PDA

View Full Version : OKC - New Home For MG?

Mjcpr
7/12/2006, 08:58 AM
This sounds like a positive for our backwoods state.

Chinese Automaker Plans US Assembly Plant

Oklahoma factory will build historic English MG and create 550 new jobs

OKLAHOMA CITY - China’s oldest carmaker plans to build an assembly plant in southern Oklahoma to help revive a historic English automotive brand — the MG.

Nanjing Automobile Corp. will locate a manufacturing facility and parts distribution center at the Ardmore Air Park, said Duke T. Hale, the company’s new president and chief executive.

Oklahoma City will be the site of the company’s global headquarters for sales, marketing and distribution outside of Asia. A new research and development facility will be housed at the University of Oklahoma in Norman.

The Oklahoma operations are part of a global business strategy by the newly formed MG Motors, which also plans to build vehicles in Nanjing, China, NAC’s home, as well as resume production at the Longbridge assembly plant near Birmingham, England.

“We’re positioning ourselves as a global car,” Hale said. “Our vision is to try to create a world-class car in a world-class company.”

A formal announcement was planned Wednesday in Oklahoma City.

Hale said Oklahoma was one of several locations the company considered for the plant, and called the state’s incentive package “pretty darn aggressive.” The state is offering Nanjing tax breaks for job creation and a new business development fund.

At full capacity, MG Motors is expected to create about 550 jobs in Oklahoma.

MG was Britain’s last independent auto manufacturer but had not produced a new model since 1998. In the 1960s, the company turned out 40 percent of the cars bought in Britain.

The Ardmore investment comes less than five months after General Motors Corp. closed its Oklahoma City assembly plant, the first of 12 facilities the company plans to shutter by 2008 as it struggles to bring production in line with market demand. The Oklahoma City plant produced sport utility vehicles like the Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT and employed 2,200 hourly and 200 salaried workers.

The cost of the proposed 300,000-square-foot assembly plant and distribution facility is not yet known, but the total capital investment in reviving the MG exceeds $2 billion, including MG’s new operations in China, reopening the facility in England and building new facilities in Oklahoma.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13826030/

OklahomaTuba
7/12/2006, 08:59 AM
Holy shiat, thats awesome.

No doubt the state's preference for the color crimson had something to do with it.

Partial Qualifier
7/12/2006, 09:04 AM
Wha? That is awesome, especially considering the glut of manufacturing people here who have recently lost or are losing their jobs.

SoonerInKCMO
7/12/2006, 09:14 AM
Wait, I thought we were supposed to move manufacturing jobs to China - this is all bass-ackwards. :confused:

Chuck Bao
7/12/2006, 09:15 AM
That's a bit odd: British auto model manufactured in Oklahoma by a Chinese auto company.

Who the heck is China's oldest automaker?

And, at the Ardmore Air Park?

Mjcpr
7/12/2006, 09:17 AM
Where's BRJ? He should be all over this.

1stTimeCaller
7/12/2006, 09:19 AM
Ardmore truly is the best more.

KC//CRIMSON
7/12/2006, 09:59 AM
This sounds like a positive for our backwoods state.

Chinese Automaker Plans US Assembly Plant

Oklahoma factory will build historic English MG and create 550 new jobs

OKLAHOMA CITY - China’s oldest carmaker plans to build an assembly plant in southern Oklahoma to help revive a historic English automotive brand — the MG.

Nanjing Automobile Corp. will locate a manufacturing facility and parts distribution center at the Ardmore Air Park, said Duke T. Hale, the company’s new president and chief executive.

Oklahoma City will be the site of the company’s global headquarters for sales, marketing and distribution outside of Asia. A new research and development facility will be housed at the University of Oklahoma in Norman.

The Oklahoma operations are part of a global business strategy by the newly formed MG Motors, which also plans to build vehicles in Nanjing, China, NAC’s home, as well as resume production at the Longbridge assembly plant near Birmingham, England.

“We’re positioning ourselves as a global car,” Hale said. “Our vision is to try to create a world-class car in a world-class company.”

A formal announcement was planned Wednesday in Oklahoma City.

Hale said Oklahoma was one of several locations the company considered for the plant, and called the state’s incentive package “pretty darn aggressive.” The state is offering Nanjing tax breaks for job creation and a new business development fund.

