PDA

View Full Version : We lost a young man up here yesterday.

Okla-homey
7/13/2006, 07:58 AM
17 y/o starting center at Jenks. Two SUV loads of football players on the Creek Turnpike. One kid tries to shoot the other vehicle with a paintball gun. Loss of control. Boy ejected from vehicle and pronounced dead at the scene.

I'm starting to think laws restricting the number of kids in a vehicle driven by an underage driver might not be a bad idea. I think a bunch of teenagers driving around is more potentially dangerous than talking on a celly while driving BTW.

yermom
7/13/2006, 08:07 AM
yeah, with the rollover tendency too, it's just a bad decision IMO

poor kid :(

OUDoc
7/13/2006, 08:10 AM
I did tons of stupid **** like that as a teenager, and came through without a scratch. It's sad to lose someone that young.

Boomer.....
7/13/2006, 08:27 AM
Very sad and unnecessary.

GDC
7/13/2006, 08:29 AM
Raise the driving age to 18 or 21.

jk the sooner fan
7/13/2006, 08:30 AM
i think 21 is too old, but i'm all in favor of 18

yermom
7/13/2006, 08:42 AM
maybe unrestricted driving at 18, i can almost see that

i think the permit and driver's ed process should be mandatory though, and tougher... and probably periodically renewed

none of that prevents a young kid from being an idiot behind the wheel though

7/13/2006, 08:48 AM
I'll bet nearly all of us, (well, the males anyway), pulled stunts as bad or worse than this when we were in our teens. Very sad to hear of someone being snuffed so young.

BajaOklahoma
7/13/2006, 08:52 AM
We have restrictions on the licenses down here.
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administration/driver_licensing_control/graduateddriver.htm
It's just common sense. We had similar family rules in place for our kids when they started driving.

yermom
7/13/2006, 08:56 AM
I'll bet nearly all of us, (well, the males anyway), pulled stunts as bad or worse than this when we were in our teens. Very sad to hear of someone being snuffed so young.

true dat. i probably should have died a couple of times...

i still think driving at 18 is too late... i was enrolled at OU before i turned 18

Stanley1
7/13/2006, 08:57 AM

Not everybody was a heathen growing up. Just saying.

hurricane'bone
7/13/2006, 08:57 AM
Oklahoma does have a graduated drivers license

Stanley1
7/13/2006, 08:58 AM
I don't think they need to change the age, just maybe have more restrictions. I think some states limit the times of day/night that kids under 18 can drive, and maybe who can be in the car. If their parents would do a better job of parenting, that wouldn't hurt either.

1stTimeCaller
7/13/2006, 08:59 AM
but for the Grace of God go I.

prayers for his family and friends.

Stanley1
7/13/2006, 08:59 AM
Oklahoma does have a graduated drivers license

Is it new? Don't remember it being that way as recently as 5 years back when my younger bro was starting out.

hurricane'bone
7/13/2006, 09:00 AM
Is it new? Don't remember it being that way as recently as 5 years back when my younger bro was starting out.

The original came around in '99 but it was way weak, they stregthened it in '05.

http://www.dps.state.ok.us/dls/gdl.htm

swardboy
7/13/2006, 09:01 AM
When I heard about the finding that young males' brains simply aren't able to process dangerous situations I thought, "Uh huh...that explains some of my early stupidity in a car." I won't be surprised to see this finding factored in to some kind of law/procedure for licensing eligibility.

yermom
7/13/2006, 09:01 AM

well, maybe if they grew up to be accountants :P

Stanley1
7/13/2006, 09:05 AM
well, maybe if they grew up to be accountants :P

Oh.....I'm dangerous now. VERY. Dangerous. Don't let the pocket protector and dorky accountant lingo fool ya. ;)

Sooner in Tampa
7/13/2006, 09:10 AM
Oh.....I'm dangerous now. VERY. Dangerous. Don't let the pocket protector and dorky accountant lingo fool ya. ;)Is Dangerous your middle name?

