PDA

View Full Version : Which Big 12 coaches are on the hot seat?

GDC
7/13/2006, 12:31 PM
I would add Pinkel.

Huge seasons for two coaches
By BILL HAISTEN World Sports Writer
7/13/2006

Then: In 1970-2001, the Nebraska football program recorded 32 consecutive seasons of at least nine victories and captured five national championships. In 24 of those 32 years, the Huskers had a Top 10 ranking in the final Associated Press poll.

Now: In two seasons since Bill Callahan became coach, the Huskers are 13-10. The Huskers lost by 24 points to Kansas State, by 25 to Kansas, by 27 to Oklahoma. For shock value, those blowouts can't compete with the 2004 debacle in Lubbock -- Texas Tech 70, Nebraska 10. One more time: 70 for Tech, 10 for Nebraska.

Then: In 14 seasons as Texas A&M's coach, R.C. Slocum had 15 first-team All-Americans and 123 victories.

Now: Aggie coach Dennis Franchione, who is paid $2 million a year, has a three-season record of 16-19 -- A&M's worst three-season mark since 1971-73. Eleven of Franchione's losses have been by at least 20 points. In 14 seasons, Slocum experienced only nine such losses. Unforgettable among Franchione's Aggie meltdowns was OU 77, A&M 0.

When the 2006 season begins in 51 days, two compelling storylines involve the Huskers and Aggies.

This is a huge season for Bill Callahan and Dennis Franchione.

From a job-security standpoint, Callahan did himself a great

favor by closing the 2005 season with three victories (including a 32-28 triumph over Michigan in the Alamo Bowl). This season, on Sept. 16, he and the Huskers have a chance to make a national splash when they play at Southern Cal.

While the Trojans adjust to a new quarterback, Nebraska's West Coast offense is driven by a capable senior QB -- Norman native Zac Taylor. A victory in Los Angeles would stand as a defining moment in the restoration of the Cornhusker brand, and it would considerably juice Callahan's approval rating in Nebraska.

Don Nelson, a Tulsa financial planner and the president of the Oklahoma Cornhusker Club, traveled to Lincoln to watch Nebraska's spring game. He says he was thrilled by what he saw -- an offense with 50-50 run-pass balance and clean execution.

"You're going to see the fruits of Bill Callahan's labor this year. We are much better on offense, and we now have the depth that we've been missing the last four or five years," Nelson said. "It's been a frustrating period. Callahan came in with this cocky attitude and jammed the West Coast offense down the throats of players who weren't recruited for that type of offense.

"Now, I do feel better about him. He has become more humble and he has worked hard to get the fans behind him."

Nelson says Callahan's best move at Nebraska was his hiring of assistant John Blake, the former OU head coach. Blake has recruited extremely well, and his efforts are the primary reason for the quality depth that Nelson mentioned.

When Nebraska plays at Texas A&M on Nov. 11, Callahan may be fighting to get his program into its first Big 12 Championship game since 1999. On the other side, Franchione may be fighting for his job.

As long as Bob Stoops coaches at OU and Mack Brown is at Texas, the Texas A&M job is going to be difficult for anyone. Aggie fans seem to believe that A&M should be on the same plane occupied by the Sooners and Longhorns, but Stoops and Brown have dominated A&M in the recruiting of Texas high school talent. In 1989-97, Slocum was the recruiting champion of Texas. Brown arrived in Austin in 1998 and Stoops in Norman a year later. In the Texas recruiting wars, A&M now is a distant No. 3.

What seems to gall Aggie fans isn't just that Franchione's A&M teams are losing, but that they are on the wrong end of such lopsided scores. Last season, A&M lost by three touchdowns at Colorado -- the same Colorado that went on to lose 70-3 to Texas in the Big 12 title game.

After prevailing in five of their first seven games last season, the Aggies crumbled. In spite of having Reggie NcNeal, who had been considered the Big 12's second-best QB behind Texas' Vince Young, the Aggies were rocked 42-14 by visiting Iowa State. They were plastered 56-17 at Texas Tech and lost 36-30 at OU. They lost 40-29 to Texas.