At full capacity, MG Motors is expected to create about 550 jobs in Oklahoma.

MG was Britain’s last independent auto manufacturer but had not produced a new model since 1998. In the 1960s, the company turned out 40 percent of the cars bought in Britain.

The Ardmore investment comes less than five months after General Motors Corp. closed its Oklahoma City assembly plant, the first of 12 facilities the company plans to shutter by 2008 as it struggles to bring production in line with market demand. The Oklahoma City plant produced sport utility vehicles like the Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT and employed 2,200 hourly and 200 salaried workers.

The cost of the proposed 300,000-square-foot assembly plant and distribution facility is not yet known, but the total capital investment in reviving the MG exceeds $2 billion, including MG’s new operations in China, reopening the facility in England and building new facilities in Oklahoma.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13826030/

In other words, Tulsa is still f*****.;)

achiro
7/12/2006, 10:30 AM
Wait, I thought we were supposed to move manufacturing jobs to China - this is all bass-ackwards. :confused:
So are they gonna hire 550 illegals so that the pay rate compares to home?

SoonerInKCMO
7/12/2006, 10:40 AM
Here's a little longer article with some renderings of the coupe and convertible: http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/12/business/worldbusiness/12auto.html

BigRedJed
7/12/2006, 09:26 PM
Where's BRJ? He should be all over this.
Sorry, I was busy reading an article about how Oklahoma's booming economy was causing record tax receipts and a surplus at the state level, and trying to figure out how all of this happens in a state that's so unfriendly to business.

Okla-homey
7/12/2006, 09:44 PM
Good for Ardmore and good for Oklahoma. Although its actually closer to Gene Autry.

That old air base is the reason I'm alive...dad met mom while he was stationed there.:D

Now the old base is gonna make a lot of new people happy too.

I just hope those MG's don't have Lucas electrics. That stuff is carp.

BOOMERBRADLEY
7/12/2006, 09:49 PM
When my dad was still the commander at the national guard in Ardmore I used to go watch them do stuff out there at the airpark. It was a pretty cool place I guess

KaiserSooner
7/12/2006, 10:45 PM
Interesting. I wonder how/why Nanjing chose OKC as its North America/Europe headquarters?

Were Brad Henry's proposed incentives that irresistible? Nonetheless, good for Oklahoma.

royalfan5
7/12/2006, 10:49 PM
Interesting. I wonder how/why Nanjing chose OKC as its North America/Europe headquarters?

Were Brad Henry's proposed incentives that irresistible? Nonetheless, good for Oklahoma.
I would bet the existence of a pool of skilled autoworkers in the area probably contributed. However, I don't know how good the Chinese will be in heading off union issues. I don't know how much of a pro-union atmosphere, y'all have compared to the southern states. Also, I would bet the competion for this plant would be thinner than for an established automaker, so I would assume Oklahoma had to whore it's self less for this plant.

Sooner24
7/12/2006, 10:57 PM
Good for Ardmore and good for Oklahoma. Although its actually closer to Gene Autry.

That old air base is the reason I'm alive...dad met mom while he was stationed there.:D

Now the old base is gonna make a lot of new people happy too.

I just hope those MG's don't have Lucas electrics. That stuff is carp.

I had heard this was going to be announced last Sat. The Ardmore Air Park is actually in the Ardmore city limits. There are six or seven businesses including a branch of the 1st National Bank out there already with the Dollar General warehouse being the biggest of the bunch. There is also a BBQ place out there in the same building as the bank called The Blue Pig. Such Oklahoma legends as Barry Switzer and Toby Keith have eaten there.

Sooner24
7/12/2006, 11:12 PM
I would bet the existence of a pool of skilled autoworkers in the area probably contributed. However, I don't know how good the Chinese will be in heading off union issues. I don't know how much of a pro-union atmosphere, y'all have compared to the southern states. Also, I would bet the competion for this plant would be thinner than for an established automaker, so I would assume Oklahoma had to whore it's self less for this plant.