JohnnyMack
7/13/2006, 09:32 AM

That's because you had a crash helmet and a lunch pail on the short bus until you were 18.

slickdawg
7/13/2006, 09:35 AM
17 y/o starting center at Jenks. Two SUV loads of football players on the Creek Turnpike. One kid tries to shoot the other vehicle with a paintball gun. Loss of control. Boy ejected from vehicle and pronounced dead at the scene.

I'm starting to think laws restricting the number of kids in a vehicle driven by an underage driver might not be a bad idea. I think a bunch of teenagers driving around is more potentially dangerous than talking on a celly while driving BTW.

Tragic news.

That's an excellent idea Homey, a car full of teens on the road is very dangerous.

OUDoc
7/13/2006, 09:36 AM
Oh.....I'm dangerous now. VERY. Dangerous. Don't let the pocket protector and dorky accountant lingo fool ya. ;)
You go swimming only 10 minutes after eating, huh?

slickdawg
7/13/2006, 09:36 AM
i think 21 is too old, but i'm all in favor of 18

Seconded.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
7/13/2006, 09:37 AM
Prayers for the family.

My niece turned 16 in January, but said she wasn't ready to even get a permit until last month. While I thought that was odd for a teenager, stories like this make me kind of glad she is somewhat afraid to drive.

IB4OU2
7/13/2006, 09:39 AM
Dang... I missed this, my wife lived in Jenks and graduated from Jenks High....did anyone catch the name of the boy who died?

Mjcpr
7/13/2006, 09:41 AM
Dang... I missed this, my wife lived in Jenks and graduated from Jenks High....did anyone catch the name of the boy who died?

Garrett Bennett.

MamaMia
7/13/2006, 09:42 AM
That is so sad. God bless that child and his family.

I'm all for the legal age being changed to 18. I would not allow my kids to ride with teen aged drivers until they went off to college. My middle daughter wanted me to change my rule one afternoon so that she could ride along with some friends to a basketball game. She even entertained us with one of her dramatic scenes, but I held my ground. While on their way home, her 3 friends were killed in a head on collision, as was the 52 year old father of 2 that they hit.

When I was 16, I could barely see over the steering wheel. I had no business driving. On my 2nd week of drivers education class, I was too afraid to cross that bridge at Lake Overholser. I just froze. So they changed my drivers education class to the following year. Another day, I misjudged the rain water factor on the circle drive of my high school, Putnam City West, and slid into the embankment. I bumped into, I don't know how many, objects and got 3 citations for traffic violations. At the time, I had no clue as to why I was stopped. My dad finally grounded me from driving until I was older.

I've not had but two tickets, nor have I been at fault in a traffic accident since I was almost 19 years old.

Okla-homey
7/13/2006, 09:44 AM

Here's the story:

Jenks football player dies in SUV crash
By NICOLE MARSHALL World Staff Writer
7/13/2006

JENKS -- A 17-year-old Jenks High School student died Wednesday when he was ejected from an SUV that crashed after it was shot at by a paintball gun fired from another carload of Jenks football players.

Garrett Bennett was pronounced dead at the scene of the crash on the Creek Turnpike just west of U.S. 75, according to the Oklahoma Highway Patrol.

The driver and another passenger of the crashed sport utility vehicle were taken by ambulance to St. Francis Hospital in Tulsa, where they were treated for injuries that were not believed life-threatening.

The teens had just left a paintball competition for junior and senior football players before the crash occurred.

Bennett was a passenger in a 1997 Toyota 4Runner driven by Mitchell Hill, whom troopers identified as 17.

Hill was driving east on the turnpike shortly before noon when a passenger in a 1996 Toyota 4Runner, which was also eastbound, fired paint balls at Hill's vehicle, an OHP report alleges.

The 1996 4Runner was driven by Eric Davis, 17, of Tulsa. The vehicle also contained two passengers, Brad Regal, 17, and Keith Mefford, 18, troopers reported. The seven occupants of both vehicles were all Jenks football players.

Hill's SUV began to swerve as he passed the SUV Davis was driving, troopers reported. He apparently lost control of the vehicle, which crossed the median and the westbound lanes of the highway, striking a speed limit sign and then overturning several times, the report states.

