PDA

View Full Version : There is no way we lose the first game this year...

goingoneight
7/9/2006, 11:26 PM
At least I hope not... :( Just thought I would post a more realistic thread for now. Some say VY was the second coming. I could have sworn a UT Championship was Armageddon. Let's hope OUr Black Jesus is healthy by October.

Snrfn4ever08
7/9/2006, 11:28 PM
i'm pretty sure the fans will start jumping off the side of the stadium if we lose first game this year

goingoneight
7/9/2006, 11:45 PM
UAB damn-well better take the BCS crown if they upset us this season!!!

douxpaysan
7/10/2006, 12:11 PM
UAB damn-well better take the BCS crown if they upset us this season!!!
We got the Blazer blues worse than the TCU miscues wouldn't want to be in Bob's shoes We got the Blazer blues(Tony says "fugettaboutit")http://www.tvsquad.com/media/2006/03/Soprano.jpg

badger
7/10/2006, 05:19 PM
we would all be very sad if it happened again...but i won't condone looking past anyone, not even UAB.

just remember the horned frogs, and never look past the first game EVAR again.

1991SOONER
7/10/2006, 05:48 PM
At least I hope not... :( Just thought I would post a more realistic thread for now. Some say VY was the second coming. I could have sworn a UT Championship was Armageddon. Let's hope OUr Black Jesus is healthy by October.

Don't say theres no way, that'll jinxs us and we'll lose:(

goingoneight
7/10/2006, 10:04 PM
Well, I'm not superstitious... I would be happy to see us set the world on fire in OUr first game. There were way to many nail-biters in 2005. We're due for about three more 2003-like seasons...

badger
7/10/2006, 11:55 PM
Well, I'm not superstitious... I would be happy to see us set the world on fire in OUr first game. There were way to many nail-biters in 2005. We're due for about three more 2003-like seasons...

...sans KSU and USC, right?

soonerboy_odanorth
7/11/2006, 08:51 AM
In 2001 UAB beat LSU at LSU at night... not sayin' just sayin'. We have to have it buckled up very first game. They will be upset minded, and they do have the additional assistance from the Texas staff on personnel evaluation/weaknesses, etc. I expect a hard fought low-scoring game. Us on top, but not by much.

Snrfn4ever08
7/11/2006, 11:08 AM
In 2001 UAB beat LSU at LSU at night... not sayin' just sayin'. We have to have it buckled up very first game. They will be upset minded, and they do have the additional assistance from the Texas staff on personnel evaluation/weaknesses, etc. I expect a hard fought low-scoring game. Us on top, but not by much.
you are joking, right?

Mac94
7/11/2006, 11:18 AM
It was 2000 that UAB beat LSU in Baton Rouge 13-10. LSU went 8-4 that year. Not the first game of the year for either team, the game was played on sept 28th.

Mac94
7/11/2006, 11:25 AM
UAB versus BCS conference teams the last few years:

2005 - Loss @Tennessee (5-6) 10-17
2004 - Win over Baylor (3-8) 56-14
2004 - Loss @Florida State (9-3) 7-34
2004 - Win @Mississippi St. (3-8) 27-13
2003 - Win @Baylor (3-9) 24-19
2003 - Loss @South Carolina (5-7) 10-42
2003 - Loss @Georgia (11-3) 13-16
2002 - Loss @Florida (8-5) 3-51
2002 - Loss to Pittsburgh (9-4) 20-26

Snrfn4ever08
7/11/2006, 11:34 AM
UAB versus BCS conference teams the last few years:

2005 - Loss @Tennessee (5-6) 10-17
2004 - Win over Baylor (3-8) 56-14
2004 - Loss @Florida State (9-3) 7-34
2004 - Win @Mississippi St. (3-8) 27-13
2003 - Win @Baylor (3-9) 24-19
2003 - Loss @South Carolina (5-7) 10-42
2003 - Loss @Georgia (11-3) 13-16
2002 - Loss @Florida (8-5) 3-51
2002 - Loss to Pittsburgh (9-4) 20-26
i can't say they have any wins there that scare me

Mac94
7/11/2006, 11:49 AM
No, the only two games that stand out are two losses, 17-10 last year against a down Tennessee team and a 16-13 loss at Georgia a few years ago.

