PDA

View Full Version : When we pass the Irish

CrimsonChampion
7/12/2006, 11:37 AM
I know this is stupid but it's the off-season and I'm just wondering.

If and when we pass Notre Dame in the national championship count, will the nation recognize us as the face of college football? The Irish basically get every game nationally televised, even when they suck.

Snrfn4ever08
7/12/2006, 11:41 AM

If and when we pass Notre Dame in the national championship count, will the nation recognize us as the face of college football? The Irish basically get every game nationally televised, even when they suck.
no, they should, but in the eyes of the nation and the media in general, we will always suck. we could be the first team to win 3 straight championships and we would get nowhere near the love that usc got.

CrimsonChampion
7/12/2006, 11:44 AM
oh well, it sure is nice being a $ooner and consistantly sticking it to the nation.

Boomer.....
7/12/2006, 11:51 AM
oh well, it sure is nice being a $ooner and consistantly sticking it to the nation.

Damn straight!

FlatheadSooner
7/12/2006, 11:53 AM
I want to believe OU would get the deserved recognition. However, I think part of Notre Dame's widespread popularity is because they aren't affiliated with a state - at least in their name. Therefore people can more easily identify with them.

Snrfn4ever08
7/12/2006, 11:55 AM
I want to believe OU would get the deserved recognition. However, I think part of Notre Dame's widespread popularity is because they aren't affiliated with a state - at least in their name. Therefore people can more easily identify with them.
so maybe all of the notre dame media hype would die down if we all started carrying around signs and putting up billboards all over the country that says, "Notre Dame is in Indiana!":D

FlatheadSooner
7/12/2006, 12:00 PM
so maybe all of the notre dame media hype would die down if we all started carrying around signs and putting up billboards all over the country that says, "Notre Dame is in Indiana!":D

Or "Notre Dame Indiana A&M"

Jason White's Third Knee
7/12/2006, 12:04 PM
I'll pass the Irish about 6 hours after I eat them.

Snrfn4ever08
7/12/2006, 12:06 PM
Or "Notre Dame Indiana A&M"
i like the idea, who else is with us?

Sooner_Havok
7/12/2006, 12:32 PM
i like the idea, who else is with us?

The Fightin' Irish Aggies? :rolleyes:

XingTheRubicon
7/12/2006, 12:40 PM
Notre Dame is currently claiming 11 NC's using Bamamath.

8 real ones.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
7/12/2006, 12:55 PM
Notre Dame Hoosiers Irish Aggy School

Sooner_Havok
7/12/2006, 01:14 PM
Notre Dame Hoosiers Irish Aggy School for the Deaf and Blind

fixed:D

CrimsonChampion
7/12/2006, 01:20 PM
Notre Dame is currently claiming 11 NC's using Bamamath.

8 real ones.
Yea as soon as we get our 8th everyone will be saying they have 11 legit titles. It's all good though, we know who runs this s!@#

badger
7/13/2006, 12:35 AM
i know it's easy having sooner fan angst after the 2003 meltdown, but remember before that?

Yes, we were the greatest team ever. We would be ensured a spot in the nat'l title game even before our last game. We were at the top of all the polls, we had the lowest BCS score in its history. We were unstoppable.

The media can and will love us, we just need to give them a reason to, just as notre dame has this past season.

Think about it--- they were pushed out of a victory over USC, they finally had a good season after sucking for several seasons.

And don't forget, the media can turn on anyone fast, also. They've dropped USC since all the crap about Reggie Bush's family and the house and they ridiculed Notre Dame for firing Tyrone Willingham.

It comes down to winning. We win, they'll love us. Quit yer whinin' :)

Sooners78
7/13/2006, 11:44 AM
By 2004, we had become what FSU was in the 90s. Everybody either loved us or hated us. That's what happens to any team that is very successful. In 2000 when we were the cinderella team, most of the media loved us.

As for Notre Dame, I think Indiana Christian University would be a better name.

footballfanatic
7/13/2006, 11:57 AM

They get every game nationally televised because their national following was big enough to entice NBC to sign a separate contract with them. No way OU has that kind of following. Also, they always have a very hard schedule, which means their opponents have big followings, as well. Passing them in the standings will have no bearing on getting more attention.

Octavian
7/13/2006, 11:57 AM
If at some point this season OU is ranked #1, we'll pass them in most weeks ranked #1. We're currently tied w/ them in first place.

The media can and will love us, we just need to give them a reason to...It comes down to winning. We win, they'll love us.

truth.

Octavian
7/13/2006, 12:00 PM
They get every game nationally televised because their national following was big enough to entice NBC to sign a separate contract with them. No way OU has that kind of following.

Nope.

NBC offered that deal to OU first. We turned it down b/c we'd have had to leave the Big 8.

They later offered it to the Irish...Notre Dame accepted.

Oklahoma consistently has had some of the highest viewer ratings for decades.

Snrfn4ever08
7/13/2006, 12:07 PM
i know it's easy having sooner fan angst after the 2003 meltdown, but remember before that?

