PDA

View Full Version : John Blake--"Has Stoops ever won a conf champ with his own players?"

usmc-sooner
7/8/2006, 11:34 PM
Man I can not stand this guy.

Flagstaffsooner
7/8/2006, 11:39 PM
All the more reason to hate nu.

Snrfn4ever08
7/8/2006, 11:43 PM
that's funny, i pretty sure adrian peterson wasn't recruited by blake.

Sooner24
7/8/2006, 11:45 PM
Bob Stoops--"Has Blake ever won a conf champ with his own players?"

RADsooner
7/8/2006, 11:56 PM
Bob Stoops--"Has Blake ever won a conf champ with his own players?"

Bob Stoops--- "Has Blake ever had a winning season with his own players?"

Octavian
7/8/2006, 11:57 PM
link?

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
7/9/2006, 12:03 AM
the only way that statement rings true is if he's claiming white, which t'ain't close to reality...

BOOMERBRADLEY
7/9/2006, 12:03 AM
What is going on again ?

bri
7/9/2006, 12:04 AM

And if he had been, it would have been as an option QB/defensive back/returner/holder. Or maybe he could have been in charge of making sure everyone stood on the little numbered pads so we had enough guys on the field.

sooner94
7/9/2006, 12:08 AM
Blake is a complete idiot. The Cowboys could not get rid of him fast enough, and neither could we. He is angry at the world.

And yes, Stoops has. 2004 Big 12 Champs were all Stoops recruits. I assume Blake has not made that comment recently?

Sooner24
7/9/2006, 12:10 AM
And if he had been, it would have been as an option QB/defensive back/returner/holder. Or maybe he could have been in charge of making sure everyone stood on the little numbered pads so we had enough guys on the field.

http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/B00005N5PQ.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Snrfn4ever08
7/9/2006, 12:20 AM
http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/B00005N5PQ.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
perfect picture for the perfect situation:D

oumartin
7/9/2006, 08:37 AM
Who is this John Blake character?
Wasn't there alot of talk of them wanting him as the next NU head coach after they run off Callahan

Flagstaffsooner
7/9/2006, 08:40 AM
Who is this John Blake character?
Wasn't there alot of talk of them wanting him as the next NU head coach after they run off CallahanI would laugh my *** off.

King Crimson
7/9/2006, 08:50 AM
i guess Heupel and Torrance Marshall were not stoops players.

and that Quentin Griffin guy.

JohnnyMack
7/9/2006, 09:14 AM
No linky?

sportsproducer
7/9/2006, 09:41 AM
My friend and I who worked around the Sooner program throughout most of the mid to late 90's and to now spent part o fthe day reading what some Husker fans and other have posted about What John Blake did for the OU program. My friend also heard some statements that Blake made about what he accomplished for Bob Stoops at OU last year at a Husker Rally.

So we thought we should look into the old record book and do some comparisons while throwing down some beverages. When John Blake arrived he stated that the Sooners had a long way to go to ever compete in a championship but that he would recruit the players and "he" would make it happen. When Bob Stoops arrived he said he would not concede any games and planned on being in a championship right away.

Here are the list of players that Both Coaches inherited that played significant time, more than 2 years, in the NFL.

What John Blake was left from the Gibbs/*************** era:

D.E. Rod Manuel Pitt '97 - '00
D.T. Barron Tanner Mia/Wash/Az '97-'04
O.T. Ben Cavil Balt '97 - '99
R.B. James Allen Hou/Chi/Hou '97 - '04
D.T Martin Chase Balt/N.O./Wash/NYG/Jacks '98-present
T.E. Stephen Alexander Wash/S.D./Det/Den '98 - present
D.E. Travian Smith Oak '98 - present
D.T. Kelly Greg Cinc/Phil/Balt '99 - present
R.B. Jermaine Fazande S.D. '99 - '02
R.B. DeMond Parker Green Bay '99 - '01
D.B. Corey Ivy N.E./T.B./Stl '99 - present

Only 4 other schools had more players drated than OU during this time. Exactky what was Blake rebuilding? How in the world did thee guys only win 12 games in 3 years?

What Bob Stoops was left from John Blake

O.T. Stockar McDougal Det/Buf/Mia '00 - Present
D.B. William Bartee K.C. '00 - Present
D.B Roy Williams Dallas '02 - present
T.E. Josh Norman S.D./Oak '02 - present
L.B. Rocky Calmus Tenn/Ind '02 - '05
D.B. Andre Woolfolk Tenn '03 - present

The most succesfull QB's in theBlake era where not recruited by him. There where no QB's on Campus when Bob Stoops arrived so he went out and in the first class signed a Hiesman winner, runner up and an invitee. The three QB's signed in Bob Stoops first class won a National Title, Played for two more, won two BCS bowl games and played in 4 all together and won 3 Big 12 championships
The most successful Runningbacks in the John Blake era where not recruited by him. So far Bob Stoops has recruited the fourth leading career rusher in OU history and the single season rushing leader and a hiesman trophy runner-up. Blakes most productive recievers were not recruited by him. Bob Stoops has recruited the two most productive recievers in OU history.

Makes you wonder just where the Sooner program would be if Bob Stoops and staff took over in 1996 instead of John Blake with all the talent that was already in Norman.

royalfan5
7/9/2006, 09:57 AM
Thanks for reminding me we have him on staff. I try to forget that.

Flagstaffsooner
7/9/2006, 10:10 AM
Thanks for reminding me we have him on staff. I try to forget that.This is our revenge for '71.;)

Soonerman08
7/9/2006, 10:24 AM
John Blake is an idiot.....Callenberger can have him.

sooner94
7/9/2006, 10:37 AM
Sportsproducer- that is very nice work.

So Stoops is a better coach that Blake. ;)

badger
7/9/2006, 12:28 PM
Straight off the Husker page:
Courtesy: NU Media Relations
Release: 07/07/2006

Former All-Big Eight selection and head coach at Oklahoma
Owns three championship rings, including one in college and two in the NFL

Considered by many to be the nation's top recruiter, John Blake is a former head coach in the Big 12 Conference and brings a unique blend of collegiate and NFL experience to the Husker staff. Blake works directly with the Nebraska defensive linemen, including the tackles and defensive ends.

Blake's proteges on the defensive line played a major part in the resurgence of the Blackshirt defense in 2005. The Huskers finished the campaign ranked in the top 30 nationally in all four major defensive categories, including being the top-ranked unit in the country for sacks and tackles for loss.

Under Blake's guidance, defensive end Adam Carriker returns in 2006 as a preseason All-American after registering a league-high 9.5 sacks as a junior. Carriker helped the Huskers post the second-highest number of sacks (50) and tackles for loss (140) in school history, including 33.5 by Blake's defensive linemen. Carriker was the team's defensive MVP and was named to the All-Big 12 first team while also being selected for the Lombardi Award watch list in 2005.

Carriker was not the only Blake pupil to earn major accolades, as defensive end Barry Turner earned first-team freshman All-America honors after posting an NU freshman record six sacks last year. Overall, the Huskers return 34.5 of the team's 50 sacks from 2005, including 22 by Blake's defensive linemen and ends.

In the spring, a pair of Blake's pupils joined the professional ranks as Le Kevin Smith and Titus Adams were selected in the 2006 NFL Draft by the New England Patriots and New York Jets, respectively. The selection of Smith and Adams gives the Huskers a total of 11 defensive linemen selected in the past nine NFL drafts.

In 2004, Blake's defensive line helped Nebraska rank second in the league and 11th nationally in rushing defense. The Huskers allowed just 104.0 rushing yards per game, including a league-low 2.9 yards per attempt.

Since joining the Husker staff, Blake has also played a prominent role in Nebraska landing some of the best recruiting classes in the country over the past three seasons, including reeling in a top-five ranked recruiting class according to several recruiting services in 2005. His role in luring the nation's top prep athletes to Nebraska led to Blake's inclusion as a finalist for National Recruiter of the Year according to Rivlas.com.

Blake came to Nebraska from Mississippi State where he served as the defensive line coach for one year. He was the director of a professional developmental camp called "A Chance To Advance Football Camp" for four years before joining MSU. Among his clients were Miami Dolphins defensive end Jason Taylor, Atlanta Falcons linebacker Keith Brooking, New Orleans Saints defensive end Darren Howard and Indianapolis Colts defensive end Dwight Freeney.

A former All-Big Eight nose guard at Oklahoma, Blake played for Coach Barry Switzer from 1979 to 1982. He coached at OU under Switzer and Gary Gibbs and also paired with Switzer in the NFL at Dallas, serving as the Cowboys’ defensive line coach from 1993 to 1995.

At OU, Blake began as a student assistant working with the defensive line in 1985 and earned a national championship ring that season. The Sooners lost just two games during his first tenure on the staff as a student assistant.