Although troopers noted that seat belts were used by all four passengers in the wrecked vehicle, Bennett was ejected. He would have been a senior next school year, school officials said.

Hill and Jacob Laptad, 18, were taken by ambulance to St. Francis Hospital in Tulsa. Hill had cuts to his head and neck and was treated and released, but Laptad, who reportedly had a concussion and received 38 stitches in his left hand, was kept overnight. A fourth passenger, identified by troopers as Luke Hill, the 19-year-old brother of the driver, declined treatment at the scene.

Football players and coaches met at their locker room after the fatal crash, said Tara Thompson, director of communications for Jenks Public Schools.

Counselors will be at the Jenks High School Counseling Office between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. Thursday to talk to any students, she said.

"Our prayers and hearts go out to the families right now at this tragic time," Thompson said.

Offensive line coach David Alexander joined the Trojans coaching staff this spring and knew Bennett through off-season workouts.

He said the 6-foot-1, 245-pound Bennett had been projected to start at center this fall and that the offensive lineman was the type of young man every coach seeks to build a program.

"Garrett grew up in the Jenks system," Alexander said. "He was your typical Jenks football player. His whole life was Jenks football. "He was a quiet young man. He never missed a workout. I think he enjoyed being with his teammates as much as he did the Friday night experience." Alexander also praised Bennett as a team player.

"Every program needs this type of young man -- the kind you trust, the kind you didn't have to worry about," he said. "Garrett wasn't looking to be a star. He just wanted to be part of a championship program and do whatever he could to make the Jenks football team better."

Isaac Norman, who graduated from Jenks High School this year and was a teammate of Bennett's, said they were good friends. "He was just a great guy," Norman said. "He was always laughing and smiling, and he was very athletically talented." Norman said he has talked to a few football team members and that they are all in shock.

"You never think that anything like this would happen, at least not to a close friend and a good guy like Garrett," he said.

"He didn't deserve what happened today. . . . He didn't deserve to die this early," Norman said. "You want to have fun; you do something and don't think a lot of of it, and you don't really think of the consequences until something like this happens."

Although a preliminary report on the crash was released Wednesday, troopers are continuing to investigate the circumstance that led to the crash.

Lt. Phil Guest said Oklahoma Highway Patrol regional fatal crash investigators will be conducting other interviews and will present their final report to the District Attorney's Office.

World staff writer Lynn Jacobson contributed to this story.

Nicole Marshall 581-8459
[email protected]

IB4OU2
7/13/2006, 09:46 AM
Garrett Bennett.

Thanks buddy....

Stanley1
7/13/2006, 09:51 AM
You go swimming only 10 minutes after eating, huh?

Oh yea. Ask Chick, 5 minutes after eating 2-3 hamburgers and some fries, I was frolicking in the ocean in Messico.

I've also been known to cross streets outside of crosswalks, as well as to roll through stop signs.

slickdawg
7/13/2006, 09:53 AM
Mississippi's legal driving age was 15 until recently. So in 1983, young
and inexperienced me got a license. Two months later, I was in a bad car
wreck (shattered femur, cracked mycheek right under my left eye, plus tons
of other bruises, cuts, etc). Being the boy genious, I didn't have my
seatbelt on. If I had, I'd have not been so bad off. How bad off?

I sent 6 weeks in traction, and 6 months in a bodycast. I was almost
one full year before I could walk with a cane.

The accident was caused by mechanical failure and inexperience.
The steering failed, and I sat there and tried to get the car to steer right.
I should have locked the brakes up.

As a result, I went from 33 MPH to 0 MPH into a concrete retaining wall.
Had a passenger been with my, they would have died, as the dash
was pushed up against the passenger seat.

Now you know why I'm a big proponent of wearing seat belts and
of being 18 (at least) to drive.

IB4OU2
7/13/2006, 09:53 AM
Deb (my wife) said she went to school with a Gary Bennet back in the mid 70's and he was a football player and all a round athlete. I wonder if Garret was related to him?

soonerhubs
7/13/2006, 09:54 AM
My prayers to the friends and family. I'm fully supportive of raising the driving license age to 18 or 19. As a rule that'd probably save alot of lives.

