PDA

View Full Version : Weezer Done?

yermom
7/13/2006, 09:58 PM
http://music.yahoo.com/read/news/34015722

Rivers Cuomo says Weezer is 'done'

07/13/2006 5:20 PM, AP

Rivers Cuomo says that, for now, Weezer is "done." Cuomo, the band's bespectacled songwriter and frontman, told MTV that while he remains in touch with his bandmates, "we've never mentioned getting together."

"Really, for the moment, we are done," he said. "And I'm not certain we'll ever make a record again, unless it becomes really obvious to me that we need to do one."

Weezer has released five albums since forming in 1993. The group took a considerable break between 1996's "Pinkerton" and 2001's self-titled disc (typically called "The Green Album"). The band's last release was "Make Believe," in 2005.

The liner notes of that album led to conjecture that it was Weezer's last. They included a quote from a parting soliloquy in Shakespeare's "Tempest," the playwright's last play.

Cuomo, 36, said he has been writing songs, but said, "I don't know what'll happen with these songs — if anything. ... I certainly don't see them becoming Weezer songs, and I don't really see the point of a solo career. So we'll just have to see."

Jim Merlis, a spokesman for Geffen said that the label had no official response, but did add Cuomo has made similar statements in the past.

Cuomo recently graduated from Harvard and married his longtime girlfriend, Kyoko Ito.

i guess that explains it :eek:

=w=

colleyvillesooner
7/13/2006, 09:59 PM
http://colleyvillesooner.com/stuff/BigMad.jpg

Mongo
7/13/2006, 09:59 PM
say it aint so

royalfan5
7/13/2006, 10:00 PM
They've sucked since Matt Sharp left.

colleyvillesooner
7/13/2006, 11:23 PM
You've sucked since Matt Sharp left.

bri
7/13/2006, 11:41 PM
Truth be told, this announcement comes one album too late.

Weezer had a good thing going when they were putting out one album ever three to five years. That's a LOT of opportunity to weed out the crap and churn out a top-shelf long-player. But they went away from that and started crapping out albums (seemingly) every six months. Granted, they CAN put together albums that quickly; Rivers writes A LOT of songs. I stopped paying attention to the free demo downloads on =w=.com somewhere in the mid-300's. The guy probably writes five songs while walking to the mailbox, and four of them are usually crap. I don't want to say that he's Dana Carvey's character in the "Choppin' Broccoli" sketch...but he's pretty damn close.

SoonersEnFuego
7/13/2006, 11:42 PM
Deezamn.

BlondeSoonerGirl
7/14/2006, 08:23 AM
I blame the g0ddammed half-Japanese girl he married.

:mad:

royalfan5
7/14/2006, 08:25 AM
I blame the g0ddammed half-Japanese girl he married.

:mad:
but she does it to him everytime

Mjcpr
7/14/2006, 08:25 AM
but she does it to him everytime

That's just because he's rich.

KC//CRIMSON
6/27/2007, 07:03 PM
BOOM SHAKA LAKA!

Weezer Aren't Done Yet — Online Post Promises Sixth Album

Band slated to hit studio in July, aims to release LP in 2008.

Last time we heard from Weezer, frontman Rivers Cuomo said they were "done." Cooked. Put on ice ... again.

All of a sudden, though, it seems like things have ramped back up for the band that is more on-again/off-again than a Brittany Murphy engagement.

Months after a mysterious Web site with the vague name AlbumSix.com began redirecting traffic to Weezer's homepage, a note was posted on both sites on Monday announcing that the group was not only back together, but about to wrap up work on a yet-untitled sixth album.

A post titled "Yams, clams, flans, plans, shams, crans and glands" and attributed to Cuomo announced, "Hey Party-People, Weezer is just polishing up a batch of songs for a recording session that is going to start at the beginning of July. This will be the final recording session for our sixth album which we aim to put out in the first half of 2008. We hope you are all having good times. Love, R-Dawg." The post was accompanied by a photo of an unidentified kid in blue jeans, a white button-down and an oversized black leather coat, which could very well have been a pint-size Cuomo, but we're not sure, since no one in the band's camp is really talking.

A source close to Weezer confirmed, however, that they are scheduled to wrap the album soon and that it is tentatively slated for a 2008 release.