Blake’s first full-time assistant position was at Tulsa in 1987 and 1988, where he coached the tight ends and wide receivers. He returned to his alma mater in 1989 as the Sooners’ defensive line coach, then served as Gibbs’ linebackers coach from 1990 to 1992.

After being lured by Jimmy Johnson to Dallas, five players made the Pro Bowl during Blake's three seasons with the Cowboys. Blake's defensive line was considered part of one of the best defenses in the NFL during his tenure. Dallas won two Super Bowls (1993 and 1995) during Blake’s term with the Cowboys, the first under Johnson and the second under Switzer. Dallas' 1994 defensive front led the league in rush defense and the entire unit was the NFL’s top-ranked defense and second in the NFL in sacks.

Blake returned to his alma mater to serve as head coach of the Sooners from 1996 to 1998. In those three years, OU posted 3-8, 4-8 and 5-6 records, respectively, and Blake was responsible for recruiting the majority of the starters on Oklahoma’s 2000 national championship team.

Blake earned his bachelor’s degree in public relations and recreation from Oklahoma in 1986. He and his wife Freda (Tulsa, Okla.) have one son, Jourdan.

The Blake File

Date and Place of Birth: Born on March 6, 1961, in Rockford, Ill.

Family: Wife, Freda; son Jourdan (10)

Education: University of Oklahoma, bachelors in public relations and recreation, 1986

Playing Experience: 1979-82, Oklahoma

Coaching Experience: 1985, Oklahoma (student assistant/defensive line); 1986, Oklahoma (graduate assistant); 1987-88, Tulsa (assistant coach/tight ends/wide receivers); 1989, Oklahoma (assistant coach/defensive line); 1990-92, Oklahoma (assistant coach/linebackers); 1993-95, Dallas Cowboys (assistant coach/defensive line); 1996-1998, Oklahoma (head coach); 2003, Mississippi State (assistant coach/defensive line); 2004-present, Nebraska (assistant coach/defensive line)

Recruiting Emphasis: California (Southern), Florida (Miami), New Jersey, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Texas (Southern, Houston, Galveston)

There you have it, he RECRUITED THE MAJORITY OF THE STARTERS FOR THE 2000 NAT'L CHAMPIONSHIP TEAM.

Oh and he has three championship rings, but that should be FOUR, as he recruited our championship starters.

And now, have an obligatory picture:
http://xostech.cache.streamos.com/pics12/400/EX/EXYNCRQUUEXZPKC.20040204154512.jpg

And a link to it all:
http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=2&SPID=22&DB_OEM_ID=100&ATCLID=31346&Q_SEASON=2006

CrimsonChampion
7/9/2006, 12:45 PM
The guy is a great recruiter, just not head coach material. Coach Switzer was the one who endorsed him to be our coach. He's a player's coach like Barry, just not a guy that needs to be running the show. It's sad he has to have bad feelings toward his old school like this, he should know as well as anyone, if you suck at OU and contribute to us being the laughing stock of power house football programs, you gotta go.

I would love to have him as a recruiter in the Stoops regime, if he hadn't been head coach of course.

If his comment about Coach Stoops and Big 12 titles is true, he just lost a little bit of respect from me, which I'm sure he could care less. He's just a sack, a good recruiter, but a sack.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
7/9/2006, 12:48 PM
The guy is a great recruiter, just not head coach material...I would love to have him as a recruiter in the Stoops regime, if he hadn't been head coach of course...If his comment about Coach Stoops and Big 12 titles is true, he just lost a little bit of respect from me, which I'm sure he could care less. He's just a sack, a good recruiter, but a sack.

:mad: argh! why is this myth still pushed on this board?

Scott D
7/9/2006, 01:10 PM

because it's easier to perpetuate this one than the one of Gibbs being a pretty decent to good DC before he became the HC. ;)

royalfan5
7/9/2006, 01:14 PM
To be fair, he has been a better recruiter at Nebraska than his direct predecessors were.

King Crimson
7/9/2006, 02:07 PM
rhymes with fool, starts with T.

ouflak
7/9/2006, 02:16 PM
"Has Stoops ever won a conf champ with his own players?"

Does anybody have a link to where this statement came from? I'm kind of doubting this was ever said. The fact that nobody can provide a link isn't helping. Yet this statement is being attributed to Blake in this thread.

Readyfor8
7/9/2006, 02:35 PM
To be fair, he has been a better recruiter at Nebraska than his direct predecessors were.

Really? Where is his heisman trophy winning QB and when is he going to field a team that plays a National Championship game? Truth is you should be aiming for being competitive in the BigXII not comparing Callahan and Blake to Solich who actually did something.

Even money if Ohio Uni played Nebraska Uni right now. Screw the Huskers and their throat slashing hillbilly HC!!!

royalfan5
7/9/2006, 02:45 PM
Really? Where is his heisman trophy winning QB and when is he going to field a team that plays a National Championship game? Truth is you should be aiming for being competitive in the BigXII not comparing Callahan and Blake to Solich who actually did something.

Even money if Ohio Uni played Nebraska Uni right now. Screw the Huskers and their throat slashing hillbilly HC!!!
The Heisman winning QB that Osborne recruited? The core group of players that Osborne recruited for the last National title team. Fact is, Frank Solich let the talent level at Nebraska slip badly, if you couldn't see that, you were blinded by the colors on the Uniform.

OKC-SLC
7/9/2006, 02:48 PM
John Blake is dead to me.

King Crimson
7/9/2006, 02:55 PM
i agree that Frankie let the talent level slip, and the blackshirts were unbelievably slow in the d-backfield for a few years.....but Cally had a real good class and last year's class was ranked in the high 20's and around 30 by most (except husker/callahan shil Lemming). so, this Nebraska as recruiting juggernaut stuff you see from most huskers around the net still needs some proof to be pudding.

when they start signing players that USC, UT, ND, tOSU, OU and the Fla schools are in on regularly.....then, sure. but that's not happening right now.

Husker fan is quick to forget that they were lucky to beat Pitt, ISU, and Tech last year and lost to Kansas and were hammered by Mizzou....and the "big win" over CU was over a team that had quit on Barnett.

and beating Michigan under Carr is starting to mean less and less....

royalfan5
7/9/2006, 03:03 PM
i agree that Frankie let the talent level slip, and the blackshirts were unbelievably slow in the d-backfield for a few years.....but Cally had a real good class and last year's class was ranked in the high 20's and around 30 by most (except husker/callahan shil Lemming). so, this Nebraska as recruiting juggernaut stuff you see from most huskers around the net still needs some proof to be pudding.

when they start signing players that USC, UT, ND, tOSU, OU and the Fla schools are in on regularly.....then, sure. but that's not happening right now.

Husker fan is quick to forget that they were lucky to beat Pitt, ISU, and Tech last year and lost to Kansas and were hammered by Mizzou....and the "big win" over CU was over a team that had quit on Barnett.

and beating Michigan under Carr is starting to mean less and less....
I agree with your recruiting asserstions, but at least NU is trying in recruiting again. Also we lost to Tech last year after a furious rally, we had a DT fumble away the game sealing interception very late in the game. Tech was a very lucky team last year. We barely beat K-State in a bizarre game in which Memorial Stadium was turned into wind tunnel and all sorts of strange things happened to both teams.

ouflak
7/9/2006, 03:12 PM
"Has Stoops ever won a conf champ with his own players?"

Does anybody have a link to where this statement came from? I'm kind of doubting this was ever said. The fact that nobody can provide a link isn't helping. Yet this statement is being attributed to Blake in this thread.

bri
7/9/2006, 03:29 PM

I think our willingness to believe this unverified quote stems from the fact that Boo has been spewing this crap for SIX YEARS. It's not like it's a new thing for him to have a brain fart like that.

sooner518
7/9/2006, 04:33 PM
Unfortunately for Blake, the only thing that matters:
1996: 3-8
1997: 4-8
1998: 5-6

At least he was improving.:rolleyes:

OUstud
7/9/2006, 05:05 PM
My childhood wasn't the typical one of OU fans. One of my first vague game memory was in 1996, in the pouring rain, when Sand Aggy beat us to (I believe) cap a 3-8 season. After that, I sadly remember very well: sitting at the 50 yard line with 30,000 other fans in below freezing temperatures as the Texas Aggy slaughtered us, 51-7, watching from home as NU completely and utterly blew us away 69-7, losing by 23 at home to Aggy, getting shut out by Northwestern, having to break up a 2 point conversion with time running out to beat Baylor Before They Were Respectable Baylor, missing extra point after extra point and FG after FG and losing to Cal Before They Were Cal at home, getting molested like we were sheep in Stoolwater, having Ricky Williams run all over us, and getting shut out in Collie Station. I remember watching college football on ABC as teams like Ohio State and Michigan were on a lot and thinking, "Dammit, Tootsie Roll (my nickname for Blake), why?"

