PDA

View Full Version : employment question

oumartin
7/13/2006, 02:28 PM
4 years ago i worked for a nice company and really had no complaints other than my wife and kids wanting to be closer to "home".
Well i found a job close to home and moved them back. 3 years later I have turned down going back to this other job 3 times. Well once again I am going back to talk to them about rejoining the company. I really miss the guys over there and the area (eastern ok,ks). Heres my question.
i have been told the job you leave always looks better after you leave it.
has anyone ever experienced this? if so what was your take on this subject?
this time my family has no issues with me going back.

crawfish
7/13/2006, 02:31 PM
No experience with that, other than finding out that "being close to family" can be a mixed blessing.

GDC
7/13/2006, 02:32 PM
I liked my old job, but didn't care for the location (El Paso).

oumartin
7/13/2006, 02:35 PM
well, it would be like moving from a crap hole to a crap hole closer to civilization.

GDC
7/13/2006, 02:37 PM
And crawfish is right, being around family is definitely a mixed blessing, especially when it comes to in-laws.

oumartin
7/13/2006, 02:38 PM
actually i like my in laws.. Its their daughter i can't stand :D
its my family that drives me nuts.
plus i miss bartlesville and the such..
it must be pretty bad when you miss bartlesville

FaninAma
7/13/2006, 02:39 PM
4 years ago i worked for a nice company and really had no complaints other than my wife and kids wanting to be closer to "home".
Well i found a job close to home and moved them back. 3 years later I have turned down going back to this other job 3 times. Well once again I am going back to talk to them about rejoining the company. I really miss the guys over there and the area (eastern ok,ks). Heres my question.
i have been told the job you leave always looks better after you leave it.
has anyone ever experienced this? if so what was your take on this subject?
this time my family has no issues with me going back.

Tough question. I left a private practice position in Grand Island, NE because it was too far from the rest of the family. The clinic was well ran and Grand Island is a pretty decent community. I certainly regretted the decision after the crap that followed while practicing in Texas. But trying to be objective I realize that the move was just part of the learning experience and I don't view it as a mistake.

All you can do is make the best decision for your family, not just you although a happy, healthy father/mother is a huge net positive for any family. I recently moved again (away from Texas) just to lessen the stress and demands of my profession. There were negatives:uprooting the kids and moving further from my and my wife's parents. But, in the opinion of the entire family, the move was a net positive for the entire family. Now I might just live to see my 4 year old son graduate from college.

Also, I really believe that there are individuals, like me, with personalities that need change every so often.

Taxman71
7/13/2006, 02:42 PM
They have islands in Nebraska? I'll bet it disappears when the Blakes go scubadiving.

GDC
7/13/2006, 02:42 PM
Tough question. I left a private practice position in Grand Island, NE because it was too far from the rest of the family. The clinic was well ran and Grand Island is a pretty decent community. I certainly regretted the decision after the crap that followed while practicing in Texas. But trying to be objective I realize that the move was just part of the learning experience and I donn't view it as a mistake.

All you can do is make the best decision for your family, not just you. I recently moved again (away from Texas) just to lessen the stress and demands of my profession. There were negatives:uprooting the kids and moving further from my and my wife's parents. But, in the opinion of the entire family, the move was a net positive for the entire family. Now I might just live to see my 4 year old son graduate from college.

Also, I really believe that there are individuals, like me, with personalities that need change every so often.

One of the best bosses I ever had firmly believed you should make a change every 5-10 years, it keeps you fresh professionally. I've only had two jobs in 20 years, but several wives, maybe I should have listened to him.

FaninAma
7/13/2006, 02:45 PM
One of the best bosses I ever had firmly believed you should make a change every 5-10 years, it keeps you fresh professionally. I've only had two jobs in 20 years, but several wives, maybe I should have listened to him.

I don't know whether to admire or pity people who have lived in the same town all of their lives or worked in the same job/organization their entire career.

Personally, the 11 years I practiced in Amarillo was the absolute limit of how long I could stay at the same place professionally.

oumartin
7/13/2006, 02:47 PM
have you married the latest victim yet gdc?

jk the sooner fan
my wife is from grand island nebraska.....i'll be there in a few weeks.....

oumartin
i almost took a job with Koch in grand islands nebraska...
glad i didnt'

colleyvillesooner
my wife is from grand island nebraska.....i'll be there in a few weeks.....

