PDA

View Full Version : Hands free is dangerous?

achiro
7/9/2006, 09:34 AM
Anyone seen the study that came out saying that hands free cell phone use is just as dangerous as regular cell phone use?

From the little I saw it seems like a very flawed study. As an example, I wonder how distracted someone is if they are just talking to a passenger in the vehicle with them? So is it just as dangerous to have a passenger in the car? So now carpooling is gonna be outlawed too?:D

crawfish
7/9/2006, 10:13 AM
It's hard to believe it's just as dangerous. The worst thing about cell phones is that they limit your ability to scan the area around you - people become more dependent on mirrors than checking over their shoulder.

However - the loss of attention is very dangerous in itself. The best way to avoid accidents is to be cognizent at all times of what's going on around you, and some people simply don't have the ability to focus on a conversation and the cars around them at the same time. How many times do you see a car going 15mph under the speed limit with a driver on the cell phone suddenly accelerate to 10mph over the speed limit, then two miles down the road be going too slow again? I'm guessing it's because they speed up when they notice how fast they're going, then turn their attention back to the phone.

soonerjoker
7/9/2006, 10:32 AM
agree with above post.

drivers like that need "cruise control".

some people can't carry on conversation with passengers & drive in a competent manner.

sanantoniosooner
7/9/2006, 10:34 AM
I only use hands free while driving occasionally.

Like when I'm eating and have to steer with my knees.

soonerjoker
7/9/2006, 10:36 AM
or applying your make-up.

yermom
7/9/2006, 12:04 PM
at least when you are talking to a passenger you know when a stopped car, or a red light is coming up by their screams

rebmus
7/9/2006, 12:09 PM
at least when you are talking to a passenger you know when a stopped car, or a red light is coming up by their screams
see,
that's why i use my hands free cell to talk to the person in front of me. they alert me when they're planning to slow, turn, stop, etc.

StoopTroup
7/9/2006, 12:15 PM
If God had meant for you to go hands free....he would have installed cell phone technology in your ear canal.

OUTromBoNado
7/9/2006, 12:28 PM
Driving hand-free is dangerous. I mean, how are you supposed to control the car with no hands on the wheel?:eddie:

Frozen Sooner
7/9/2006, 12:34 PM
The contention of the study:

Holding a conversation on a cell phone engages the same areas in your brain that driving does, so it splits your concetration. When driving, you have an internal monologue-the next time you're on your cell phone while driving, check how many times you say to the person on the phone "Wow, look at THIS jerk cutting me off" or something like that.

Other than that, the person in the passenger seat can see when you're in heavy traffic or need more concentration towards driving. The person on the phone doesn't and will keep on talking as Jerk and a couple of his buddies bracket you.

Okla-homey
7/9/2006, 01:35 PM
Other than that, the person in the passenger seat can see when you're in heavy traffic or need more concentration towards driving.

Unless she is giving you a mouth-hug.;)