And, given TCU last year, I'd be shocked if OU came out flat or looking past UAB. I believe Stoops won't allow that.

Snrfn4ever08
7/11/2006, 12:15 PM
No, the only two games that stand out are two losses, 17-10 last year against a down Tennessee team and a 16-13 loss at Georgia a few years ago.

And, given TCU last year, I'd be shocked if OU came out flat or looking past UAB. I believe Stoops won't allow that.
yea, i think that tcu game tends to give a little bit of extra motivation

soonerboy_odanorth
7/11/2006, 01:24 PM
surely you are joking, right?

No, I'm not joking... and don't call me Shirley.

One multiple choice question:

Last year prior to the start of the season you thought:

A) We'd hang half a hundred on TCU by half and let the scrubs play the rest of the game and pretty much rout them without too much sweat.

B) We'd hang half a hundred on TCU in the game, but when the scrubs got in they'd let TCU score a couple or three meaningless touchdowns to make it look closer than it was.

C) We'd play a fairly hard-fought game, with it being a little close for comfort at the end of the first half but us pulling away to win by 3 or 4 TD's by the end.

D) We'd play a fairly hard-fought game throughout and win by a TD or 2.

E) We'd play a game against TCU that would scare us to death, but being the Sooner magicians that we are and it being the home opener we would pull it out to win at the end.

F) TCU would come into OUr house in the home opener, pretty much dominate the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball, force us into multiple turnovers, play cleanly and efficiently on offense, win the game, have Osama Bin Laden turn himself in, solve the starvation problem in Asia and Africa, cure all forms of cancer and AIDS, correct global warming, bring peace to the Middle East, get Democrats and Republicans to work together for the betterment of all mankind, successfully cross-breed turkeys and pigs for the best-tasting flying barbeque we could dream of, make 'horn fans congenial, intelligent, and respectful, and open a ski resort in Hell.

Snrfn4ever08
7/11/2006, 01:35 PM
No, I'm not joking... and don't call me Shirley.

One multiple choice question:

Last year prior to the start of the season you thought:

A) We'd hang half a hundred on TCU by half and let the scrubs play the rest of the game and pretty much rout them without too much sweat.

B) We'd hang half a hundred on TCU in the game, but when the scrubs got in they'd let TCU score a couple or three meaningless touchdowns to make it look closer than it was.

C) We'd play a fairly hard-fought game, with it being a little close for comfort at the end of the first half but us pulling away to win by 3 or 4 TD's by the end.

D) We'd play a fairly hard-fought game throughout and win by a TD or 2.

E) We'd play a game against TCU that would scare us to death, but being the Sooner magicians that we are and it being the home opener we would pull it out to win at the end.

F) TCU would come into OUr house in the home opener, pretty much dominate the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball, force us into multiple turnovers, play cleanly and efficiently on offense, win the game, have Osama Bin Laden turn himself in, solve the starvation problem in Asia and Africa, cure all forms of cancer and AIDS, correct global warming, bring peace to the Middle East, get Democrats and Republicans to work together for the betterment of all mankind, successfully cross-breed turkeys and pigs for the best-tasting flying barbeque we could dream of, make 'horn fans congenial, intelligent, and respectful, and open a ski resort in Hell.
i pick d

OUmillenium
7/11/2006, 01:42 PM
Last year's home opener was a nightmare! I anxiously awaited alllllllllllllllllllllllllllll summer long the first game of 05 to wipe away the memories of the Orange Bowl and TCU beat us. Ugh...2 game losing streak. That was the last straw for Chuck Long in my book. He called about 1 good play that game and Paul Thompson overshot the wide open receiver. Adios ChuckHook 'em

Snrfn4ever08
7/11/2006, 01:45 PM
Last year's home opener was a nightmare! I anxiously awaited alllllllllllllllllllllllllllll summer long the first game of 05 to wipe away the memories of the Orange Bowl and TCU beat us. Ugh...2 game losing streak. That was the last straw for Chuck Long in my book. He called about 1 good play that game and Paul Thompson overshot the wide open receiver. Adios ChuckHook 'em
that play should haunt thompson for the rest of his life. don't get me wrong, i like him, he seems like a good kid and player, but i could've made that pass. had ena hit the receiver(i forget who it was), we would've had a touchdown and this game probably would've been totally different.

soonerboy_odanorth
7/11/2006, 01:57 PM
i pick d

Strangely enough, that is exactly what I was thinking going into the game last year.