We also have the Michelin tire plant here. It was Uniroyal before Michelin bought them out but it has never been unionized. I would imagine that had a lot to do with the Chinese deciding to build their plant here.

royalfan5
7/12/2006, 11:14 PM
We also have the Michelin tire plant here. It was Uniroyal before Michelin bought them out but it has never been unionized. I would imagine that had a lot to do with the Chinese deciding to build their plant here.
Hmm, didn't know about the tire plant. That probably helped too. I wonder if the Chinese will follow the Japanese model of making the componet suppliers set up shop near-by. If so, that would be an even bigger boost.

Chuck Bao
7/13/2006, 02:30 AM
The Ardmore Air Park is actually in the Ardmore city limits.

That's what I was thinking, on the southeast side of Ardmore - that road (Hwy. 77??) that goes to Lake Murray.

Bring on the Chinese-British midget cars!

I've got to have one.

AlbqSooner
7/13/2006, 06:48 AM
That's a bit odd: British auto model manufactured in Oklahoma by a Chinese auto company.
So, if I get one will I be buying American???

Sooner24
7/13/2006, 07:00 AM
That's what I was thinking, on the southeast side of Ardmore - that road (Hwy. 77??) that goes to Lake Murray.

Bring on the Chinese-British midget cars!

I've got to have one.

No that's the Ardmore Downtown Airport (it's not downtown so I don't know why they call it that) and it's just a little airport you are talking about. The Ardmore Airpark is north of town. When you are going down I-35 take the exit right there at Gene Nuestadt lake and go east about 6 or 7 miles. They can land 747's at the Ardmore Airpark. If they tried to land a 747 at the airport you are talking about it would be on the news. ;)

Okla-homey
7/13/2006, 07:49 AM
No that's the Ardmore Downtown Airport (it's not downtown so I don't know why they call it that) and it's just a little airport you are talking about. The Ardmore Airpark is north of town. When you are going down I-35 take the exit right there at Gene Nuestadt lake and go east about 6 or 7 miles. They can land 747's at the Ardmore Airpark. If they tried to land a 747 at the airport you are talking about it would be on the news. ;)

Yes, like I said, out nearer Gene Autry north of Ardmore. The air base/air park is not now nor has it ever been in the Ardmore city limits.

The little air park on Lake Murray Drive is in the city limits. My shiitforbrains cousin once took an airplane from there on a joyride (i.e. stole) but crashed landed when he brought it back.

Okla-homey
7/13/2006, 07:51 AM

Yes, like I said, out nearer Gene Autry north of Ardmore. The air base/air park is not now nor has it ever been in the Ardmore city limits.

The little air park on Lake Murray Drive is in the city limits. My shiitforbrains cousin once took an airplane from a joyride (i.e. stole) from there but crashed landed when he brought it back.

For the record: MG stands for "Morris Garage." Amaze your friends with this factoid.

KaiserSooner
7/13/2006, 11:14 AM

Which if true, is kinda ironic considering the political bent and roots of China's regime.

Sooner24
7/13/2006, 12:43 PM

The little air park on Lake Murray Drive is in the city limits. My shiitforbrains cousin once took an airplane from a joyride (i.e. stole) from there but crashed landed when he brought it back.

For the record: MG stands for "Morris Garage." Amaze your friends with this factoid.

The Ardmore Airpark is incorporated into Ardmore and thus considered Ardmore even if it is not contiguous to Ardmore main. It is considered Ardmore by the City of Ardmore and gets its water, sewer and so on from Ardmore. Funny thing is the Valero refinery is not in the Ardmore City limits. Go figure.

http://www.ardmoredevelopment.com/land_sites/airpark.asp

Sooner24
7/13/2006, 12:44 PM
Also I forgot to mention that Ardmore collects taxes from every business out there.

Okla-homey
7/13/2006, 12:45 PM
The Ardmore Airpark is incorporated into Ardmore and thus considered Ardmore even if it is not contiguous to Ardmore main. It is considered Ardmore by the City of Ardmore and gets its water, sewer and so on from Ardmore. Funny thing is the Valero refinery is not in the Ardmore City limits. Go figure.

http://www.ardmoredevelopment.com/land_sites/airpark.asp

Well, isn't that conveeeeenient?1?

Sooner24
7/13/2006, 12:48 PM
One more thing I forgot........................

ARDMORE IS THE BEST MORE!!!!!!

:D