PDA

View Full Version : Sooners top D in nation

CU Sooner
7/11/2006, 03:51 PM
Tony Sellars interviewed Phil Steele about his mag and why he had Sooners #1. He stated it was all about the D. DL's- #1, LB's -#2, and DB's - #1. It was a good read.
http://oklahoma.scout.com/2/545855.html

oumartin
7/11/2006, 03:58 PM
isnt' this the same guy that didn't have AD as his #1 running back.

JohnnyMack
7/11/2006, 03:58 PM
How the F do we have the #1 DB's in the country????

oumartin
7/11/2006, 04:01 PM
cuz everyone elses db's must be really weak.
the potential is there but they have yet to prove anything.

CU Sooner
7/11/2006, 04:02 PM
isnt' this the same guy that didn't have AD as his #1 running back.

yeah, thought that was a little off to have bush from louisville #1, but at least he does all his own writing and doesn't lay blame off on soemone else.

TexanSooner420
7/11/2006, 04:07 PM
nice article, and yes our defense will be a brick wall

NormanPride
7/11/2006, 04:14 PM
Our DBs actually got pretty good late last season. Now with Smith at CB, they should be even better.

CU Sooner
7/11/2006, 04:15 PM
I think our db's fortunes depend on our safeties, corner wise i think we go two deep easy. Everyone keeps knocking our db's, but the last half of the season they were very strong and physical.

boomersooner28
7/11/2006, 05:12 PM
Yeah, he does have Michael Bush (Louisville) as his #1 RB. Bush is a big dominant back, but better than AD? Eh. No thanks.

Bush does have an easier schedule to put up bigger numbers, thats about it.

Snrfn4ever08
7/11/2006, 05:22 PM
i think our defense could be tops in the country this season, but bush ahead of peterson is stupid. can you say big east?

soonerboy_odanorth
7/11/2006, 05:47 PM
If he is saying he thinks Bush will have the better overall season numbers-wise, I can listen to that argument (i.e. the same one that was made about D'Angelo Williams over Peterson last year.)

But if he is saying Bush is the better running back in polish, talent, or ability? Pblblblblblbthththththtttt!!!!! (<-raspberries)

RooseveltRoughRider
7/11/2006, 06:36 PM
WOW..
I agree OU should have a Good D.....but the #1 Secondary in the Nation??????????????
I must say that they will not have the best Secondary in the Conference.

Soonerman08
7/11/2006, 06:40 PM
WOW..
I agree OU should have a Good D.....but the #1 Secondary in the Nation??????????????
I must say that they will not have the best Secondary in the Conference.

Well then who do you think does Sherlock Holmes????

oumartin
7/11/2006, 06:43 PM
well of course Texas has the best..
they have the best everything. :rolleyes:

RooseveltRoughRider
7/11/2006, 06:48 PM
well of course Texas has the best..
they have the best everything. :rolleyes:

I think Texas has the best Secondary, and I think OU has the best LB's...
The DL is really really close in my opinion. Texas only lost one, and OU brings back some good talent. Texas is real deep in the DL and the Secondary. I'll take Aaron Ross, Michael Griffin, Taryl Brown and Marcus Griffin over any other 4 in the Big XII.

Snrfn4ever08
7/11/2006, 06:53 PM
The DL is really really close in my opinion. Texas only lost one, and OU brings back some good talent. Texas is real deep in the DL and the Secondary. I'll take Aaron Ross, Michael Griffin, Taryl Brown and Marcus Griffin over any other 4 in the Big XII.
i bet you would:rolleyes:

PlanOUred
7/11/2006, 06:57 PM
Roosevelt....you might not think that OU has the best secondary in the country but lots of national sportswriters do. They might not have any bias towards some schools like some posters do. Independant observers are usually more accurate and unbiased than fans of some schools....think about that. OU's D will probably the best in the nation and that opinion is supported by many national writers. But, TX should at least have a good D....just not the level of OU's.

Soonerman08
7/11/2006, 07:08 PM
Roosevelt....you might not think that OU has the best secondary in the country but lots of national sportswriters do. They might not have any bias towards some schools like some posters do. Independant observers are usually more accurate and unbiased than fans of some schools....think about that. OU's D will probably the best in the nation and that opinion is supported by many national writers. But, TX should at least have a good D....just not the level of OU's.

Amen Brother! That being said...Boomer Sooner!