Yet, we lost.

Can you explain that? Because if you can, you are also going to have to explain to me how UAB doesn't have a chance (chance) of coming in here and giving our still very young team fits, possibly pushing us right to the end in an upset bid. And btw, don't think Mack isn't giving his brother liner notes from last year's game. UAB has nowhere the talent of Texas. But it isn't bad, and they have some darn good athletes in spots. A team that is coached up well and can put their athletes in the right position always has a chance. That's football...

Snrfn4ever08
7/11/2006, 01:59 PM
Strangely enough, that is exactly what I was thinking going into the game last year.

Yet, we lost.

Can you explain that? Because if you can, you are also going to have to explain to me how UAB doesn't have a chance (chance) of coming in here and giving our still very young team fits, possibly pushing us right to the end in an upset bid. And btw, don't think Mack isn't giving his brother liner notes from last year's game. UAB has nowhere the talent of Texas. But it isn't bad, and they have some darn good athletes in spots. A team that is coached up well and can put their athletes in the right position always has a chance. That's football...
because we don't have as many unknowns as we did last year. yea, they're still young, but we actually know what most of our players can do this time around. experience plays a huge part in this too. oh, and btw, i didn't say that uab doesn't have a chance. there's always some chance, but it's not looking anywhere near as good for uab as it did for tcu this time last year

soonerboy_odanorth
7/11/2006, 05:39 PM
because we don't have as many unknowns as we did last year. yea, they're still young, but we actually know what most of our players can do this time around. experience plays a huge part in this too. oh, and btw, i didn't say that uab doesn't have a chance. there's always some chance, but it's not looking anywhere near as good for uab as it did for tcu this time last year

Ahhhhh, but is the experience in the right places? I say... not necessarily.

That o-line thingy could be tough to watch the first game. That's the main reason I think it will be low scoring. Rhett having the speed of the game down better now is going to make a difference. Some ball plays (hear me Coach Wilson?) to get AD out in space instead of just pounding him between the tackles (thanks, Chuck) should make a difference.

One more thing I think we better put a ? on... WR. We do not know if they have any consistency yet. I think right now you can count on Kelly. Every other receiver for one reason or another is a wild card. If they have opening game dropsy-jitters it could be a frustrating night.

On the plus side of things, I can't imagine what UAB could do on offense to produce much against our d. That's where it looks like to me that there's a big mismatch in our favor. But we shall see.

Snrfn4ever08
7/11/2006, 05:56 PM
Ahhhhh, but is the experience in the right places? I say... not necessarily.

That o-line thingy could be tough to watch the first game. That's the main reason I think it will be low scoring. Rhett having the speed of the game down better now is going to make a difference. Some ball plays (hear me Coach Wilson?) to get AD out in space instead of just pounding him between the tackles (thanks, Chuck) should make a difference.

One more thing I think we better put a ? on... WR. We do not know if they have any consistency yet. I think right now you can count on Kelly. Every other receiver for one reason or another is a wild card. If they have opening game dropsy-jitters it could be a frustrating night.

On the plus side of things, I can't imagine what UAB could do on offense to produce much against our d. That's where it looks like to me that there's a big mismatch in our favor. But we shall see.
the o-line, well, i don't even want to go there. as for wr, i'd have to say that you can't single malcolm kelly out as the only one we can count on. i think iglesias really showed promise at the end of last season, maybe not as much as kelly, but still, i think we can count on him. another dimension that supposedly will be used in the offense is peterson in the passing game. i know we haven't seen much of peterson receiving, but come on, it's peterson. unless he's injured, he never lets us down. one place where i don't think we have many question marks at all is defense. i know our offense can score more this year than they did against tcu last year, whereas, i don't think uab has the firepower to hang 17 on us. unless the problems in the secondary are still there this year and uab finds a way to exploit those weaknesses, i don't see any way they could win short of a complete brain fart by our team. also on defense, we know how solid our front seven are. we didn't lose anybody other than dvoracek on the line, and with all the talent we had there last year plus the players coming back from injuries, we should easily fill that void. finally, i see a huge emotional advantage because i feel the sooners will be playing with a chip on their shoulders because they were beaten at home in the opening game last year. i don't think they'll allow that to happen again.