PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

Soonrboy
7/11/2006, 05:24 PM
My dad passed away a few years ago. He left me his coin collection. It has been sitting in the garage gathering dust since then. Not sentimental to me or my kids at all.

I took it in to have it appraised. The collector said he would pay me $3000 for it. Hmmmm, we sure could use some of that money to buy some furniture and stuff.

My dad wasn't able to leave us a whole lot. My wife is abhorred that I am even considering selling it. My argument is that when I think of my dad, I don't think of the coin collection.

What would some of you do?

Beano's Fourth Chin
7/11/2006, 05:25 PM
probably get more for it on eBay.

mrowl
7/11/2006, 05:33 PM
like b4c said, stick it on ebay and put the starting price at $3,000

LoyalFan
7/11/2006, 05:35 PM
In the garage? Jeebus! Get it outta there and put it in a safe place. If you have kids and they have chums who hang out at your place...well.
Not to impugn your kids or their friends, but this is a temptation that an otherwise good kid might succumb to.
Besides, in just one moment, if the garage is open and unattended...anyone could snatch and go.
It's true that a collector will offer you far less than true value. On the other hand, without an accurate appraisal, auctioning is a big risk too, since you won't know where to set the reserve bid.
It may well be worth having an impartial appraiser have a look for a reasonable fee. Tell him you want to INSURE, not sell...just in case he might lowball you as well. Otherwise, there are plenty of websites you can seek info from.
I think the wife is right, BTW.

LF

StoopTroup
7/11/2006, 05:35 PM
Sell but I bet you could do better...

Do some Homework on the coins.

critical_phil
7/11/2006, 05:41 PM
i'm feeling the same way about my baseball card collection, part of which are cards that my dad gave to me from the late 50's and early 60's.

they just moved not too long ago, and i moved the cards from their attic to my garage.

i've started to inventory them, and there's several K dollars worth of cards. on one hand, i would feel terrible for selling them. on the other hand, i hadn't even laid eyes on them for 10+ years before last month so they couldn't be that important to me.

olevetonahill
7/11/2006, 05:48 PM
Ditto
Place on E bay with a Min of 3200 , Have to cover your costs. Not a buy it now thing
Your Dad would want you to do what needs to be done to help your family

GottaHavePride
7/11/2006, 05:55 PM
LoyalFan is right on.

yermom
7/11/2006, 06:33 PM
if you need money to keep your house or something, i can see it

but "furniture and stuff" depreciates, i'm thinking coins don't... also i'm a bit sentimental, i wish i had more stuff from my dad :(

MamaMia
7/11/2006, 06:34 PM
If you do decide to sell them, take photos of them first.

JohnnyMack
7/11/2006, 06:42 PM
Peem.

olevetonahill
7/11/2006, 06:51 PM
how about a Sooner Swap auction with a reserve ? Give Only Sooner fans a chance then maybe you can have the option to buy em back if you want

yermom
7/11/2006, 06:57 PM
yeah, that was the other thing i was thinking, you can't undo selling them

OUHOMER
7/11/2006, 07:05 PM
I think if an emergency than sell them. Otherwise hang on to them in a safe place..

Emergency would consist of, out of beer; transmission just fell out of the car, BIG SCREEN TV to watch wreslin. Or the start of a college saving plan for the kids

afs
7/11/2006, 07:20 PM
I think if an emergency than sell them. Otherwise hang on to them in a safe place..

Emergency would consist of, out of beer; transmission just fell out of the car, BIG SCREEN TV to watch OU SPORTS. Or the start of a college saving plan for the kids

fixed.

OUHOMER
7/11/2006, 07:25 PM
fixed.

You sir are correct :D

Hamhock
7/11/2006, 08:06 PM
i'm feeling the same way about my baseball card collection, part of which are cards that my dad gave to me from the late 50's and early 60's.

they just moved not too long ago, and i moved the cards from their attic to my garage.

i've started to inventory them, and there's several K dollars worth of cards. on one hand, i would feel terrible for selling them. on the other hand, i hadn't even laid eyes on them for 10+ years before last month so they couldn't be that important to me.

dude,

coins are one thing. don't sell the cards.