PDA

View Full Version : Sarasota, FL

GottaHavePride
7/14/2006, 12:48 PM
Their orchestra has a trombone position open. I think I'll send hem a resume.

Of course, the Los Angeles Phil also has a job opening, so I think I'm going to see if they'll let me come play at them too.

BlondeSoonerGirl
7/14/2006, 12:48 PM
GO, GHP!!!

GottaHavePride
7/14/2006, 12:52 PM
Heh. Getting an audition is easy. Winning one, now that's hard. I am currently 0 for 10. But I was a finalist in Oregon, so maybe I'll get taken slightly more seriously at these.

crawfish
7/14/2006, 12:54 PM
We had an opening for a trombone player in our plumbing department, but we just filled it. Sorry.

Boarder
7/14/2006, 12:55 PM
If you ever became a Maestro, would you demand to be called Maestro?

crawfish
7/14/2006, 01:00 PM
We had an opening for a trombone player in our plumbing department, but we just filled it. Sorry.

Get it? "Filled it"? Hahaha, I'm a riot.

SoonerInKCMO
7/14/2006, 01:02 PM
If you can pick up the violin, bass or 'horn' (they don't specify what kind on the website :confused: ) in the next few weeks, the Topeka Symphony is looking for people. ;)

OUDoc
7/14/2006, 01:02 PM
tromboner

yermom
7/14/2006, 01:22 PM

what about wearing pants?

GottaHavePride
7/14/2006, 01:34 PM
If you can pick up the violin, bass or 'horn' (they don't specify what kind on the website :confused: ) in the next few weeks, the Topeka Symphony is looking for people. ;)

They mean French horn. uppity musicians get in the "it's not really from France so don't call it French!" arguments. You know, like Star Trek geeks get all mad if you call it a laser gun. ;)

SoonerInKCMO
7/14/2006, 01:57 PM
What about people that play the English Horn... do they call it English? If not, do the French and English horn players ever confuse themselves for one another?

GottaHavePride
7/14/2006, 02:04 PM
Nah, English horn is like an overgrown oboe. Although I don't know that there's anything particularly English about that one either. ;)

Edit: according to wikipedia English horn is a translation of the French term cor anglais (english horn) but they think that term is just a misspelling or mispronuncation of cor angle (bent horn). So wikipedia thinks it's called English because the French can't even spell their own damn language correctly. :D

crawfish
7/14/2006, 02:06 PM
A Bass Trombone also has absolutely NOTHING to do with fish, btw.

BlondeSoonerGirl
7/14/2006, 02:07 PM
Nah, English horn is like an overgrown oboe. Although I don't know that there's anything particularly English about that one either. ;)

Edit: according to wikipedia English horn is a translation of the French term cor anglais (english horn) but they think that term is just a misspelling or mispronuncation of cor angle (bent horn). So wikipedia thinks it's called English because the French can't even spell their own damn language correctly. :D

Noocular Horn.

:D

mdklatt
7/14/2006, 02:07 PM
They have beaches!

GottaHavePride
7/14/2006, 02:10 PM

Oh, and no. I would demand to be known as The Dude.

Beef
7/14/2006, 02:12 PM
I've been playing the stinkhorn like a champion since I got back from lunch.

JohnnyMack
7/14/2006, 03:12 PM
My woman is from Sarasota. We just went down for a little vacation in May. Great town. Terrific town. If you're going to live in Florida it's one of the few places that make sense.

Also, we had dinner at a restaurant and Dick Vitale sat next to us. He lives there.

OUDoc
7/14/2006, 03:15 PM
Also, we had dinner at a restaurant and Dick Vitale sat next to us. He lives there.
Good reason to never go to Sarasota.

GottaHavePride
7/14/2006, 03:56 PM
My woman is from Sarasota. We just went down for a little vacation in May. Great town. Terrific town. If you're going to live in Florida it's one of the few places that make sense.

Good. I was underwhelmed by Jacksonville when I went to audition there. Speaking of, that position (that I just auditioned for in April) is open again. I may see if they'll give me another shot this time around.

