PDA

View Full Version : Oil / Oil Filters

Norm In Norman
7/10/2006, 03:17 PM
OK, so I have a new not $43,000 Nissan Altima and the manual says something about it having one of these new fangled oil filters with some sort of valve in it so the oil won't drain out of it. Evidently this is supposed to keep the oil in the cylinders when turned off thus causing less wear and tear on the engine. So where do I get one of these fancy filters and how do I know the one I buy really has this type of valve thing in it?

Also, what type of oil do you guys use? I used to only drive ford's and I used motorcraft oil, which is ford's brand. Well, it's becoming a bit harder to find here lately. I figure since I'm not driving a ford, now is the time to switch to something that is better.

Now don't give me this "It doesn't matter as long as you change it every 5000 miles" ****. I don't buy that. Dad always used motorcraft because he noticed while working on cars (he was a mechanic) that engines that had motorcraft in them had way less crap in them than motors with 'xxxxxx' brand oil in them, 'xxxxxx' being some brand that I can't remember. If a brand works better at 10k miles than another then I'd prefer to use it even though I change it every 5000 miles.

Oh, and what do you guys think about synthetic oil?

yermom
7/10/2006, 03:19 PM
5000 miles? i stick to 3000.... although i went ~12,000 once, hilarity ensued on the highway

i don't really have anything else to add

BoogercountySooner
7/10/2006, 03:20 PM
Synthetic for sure! I prefer Mobil 1!

slickdawg
7/10/2006, 03:21 PM
Synthetic all the way.

I've got a good friend that lives for cars, owns his own car repair shop,
and knows it all, literally. He swears, particularly for 4 & 6 cylinder
imports, that you should use synthetic oil. He prefers Castrol (I do too).

As for the filter, I have no clue.

The Passat manual says 5,000 and synthetic.

Boarder
7/10/2006, 03:23 PM
My vehicles always used more oil when I tried synthetic.

I have not seen any difference between Quaker State, Valvoline, or Pennzoil. I usually get Quaker State except for last time I got Valvoline because they had a 5 pack deal that had Scott Riggs' NASCAR Hot Wheels type car with Lightning McQueen and The King on the hood.

The Law Of Norm's Luck would clearly state that your vehicle takes a special oil filter that can only be purchased at one Nissan Dealer per state and only on odd months and even weeks.

BlondeSoonerGirl
And I know a mechanic that runs a very successful shop and he says NEVER use synthetic.

I know I'm helping you a lot, Norm. :mack:

Norm In Norman
5000 miles? i stick to 3000.... although i went ~12,000 once, hilarity ensued on the highway

i don't really have anything else to add
Hey, the manual says 3000 for heavy driving/dirt roads, 5000 for moderate driving, 7000 for light driving. I can't see why they would recommend a mileage that might cost them warranty work. heck, even my 97 ranger says 5000 miles.

BlondeSoonerGirl
7/10/2006, 03:25 PM
Oh, and Norm - get ready for your 'Service Req' or 'Check Eng' light to come on if you don't change it on time.

The new cars are kinda b1tchy.

Boarder
7/10/2006, 03:25 PM
Oh, Dad's "crappy GM" '89 4x4 truck has over 275,000 miles on it and has always had Quaker State 30w regular oil in it. And, it was changed, oh, somewhat regularly. It was driven very hard, too.

My newer vehicles have a thing that tells you when to change it. It takes into account how it's driven, speed, rpm, etc. I don't look at miles anymore.

1stTimeCaller
7/10/2006, 03:29 PM
Oh, Dad's "crappy GM" '89 4x4 truck has over 275,000 miles on it and has always had Quaker State 30w regular oil in it. And, it was changed, oh, somewhat regularly. It was driven very hard, too.

My newer vehicles have a thing that tells you when to change it. It takes into account how it's driven, speed, rpm, etc. I don't look at miles anymore.

I put 12,000 in between changes once by listening to the computer that tells you when to change the oil.

Mjcpr
7/10/2006, 03:29 PM

Mine has that, I figured it was just a setting somewhere so I ignored it because it's giving me WAY more miles than I usually go before changing it.

Interesting.

Mjcpr
7/10/2006, 03:30 PM
I put 12,000 in between changes once by listening to the computer that tells you when to change the oil.
Okay, now I'm starting to re-think that.

Hamhock
The wife's car says 7,500 miles, but that doesn't stop the oil change guy from putting the next interval on the sticker at 3,000 miles.

And I don't really mind synthetic. I mean, you really shouldn't be able to tell the difference if the surgeon is any good.

Mjcpr
Also, it's important that everyone prounces it "oal" when reading this thread.

