you get a receipt and once the check is cashed you can trace it that way if there is a problem.

yermom
7/14/2006, 02:19 PM
i've never had a problem, but if i was depositing a big check, i'd do it by hand

Mjcpr
7/14/2006, 02:21 PM
i've never had a problem, but if i was depositing a big check, i'd do it by hand

You're thinking of VK and her robster toes, we're helping mdlkatt at this time.

King Crimson
7/14/2006, 02:28 PM
i do it all the time, beats waiting in line and the printed receipt is right there. in fact, the only time i've ever had a problem with a deposit was when i did it in person in the lobby. it didn't post for 5-6 days and i had written a rent check and some bills based on the amount....and got hosed.

also, i had a box of checks sent to an old addy which was a mistake made by a teller (since i was receiving my statements at the new addy, and that addy was printed on my last box of checks). after about 3 weeks and they didn't come....i had to waste a couple hours of my life complaining about it...and they (BankOne/Chase now) were gonna still charge me for the box of checks THEY sent to the wrong address.

Vaevictis
7/14/2006, 09:43 PM

I've entered in less than I actually deposited in an ATM, and they corrected it. Apparently, they have someone double-check them.

If you deposit at an ATM at an actual bank, there's really almost no difference between that and depositing with a teller; it's just that with one, a teller deals with the deposit immediately, and with the other, a teller deals with it whenever they clear out the ATM.

At a third party location, who knows. I never deposit at third party locations.

OUinFLA
7/14/2006, 10:23 PM

you have a lot or experience doing "it by hand" ?