Yes, we were the greatest team ever. We would be ensured a spot in the nat'l title game even before our last game. We were at the top of all the polls, we had the lowest BCS score in its history. We were unstoppable.

The media can and will love us, we just need to give them a reason to, just as notre dame has this past season.

Think about it--- they were pushed out of a victory over USC, they finally had a good season after sucking for several seasons.

And don't forget, the media can turn on anyone fast, also. They've dropped USC since all the crap about Reggie Bush's family and the house and they ridiculed Notre Dame for firing Tyrone Willingham.

It comes down to winning. We win, they'll love us. Quit yer whinin' :)
sorry, i can't say i agree with you completely. i was just watching the 2001 orange bowl the other day and it's amazing how even though we'd been beating the best teams in the country and were in the championship unscathed, the media was riding the florida state bandwagon hard. they already had one loss and had nowhere near the competition we had that year. from what i remember, after we won the game, they still didn't love us. all of the focus turned to miami before we lost another game. no matter how much we win, the media's never going to love us like they love east/west coast schools and notre dame. honestly though, i think i kinda like it that way. i love sticking it to the media. maybe we'll actually start to do some of that this year.

soonervegas
7/13/2006, 01:36 PM
They get every game nationally televised because their national following was big enough to entice NBC to sign a separate contract with them. No way OU has that kind of following. Also, they always have a very hard schedule, which means their opponents have big followings, as well. Passing them in the standings will have no bearing on getting more attention.

Little know fact on this. NBC actually came to OU first (before Notre Dame) with the idea of having an exclusive contract, but we said no due to who they were asking us to play coupled with the Big 8 schedule. OU received the highest TV viewership of any school from the 1950's through 1980's. (Thank you Bud and Barry) In hindsight it was good that we said no.....we were only a few years away from the Gibbs, Schnelly, Blake era.

Octavian
7/13/2006, 02:08 PM
is there an echo in here?

Snrfn4ever08
7/13/2006, 02:09 PM
well, a little-known fact is that oklahoma was offered a contract by NBC first...:D

Octavian
7/13/2006, 02:37 PM
sorry, i can't say i agree with you completely. i was just watching the 2001 orange bowl the other day and it's amazing how even though we'd been beating the best teams in the country and were in the championship unscathed, the media was riding the florida state bandwagon hard. they already had one loss and had nowhere near the competition we had that year. from what i remember, after we won the game, they still didn't love us. all of the focus turned to miami before we lost another game. no matter how much we win, the media's never going to love us like they love east/west coast schools and notre dame. honestly though, i think i kinda like it that way. i love sticking it to the media. maybe we'll actually start to do some of that this year.

Florida St. was making their third straight BCS title game appearance and attempting to repeat...their praise was justified.

As for us not being "loved" by the national media, that may be true but...the SI cover following the OB read CASE CLOSED: OU Proves it's #1.

We're tied w/ Notre Dame for the most weeks holding the #1 ranking all-time and have the second most AP national titles. In '03, analysts joked how OU could win the AFC North.

The media loves a winner and molds their story around said winner.

(ex.) Greg Davis won the Frank Broyles Award last year for the best cordinator in the country. :rolleyes:

I get what you're saying but the name "Oklahoma" carries a lot of sway in college football too. If we win, we'll be there. ;)

Snrfn4ever08
7/13/2006, 02:40 PM
Florida St. was making their third straight BCS title game appearance and attempting to repeat...their praise was justified.

As for us not being "loved" by the national media, that may be true but...the SI cover following the OB read CASE CLOSED: OU Proves it's #1.

We're tied w/ Notre Dame for the most weeks holding the #1 ranking all-time and have the second most AP national titles. In '03, analysts joked how OU could win the AFC North.

The media loves a winner and molds their story around said winner.

(ex.) Greg Davis won the Frank Broyles Award last year for the best cordinator in the country. :rolleyes:

I get what you're saying but the name "Oklahoma" carries a lot of sway in college football too. If we win, we'll be there. ;)
we'll be there, and as far as college football goes, oklahoma is respected and given credit where credit is due, but oklahoma also seems to be one of the schools the national media loves to hate

soonervegas
7/13/2006, 03:26 PM

sorry oct. totally missed that.

Octavian
7/13/2006, 03:38 PM
sorry oct. totally missed that.

ahh, just jokin around. ;)

I dont know if anyone takes time to read all the posts in a thread...it's a virtual necessity on the SO.

CrimsonChampion
7/13/2006, 03:42 PM
Ok, I've come to this conclusion.

The media and alot of the nation WANTS Notre Dame to be the premier football program.

Those same ppl recognize and acknowledge OU's greatness, but do not want us to top the Irish.

GDC
7/13/2006, 05:56 PM

Exactly, there are Catholics all over the world.

Jason White's Third Knee
7/14/2006, 09:58 AM
Indiana Catholic A&M at South Bend. There. That pretty much alienates everybody.

aICm