Thanks.

tbl
7/10/2006, 03:31 PM
Valvoline is the best, bar none. It doesn't crud up like the other stuff, but that may be different now that synthetics are dominating. I still only use Valvoline, and most mechanics will tell you it's the best. I go 5,000 on my cars...

Boarder
7/10/2006, 03:35 PM
So far, I've put around 300k miles on vehicles with the "% of oil life left" computer saying when to change it. Them thar computers is pretty smart, so I listen to them.

I would think the manufacturer wouldn't put it in there if it was going to trash the vehicle and make them warranty engines. And that mileage has been on several different types of engines, not just one. I trust it fine.

The OnStar thing where they e-mail you to say "Your oil is at 3% of life left" is pretty cool, too.

Sooners78
7/10/2006, 03:40 PM
From mechanics, I've heard mixed opinions about whether synthetic is really better or not. At least none say it is worse.

As for filters, I like Fram because they are easier to change with their sandpaper surface.

olevetonahill
7/10/2006, 03:48 PM
Orielly has the filter 6.99 or less Fram makes a good filter , However I use WIX
As far as oil goes I use their brand , 30 Wt.
125,000 and no problems . So use what you want

Norm In Norman
7/10/2006, 03:48 PM
One of the things about synthetic is - well, I guess it reduces my dependency on real oil. I need some solid facts though on whether it's better for the engine. Mechanics aren't quite as helpful as you would think out on the internet.

My wife took it in for it's first oil change today. They told her you couldn't buy the filter anywhere. Yeah right. I did a google search and I can buy them for $4 a filter, genuine Nissan. I'm afraid to use a different brand because I won't know if it has that valve thing in it.

TopDaugIn2000
7/10/2006, 03:49 PM
my CAMRY uses one of those filters as well so I always get it changed at the dealership to be sure to get the right filter. I use coupons, they do it in under 30 minutes, and it's really only a few bucks more than a quick lube place.

my firebird didn't have that, so I always got my oil/filter from my brother (he owns a napa store) and did it myself. I figured it was worth the few $$ now though, especially since it's only every 4 months or so

I do it every 5K miles (the book says 7,500 for normal driving, 5K for dusty roads, but after being programmed for "3K" for so long with the old FB I just can't seem to go the 7,500).

Norm In Norman
7/10/2006, 03:49 PM
Orielly has the filter 6.99 or less
As far as oil goes I use their brand , 30 Wt.
125,000 and no problems . So use what you want
So O'Reilly has Nissan branded filters and oil? Hmmmmm. It has to be cheaper than the $28 they normally charge at the dealership.

Boarder
7/10/2006, 03:58 PM
Some Nissan spin-on filters will have an internal check valve to keep oil inside the Nissan oil filter when the engine is off. This helps the engine get oil faster when it is just started up.

Funny, every time I change the oil, my filter is just chock full of oil that spills out on my hand. :D

www.drivewire.com has the filters for 3.01. I'd say if they're that cheap, just use the Nissan ones.

olevetonahill
7/10/2006, 03:59 PM
So O'Reilly has Nissan branded filters and oil? Hmmmmm. It has to be cheaper than the $28 they normally charge at the dealership.
I musta mistyped
They have the Wix and I use Oreilly brand oil
If you can get a Nissan brand for 4 bucks thats a better deal . But the Fram and WIX are made to that cars specs

Hamhock
7/10/2006, 04:12 PM
The wife's car says 7,500 miles, but that doesn't stop the oil change guy from putting the next interval on the sticker at 3,000 miles.

And I don't really mind synthetic. I mean, you really shouldn't be able to tell the difference if the surgeon is any good.

This is freaking hilarious and not one comment.

You people are idiots.

RacerX
7/10/2006, 04:22 PM
Mobil 1 synthetic. Mobil 1 or Fram filters.

Everybody that posts here is right.

Taxman71
7/10/2006, 04:59 PM
Oh, and Norm - get ready for your 'Service Req' or 'Check Eng' light to come on if you don't change it on time.

The new cars are kinda b1tchy.
FYI - the "Service Engine Light" came on a couple of months ago on my 2001 Ford. I finally decided to bite the bullet and let the dealer run diagnostics last week on it. Turns out the DPRE valve (or something similar) needed replacing and Ford extended the warranty to 60k or 5 years. Since I had 59,600 miles on it, I was pleased it did not cost me a penny (a few hundred otherwise).

If anyone has a Ford with this problem, take it to the dealer ASAP (assuming you have less than 50k mileage)

Getem
7/10/2006, 06:15 PM
Here's some information from a guy who cut up a bunch of filters
http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters.html
Seems to say Fram is one to avoid, except for maybe the Tough Guard series
Also, I'm no furrin car expert, but how does keeping oil in the filter also keep it in the cylinders? Don't the cylinders drain to the drain pan?