JohnnyMack
7/14/2006, 04:05 PM
Good. I was underwhelmed by Jacksonville when I went to audition there. Speaking of, that position (that I just auditioned for in April) is open again. I may see if they'll give me another shot this time around.

If you end up heading down, lemme know. I'll give you some ideas of places to go.

And the beaches right there are quite honestly some of the best in the country.

GottaHavePride
7/14/2006, 04:06 PM
Cool! Thanks.

Okla-homey
7/14/2006, 04:06 PM
Okay, Homey is gonna break it down for you b/c you seem like a nice young man and no one else seems to be willing to fill your clue bag.

Question: Does anyone get a orchestra gig by applying to open auditions who lacks any connection to anyone affiliated with said orchestra? I'm thinking musicos, being like most folks, hire their buds or people known to their buds or their sister's kid or their cousin's brother-in-laws nephew. IOW, the gig is already filled when they schedule the auditions. They just have to go thru the motions in order for it to "looK" legit.

Now, I could be wrong, but I consider myself a reasonably astute student of humanity. If I'm right, you would be better off succing up to some orchestra-type big wig or at least a respected member of an orchestra with whom you would like to join rather than running hither and yon to these musical cattle calls.

Just saying.

Mjcpr
7/14/2006, 04:09 PM
That sound you hear is the wind going out of GHP's sails.

Damn Homey, you're harsh.

Okla-homey
7/14/2006, 04:12 PM
That sound you hear is the wind going out of GHP's sails.

Damn Homey, you're harsh.

Honestly. I could see a guy getting a gig with the "Bug Tussle Banjo and Jug Band" from an open audition, but a serious orchestra like one he'd like to join?...I bet them babies are all done from the inside.

Howzit
7/14/2006, 04:18 PM
EJ, if you have time swing over to Clearwater. A little bit younger crowd, a little cheaper, and really nice beaches. There's a Pier forty-something on Mandaly that often has music and artsy stuff going on...

Yes, it's pretty touristy, but then again, you'll be a tourist.

IB4OU2
7/14/2006, 04:20 PM
EJ, if you have time swing over to Clearwater. A little bit younger crowd, a little cheaper, and really nice beaches. There's a Pier forty-something on Mandaly that often has music and artsy stuff going on...

There's a hospice on about every other corner too.......

GottaHavePride
7/14/2006, 04:21 PM
Question: Does anyone get a orchestra gig by applying to open auditions who lacks any connection to anyone affiliated with said orchestra?

Actually yeah, pretty regularly. Especially in the big orchestras - the home-cooking tends to happen more in the smaller orchestras. A 20-year-old girl just won the tuba position in the Philadelphia Orchestra straight out of undergrad at University of Michigan. the big orchestras don't care who you are or where you come from if you can play. But when it comes down to a few guys that are all about equally good they'll go with the guy with more experience.

Here's what happens: when everyone sends in resumes they assign auditon times - the people with a lot of experience, or the ones on the "short list", either get put through straight to the second round, or they're put at the very end of the first round so they don't have to wait around all day. The peons get the early times. It's not impossible to move on from an early time slot, but you have to play well enough that they think you can keep up with the guys they have coming in later.

the other big difference between the "short list" and the peons is that the bigwigs have already developed the mental focus to just not make mistakes. Ever. I'm not quite there yet, so I have to hope for a little luck to get through to later rounds.

GottaHavePride
7/14/2006, 04:22 PM

I'll keep it in mind - the audition won't be until September, so I probably won't have a whole lot of time for goofing off while I'm there. ;)

Howzit
7/14/2006, 04:25 PM
I'll keep it in mind - the audition won't be until September, so I probably won't have a whole lot of time for goofing off while I'm there. ;)

Well if the audition's not until September, go now and you've got LOTS of time for goofing off. Plus, apparently, plenty of hospices should one be required.

hurricane'bone
7/14/2006, 05:13 PM
Well...at least your Caddy will fit in.

yermom
7/14/2006, 05:27 PM
heh

GottaHavePride
7/14/2006, 05:29 PM
Well...at least your Caddy will fit in.

:rcmad: