PDA

View Full Version : David Earl's Mom versus the Gophers!

David Earl
7/10/2006, 09:17 AM
The war is ON, you people!

I figure you folks need an update on my widowed mother. You all know she's getting old and frail. The poor soul has arthritis trouble. She struggles to get around with a cane, but that has not stopped her from gardening. Like many of her generation, she is a master gardener. She’s oft rejoiced in the delicious fruits of her agricultural labors, and often shared. But she doesn’t like sharing with gophers.

In spite of age, arthritis and a bad heart, she thinks naught of venturing out into the heat, sheltered by a cotton bonnet and bolstered by an iron spirit. She loves it! This year her gardening endeavors have met with frustration. Gophers! I know some of you people are thinking of that Bill Murray movie.

I spoke with Mom this morning, as I do every day. During the growing season she often regales me with stories of gardening perils and the cunning devices with which she overcomes them. Today I received an update on her ongoing war with the gophers. They have been particularly bad this season.

“They’ve eaten all my sunflowers. I stood there and watched as they pulled one of my black-eyed pea plants underground. Son, they’re even eating the Bermuda grass!” She is mad! My mom does not cuss; and she’ll be more than happy to cut a switch and beat you till you see the white lights of Glory Land if you don’t clean up your potty mouth. So when she talks of the evil ones (that’s the gophers, you people) she speaks with a vulgar-less venom. She deprecates the little tunnel rats without offending the Lord.

And she’s killing as many as she can. She’s found some new weapon at the local hardware store that fumigates the gophers. Mom’s not much on polluting the environment, but she’s pulling out all stops. What I’m trying to tell you is she’s on those gophers like Saddam Hussein on a Kurdish rebel. And I just want to publicly give it up to Mom. I’m sure she’ll be reaching for the camouflage paint and combat paraphernalia soon.

If you fell inclined to pray for Mom, that’s mighty nice of you. But some might think it more appropriate to whisper a prayer for them gophers.

7/10/2006, 09:30 AM
http://www.carlspackler.com/images/cs_carl.jpg

OUDoc
7/10/2006, 10:11 AM
She's got to think like a gopher, act like a gopher, and whenever possible, to look like one.

BlondeSoonerGirl
7/10/2006, 10:11 AM
This thread has potential.

NormanPride
7/10/2006, 11:06 AM
Do the gophers dance to cheesy 80s music? Because that is the time to strike, my friend.

MamaMia
7/10/2006, 11:29 AM
I know how to murder them with ease but I dont want to go there. :(

I would just trap them and have the wildlife folks let them go in the woods.

MamaMia
7/10/2006, 11:52 AM
I'm pulling for Mom. Maybe she can peddle the gopher pelts.
I'm guessing that David Earls mom is dealing with "pocket" gophers, and that she has petunias which they are highly attracted to. If that is in fact the case, then there are no pelts. :)

GDC
7/10/2006, 01:34 PM
When I used to run a commercial orchard we used gopher gassers and special gopher traps, but it was an ongoing battle and a lot of work. My grandfather used to seal up all the holes, except one and run a rubber hose from the truck exhaust into the ground.

David Earl
7/10/2006, 02:00 PM
She's currently using something that gasses the tunnels. I think the car exhaust idea is not bad. Trapping has yielded minimal results.

GDC
7/10/2006, 02:06 PM
http://www.groworganic.com/images/products/P/PAT205_hi.jpg

We also always had a mess of blue heelers, dachsunds, and other dogs who loved digging them up and eating them, so I'm sure that helped too.

David Earl
7/11/2006, 07:17 AM
I think that's the stuff, GDC. If that's not it, she's using something like it.

sanantoniosooner
7/11/2006, 07:22 AM
Back in the old days you had to dutch oven the gophers.