While Callahan's Nebraska club mustered late-season momentum and success, Franchione's Aggies were 0-4 down the stretch, finishing 5-6 and out of the bowl picture for the second time in three years. Unfathomable, considering A&M's "Wrecking Crew" tradition, were the Aggies' national statistical rankings -- No. 117 in pass defense, No. 107 in total defense.

Against Texas, Texas Tech and OU, Slocum had a combined record of 19-18. At A&M, Franchione is 1-8 against the Red Raiders, Longhorns and Sooners.

Franchione benefits from the presence of a potential quarterback star (sophomore Stephen McGee), and A&M has an extremely favorable 2006 schedule. Following a weak nonconference slate (The Citadel, Louisiana-Lafayette, Army, Louisiana Tech), the Aggies get the Red Raiders, Sooners and Nebraska at home.

If the Aggies can't manage a winning season this year, Franchione could be in trouble. University of Tulsa coach Steve Kragthorpe, a former Aggie offensive coordinator, has been frequently mentioned as possibly being the next head man at A&M.

And of all that has been atypical at A&M and Nebraska during this decade, the most remarkable development might be that the Aggies now are better in basketball than in football.

Snrfn4ever08
7/13/2006, 12:31 PM
i'd have to say, first and foremost, fran

GDC
7/13/2006, 12:43 PM
http://www.tulsaworld.com/images/2006/060713_B1_Huges47333_b1newzac13.jpg

This picture was with the article, it never gets old.

soonerinabilene
7/13/2006, 12:50 PM

i feel really bad, cuz as soon as i saw this pic the theme song from life goes on popped into my head.

BajaOklahoma
7/13/2006, 12:55 PM
I'm thinking that Don Nelson, a Tulsa financial planner and the president of the Oklahoma Cornhusker Club, better be looking for a new job.
Supporting a major bugeater supporter. <shaking head> What is wrong with Tulsa? <sigh>

King Crimson
7/13/2006, 12:59 PM
if Fran can't win 8 games with the OOC gimmies they have he *should* be gone.

Pinkel gets heat, but fact of the matter is he won a bowl game last year and Mizzou has been to like 3 bowl games in the last 20 years.

JohnnyMack
7/13/2006, 01:09 PM
How patient will Aggie Light be with Gumby? If they secure a bowl bid this year (6-6) I'd say they overachieved. From where :les: had them to where there are now seems very far apart. With all the cake being pumped into that stadium, are the natives going to tolerate his "John Blake stand on the sidelines with his sunglasses on and no idea what's happening" routine for too much longer? I know he's one of their own, but he wasn't the right choice.

SoonerDood
7/13/2006, 01:17 PM
OSU kept Pat Jones around for way too long. I suspect they'll do the same with Gundy.

Desert Sapper
7/13/2006, 01:21 PM
I think Nebraska will be good enough this year to buy Callenburger another year. They just have to make it to the Big XII CCG, and I'm hoping they do, so we can stomp a mudhole in them and keep our series somewhat intact. Fran is gone after this year unless he wins the Big XII. The aggies are nothing if not rabid, and I doubt they will tolerate more buffoonery from the ultimate Bama backstabber. I'm hoping we can put the nail in his coffin when we visit the giant concrete outhouse on November 4.

soonervegas
7/13/2006, 01:23 PM
I have heard from some reliable sources that that Stoops is on NickZepp's hot seat.

Snrfn4ever08
7/13/2006, 02:13 PM
How patient will Aggie Light be with Gumby? If they secure a bowl bid this year (6-6) I'd say they overachieved. From where :les: had them to where there are now seems very far apart. With all the cake being pumped into that stadium, are the natives going to tolerate his "John Blake stand on the sidelines with his sunglasses on and no idea what's happening" routine for too much longer? I know he's one of their own, but he wasn't the right choice.
it's not like osu is a powerhouse looking for championships:eddie:

AzianSooner
7/13/2006, 05:27 PM

man .. this Dude scares the hell out of me ... with his beer face.

FlatheadSooner
7/13/2006, 09:17 PM
[QUOTE=gdc]http://www.tulsaworld.com/images/2006/060713_B1_Huges47333_b1newzac13.jpg

That's kind of the crazy look my older brother had on his face the first time I ever really hit him back.

goingoneight
7/13/2006, 09:44 PM
OSU kept Pat Jones around for way too long. I suspect they'll do the same with Gundy.

