PDA

View Full Version : Favorite and Least Fav. Sports Journalist

soonerhubs
7/14/2006, 01:26 PM
Just listened to the Pod-Cast with Ivan Maisel and some other guy interviewing the Great Stoops. And I have frequently read posts knocking sports Journalists. Be it Ivan Maisel, Stewart Mandel, or in Television the likes of Dan Fouts and Brent Musburger. I've not noticed much praise for these folks, but I think there are probably some good ones out there.

My Favorite: Ivan Maisel (he seems unbiased and although I don't agree with him every time, I think he's more level headed than others)

My Least Favorite: Dan Foutz (He just seems so egotistical, and his voice bugs me.)

What's yours?

TheGodfather889
7/14/2006, 01:33 PM
Brad Nessler is my favorite announcer. But I have alot of journalists I hate. I hate Dan Lebatard,Matt Hayes,Colin Cowherd and Jay Mariotti. Even though only one of those guys covers college football fulltime. I have to list the others.

GDC
7/14/2006, 01:35 PM
The late Bill Conners of the Tulsa World was far and away my favorite of all time.

Least favorite? There's too many.

Stephen A. Smith probably, or Mariotti, or that one that had it in for the Sooners at SI.

Mjcpr
7/14/2006, 01:36 PM
Um, ******?

King Crimson
7/14/2006, 01:46 PM
i give Maisel some cred since he responded to my email about Jerry Tubbs being left off his "all-numbers" team....with a "yeah you're right, yup, that was an oversight".

Mike DeCourcey in hoops i dislike. pretty much everyone on Denver sports radio blows the Broncos 24/7 and have no credibility whatsoever.

I used to really like Bob Kemp when he was on nationally....even though he made no friends with OU fans (then) by bashing Blake constantly.

i won't say i like him, but Seth Davis has surprised me a couple times by mentioning/crediting other sites he uses for rpi info (unlike Joe "the hack" Lunardi who acts like he pulls all his info out of his godlike mind)....and being pretty straight up about being wrong at times...and giving Van's Pig Stand a plug in his column.

and Jim Nantz is the most annoying person on earth who thinks he's the Shakespeare of sports.

soonerhubs
7/14/2006, 02:02 PM
Um, ******?
**** and ******* were also known for ******.

stonecoldsoonerfan
7/14/2006, 02:44 PM
http://static.newsok.biz/oldimages/images/columnists/story_mug_jcarlson.jpg

867-5309

King Crimson
7/14/2006, 02:50 PM
http://static.newsok.biz/oldimages/images/columnists/story_mug_jcarlson.jpg

-

:texan:

soonerboy_odanorth
7/14/2006, 03:12 PM
I like Maisel as well.

I despise both Deinhart and Hayes of the Sporting News. They have to be the two most ignorant college football writers in the country. They rarely get anything right, and Deinhart especially is a Texas jock-sniffer.

My fave in TV land pretty easily is Ron Franklin on ESPN.

Crimsonfan1245
7/14/2006, 03:14 PM
BTW, the guy from Oklahoma city who asked the question was me :D

CU Sooner
7/14/2006, 03:21 PM
Maisel and Stewart Mandel are ok, but i think Herbstreit does a great job and i think he is pretty accurate. Now for the most annoying just go right next to him with Corso, he's as good an analyst as he was a coach. Of course with himbeing as bad as he is maybe herbstreit isn't as good as he seems. And one other thing, it sure is great not to hear trev alberts, hopefully he stays away.

tbl
7/14/2006, 03:23 PM
Is there anybody worse than Rick Renner????

Partial Qualifier
7/14/2006, 03:35 PM
Does Dean Blevins count as a journalist? :O

I've never seen someone waste so much time saying nothing at all.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
7/14/2006, 03:37 PM
The jerk-o*f who accused the '03 Sooners of running up the score against ATM, when the Aggies simply gave up, and we had 3rd stringers scoring on them.(I can't remember that bastige's name)We DID start playing worse after that ATM game, like we were scared to go full-throttle, until we went belly-up mysterious in the K-State big 12 title (7-35 game).

King Crimson
7/14/2006, 03:47 PM
Does Dean Blevins count as a journalist? :O

I've never seen someone waste so much time saying nothing at all.

see now: that's not true, Dean talks about himself all the time. i remember watching Blevins on the sidelines of maybe the Holiday Bowl in the mid/late 90's not denying the completely factually incorrect statement by the booth hosts that he had played an integral part in one of OU's national championships.....presumably 75.

i'd have liked to set myself on fire....and he just smiled that smug smile of his with faux-humility.

sooneron
7/14/2006, 04:09 PM
Rick Reilly for both

snp
7/14/2006, 05:06 PM
I hate pretty much every known journalist out there.

TheGodfather889
7/14/2006, 05:22 PM
The jerk-o*f who accused the '03 Sooners of running up the score against ATM, when the Aggies simply gave up, and we had 3rd stringers scoring on them.(I can't remember that bastige's name)We DID start playing worse after that ATM game, like we were scared to go full-throttle, until we went belly-up mysterious in the K-State big 12 title (7-35 game).
I believe that would be Mike ******.

The Maestro
7/14/2006, 05:32 PM
Colin Cowherd is the best radio guy for talk...unless you want all sports, all the time. Today he discussed things he doesn't understand. The national debt, why baseball managers are deemed as geniuses when it is all about payroll and pitching, Yankee pitching acquisitions. He always ties in real life "stuff"--but he's not just all sports. Funny guy.

Live outside Oklahoma and you will appreciate Barry Tramel. He writes with the state in mind. Gives you a sense of being back in Oklahoma every time you read his work. Appreciate his candidness in a classy way--basically, how he called out Kelvin Sampson but did it in a pro style.