StoopTroup
7/10/2006, 06:20 PM
I'm guessing the art of cross referencing is now a lost art.

oumartin
7/10/2006, 06:25 PM
just my experience..
I have used penzoil and ended up having the perafin(sp) scraped from the pan.(this was on my first car ever)
I have used Trop artic 5w-30 the entire life of my last honda. i changed it every 2500-3000 miles religiously.. I used a 6 dollar filter(name if forget).
I put 250,000 miles on it and it was running strong when i traded it in.

this honda. i'm trying Q.S. 5w-20 and will until I get rid of the car. so far so good.

Newbomb Turk
7/10/2006, 06:30 PM
I have used Trop artic 5w-30 the entire life of my last honda. i changed it every 2500-3000 miles religiously.. I used a 6 dollar filter(name if forget).

this honda. i'm trying Q.S. 5w-20 and will until I get rid of the car. so far so good.

They're Hondas. They will run forever.

oumartin
7/10/2006, 06:36 PM
well, maybe he should just forget the oil and buy a honda..

C&CDean
7/10/2006, 08:16 PM
just my experience..
I have used penzoil and ended up having the perafin(sp) scraped from the pan.(this was on my first car ever)

5-20? Are you a chick?

1. The whole "change your oil every 3,000 miles" has been proven to be the biggest marketing scam ever in the history of the world.

2. If you change your oil any more regularly than 6-7K, you're throwing away perfectly good oil, and contaminating my environment.

3. Valvoline, Pennzoil, Quaker State, Kendall, and pretty much every other oil except Trop-Artic (cheap gas station oil) is fine. Actually, Trop Artic is fine too. They're all good.

4. Synthetic oil is just another rip-off of the ignorant masses.

oumartin
7/10/2006, 08:52 PM
just going by the car specs there Dean..
will you warranty my car if I use your recommended oil and time?

C&CDean
7/10/2006, 09:03 PM
You sure you ain't reading "what oil to use in Alaska?"

In Oklahoma, you should never us 20 wt. 5-30 or 10-30 at the lightest. I don't care what your little book says.

And no, I won't warranty jack. I'm just telling you, as a FACT, if you change your oil any more regularly than 5-7K, you're throwing away good oil. I've been twisting wrenches since before you were born, I know what the **** I'm talking about.

critical_phil
7/10/2006, 09:14 PM
5W-20.

7500 miles.

just like my little book says to........

RacerX
7/10/2006, 09:22 PM
New Hondas 0-20w.

I **** you not.

oumartin
7/10/2006, 09:40 PM
okay, heres a question.
do you change your oil after your car sits all night and it all drains into the pan or when its warm?
on the freakin' hondas when you pull the filter and the oil is warm you get your arm soaked with oil.. worst filter positions ever.

olevetonahill
7/10/2006, 10:03 PM
I use a straight 30 wt and then use hand cleaner , after I change it ;)

SicEmBaylor
7/10/2006, 10:45 PM
Let's see. I started actually driving my car 5 years ago and I'm not so sure I've ever had the oil changed. Maybe I should go do that tomorrow...

OUinFLA
7/10/2006, 10:53 PM
If I dont change my oil on time..........I get an email.
Which makes me realize that they now have a record of how I service my truck. Makes me skered to not change it for fear of voiding my warranty.
Dang OnStar.

royalfan5
7/10/2006, 10:53 PM
Let's see. I started actually driving my car 5 years ago and I'm not so sure I've ever had the oil changed. Maybe I should go do that tomorrow...
I hope your not serious, unless you put don't put many miles on your car.

oumartin
7/10/2006, 11:02 PM
hey sic em!
the key is to have a small enuff oil leak that you always keep fresh oil in the car.. but not to big that you can't keep enuff oil in the car.

SicEmBaylor
7/10/2006, 11:15 PM
I hope your not serious, unless you put don't put many miles on your car.
;)

Half of what I say is a put on; the other half is quite serious. The trick is in knowing...

Where do tires go again? :confused:

critical_phil
7/10/2006, 11:50 PM

your daddy probably changes it when you're in the house having a Zima with your mom talking about recipes and fall fashions....

Sooner Eclipse
7/10/2006, 11:53 PM
You sure you ain't reading "what oil to use in Alaska?"

In Oklahoma, you should never us 20 wt. 5-30 or 10-30 at the lightest. I don't care what your little book says.

And no, I won't warranty jack. I'm just telling you, as a FACT, if you change your oil any more regularly than 5-7K, you're throwing away good oil. I've been twisting wrenches since before you were born, I know what the **** I'm talking about.