So John Blake, have you ever won with anyone's players?

King Crimson
7/9/2006, 05:09 PM
that Northwestern game still rankles me. we got shutout, but we should have been up by a couple TD's in the first half. i remember sports talk radio host Bob Kemp saying that night that we were the worst coached team he'd ever seen.

thanks JB.

usmc-sooner
7/9/2006, 05:51 PM

I was supposedly said at a recent Husker Caravan thing. I heard it from a Husker fan. I'm sorry I can't link a conversation I had. Believe it or don't. I have however seen interviews of him on TV where he's basically said the same thing.

101sooner
7/9/2006, 06:31 PM
that Northwestern game still rankles me. we got shutout, but we should have been up by a couple TD's in the first half. i remember sports talk radio host Bob Kemp saying that night that we were the worst coached team he'd ever seen.

thanks JB.

My wife and I went to that game. It's the only OU game that I've ever fell asleep in.

thanks JB.

1991SOONER
7/9/2006, 06:38 PM
I just think he is too damn fat. He needs to lose weight. Ha ha.

StoopTroup
7/9/2006, 06:46 PM
I thank God for John Blake.

If we would have gotten a really good Coach instead of JB...we might not have been looking for a new Coach when Bob Stoops decided he was ready to make a move to Head Coach.

Thanks John! :D

the_ouskull
7/9/2006, 07:10 PM
I was going to do some research on his "over half of OU's 2000 championship team" statement, but I decided against it. I KNOW that there were 23 freshman or sophomores starting against FSU, and I also know that Blake is a complete idiot. He single-handedly tried to ruin OU football, and now the arrogant sh*t is taking CREDIT for it.

the_ouskull

NormanPride
7/9/2006, 07:25 PM
Didn't he erase the computers of recruiting material and take all the tapes with him? That guy deserves cosmic nutshots for the rest of his natural life.

badger
7/9/2006, 07:31 PM
hey guys, I've got an even BETTER picture for us to make fun of!

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/26/264506.jpg

JB, thank you for Rocky and Roy. The rest... eh. :)

EDIT: Okay, I was curious about the quote, so I tried to find it, but found an even BETTER quote:

"I guarantee you he'd love to walk out of this field with 85,000 people hanging their heads,"

There you have it-- he wants OU fans to hang their heads. The entire article on the OU/NU game from a few years ago can be seen here:
http://www.journalstar.com/articles/2004/11/12/huskerextra/doc418f0b40eaf49855545402.txt

sooner94
7/9/2006, 07:38 PM

If we would have gotten a really good Coach instead of JB...we might not have been looking for a new Coach when Bob Stoops decided he was ready to make a move to Head Coach.

I have always thought the same thing. After 3 bad years under Blake the timing was perfect to get Stoops.

And I also recall the Orange Bowl against Free Shoes University when at times we had 4 or 5 freshmen on the field playing defense. I read an article once where Stoops was talking about the game. He said he looked over to Mike Stoops and says "Should we have so many freshmen on the field at one time?" Mike Stoops says, "Don't worry, their playing well." I'm getting off track here, but that was the best defensive performance I have ever seen.

OKC-SLC
7/9/2006, 07:43 PM
I'm getting off track here, but that was the best defensive performance I have ever seen.
And let's not forget--that FSU team averaged something sick like 575 yds per game. Yes, against some conference patsies, but a great offense.

Big Red Ron
7/9/2006, 08:01 PM
2000 FSU was one of ESPN's first attemts to anoint a team the "Best ever, " remember they were going for back to back

101sooner
7/9/2006, 08:14 PM

OU vs. Cal in Norman 1998. In my opinion, that was the turning point for OU. Had Ferguson made either of two FG's, OU goes 6-5, bowling, and Tits' Blake is still our head coach.

I walked away from that game realizing that Tits' had just blown his last chance. I'd tried so hard to support him, but damn....that was horrible. Looking forward at the schedule, all he had to do was win that one game and he was guaranteed to have a winning a season and go to a bowl game. Screw the missed FG's, if he would have just let Fletcher run the triple-option, OU would have won the game by a couple of TD's. Instead, we switch philosophies every other play and watch Patrick Fletcher, Brandon Daniels and Jarrod Reese run around.........

never mind.

thanks JB.

Octavian
7/9/2006, 08:17 PM
John Blake listens to Ashlee Simpson....

and likes it.

sportsproducer
7/9/2006, 08:21 PM
I was going to do some research on his "over half of OU's 2000 championship team" statement, but I decided against it. I KNOW that there were 23 freshman or sophomores starting against FSU, and I also know that Blake is a complete idiot. He single-handedly tried to ruin OU football, and now the arrogant sh*t is taking CREDIT for it.

the_ouskull

Here are the players that Blake recruited who started.
OT Frank Romero. (Moved from DE and became All-Conference)
OG Al Baysinger
OG Matt Skinner
OT Scott Kempinich
HB Seth Littrell (A Sooner prodigy who was coming to OU regardless)
WR Andre Woolfolk (Moved from Free safety to CB/WR after Stoops arrival)
T.E. Trent Smith (Stated he was coming to OU anyway. Redshirted in '98)
D.T Ryan Fisher
D.E. Corey Callens
LB Rocky Calmus (Stated he came to OU becasue of Rex Ryan and Phil Bennett)
SS Roy Williams (Moved from OLB after Stoops arrival)
FS JT THatcher (Moved from running back after Stoops arrival)

Other noteable players left over from John Blake that was on the 2000 team.
DB/LB Ontei Jones
WR Damian Mackey (Moved from DB after Stoops arrival)
WR Curtis Fagan (moved from DB after Stoops arrival)
TE Josh Norman (moved from RB after Stoops arrival)

Stoops recruited starters on 200 teams
QB Josh Heuple (there were no QBs on campus when Bob arrived)
RB Quinten Griffin
WR Antwone Savage
LE Corey Heinecke
DT Kory Klien (true freshman in 2000)
LB Torrance Marshall
CB Micheal Thompson (true fresman in 2000)
CB Derek Strait

Other noteables to play in 2000
RB Renaldo Works (true Freshman in 2000)
DE Jimmy Wilkerson (true Freshman in 2000)
DE Dan Cody (true freshman in 2000)
LB Teddy Lehman (True Freshman in 2000)

Octavian
7/9/2006, 08:29 PM
So there were 6 Blake-recruited guys on the 2000 team who didn't switch positions once Bob arrived.

Congrats, Huskers...you sure found a fat diamond in the rough :rolleyes:

still hoping for a link

AlbqSooner
7/9/2006, 08:37 PM
This is our continuing revenge for '71.;)
Fixed it for ya.:D

badger
7/9/2006, 08:42 PM
the search continues, but i hope this provides more insight:

Blake's abilities help Nebraska build quality
By JOHN E. HOOVER World Sports Writer
1/30/2005

View in Print (PDF) Format

Cornhuskers secure some of nation's top football recruits.
Some think John Blake's recruiting skills are unparalleled. Others think his tactics are phony.

Regardless of which is closer to the truth, one thing is certain: Blake can flat-out recruit high school football players.

"It's because I love the Lord," Blake said Saturday while racing through an airport on a recruiting trip. "God has put a passion in me for people, period."

A lot of Oklahoma Sooner fans snickered when new Nebraska coach Bill Callahan made Blake a priority hire last year. But the snickering stopped when Blake, Nebraska's defensive line coach, got a verbal commitment from Ada lineman Craig Roark last June. And a month later, the snickering turned to bickering when Blake returned to the Sooner state and got a verbal from Jenks linebacker Phillip Dillard.

Now Blake is close on arguably the state's best player, Edmond Santa Fe defensive back Reggie Smith. The national signing period begins on Wednesday, and Smith has said he will wait until then to announce his decision between Oklahoma, USC and Nebraska. That would give Nebraska three of the top five players in Oklahoma, and all are four-star recruits, according to Rivals.com.

Oklahoma
fans -- still bitter over the Sooners' three years of misdirection and all-time futility under Blake as head coach -- believe something is just not right.

OU and USC went unbeaten in the regular season and played for a second consecutive national championship just three weeks ago, a month after Nebraska finished the year 5-6 and didn't make it to a bowl game for the first time in more than 40 years. Clearly, one of these things doesn't belong -- at least right now -- but Smith reportedly puts the Huskers on the same playing field as the Sooners and Trojans.

"How many kids have the No. 1 and 2 teams in nation fighting over them and want them that bad?" said Edmond Santa Fe coach Dan Cocannauer. "Then you see Nebraska, and you think, 'Why Nebraska?' I don't know. But John Blake, he could sell ice cubes to Eskimos."

Smith didn't return phone messages, but Dillard and Roark spoke glowingly of their suitor.