Snrfn4ever08
7/11/2006, 07:09 PM
Thank you, and welcome to the board. have some spek!Hook 'em

RooseveltRoughRider
7/11/2006, 08:27 PM
The same Sportswriters you speak of will be the same ones you call worthless later on in the season.

Someone enlighten me on why OU's defense will be on a different level than UT's. Both return the same amount of starters. Discuss please...

Snrfn4ever08
7/11/2006, 08:43 PM
The same Sportswriters you speak of will be the same ones you call worthless later on in the season.

Someone enlighten me on why OU's defense will be on a different level than UT's. Both return the same amount of starters. Discuss please...
refer to sig
|
|
|
|
|
|
V

RooseveltRoughRider
7/11/2006, 08:48 PM
LOL...the exact response I expected.

Snrfn4ever08
7/11/2006, 08:54 PM
LOL...the exact response I expected.
good, then you understand how bad you suck

MiccoMacey
7/11/2006, 09:07 PM

I'll even help you out here...these same sportswriters had us ranked as high as number seven last year before the TCU game. So yes, they make mistakes. So they are not perfect. But I'll take Steele's opinion any day over an average fan. The rest of us are just speculating usually based on a mix of wish and whim, with a touch of homerism.

Except for jkm. :D

It's not always who you have coming back, but who you lose (see Vince Young). You lose Huff and Griffin, two NFL-bound college all-stars. We lost Onyenegecha (who I personally believe never got any better than the hype he arrived with), and Bassey, a player who I admire for sticking around after failing miserably at both safety and corner back.

Also, you lose three of your top four tacklers, two of which were your DB's. We lose one of our top four. And the DB's we lose were near the bottom of tackles on our team.

In return, we basically have four people who were full or at least part-time starters. Which means they saw the field for great parts of last year. Smith is playing a new position, but by all accounts he's better suited for CB than safety.

Texas' new projected DB's also have some game experience, but not as much (Melton had 16 tackles last year).

Couple that with what some are calling one of the best DL's and LB corps in college football, and that takes more stress of our DB's (especially since our DB success is in large part a mirror of how well our DE's play, and we have outstanding players and depth at DE...unless you ask Nick Zepplin).

Retort.

boomersooner28
7/12/2006, 01:27 PM

Pretty simple discussion really.....we have BOB STOOPS and Brent Venables. Texas does not. End of story.

Snrfn4ever08
7/12/2006, 01:31 PM
Pretty simple discussion really.....we have BOB STOOPS and Brent Venables. Texas does not. End of story.
thanks. i think that was pretty much the end-all. argument over, time to lock down the threadHook 'em

Scott D
7/12/2006, 01:44 PM

I'll give you the experience edge but that might be about it. We'll see come December which secondary is better.

melbitoast
7/12/2006, 01:59 PM
All I can say is, I can't wait for July 19th to get my hands on that issue. It definitely sounds like he does his homework before publishing his magazine. Some mags I've read this year have completely inaccurate information, and it's frustrating.
Sounds like this could be a gem.:D

Snrfn4ever08
7/12/2006, 02:19 PM
I'll give you the experience edge but that might be about it. We'll see come December which secondary is better.
they moved the texas game to december? when did this happen?:confused:

SOONtobe#1
7/12/2006, 02:28 PM
Yes we are a biased group, but if you look at the last 4 games of 05 and the change of positions this year it is not that far off base to think we could have the best DB's in the country. Add to the fact that the D-Line will be one of the best, it will make the DB's look that much better. Instead of having to lock your man down for 4-7 seconds you can now look at it as a 3-5 second window for the QB's to get the ball out of their hands. Being able to use a 4 man front and still get pressure on the QB will ultimately make the DB's look that much better.

Boomer

Scott D
7/12/2006, 02:33 PM
they moved the texas game to december? when did this happen?:confused:

more like, I'm willing to let the entire body of work for the season speak for itself. Rather than base everything on a single game.

Desert Sapper
7/12/2006, 03:17 PM
I'm not too keen on everybody ranking us so high. We always do better when everybody thinks we suck. OUr O-Line is my big concern. Our secondary should be fine, and they might be the best in the country by the end of the season. OUr front seven will help them develop early.

Jason White's Third Knee
7/12/2006, 03:30 PM
If any of you have never read Phil Steele's mag, it's by far the best thing out their. You might not like his opinion, but if you don't like his mag, you are either a chick or you need to go back to comic books. THe other mags are a waste by comparison.

soonerinabilene
7/12/2006, 05:11 PM

because we are superior. that about does it for that discussion. move on to the next question. :D