Stanley1
7/13/2006, 09:54 AM
Think any of the other kids will get charged with anything?

Taxman71
7/13/2006, 10:04 AM
I think anyone under age 18 should have to drive a vehicle that carries no more than 1 passenger. SUV's and sedans loaded with your friends in the back is askin for trouble.

OUDoc
7/13/2006, 10:11 AM
my high school, Putnam City West
A West girl, huh? :D

Tear Down This Wall
7/13/2006, 10:18 AM
Raise the driving age to 18 or 21.

Raise the driving age to 18 and the drinking age to 24. And, send me a fresh Bama pecan pie, free of charge, every week for the next 30 years. Those are all laws I'd like to see on the books.

Stanley1
7/13/2006, 10:18 AM
My prayers to the friends and family. I'm fully supportive of raising the driving license age to 18 or 19. As a rule that'd probably save alot of lives.

19, and even 18 really, just isn't realistic.

Just put severely limiting restrictions on 16/17 year olds, improve the training/testing (anybody can get a license, and that isn't right), and limit underage passengers.

royalfan5
7/13/2006, 10:22 AM
19, and even 18 really, just isn't realistic.

Just put severely limiting restrictions on 16/17 year olds, improve the training/testing (anybody can get a license, and that isn't right), and limit underage passengers.
Nebraska has a year restricted license give at 16 with passenger and time of day restrictions as well as a madatory amount of driver's ed. Then at 17, a person can move up to a regular license if they didn't get in trouble. However, in Nebraska country kids can still get a school permit at 14, to drive directly to school and back on the shortest route with no passengers.

GottaHavePride
7/13/2006, 10:47 AM
The testing should be much harder and more expensive. We had an exchange student from Norway at my high school and she was shocked it's so easy to get a license in this country. She said over there it costs equivalent of about $2,000 to get a drivers' license and the testing is crazy hard.

Oh, and while I'm at it, raising the drinking age to 24 would have the exact opposite effect to what you're expecting. It would make drinking seem like even more of an "evil" and you'd see a huge increase in underage binge drinking and alcohol-related stupidity.

Mjcpr
7/13/2006, 11:03 AM
Mmmmmm, binge.

yermom
7/13/2006, 11:07 AM
The testing should be much harder and more expensive. We had an exchange student from Norway at my high school and she was shocked it's so easy to get a license in this country. She said over there it costs equivalent of about $2,000 to get a drivers' license and the testing is crazy hard.

Oh, and while I'm at it, raising the drinking age to 24 would have the exact opposite effect to what you're expecting. It would make drinking seem like even more of an "evil" and you'd see a huge increase in underage binge drinking and alcohol-related stupidity.

i've heard that Germany has a similar system... i can't imagine having to pay that much at 16 or even 18 though, but i still don't think it's a bad idea

the problem i see is that you are mixing a person's first real taste of freedom with a 3000+ lb machine that can do lots of damage, i'm not sure that much education will help that situation, unless it gets rid of that perceived sense on invulverability that comes with being a young male

GottaHavePride
7/13/2006, 11:13 AM
Well, in addition to the testing I think they have a lot more restrictions, more required classes, more training. And it's the supervised time behind the wheel that trains you out of the idiotic driving habits.

Scott D
7/13/2006, 12:00 PM
Think any of the other kids will get charged with anything?

the paintball shooters and possibly the drivers will likely get misdemeanors.

MamaMia
7/13/2006, 12:07 PM
A West girl, huh? :D
Thats right. Go Patriots! :D

Grimey
7/13/2006, 02:16 PM
the paintball shooters and possibly the drivers will likely get misdemeanors.

This is right near my house, and I go on that road every day. Praise God that they didnt hit any other drivers. At noon on a Wednesday, I'm very surprised they didnt collide with someone coming Westbound when they crossed the median.

It sucks that that kid died, but at least they didnt take some young family out because of their moronic decisions. I bet that the guys that had the brilliant idea to shoot paintballs out of cars going 80 mph are feeling real cool now.