Last July, Cuomo was camped out at his in-laws' house in southern Japan writing songs at a furious pace, with no idea where they'd go. "All this year, I've been feeling pretty creative and excited, so I've been writing a lot," Cuomo said at the time (see "Rivers Cuomo Says Weezer Are 'Done' For Now — Again"). "I don't know what'll happen with these songs — if anything — I just sort of write them and I can't stop. I certainly don't see them becoming Weezer songs, and I don't really see the point of a solo career. So we'll just have to see."

But cryptic messages in the liner notes to Weezer's 2005 album, Make Believe, appeared to lend credence to the feeling that the band was going to call it quits well short of its 15th anniversary.

In particular, a quote from William Shakespeare's "The Tempest" read, "This rough magic/ I here abjure, and, when I have required/ Some heavenly music, which even now I do/ To work mine end upon their senses that/ This airy charm is for, I'll break my staff/ Bury it certain fathoms in the earth/ And deeper than did ever plummet sound/ I'll drown my book" (see "Are Weezer Calling It Quits?").

A demo of a song called "Pig" has been floating around online since April, but it's unclear if that tune — which features Cuomo accompanied by an acoustic guitar, piano and harmonica singing about playing in the mud, talking to the animals and being in love with a girl named Tina — will end up on the new album.

This report is provided by MTV News

royalfan5
6/27/2007, 07:16 PM
At this point I am more excited about the Brian Bell side project than another Weezer album.

soonerboomer93
6/27/2007, 07:29 PM
http://music.yahoo.com/read/news/34015722

i guess that explains it :eek:

=w=

Didn't he write El Scorcho about her???

soonerboomer93
6/27/2007, 07:31 PM
Doh, I should read post dates...

Blue album is still their best work imho...

def_lazer_fc
6/27/2007, 09:34 PM
they were done after pinkerton. which a lot of people hated, but its still my favorite.

goingoneight
6/27/2007, 09:50 PM
They've sucked since 1993.

:D

mikeelikee
6/27/2007, 10:39 PM
Is Rivers related to Mario? (Cuomo, that is).

King Crimson
6/27/2007, 10:47 PM
in this world, no one is relevant for more than a couple years.

your memory of the past and your unconscious is being re-written and monopolized as you post now.

yermom
6/28/2007, 12:21 AM
Doh, I should read post dates...

Blue album is still their best work imho...

or just read the thread :D

i'm not sure i would agree that the Blue album was the best, but it's certainly a classic and one i would imagine i would always be happy to listen to

proud gonzo
9/9/2007, 12:05 PM
Weezer in the studio: Album 6 due in 2008!

(to regular watchers of weezer.com: yes, youve seen this already. To those who havent been tuning in, check it out!)

Dateline: an undisclosed location in Southern California, deep inside weezer lines. Im sitting in a large room that normally doesnt serve as a place where bands record their albums, watching weezer, well, record their album. But then this band isnt known for doing things normally. And this album, their 6th, is sounding pretty far from 'normal' so far.

There wont be any song titles or other detailed in-progress info in this report, but I can describe the vibe in the room and the sound in the air. The vibe is healthy, full of dialogue, cooperation, forward thinking and interested experimentation. The sound is definitely weezer, but not quite like any weezer I've heard before. Or rather, not like any one style that weezer has ever tried, but a fresh combination with some new flavors on top. It sounds as if the band has grown into a new land that they had previously only skirted around the edges of - a land where arrangements are getting adventurous, where song structures, lengths and feels are given plenty of sunlight and fresh water and allowed to grow into what the songs demand. It sounds really cool. Like an excellent music farm. Or perhaps a food co-op.

The band started this session on Monday July 9 and is scheduled to continue recording here till October. They came into this session with 6 weeks of earlier springtime work under their belts, which yeilded perhaps half of an unfinished album. Now theyve got their sights set on the other half, and all the overdubs and touches the final set of tracks will need to be ready for the world in '08. Based on what I've seen over these past 2 weeks here at Camp Weez, they should have no trouble delivering the goods.

also, there's something about The Rentals being on tour.

yermom
9/9/2007, 12:09 PM
ooh, The Rentals