AllAboutThe'O'
7/14/2006, 08:29 PM
I also enjoy reading Berry Tramel's columns. Probably my all-time favorite sportswriter was the late Orville Henry, the longtime sports editor of the Arkansas Gazette who also wrote for the Democrat-Gazette and the Morning News of Northwest Arkansas. He was kind of cut from the same cloth as Bill Connors was. Blackie Sherrod down in Dallas was another institution.

Probably since I work in the media industry, I don't really want to name some names, particularly on the local front, but I will call out a few I despise on the national level.

I'm with the other poster on Ric Renner, I wish he would move to Antarctica or some other godforsaken place and leave my sight. Probably my least favorite sportswriter on the national front is Jay Mariotti. For once, I sided with Ozzie Guillen.

I also hate Jim Nantz and Joe Buck with a passion. I wish Nantz would just stick to golf and while Buck isn't that bad on baseball, he's worse calling NFL games. Me thinks the only reason Buck is FOX's No. 1 NFL announcer is strictly because of who his father was. He hasn't paid enough dues, IMHO.

Another guy I truly despise is Dan Patrick. He's too smarmy and too know-it-all for my taste. To this day, I wish it was Patrick that left ESPN in a huff instead of Keith Olbermann.

Probably my favorite PBP guy of all time is Keith Jackson. I know he's never been a real popular man on this board, but to me, when I hear his voice, I know college football is in the air. He was better when he had Frank Broyles as his color man.

The best announcing team was Pat Summerall and John Madden, when they were on CBS in the 1980s. It started going a little downhill after they went to FOX. Others: Vin Scully-Joe Garagiola on NBC's MLB "Game of the Week," Dick Enberg-Merlin Olsen on NBC's NFL telecasts (Enberg and Al McGuire were pretty good too on college basketball), Verne Lundquist-Bill Raftery doing NCAA tournament games on CBS and Mark Holtz-Eric Nadel doing the Texas Ranger games on radio.

The worst announcing team, hands down, Jim Nantz and Billy Packer (college hoops) with Nantz and Phil Simms (NFL) running a close second.

chbrew09
7/14/2006, 09:30 PM
Bill Simmons, ESPN.com, badass

TheGodfather889
7/15/2006, 12:52 PM
I know a really bad one. Sean Salisbury on espn. He's so biased when it comes to USC it just irritates me.

Big Red Ron
7/15/2006, 08:44 PM
Kieth Jackson is a blowhard ********* with an absolutely great voice.

Jenny Carlson is the posterchild for why affirmative action is wrong.

I really like the guy on PTI.

AllAboutThe'O'
7/16/2006, 07:29 PM
I really like the guy on PTI.
Which one, Tony or Mike?

BTW, I much prefer Tony over Mike.

opksooner
7/16/2006, 07:58 PM
The jerk-o*f who accused the '03 Sooners of running up the score against ATM.....That would be Mike Loo Pee Kah.

If were talking about print media, Joe Posnanski of the Kansas City Star is pretty salty.....and he's won a Pulitzer Prize, too.

Collier11
7/16/2006, 08:07 PM
Fav: Mike Patrick, Herbie, and Nessler, least fav: Trev alberts-fired :), ,mark may, dean blevins, Jenni Carlson

SoonerForever
7/16/2006, 08:40 PM
Kellen Winslow.................................Best has got to be Mike Trepps and John Brooks

goingoneight
7/16/2006, 08:52 PM
Aaron Taylor is honest and is always sure to use the phrases "I believe, One would think, etc." You know he's not just running his mouth because of pride or because he wants to p!ss someone off...

Speaking of diarrhea of the mouth... I DESPISE CORSO. I hate people who get rich for being an idiot like him.

Big Red Ron
7/16/2006, 09:12 PM
Which one, Tony or Mike?

BTW, I much prefer Tony over Mike.Tony

recruiter
7/16/2006, 09:28 PM
Bill Conners number one.

Jaymes Hail is my least favorite.

Big Red Ron
7/16/2006, 09:32 PM
Locally, Mark Rogers is bad.

Sooner24
7/16/2006, 10:06 PM
Barry Tramel. That piece he wrote the other day about his grandkid or whatever that was is worse then any crap Jenni Carlson has written to date.

the OOF
7/17/2006, 11:42 AM
perhaps i missed it but i didn't see anyone mention skip bayless. he's the epitome of creating shock value no matter how big of an *** he makes himself out to be. it's sad that he's an okie, too. he actually was a very good columnist when he worked for the DMN.

i dig the PTI guys, woody paige and herbstreit.

and, absolutely loved guillen's remarks towards mariotti.

BOOMER SOONER!

the OOF
7/17/2006, 11:52 AM
keepin' the facts straight. the a** hat bayless was a columnist for the dallas times herald, not the DMN.

BOOMER SOONER!

soonerinabilene
7/17/2006, 12:03 PM
i really like the pti guys. least favorite is a tie between corso and lou "needs a spitguard" holtz

Jason White's Third Knee
7/17/2006, 02:42 PM
Is there anybody worse than Rick Renner????

Yes. Paul Maguire. What a jerk. Mark May is a racist idiot, though.

Sooner24
7/17/2006, 05:18 PM
Yes. Paul Maguire. What a jerk. Mark May is a racist idiot, though.

Mark May is a rookie compared to Jason Whitlock.

Sooner24
7/17/2006, 05:23 PM
Actually I don't think Mark May is racist.

sooneron
7/17/2006, 11:04 PM
Another guy I truly despise is Dan Patrick. He's too smarmy and too know-it-all for my taste. To this day, I wish it was Patrick that left ESPN in a huff instead of Keith Olbermann.

You obviously don't know that Keith was the guy that was too big for espn.