Pat Jones just kinda gave up after the trouble with the NCAA. He did field the best OSU team to ever play. The difference is Jones could have done better, but kinda slipped out of the aggy scene in hopes for another big break... Gumby is just awful. As long as they don't have a early-stages Pat Jones, Jimmy Johnson, or Les Miles on their staff who present any hint of them actually getting good... I'm cool.

Cuz a good aggy team isn't cool... :cool:

badger
7/13/2006, 10:08 PM
considering the non-conf. schedules of them all, here's my analysis:

Even if they went 0-12 (which they won't), still not in hot seat:

Bob Stoops, Mack Brown
Why? Because when you win a nat'l title, you're set for life... for as long as you stay at the school.
Pretty safe:

Mike Leach, Mike Gundy, Guy Morris
Why? Looking at their non-conf schedules, and at expectations at these programs, the only way they're letting them go is if a major incident (like Colorado's scandal) plagued them.

Not safe, but no worries:
Mark Mangino, Ron Prince, Dan Hawkins
Why? Expectations are higher for these guys, regardless of how long they've been there (or if they haven't been there at all). They won't get fired this season, but they could next year if they don't make their programs stand out in the Big 12 North (not too difficult a task!)

Incredibly not safe
Bill Callahan, Franchione
Why: You have programs that have tasted nat'l championship greatness and want it again... right now. The only way to combat pressure like this is results. Results... or get out.

(Mizz and ISU don't matter)

JohnnyMack
7/13/2006, 10:16 PM
Top to bottom:

1. Mack Brown
2. Bob Stoops
3. Mike Leach
4. Mark Mangino
5. Dan McCarney
6. Guy Morriss
7. Mike Gundy
8. Bill Callahan
9. Gary Pinkel
10. Dennis Franchione

Prince and Hawkins get passes unless of course they perform a ritual sacrifice at the fifty yardline of homecoming.

King Crimson
7/13/2006, 10:25 PM
ATM hasn't tasted MNC greatness for at least 50 years.

if there is a fan base that has an over-inflated, truly bizarre sense of it's place in CFB, it's ATM.

RooseveltRoughRider
7/13/2006, 10:39 PM
ATM hasn't tasted MNC greatness for at least 50 years.

if there is a fan base that has an over-inflated, truly bizarre sense of it's place in CFB, it's ATM.

Actually A&M has not tasted a MNC since WWII but they caught some good sniffs. In the early 90's they were Very much in the NC Picture. In fact they went undefeasted in 1994..and posted a 42-6 Record from 91-94 and had Over 30 Players drafted in a 4 year span..not too shabby 9 undefeated seasons and only 1 NC sucks..

They were ineligible in 94'...it seems like teams that are ineligible always go undefeated

goingoneight
7/13/2006, 10:40 PM
My computer chair is kinda hot right now... But I know how to recruit and win so we're cool here...

goingoneight
7/13/2006, 10:41 PM
Actually A&M has not tasted a MNC since WWII but in they caught some good sniffs in the early 90's they were Very much in the NC Picture. In fact they went undefeasted in 1994..and posted a 42-6 Record from 91-94 and had Over 30 Players drafted in a 4 year span..not too shabby

And they would soon fire their hero... and lose 77-0.

Snrfn4ever08
7/13/2006, 10:42 PM
Actually A&M has not tasted a MNC since WWII but in they caught some good sniffs in the early 90's they were Very much in the NC Picture. In fact they went undefeasted in 1994..and posted a 42-6 Record from 91-94 and had Over 30 Players drafted in a 4 year span..not too shabby
yea, i believe their last championship was in '39. finally, something worse than the once-every-thirty-five-yearers.

Desert Sapper
7/14/2006, 10:47 AM
Because when you win a nat'l title, you're set for life... for as long as you stay at the school.

Tell that to Lloyd Carr...he won in '97 (split, actually) and he's probably on the hottest seat in the Big 11 this year.