Sorry. ;)

jk the sooner fan
7/13/2006, 02:48 PM
Sorry. ;)

eh its not that bad, its a nice farm town, pretty big actually.....good people

GDC
7/13/2006, 02:49 PM
have you married the latest victim yet gdc?

November, you're all invited.:twinkies:

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
7/13/2006, 02:53 PM

pfft, how about every 2 years. its about as much of the same old grind as i can take. of course, my current employer is making it hard to leave with this whole, optional to come into work thing...

oumartin
7/13/2006, 03:04 PM
well i only have to show up 14 days a month.. so thats not bad.
course the other job is the same way

colleyvillesooner
7/13/2006, 03:08 PM

Ahh the dreaded "good people" description. That means it's boring there. ;)

Mjcpr
7/13/2006, 03:09 PM
Ahh the dreaded "good people" description. That means it's boring there. ;)

It also has a great personality.

oumartin
7/13/2006, 03:12 PM
great place to raise a family.

royalfan5
7/13/2006, 03:13 PM
Plus it's close to Hastings and Kearney too.

colleyvillesooner
7/13/2006, 03:15 PM

double whammy. :D

Do NOT do a GIS for double whammy. The first entry is frightening.

oumartin
7/13/2006, 03:15 PM
welp royalfan, looks like i may be back in the Ammoniun thio-sulfate, Potassium thio-sulfate business.

oumartin
7/13/2006, 03:17 PM
as in hillary clinton? or the indian dude?
cuz you know i had to GIS it.

1stTimeCaller
7/13/2006, 03:29 PM

don't be posting pics of it, OK.

Mjcpr
7/13/2006, 03:30 PM
don't be posting pics of it, OK.

No way, not that many people have heard of it.

JohnnyMack
7/13/2006, 03:33 PM
of course, my current employer is making it hard to leave with this whole, optional to come into work thing...

They hiring? I am completely unqualified but like the office hours.

royalfan5
7/13/2006, 03:34 PM
welp royalfan, looks like i may be back in the Ammoniun thio-sulfate, Potassium thio-sulfate business.
What Company? Koch?

Skysooner
7/13/2006, 03:34 PM
My experience with this has been that the old job always looks better when you first start the new job. However if the reasons you left the old job (money, responsibility, place to live, etc.) are good enough, eventually you forget about the old company and wanting to go back. Before I moved here to Tulsa a couple of weeks ago, I had been offered 3 different jobs over the years at the company I left in 2001. I was sorely tempted to take the first one (3 months after I went to work for the company I was with until recently), but objectively I knew the perks and financial benefits at the new job were better. Ultimately it worked out for the best, and I got the position I wanted in Tulsa. It is hard to go back. I'm sure there are exceptions, but I have never experienced them. Each company I have gone to work for has been slightly to vastly superior to my old company.

colleyvillesooner
7/13/2006, 03:40 PM
What Company? Koch?

SIR! This is a family board.

oumartin
7/13/2006, 03:54 PM
nope not koch..
company i work for now bought out alot of koch..
the company i may go back to is a tessenderlo group company.

royalfan5
7/13/2006, 03:55 PM
nope not koch..
company i work for now bought out alot of koch..
the company i may go back to is a tessenderlo group company.
What brand name do they market under?

oumartin
7/13/2006, 04:05 PM
tessenderlo kerley..
lots of sales in nebraska..

royalfan5
7/13/2006, 04:08 PM
tessenderlo kerley..
lots of sales in nebraska..
Makes sense, we use a lot of fertilizer. Do they market for Co-ops or other dealers. The area of the state I am from is dominated by Co-ops for all inputs.

colleyvillesooner
7/13/2006, 04:09 PM
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
7/13/2006, 04:18 PM
They hiring? I am completely unqualified but like the office hours.

saddenly, i'm not allowed to hire anyone right now. besides, i'd hire norm first for the sheer entertainment value of it...

1stTimeCaller
7/13/2006, 04:21 PM
I'm much happier now than when I lived in Denver although the company that I was with in Denver is probably the best construction company a person could work for. You were all but guaranteed to retire a millionaire at that company but the moving each year wasn't something that I wanted to do.