"The thing I like most about coach Blake is he can relate to anyone," Roark said. "If there's a kid that has everything he ever wanted and never had it hard, coach Blake can relate to him and will know exactly what to say to him. Say there's a kid that was raised on the streets or lived in a park his whole life, coach Blake can relate to him. After talking to him for minute, coach Blake knows what to say and how to make you feel comfortable."

Said Dillard, "He's a real good person. He's easy to get along with. You can talk to him about football or school or you can talk to him about life. He gives you the feeling that he's really going to take care of you, even when college is over with, like he'll help you find a job or whatever. I've talked to former athletes he recruited and they said he treats you just like family. He's just a real cool person. He's a coach that people want to play for."

Tom Lemming, a longtime recruiting analyst from Chicago, said the Nebraska staff as a whole is solid, but "Blake is the superstar. . . . He's half coach, half preacher."

Lemming, now in his 27th year in the business, tours the country interviewing high school coaches and their top players. He met Blake in California in 1998 while Blake was recruiting Roy Williams to OU, and four years ago Blake traveled with Lemming on a session in Los Angeles. Lemming said he was amazed.

"The kids were just spellbound by him -- particularly the black athlete. They absolutely love this guy," Lemming said. "Not only has he had the track record of being a high school All-American, a college All-American (actually all-conference), playing in the pros, being a head coach and coaching a Super Bowl team as D-line coach with the Cowboys -- so he's actually got what the kids are looking for -- but he's also unbelievably personable."

Lemming's ratings put Nebraska's 2005 class as "far and away" the best in the country. With 31 commitments, the Huskers have quantity (Iowa and Texas A&M are next with 23). But with two five-star recruits and 12 four-stars, they also have quality. Rivals.com currently ranks Nebraska's class No. 2 behind Tennessee, and Scout.com ranks the Huskers seventh.

"He's my recruiter of the year," Lemming said.

Blake's recruiting success at OU helped Bob Stoops win the 2000 national championship, but apparently Blake's memory or his math could use an eraser. He claimed on an Oklahoma City radio station last year that he and his staff were responsible for landing 20 of the Sooners' 22 starters in the 2000 national championship victory over Florida State.

In truth, of the 33 Sooners -- not all starters -- who made significant contributions in that game, 17 were Blake recruits, 11 were recruited by Stoops and his staff, and four were Blake walk-ons who were eventually awarded scholarships by Stoops. Only one player, Michael Thompson, committed to Blake, then de-committed when he was fired, then re-pledged to Stoops. So Blake could lay claim to 22 (including four All-Americans), while Stoops could say he's responsible for 16 (with five All-Americans).

"I don't tell lies, brother," Blake said. "I don't need to tell no lies."

Either way, no one can deny Blake's proficiency on the recruiting trail.

"There's lot of coaches out there (who)tell you what you want to hear," Dillard said. "You hear that about OSU coaches, OU coaches, Texas coaches, all of them. Everything that John Blake says, he really does. He really does watch out for you, take care of you and treat you like his own kid."

Jenks coach Allan Trimble, asked if he thought Blake's tactics were sincere or snake oil, said, "I think there's a lot of sincerity. Snake oil, yeah, maybe a little bit. But I think he backs up everything he tells them. If he didn't, word would surely be out by now."

"He's a talker," said Ada coach Steve Dean. "He does a good job recruiting because he tells the kids what they want to hear. Keeping his coaching out of it, the kids, they're impressed by what people say and how fluffy and real they make it sound, and that's the thing that he's probably good at. He makes them feel welcome, like it's a family and not a business."

Much of Blake's current success should also be attributed to the overall excellence that was in Lincoln long before he got there. Trimble recalls former Trojan Bobby Klinck's visit when Frank Solich coached the Huskers. He said a roundtable of Nebraska faculty and staff -- from the school's lead physician to the dean of business -- were there to allay the Klinck family's concerns.

"They go around the room with about 15 who's-who there on the campus, and they had every answer," Trimble said.

"I mean, I couldn't personally take care of my kid as well as those guys can. They do it right. It takes a guy like John Blake to get them on campus, but they do it right once they get there."

Callahan came to Nebraska reportedly as the school's fifth choice. His success and reputation in the NFL gives detractors reason to think he'll jump back to the pros at the first chance. That would likely leave the Nebraska program in further disarray. But Roark, for one, doesn't see that happening.

"The way they've recruited and the way they're doing now, it's going to turn around real quick. That doesn't scare me," he said.

"You can't pick a school for the coach. You have to pick it for the feeling you get when you're there. The coaches help, but you can't make your final decision based on the coaches. It's good to know you have great coaches there that can help you get to the level you want to be at, but you've got to look at the big picture."

John E. Hoover 581-8384
[email protected]

OKC-SLC
7/9/2006, 09:02 PM
Nebraska deserves boo, and boo deserves nebraska.

I can't wait to beat them by 70.

picasso
7/9/2006, 09:21 PM

thanks JB.
I drove up there to watch that crap! I nearly got into 2 fight leaving that game I was so sick of our sucking.
Do you folks recall the end of that game? All world receiver Chris Lewis fumbling a kickoff and Blake hugging him as he left the field. pfffffffft!

picasso
7/9/2006, 09:35 PM
also, how in the hell does bragging about kids you recruited that eventually became great players after you were fired make you feel better?
Would he have hired Mike Leach and ran that offense? ha!
That '99 team was better than anything Blake ever dreamt of fielding, much less our great 2000 squad.
it's an insult to intelligent poeple.

JohnnyMack
7/9/2006, 10:18 PM
We had some OK talent under Blake. He wasn't the best and he wasn't the worst. I did question how said talent was trained, developed, coached, etc. Watching them on the field made me wanna set myself on fire and throw myself off the top of the stadium. It was like watching last year's TCU game every week of the season.

OUstud
7/9/2006, 10:23 PM
"I guarantee you he'd love to walk out of this field with 85,000 people hanging their heads,"

I think he achieved that, albeit with 75,000 people, when NU thrashed us 73-21 on national television.

All world receiver Chris Lewis fumbling a kickoff and Blake hugging him as he left the field. pfffffffft!

My most vivid memory of that game (keep in mind, I was 7). My reasoning at the time was "See, you stupid Aggots (my father taught me well), our coach is nice.") A year later, I was hoping he'd just overinflate or something.

bri
7/9/2006, 11:19 PM

1/30/2005

Some think John Blake's recruiting skills are unparalleled. Others think his tactics are phony.

Regardless of which is closer to the truth, one thing is certain: Blake can flat-out recruit high school football players.

"It's because I love the Lord," Blake said Saturday while racing through an airport on a recruiting trip. "God has put a passion in me for people, period."

A lot of Oklahoma Sooner fans snickered when new Nebraska coach Bill Callahan made Blake a priority hire last year. But the snickering stopped when Blake, Nebraska's defensive line coach, got a verbal commitment from Ada lineman Craig Roark last June. And a month later, the snickering turned to bickering when Blake returned to the Sooner state and got a verbal from Jenks linebacker Phillip Dillard.

Now Blake is close on arguably the state's best player, Edmond Santa Fe defensive back Reggie Smith. The national signing period begins on Wednesday, and Smith has said he will wait until then to announce his decision between Oklahoma, USC and Nebraska. That would give Nebraska three of the top five players in Oklahoma, and all are four-star recruits, according to Rivals.com.

Oklahoma
fans -- still bitter over the Sooners' three years of misdirection and all-time futility under Blake as head coach -- believe something is just not right.

OU and USC went unbeaten in the regular season and played for a second consecutive national championship just three weeks ago, a month after Nebraska finished the year 5-6 and didn't make it to a bowl game for the first time in more than 40 years. Clearly, one of these things doesn't belong -- at least right now -- but Smith reportedly puts the Huskers on the same playing field as the Sooners and Trojans.

"How many kids have the No. 1 and 2 teams in nation fighting over them and want them that bad?" said Edmond Santa Fe coach Dan Cocannauer. "Then you see Nebraska, and you think, 'Why Nebraska?' I don't know. But John Blake, he could sell ice cubes to Eskimos."

Smith didn't return phone messages, but Dillard and Roark spoke glowingly of their suitor.

"The thing I like most about coach Blake is he can relate to anyone," Roark said. "If there's a kid that has everything he ever wanted and never had it hard, coach Blake can relate to him and will know exactly what to say to him. Say there's a kid that was raised on the streets or lived in a park his whole life, coach Blake can relate to him. After talking to him for minute, coach Blake knows what to say and how to make you feel comfortable."

Said Dillard, "He's a real good person. He's easy to get along with. You can talk to him about football or school or you can talk to him about life. He gives you the feeling that he's really going to take care of you, even when college is over with, like he'll help you find a job or whatever. I've talked to former athletes he recruited and they said he treats you just like family. He's just a real cool person. He's a coach that people want to play for."

Tom Lemming, a longtime recruiting analyst from Chicago, said the Nebraska staff as a whole is solid, but "Blake is the superstar. . . . He's half coach, half preacher."