Woody Hayes won a few and got fired (okay, he punched
Charlie Bauman from Clemson while losing the Gator Bowl 17-15, but whatever).

If I remember right, Barry won some championships, too (3 give or take, if I remember right) and he practically got fired (yes, I know, he 'resigned')by, ummmm, oh yeah, US.

There are probably some more examples, but who cares. The point is that college football coach is likely the job with the least security in the country.

You are safe if you win a title so long as you keep winning at a big program and so long as you don't allow too much craziness to happen on campus (or off campus as the case might be). Safer? Yes. Set for life? Probably not.

LoyalFan
7/14/2006, 01:10 PM
I have heard from some reliable sources that that Stoops's Nine iron is IN NickZepp's hot "seat".

Improved at no cost to the taxpayers.

LF

TinCup5150
7/16/2006, 02:35 AM
Pinkel would have been but the bowl win may have saved his job.

BoomerJack
7/16/2006, 09:56 AM
IMO Franchione is on the hottest seat in the Big XII. Not only does he need a win against either OU or Texas, he needs to avoid a loss to TTech. I believe that Tex Aggies can handle losses to OU or Texas (as long as they aren't blowouts) a lot better than they can to Tech.

RedstickSooner
7/16/2006, 10:46 AM
I think if Stoops posted a 4 or 5 loss season this year, he'd be on the hot seat.

BoomerJack
7/16/2006, 12:33 PM
I think if Stoops posted a 4 or 5 loss season this year, he'd be on the hot seat.

That's an interesting observation considering the schedule we have this year. IMO, here's our possible losses. Key word: POSSIBLE.

1. At Oregon - Early in the year, on the road, highly ranked opponent.
2. Texas - Always a hard fought game; opponent highly ranked; and though
I realize they will have a new QB this year, they will be tough.
3. Tex A&M - Try not to laugh too hard. It seems that Aggies always play
us tough in College Station. This game also scares me because it's
the week before the revenge game at home against TTech. Our guys
may be caught looking ahead.

Texas Golfer
7/17/2006, 03:43 PM
Last year, Tech schedules the non-conference patsies. This year, it's A&M. There's nothing like padding your schedule to make you look better.

College Station - Where the Aggies honk their horns and the sheep back up to the fence.

Readyfor8
7/27/2006, 01:45 PM
Top to bottom:

1. Mack Brown
2. Bob Stoops
3. Mike Leach
4. Mark Mangino
5. Dan McCarney
6. Guy Morriss
7. Mike Gundy
8. Bill Callahan
9. Gary Pinkel
10. Dennis Franchione

Prince and Hawkins get passes unless of course they perform a ritual sacrifice at the fifty yardline of homecoming.

Wow you got the top 2 right and the bottom right but you screwed to pooch on the rest.

1) Mack Brown - Just won an MNC
2) Bob Stoops - Worst season ever at 7-5 or 8-4? Doesn't matter cause his worst is still a godsend for some schools.
3) Guy Morris - This guy is the second comming of Jesus, Moses, and Muhammed all wrapped up in one if you ask anyone in Waco.
4) Mike Leach - As good as he has done at Tech if he posted a 3 win season this year he would be on a hot seat too.
5) Dan McCarney - Has had ISU sniffing the promised land for 3 seasons straight and when you ase hungry as the Cyclones, having a whiff at the North Championship is almost as good as the real thing.
6) Mark Mangino - Fat Man Gino taking a basketball school to a bowl and winning still isn't enough for some donors at KU, but it is enough to buy him atleast 2 more seasons.
7) Gary Pinkel - This man will be cashing unemployment checks by january if he doesn't drag his but to a bowl game.
8) Mike Gundy - Just wait until T Boone figures out that you can buy coaches with money too.
9) Callenberger - This guy is one hillbilly or throatslash away from the soup line, Nebraska is his last shot and if he doesn't win the North this year, hes out. I Hope!
10) Dennis Franchione - 2m a year is an aweful lot to pay to play second violin in the New York Philharmonic, its also alot to pay to someone who resides 3rd in the south of the BigXII. One more blow out spells D O O M for Fran.

The two newbies dont get a pass, but they are too new to post the mistakes of so they get an honorable mention for this list.

Edit: Typo's