Time for me to jump into this... I have read this board for a while and normally only post during football season on the FB board. I always enjoy your posts but on this you are wrong.

Twenty years ago you would have been more accurate but today the application of a particular oil weight has more to to with engine tolerances than temperature or driving conditions. An oil's SAE/SFI API rating (SF, SG, SH etc.) is the industry standard rating the oils quality. Use your driving conditions and ambient temps compared to the base (synth, blend, dino)and quality rating to determine how long to continue using the oil.

If you are putting 5- or 10-30 into an engine with 5-20 or especially 0-20 etc. requirement you are doing it a disservice as well as decreasing its fuel mileage. No different than excessive oil changes environmentally. Even most late model V8s have the highest visc rating at 5-20 nowdays.

You can do damage within 3000 miles with the cheap oils if they dont meet mfgrs standards. Conversely you can use a true synthetic to double or triple the oil life if you apply it properly.

To the original question about anti-drainback valves. If your manual takes time to mention that it is required then make sure you are using a filter with a valve. Generally speaking, if the filter is screwed on vertically without a tip angle and is mounted low on the engine as the small block chevy, then a drainback valve is not needed but can still be useful. If the filter is mounted horizontally or at an angle then the valve is normally useful. This only applies to canister filters. Cartridge filters (filter insert types) do not contain valves as a general rule. (These have the valve integrated into the engines oiling system.) If you happen to notice that the oil light (or pressure guage) is not off within 1 second of first starting the car than you probably need a drainback valve. Especially if you notice that the light goes off significantly faster if you stop and restart the engine a second time.

On the question of synthetics, they are superior to dino oil in almost every area. But here again, it depends on the application. Ex- do not put a pure synthetic in a high mileage engine that has parrafin/carbon buildup in the crankcase. The usual result is that the buildup partially liquifies and clogs the pickup. Unless the manufacture recommends it, do not use full synthetic oils when an engine is brand new. Dino oil is better in allowing piston rings to seat more quickly. Switch over to sythetic after 5-10000 miles.

There are differences in the quality of full synthetics as well. Mobil lost a court battle over the marketing of "Synthetic" oils and the result has been a lower quality of full synthetic oils since. IMO Mobil1 cannot be beat for durability vs cost. I've run several 80s era SBCs well over 200k changing the oil every 15K using Mobil1.

Good god--- now im boring myself :texan:

afs
7/11/2006, 12:02 AM
do you have an opinion on how frequently to change oil?

Sooner Eclipse
7/11/2006, 12:15 AM
do you have an opinion on how frequently to change oil?

depends on what you are using.

as a general rule
dino oil = 3-6K
synth blend = no more than 7.5K
full synth = roughly 10K. Can be carried out further if you are observant.

Also the synth recommendation is very dependant on the manufacturer of the oil. Quaker state full synthetic < Mobil1 or Royal Purple.

Also depends on how you drive. If you do a lot of short trips or do a lot of stop and go driving you should change more frequently. If you do a lot of interstate driving you can take it to the higher limits. Today, driving habits and operating environment are more important than the ambient temperatures you are operating in.

Norm In Norman
7/11/2006, 08:03 AM
Sooner Eclipse, pulling out the big guns!

Thanks for your help everyone. Now I'm thoroughly confused. Looks like I should order my filters online, I should look into not using pennzoil, and possibly I should switch to synthetic for the next oil change.

FYI, my manual actually said something different than what I thought. There are 3 service schedules. 1) you are supposed to change your oil every 3750 miles and you are supposed to check a bunch of stuff. 2) you change your oil every 3750 and you don't check quite as much stuff. 3) you change your oil every 7500 miles and you check some of stuff, probably the same as 2). They used Penzoil this time and I didn't have to pay. How nice of them. I don't know why they used Pennzoil. Maybe it was cheapest or something.

Hamhock
7/11/2006, 09:07 AM

Don't you guys get it? It's a subtle reference to fake bewbs. Now, laugh and spek me for my brilliant humor!!! :eddie:

Norm In Norman
7/11/2006, 09:28 AM
I think I might try the Mobil 1 filter next time. It's $10 at autozone. Funnily enough, I saw a review for the filter I need on a motorcyle site. I guess it works as a motorcycle filter too.

If there is one thing I've learned from searching the interweb, it's DO NOT BUY FRAM FILTERS. First off, they are orange. Second off, they are very poorly made. I couldn't find one good review on fram filters. I'm glad I've usually bought motorcraft.

critical_phil
7/11/2006, 09:32 AM
...but fram filters have that grippy stuff that makes them easy to handle.