Lemming, now in his 27th year in the business, tours the country interviewing high school coaches and their top players. He met Blake in California in 1998 while Blake was recruiting Roy Williams to OU, and four years ago Blake traveled with Lemming on a session in Los Angeles. Lemming said he was amazed.

"The kids were just spellbound by him -- particularly the black athlete. They absolutely love this guy," Lemming said. "Not only has he had the track record of being a high school All-American, a college All-American (actually all-conference), playing in the pros, being a head coach and coaching a Super Bowl team as D-line coach with the Cowboys -- so he's actually got what the kids are looking for -- but he's also unbelievably personable."

Lemming's ratings put Nebraska's 2005 class as "far and away" the best in the country. With 31 commitments, the Huskers have quantity (Iowa and Texas A&M are next with 23). But with two five-star recruits and 12 four-stars, they also have quality. Rivals.com currently ranks Nebraska's class No. 2 behind Tennessee, and Scout.com ranks the Huskers seventh.

Blake's recruiting success at OU helped Bob Stoops win the 2000 national championship, but apparently Blake's memory or his math could use an eraser. He claimed on an Oklahoma City radio station last year that he and his staff were responsible for landing 20 of the Sooners' 22 starters in the 2000 national championship victory over Florida State.

In truth, of the 33 Sooners -- not all starters -- who made significant contributions in that game, 17 were Blake recruits, 11 were recruited by Stoops and his staff, and four were Blake walk-ons who were eventually awarded scholarships by Stoops. Only one player, Michael Thompson, committed to Blake, then de-committed when he was fired, then re-pledged to Stoops. So Blake could lay claim to 22 (including four All-Americans), while Stoops could say he's responsible for 16 (with five All-Americans).

"There's lot of coaches out there (who)tell you what you want to hear," Dillard said. "You hear that about OSU coaches, OU coaches, Texas coaches, all of them. Everything that John Blake says, he really does. He really does watch out for you, take care of you and treat you like his own kid."

Jenks coach Allan Trimble, asked if he thought Blake's tactics were sincere or snake oil, said, "I think there's a lot of sincerity. Snake oil, yeah, maybe a little bit. But I think he backs up everything he tells them. If he didn't, word would surely be out by now."

"He's a talker," said Ada coach Steve Dean. "He does a good job recruiting because he tells the kids what they want to hear. Keeping his coaching out of it, the kids, they're impressed by what people say and how fluffy and real they make it sound, and that's the thing that he's probably good at. He makes them feel welcome, like it's a family and not a business."

Much of Blake's current success should also be attributed to the overall excellence that was in Lincoln long before he got there. Trimble recalls former Trojan Bobby Klinck's visit when Frank Solich coached the Huskers. He said a roundtable of Nebraska faculty and staff -- from the school's lead physician to the dean of business -- were there to allay the Klinck family's concerns.

"They go around the room with about 15 who's-who there on the campus, and they had every answer," Trimble said.

"I mean, I couldn't personally take care of my kid as well as those guys can. They do it right. It takes a guy like John Blake to get them on campus, but they do it right once they get there."

Callahan came to Nebraska reportedly as the school's fifth choice. His success and reputation in the NFL gives detractors reason to think he'll jump back to the pros at the first chance. That would likely leave the Nebraska program in further disarray. But Roark, for one, doesn't see that happening.

"The way they've recruited and the way they're doing now, it's going to turn around real quick. That doesn't scare me," he said.

"You can't pick a school for the coach. You have to pick it for the feeling you get when you're there. The coaches help, but you can't make your final decision based on the coaches. It's good to know you have great coaches there that can help you get to the level you want to be at, but you've got to look at the big picture."

John E. Hoover 581-8384
[email protected] ([email protected])

wow, that Smith kid sounds good. Who ended up signing him, anyway?

:D

goingoneight
7/9/2006, 11:44 PM
The guy is a good recruiter, often times people say they hate him, but recruiters aren't necessarily always coaches. I agree that he has no place in head coaching position, anywhere, period. But a defensive line coach and a recruiter are two places he'll always have job security. I mean, how do you get any Oklahoma prospects to even consider going out of Oklahoma when OU has been so good since JB left? Roy Williams even said before that the event of Blake's firing was sad, but the show had to go on. Roy is a good guy and a great judge of character if you've never met him, and he admired JB enough to consider a 4-7 school. Can you imagine DeMarco Murray or Gerald McCoy going to OSU after their campaign as world's worst last season??? People in Arizona are beginning to getv tired of Mike Stoops for the same reason we loathed Blake. If Mike Stoops records another 3 win season (losing season) he'll be a laughing stock. I don't want him to be because I know he is a sensational DC and recruiter. Same situation there. Blake is just a little sore about OU dropping him still. Think JB, If you were the Oklahoma Athletic Director, home to a historically great football tradition, would you wanna take a chance on a homie when you could land the Nation's top Assistant Coach??? A National Champion Defensive Coordinator takes the bench to a guy with three consecutive losing seasons??? Get over yourself, Boo.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
7/10/2006, 12:05 AM
The guy is a good recruiter, often times people say they hate him, but recruiters aren't necessarily always coaches.

my problem with people's definition of a "good recruiter" is that its someone who ends up with some good players, regardless of the circumstances of how we got them.

boo fell into some serious talent, but HOW he fell into them tells more of the story than anything else.

goingoneight
7/10/2006, 12:12 AM
Well some believed the King was a good-old-boy joking with the parents and crashing at their houses and stuff, while others thought he was an @$$hole. I think coaches consider the way to go after individual recruits before they do. That explains how top-tier programs lose great players to sub-par schools like RW to OSU because of the hat incident with Schnellenboozer.

Gandalf_The_Grey
7/10/2006, 06:55 AM
haha Remember when Blake got a penalty for having 14 players on the field...12 is almost unforgivable but it happens. But 14 set a new standard that has yet to be matched!

picasso
7/10/2006, 09:15 AM
haha Remember when Blake got a penalty for having 14 players on the field...12 is almost unforgivable but it happens. But 14 set a new standard that has yet to be matched!
that was the only way we could get a punt off.

Landthief 1972
7/10/2006, 10:03 AM
Who would win in a sumo match - Blake or Mangino? I need to go fark that.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
7/10/2006, 10:10 AM
Well some believed the King was a good-old-boy joking with the parents and crashing at their houses and stuff, while others thought he was an @$$hole. I think coaches consider the way to go after individual recruits before they do. That explains how top-tier programs lose great players to sub-par schools like RW to OSU because of the hat incident with Schnellenboozer.

i'm not talking about how you go after a recruit. that is the message board definition of a good recruiter. what i'm talking about is the hindsight reevaluation of the talent a guy amassed as rubber stamp proof that a guy is a good recruiter.

recruiting is multi-faceted - there is sales, organization, and most importantly - evaluation. the sales part is where most fans want their coaches to be good, but the other two are a lot more important.

you have to be organized and know how many schollies you have, where you need them, and what the general talent projection of your current players are. no one in a million years could sell me that boo was organized.

you also have to be able to evaluate grades, talent, fit, attitude, character, size, impact, etc. in other words, if you find someone who can evaluate, then you are golden. i've talked about it before, but on our current staff -> wilson stuggles with fit and attitude; venables struggles projecting size; gundy struggles with need (selvin young over runnells???).

you see most of boo's accumulated talent were evaluation picks, yet he is known as a great salesman. he took andre woolfolk to get his more talented teammate that ended up running bogus checks at texas. TGRW was thrown at him by his aunt. no one wanted stockar so he was a sign and place.

Tear Down This Wall
7/10/2006, 10:13 AM
Someone has their Corey Ivy's mixed up.

To help:
Corey L. Ivy was a linebacker signed by Gary Gibbs in 1994

Corey T. Ivy was a cornerback signed by John Blake in 1997 out of NEO A&M. This is the Corey Ivy who made it in the NFL.

#1-Erin-Higgins-Fan
7/10/2006, 11:15 AM
I hate John Blake.

caphorns
7/10/2006, 11:44 AM
hey guys, I've got an even BETTER picture for us to make fun of!

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/26/264506.jpg

JB, thank you for Rocky and Roy. The rest... eh. :)

EDIT: Okay, I was curious about the quote, so I tried to find it, but found an even BETTER quote:

There you have it-- he wants OU fans to hang their heads. The entire article on the OU/NU game from a few years ago can be seen here:
http://www.journalstar.com/articles/2004/11/12/huskerextra/doc418f0b40eaf49855545402.txt

Until this picture, I had never seen a guy who was so fat that it blocked the sun from his entire face. Wow.

picasso
7/10/2006, 11:51 AM
it's kind of like collecting several good actors and still making a crappy movie. you need a good director.

