PDA

View Full Version : The Illinois River thread made me think of...

SoonerInKCMO
7/10/2006, 07:44 PM
this crazy picture a friend of mine sent me the other day.

Here are a couple of my friends in the Bahamas on a 'shark feed'. I can't decide if they're crazy, adventurous or stupid - what do you think?

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y52/ToddG/shark.jpg

Stanley1
7/10/2006, 07:47 PM
Girls that do stuff like that = crazy nookie.

Just sayin'.

StoopTroup
7/10/2006, 07:48 PM
Evidently the shark was full.

SoonerInKCMO
7/10/2006, 07:59 PM
Girls that do stuff like that = crazy nookie.

Just sayin'.

I can say that, for at least 50% of the people in that picture, you are incorrect. :(

AlbqSooner
7/10/2006, 08:10 PM
Feeding carnivorous creatures in their native habitat is NOT a good thing. The tend to lose their fear of humans and associate them with food. Which is also NOT a good thing if you want to venture into their native habitat.

I was diving in the Florida Keys a few years back when a barracuda ambled alongside. They do this often and usually stay about 10-12 feet away just watching what you are doing. This one, however, turned and sped directly at my dive partner - who happened to be an important client's 19 year old son and a fairly inexperienced diver.

Damn cuda stops about six inches from the kid's face and hangs there. Kid is about to panic and head for the surface. I took his arm and pulled him slowly behind me. As I did the cuda got in my face. We made our way slowly to the surface and swam back to the boat. I wondered WTF was wrong with that cuda.

That night we went out to eat and the restaurant had a stand full of tourist flyers advertising everything from bars to restaurants to conch trains to scuba shops. There among the literature was a dive expedition flyer saying come dive with us as we feed the Barracudas. Had a picture of a divemaster with a bait fish between his teeth which a cuda was gladly taking from him.

Those kinds of operations screw it up for the rest of the world and screw it up for the animals as well.

StoopTroup
7/10/2006, 08:12 PM
So we should dive with fish in our mouths? ;)
http://www.visualsunlimited.com/images/watermarked/188/188550.jpg

SoonerInKCMO
7/10/2006, 08:15 PM
Feeding carnivorous creatures in their native habitat is NOT a good thing. The tend to lose their fear of humans and associate them with food. Which is also NOT a good thing if you want to venture into their native habitat.

I was diving in the Florida Keys a few years back when a barracuda ambled alongside. They do this often and usually stay about 10-12 feet away just watching what you are doing. This one, however, turned and sped directly at my dive partner - who happened to be an important client's 19 year old son and a fairly inexperienced diver.

Damn cuda stops about six inches from the kid's face and hangs there. Kid is about to panic and head for the surface. I took his arm and pulled him slowly behind me. As I did the cuda got in my face. We made our way slowly to the surface and swam back to the boat. I wondered WTF was wrong with that cuda.

That night we went out to eat and the restaurant had a stand full of tourist flyers advertising everything from bars to restaurants to conch trains to scuba shops. There among the literature was a dive expedition flyer saying come dive with us as we feed the Barracudas. Had a picture of a divemaster with a bait fish between his teeth which a cuda was gladly taking from him.

Those kinds of operations screw it up for the rest of the world and screw it up for the animals as well.

Preaching to the choir here. I tried to tell both of 'em it was stupid but they're chicks so they don't listen too well.