Blake has no shame if he's honestly taking credit for Stoops' success. it's a sad tale indeed.

sooneron
7/10/2006, 11:52 AM
Roy Williams even said before that the event of Blake's firing was sad, but the show had to go on. Roy is a good guy and a great judge of character if you've never met him, and he admired JB enough to consider a 4-7 school.
Didn't Roy basically fall into Blake's lap, b/c he wasn't hot on the recruiting services due to grades and laziness? I seem to remember his aunt working at the jock cafeteria talking him up to the coaches. Stoops shows up and Roy was overweight and underachieving. His play was all Stoops' polishing.

oops, sorry jkm, missed your post about Roy.

picasso
7/10/2006, 11:57 AM
yeah and Josh Norman was thinking of leaving when Stoops came. His old man told him there was a reason he was there. He turned out to be twice the player he would have been under Blake.
Remember Travian Smith? How good would he have been on a Stoops team?
Just look at Brandon frickin Daniels. geez, we could go down the list. it's a joke.

Lucky4
7/10/2006, 12:21 PM
I'm not really sure if boo(b) said these things or not.

However, I do know that if he doesn't have a breast reduction surgery soon, he's bound to have serious back problems later.

MamaMia
7/10/2006, 12:23 PM
Blake didnt recruit Roy. His aunt, and our OU cafeteria lady did.

OUNC06
7/10/2006, 12:29 PM
People in Arizona are beginning to getv tired of Mike Stoops for the same reason we loathed Blake. If Mike Stoops records another 3 win season (losing season) he'll be a laughing stock. I don't want him to be because I know he is a sensational DC and recruiter. Same situation there. Blake is just a little sore about OU dropping him still. Think JB, If you were the Oklahoma Athletic Director, home to a historically great football tradition, would you wanna take a chance on a homie when you could land the Nation's top Assistant Coach??? A National Champion Defensive Coordinator takes the bench to a guy with three consecutive losing seasons??? Get over yourself, Boo
Mike Stoops was a great coordinator which is something that Blake has never been. If you have watched Arizona on TV they are a well organized fundamentally sound team. Mike Stoops took over a 1-10 Arizona team with very little talent, and he is building. John Blake took over a Oklahoma team loaded with NFL talent. During the Blake years OU was the most undisciplined, unorganized team(I use the term "team" loosely) ever to step onto a college football field. Comparing John Blake to Mike Stoops is like comparing Janet Reno to Anna Kournikova.

OUstud
7/10/2006, 12:47 PM
How about the "Swinging Gate" game in Stoolwater where we had around 20 penalties?

Gandalf_The_Grey
7/10/2006, 12:53 PM
Not really Blake's fault...but remember when James Allen thought in that Texas game...let's see I can run around 360 pound defensive tackle or run around him....I think I will run him over!!

stoopified
7/10/2006, 04:04 PM
My friend and I who worked around the Sooner program throughout most of the mid to late 90's and to now spent part o fthe day reading what some Husker fans and other have posted about What John Blake did for the OU program. My friend also heard some statements that Blake made about what he accomplished for Bob Stoops at OU last year at a Husker Rally.

So we thought we should look into the old record book and do some comparisons while throwing down some beverages. When John Blake arrived he stated that the Sooners had a long way to go to ever compete in a championship but that he would recruit the players and "he" would make it happen. When Bob Stoops arrived he said he would not concede any games and planned on being in a championship right away.

Here are the list of players that Both Coaches inherited that played significant time, more than 2 years, in the NFL.

Only 4 other schools had more players drated than OU during this time. Exactky what was Blake rebuilding? How in the world did thee guys only win 12 games in 3 years?

The most succesfull QB's in theBlake era where not recruited by him. There where no QB's on Campus when Bob Stoops arrived so he went out and in the first class signed a Hiesman winner, runner up and an invitee. The three QB's signed in Bob Stoops first class won a National Title, Played for two more, won two BCS bowl games and played in 4 all together and won 3 Big 12 championships
The most successful Runningbacks in the John Blake era where not recruited by him. So far Bob Stoops has recruited the fourth leading career rusher in OU history and the single season rushing leader and a hiesman trophy runner-up. Blakes most productive recievers were not recruited by him. Bob Stoops has recruited the two most productive recievers in OU history.

Makes you wonder just where the Sooner program would be if Bob Stoops and staff took over in 1996 instead of John Blake with all the talent that was already in Norman.tRUEER WORDS WERE NEVER SPOKEN.

badger
7/10/2006, 04:43 PM
speaking of recruiting, has this been posted yet? It's from ESPN ...insider
There haven't been big numbers thus far for the Sooners, but there are a couple of very good players. One in particular -- safety Austin Box from Enid, Okla. -- is one that fans in Sooner Nation should really like. He is athletic, very physical and is reminiscent of John Lynch and Chuck Cecil.

Box has the ability and range to stay at safety but also could move up and be an outside linebacker. It can be fun to watch this kid run the alley and pop ball carriers near the line of scrimmage.

As for the second part of your question, Oklahoma had a down year on the field last year, primarily because of lack of experience and injuries. Many expect Oklahoma to be a national-title contender this season, and some of that has to do with the talent landed in the previous two classes.

Naturally, with a year under their belts and in some cases some on-field experience, players from the 2005 class will play more of a role this year. Some talented '06 signees also could get a shot.

On offense, a healthy Adrian Peterson will cure a lot of ills, but the Sooners can expect help from some younger guys, too. At receiver, Malcom Kelly (Longview, Texas) began to prove his worth as a freshman last year with 33 catches and should continue to be a steady target. Two other receivers from the 2005 class, Juaquin Iglesias (Killeen, Texas) and Manuel Johnson (Gilmer, Texas), flashed some ability and should continue to get better and contribute more.

Out of the 2006 class, Adron Tennell (Irving, Texas) is a big receiver who has the ability to contribute right away if needed. The biggest grab the Sooners made in 2006 was running back DeMarco Murray (Las Vegas, Nev.-Bishop Gorman), who could help right away. He is an excellent overall athlete who could fit in nicely and make plays. It will be Peterson's show, but it will be hard to keep Murray off the field.

Young and new players will have a presence in the trenches. Center Jon Cooper (Fort Collins, Colo.) started as a true freshman and played well until injury cut his season short, but he will be back and should be improved with experience. Brandon Braxton (Youngstown, Ohio-Ursuline) also played as a true freshman and should compete for a starting job at tackle. Also look for George "Duke" Robinson (Atlanta, Ga.-Washington) to compete for playing time.

The Sooners also picked up two offensive lineman out of the Kansas junior college system who could step in and help right away. Brandon Walker (Detroit, Mich.-Coffeyville C.C.) is a big bodied guard who is a physical run blocker, and Sherrone Moore (Derby, Kan.-Butler C.C.) is a fine pass blocker. The offensive line will lack Big 12 experience but not ability. Having players like Peterson and Murray running behind them will make them look better than what they may be and should help build confidence. If they can mesh together quickly, it could be a good bunch.

On defense, young talent is there. Athletic Reggie Smith (Edmond, Okla.-Sante Fe) lined up as true freshman at safety and will make the move to corner this year. Safeties out of the 2005 class Keenan Clayton (Sulphur Springs, Texas) and Nic Harris (Alexandria, La.) will provide depth. In addition, true freshman Jonathan Nelson (Arlington, Texas-Mansfield) is a good-sized corner with ability to match up in man coverage and could help in nickel and dime packages.

The defensive line features Big 12 defensive newcomer of the year in C.J. Ah You (Highland, Utah), a 2005 transfer from Snow College in Ephraim, Utah. Ah You had seven sacks a year ago and will provide pressure again this year. Two young defensive tackles could press for serious playing time. DeMarcus Granger (Dallas, Texas-Kimball), a 2005 signee, is a talent, and true freshman Gerald McCoy (Oklahoma City, Okla.-Southeast) is a man child. When he has his gear on, he needs his birth certificate on hand to prove he is not in his 20s.

This is just a brief overview, but several players from the past two classes will be in position to play major roles for this year's team. If Oklahoma does make it back into the national-championship picture, it will be because many of these young guys stepped up.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
7/10/2006, 06:12 PM
:D:D:D I love you, NormanPride! :D:D:D

...the Sooners are okay, too.

why do you want np banned?

OKC-SLC
7/10/2006, 07:51 PM
Until this picture, I had never seen a guy who was so fat that it blocked the sun from his entire face. Wow.
top 5 funniest post evar.

OKC-SLC
7/10/2006, 07:53 PM
that was the only way we could get a punt off.
until i see video evidence, i will continue to believe blake's ou team never got a punt off.

badger
7/10/2006, 08:21 PM
why do you want np banned?

(sigh) we're engaged. I'll take it down if it'll make you, Mr. Mod, happy. :mad:

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
7/10/2006, 09:31 PM
(sigh) we're engaged. I'll take it down if it'll make you, Mr. Mod, happy. :mad:

NP, i've distracted her. you owe me $10 ;)

goingoneight
7/10/2006, 09:37 PM
Well believe me, I'm not in any way wanting Boo back, I'm just saying that there was a reason the King endorsed him. Like Jason White said, the University of Oklahoma is a golden oppurtunity for anyone interested or involved with its football program. Boo's problem was he was put on the throne way too early in his career and he let it go to his head. He felt as if he could do no wrong since OU football coaches are highly respected. Then came carelessness... Then came the image that OSU was the football team of Oklahoma. Delivering one more win per year was no way for OU to perform after being such a great power for so long. Stoops did quite possibly the greatest turnaround job in college football history from his arrival to his first crown. OU was on a downward spiral, that have we not offered such a great coach the job, we would probably kiss OU football as we once knew it goodbye. Can you imagine how much it would suck if timing was different and Mack Brown was given the job at OU??? You know damn well where Stoops would have gone... SUC or UT.

Moral of my story, I saw only one good attribute, and that was that Boo sold his program and its history to who he believed would be the next best Sooner. I am personally glad Joe C. said flush him right away. I was a big Sooner fan and I was getting tired of telling people about the great OU moments that happened a decade ago.

badger
7/10/2006, 09:42 PM
NP, i've distracted her. you owe me $10 ;)
:mad:
I would hate you and express my hatred for you, but that would likely result in a personal banning. So... (forced smile) :D

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
7/10/2006, 10:52 PM
I would hate you and express my hatred for you, but that would likely result in a personal banning. So... (forced smile) :D

just so you know, i'm not allowed to ban anyone...

OUstud
7/10/2006, 11:13 PM
until i see video evidence, i will continue to believe blake's ou team never got a punt off.

And when they did...Shankelford The Assaulter to the rescue!

picasso
7/10/2006, 11:22 PM
Well believe me, I'm not in any way wanting Boo back, I'm just saying that there was a reason the King endorsed him. Like Jason White said, the University of Oklahoma is a golden oppurtunity for anyone interested or involved with its football program. Boo's problem was he was put on the throne way too early in his career and he let it go to his head. He felt as if he could do no wrong since OU football coaches are highly respected. Then came carelessness... Then came the image that OSU was the football team of Oklahoma. Delivering one more win per year was no way for OU to perform after being such a great power for so long. Stoops did quite possibly the greatest turnaround job in college football history from his arrival to his first crown. OU was on a downward spiral, that have we not offered such a great coach the job, we would probably kiss OU football as we once knew it goodbye. Can you imagine how much it would suck if timing was different and Mack Brown was given the job at OU??? You know damn well where Stoops would have gone... SUC or UT.

Moral of my story, I saw only one good attribute, and that was that Boo sold his program and its history to who he believed would be the next best Sooner. I am personally glad Joe C. said flush him right away. I was a big Sooner fan and I was getting tired of telling people about the great OU moments that happened a decade ago.

dude, slice it anyway you want but Blake was in over his head. and would still be today. I think Switzer was hungover the day he endorsed Blake.

badger
7/10/2006, 11:39 PM
just so you know, i'm not allowed to ban anyone...
well in THAT case...

ah, forget it. you're not a whorn...

Big Red Ron
7/11/2006, 12:52 AM
Blake = Mack

Given 20 plus years in coaching, I'm sure Blake could stumble upon a single Conference Championship and MNC.

Gandalf_The_Grey
7/11/2006, 04:13 AM
To be fair to Mack...Mack's teams don't EVER look confused against Lousianna Lafeyette...Blake's teams look like they are playing USC regardless of who they are playing ;)

Jason White's Third Knee
7/11/2006, 09:02 AM
Blake is a good recruiter... compared to who? Can we just say that he wasn't an awful recruiter?

He got some good guys and put them in really dumbass positions. We are now getting better players and we have a top program every year.

The 2000 year was magic and had many Blake players, but without Torrance Marshall, we lose to aTm. Without Heupel we lose to most everyone. Not Blake guys.

Taxman71
7/11/2006, 10:19 AM
I also believe the "great recruiter" moniker was never earned by Blake. Did his signing classes rate in the top 5? Did the players turn OU into a top 5 team during his reign? Either way you rank "recruiting", he was not successful.

OUmillenium
7/11/2006, 02:37 PM
We had some OK talent under Blake. He wasn't the best and he wasn't the worst. I did question how said talent was trained, developed, coached, etc. Watching them on the field made me wanna set myself on fire and throw myself off the top of the stadium. It was like watching last year's TCU game every week of the season.
Sorry man, but I'm cracking up at the "set myself on fire and throw myself off the stadium" line! I felt like that last year at the TCU game.Hook 'em

King Crimson
7/11/2006, 02:42 PM
Sorry man, but I'm cracking up at the "set myself on fire and throw myself off the stadium" line! I felt like that last year at the TCU game.Hook 'em

last year's TCU team would have beat any Blake team by 2 TD's at least.

King Crimson
7/11/2006, 02:47 PM
i used to drink with a buddy at Boulder's "World famous" Sink who was a big CU guy on sundays when we both had the day off. we'd talk about the previous day in CFB and halfway watch the NFL and tell lies and BS and flirt with the waitresses, etc.

i'd put walking into the bar the day after OU lost to Tulsa at Owen Field under Blake on par with calling my dad from jail as shame-filled low points in my life.

OUstud
7/11/2006, 02:51 PM
last year's TCU team would have beat any Blake team by 2 TD's at least.

Hell TCU's 1996 losing record team beat us by 2 TDs!

Gandalf_The_Grey
7/11/2006, 03:20 PM
Here is Blake's record last year

TCU we lose a thriller 38-3 Duke Robinson runs for 45 yards on 22 carries
Tulsa we lose a thriller 21-6 (on high note, Rhett Bomar gets first ever interception from his LB position)
UCLA beats us 63-7 (UCLA fumbles in own end zone and defensive tackle Adrian Peterson recovers it for first touchdown of season)
Kansas St. beats us in the boringest game ever 3-0
Texas we lose a thriller 97-3 (Blake says next year will be our year)
Kansas we lose another close one 7-3 (Rufus Alexander is becoming money from anything 25 and closer on field goals. Also Punter C.J. Ah You hasn't had a punt blocked in two full quarters)
Baylor beats us like a government mule 21-3 (Larry Birdine takes over for inefficient Jon Cooper at QB)
Nebraska by virtue of not having Blake wins 21-14(offense starting to come around under freshman qb guidance of Jon Cooper after last week's benching Left Tackle Iglesias gives up 18 sacks as his 165 pound frame can't hold up)
Texas A&M wins a close one 35-6 (Aggies crack 1000 yards....for the game)
Texas Tech wins a close one as Mike Leach cracks the century mark 107-35 (Mike Leach actually kneels down for final quarter)
Oklahoma State and Oklahoma quit playing after 3 days with a 0-0 tie (Rufus Alexander missed chip shot 19 yard field goal in 1st overtime)

Jason White's Third Knee
7/11/2006, 05:26 PM

Tulsa we lose a thriller 21-6 (on high note, Rhett Bomar gets first ever interception from his LB position)
UCLA beats us 63-7 (UCLA fumbles in own end zone and defensive tackle Adrian Peterson recovers it for first touchdown of season)
Kansas we lose another close one 7-3 (Rufus Alexander is becoming money from anything 25 and closer on field goals. Also Punter C.J. Ah You hasn't had a punt blocked in two full quarters)
Baylor beats us like a government mule 21-3 (Larry Birdine takes over for inefficient Jon Cooper at QB)
Nebraska by virtue of not having Blake wins 21-14(offense starting to come around under freshman qb guidance of Jon Cooper after last week's benching Left Tackle Iglesias gives up 18 sacks as his 165 pound frame can't hold up)
Texas Tech wins a close one as Mike Leach cracks the century mark 107-35 (Mike Leach actually kneels down for final quarter)
Oklahoma State and Oklahoma quit playing after 3 days with a 0-0 tie (Rufus Alexander missed chip shot 19 yard field goal in 1st overtime)

Pure ****ing Genius. I busted up many times. Peterson, Rufus and CJ got me laughing pretty good. Damn. I knew there was a reason that I didn't ban you.

Snrfn4ever08
7/11/2006, 05:59 PM

great post, and points for creativity. i think this might have actually had me cracking up a little bit more than the real men of genius clip. spek!!

sooner94
7/11/2006, 06:11 PM

Dude, that is a CLASSIC post. My fave was Iglesias at left tackle.

Gandalf_The_Grey
7/11/2006, 06:39 PM
It wasn't as fun going through it...Brandon Daniels once played 3 positions in 3 weeks ;) And remember when Jarrod Reese was going to lead us back to the promised land. Wasn't it Jarrail Jackson who never playing a down of a QB in practice ended up in a game against Nebraska :P oh Blake gives us so many happy memories

101sooner
7/11/2006, 08:03 PM
Did Jake Sills play against Cal in '98? If so, that would be Brandon Daniels, Patrick Fletcher, Jarrod Reese and Jake Sills in one game. Four fricking QB's, at home, vs. Cal.

I was in the upper deck, and all I could do was sit there and mumble, "just let Fletcher run the damn option". It was like, we sold these "Bring Back the 'Bone" T-shirts, then we actually win a game or two, then 'Tits needs a win vs. Cal to almost guarantee a winning season, then Daniels struggles, then Fletcher runs a smooth option game, then 'Tits and Joe D put in Sills(?) and run something else, then Fletcher runs a smooth option series, then Reese comes in to run the, "we haven't worked on passing the ball...but Fletcher could save my job, but we want to do something else offense."

Gandalf_The_Grey
7/11/2006, 08:18 PM
Remember their audible signal that looked like a timeout call :P

Snrfn4ever08
7/11/2006, 08:45 PM
Remember their audible signal that looked like a timeout call :P
i'm glad that for the most part, i'm too young to remember the blake years

OKC-SLC
7/11/2006, 08:55 PM
Gandalf--the AD at d-line is exactly what was wrong with Blake's program. Nicely struck.

Snrfn4ever08
7/11/2006, 09:18 PM
Gandalf--the AD at d-line is exactly what was wrong with Blake's program. Nicely struck.
i have to agree

goingoneight
7/11/2006, 09:25 PM
Here is Blake's record this year...

Red/White Scrimmage: OU loses. Bad officiating. Starting RB Garrett Hartley injured, Staring QB injured, wide-receivers Ryan Reynolds and Jason Carter wear protective blue jerseys just in case.

UAB: We win a thriller 7-5 after benching ineffective Adrian Peterson.
Washington: We go triple-overtime and lose by a FG because H Reggie Smith fumbles a high snap... at his own 35 yard line.
Oregon: Jon Cooper passes 6-29 with three yards rushing... Boo brings in RB Garrett Hartley to replace injured starter Chase Beeler, tough loss 42-3.
Middle Tennessee: We came, we saw, we conquered... 14-13, DeMarco Murray blocks an extra point attempt, Thriller!!! There's still hope for 13-1!!!
Texas: Backup QB Allen Patrick sacked in the endzone... Texas wins 2-0, Mack moves on with new man, Colt McCoy.

Damn that Texas-hangover!!! :mad:
Iowa State: Throttles OU and game is called after an embarassing rout in 2nd quarter.
Damn that Texas-hangover!!! :mad:

2006 Homecoming Game-- COLORADO!!!
Dan Hawkins seals the deal on his first victory for CU in double-overtime, 6-0. Murray blocked an XP again to give OU a chance, Jon Cooper is intercepted.
Missouri: Gary Pinkel shows flashes of making it without Brad Smith. Newbie QB passes for an ugly 10-35 with 3 rushing touchdowns. ABC changes games at halftime OU down 0-21. Final Score: 21-0 Mizzou.
Texas A&M wins 77-0 in College Station.
Texas Tech wins a close one at their horseshoe-shaped edd-zone, provided at Norman by BIG 12 officiating crew. Rhett Bomar passes 33-41 for 312 yards with two rushing TDs-- for Texas Tech.
Baylor: There is hope to win late in the first quarter, Sooners trail by 24... Jon Cooper is intercepted again, and it kind of gets away from us from there.
Oklahoma State: Mike Gundy is given a $300,000 raise for capping a 1-11 winning season with a 10-8 rout over unranked Oklahoma. Movies are made, books are written, Sports Illustarted declares OSU the 2007 pre-season No. 5-ranked team... in the BIG 12 South.

Meh... I got nothin'...

Gandalf_The_Grey
7/11/2006, 09:29 PM
hahaahahaaahahah Someone should write a book of all the pain enducing moments of the Blake era and write a book about the alternate history of OU football under Blake :P

OUstud
7/12/2006, 12:37 PM
Ever watch the 1996 OU-Fexas game on Classic (the only classic from the Boo era)? Apparently our strategy was to run up to the line as quickly as possible, not audible or check down defenders, and snap it as fast as we could.

badger
7/12/2006, 07:07 PM
it's always the refs...
obligatory blake picture:
http://debab.omaha.com/np_0/medium/1108jbjblake.jpg

Big Red Ron
7/12/2006, 08:10 PM
It wasn't as fun going through it...Brandon Daniels once played 3 positions in 3 weeks ;) And remember when Jarrod Reese was going to lead us back to the promised land. Wasn't it Jarrail Jackson who never playing a down of a QB in practice ended up in a game against Nebraska :P oh Blake gives us so many happy memoriesI wish we would have even tried Reese at QB. I remember the sprorts animal doing a parody on John Lennon's "Just Give Peace a Chance" but with Reese.

He really never got a shot, so he must have been good. Good God how many times did we watch Eric Moore throw a perfect spiral to the receiver's shoes.:O

crimson&cream
7/13/2006, 05:08 PM
Pure ****ing Genius. I busted up many times. Peterson, Rufus and CJ got me laughing pretty good. Damn. I knew there was a reason that I didn't ban you.
Hell, I'm still rolling on the floor laughing. How true tho.

Big Red Ron
7/13/2006, 05:24 PM
it's always the refs...
obligatory blake picture:
http://debab.omaha.com/np_0/medium/1108jbjblake.jpgThat's Rocky behind him. I remember Blake saying that he might play a little RB, seriously.

Soonerpsycho
12/12/2006, 07:25 PM
:pop:

OKC-SLC
12/12/2006, 10:19 PM
Blake can suck it.

sooner518
12/13/2006, 12:40 AM
just curious, but in 3 years, how many QB's did Boo play at OU?

Gandalf_The_Grey
12/13/2006, 12:43 AM
4 years and that number is at least..20 ;)

fadada1
12/13/2006, 09:46 AM
my take:

blake could recruit. big f-ing deal. anyone of us could sell OU to a kid because we love our school. unfortunately, we're not in that position. but i would hazard a guess that we have a few "snake oil salesmen" on this board, and we could land a top recruit or two.

thing is, blake could recruit, but couldn't coach/develop talent if his member card at the all-you-can-eat old country buffet was in jeopardy of being revoked. the list a few pages back is great at pointing out how when coach stoops arrived, 2/3 of the positions changed (most to the other side of the ball). stoops has made more all-americans and all-conference players with kids with solid talent... and a ***-load of guts/heart/determination.

my low point: thankfully i missed the 96 season while on deployment on a big ole ship - the okie state game in 97 was the worst i've ever felt after a game... and the only game i have ever left early. early in the 4th quarter, after our "Nth" turnover, i stormed out of the stadium back to cate. mumbled and cursed the entire way back. sad thing is, i passed at least 50 others doing the exact same thing. most pathetic display of coaching and misguided talent in the history of OU football.

don't let that stellar 5-6 record in 98 fool you. we were just as close to 2-9 as we were to 7-4.

RacerX
12/13/2006, 09:48 AM
Exactly. The win-loss ratio may have improved, but the team hadn't.

Beano's Fourth Chin
12/13/2006, 10:18 AM
I also believe the "great recruiter" moniker was never earned by Blake. Did his signing classes rate in the top 5? Did the players turn OU into a top 5 team during his reign? Either way you rank "recruiting", he was not successful.

Blake's 'great recruiter' moniker was earned. But not by him. Bob earned it for him.

And this isn't to belittle the players that were on campus when Bob got here. They deserve some love. Especially players like Calmus who came just because they love OU.

starrca23
12/13/2006, 10:35 AM
Amen beno

TheHumanAlphabet
12/13/2006, 11:14 AM
Well here's to hopin he likes North Carolina better than the corn of the north... I guess they have better BBQ there...

OklahomaTuba
12/13/2006, 12:06 PM
I wouldn't call that **** BBQ.

TheHumanAlphabet
12/13/2006, 01:46 PM
Yeah, all vinegary and stuff. Not to my tastes...

Gandalf_The_Grey
12/13/2006, 01:48 PM
A better thread title for this thread would have been "Has Blake ever won a conf champ with his own players?"

85sooners
12/21/2010, 09:26 PM
:gary:

Piware
12/21/2010, 09:56 PM

Nor was Sam Bradford.

mdklatt
12/21/2010, 10:11 PM
In retrospect, John Blake was/is a total turd.

badger
12/21/2010, 10:37 PM
awww, a younger badger with fewer posts when she and NP were still engaged... still posting as many pictures and links as possible ;)

OUthunder
12/21/2010, 11:33 PM
John Blake almost destroyed OU football. Thank god we fired his *** when we did.

SOONER STEAKER
12/21/2010, 11:41 PM
Just like Reggie Bush ar USC, John Blake has been erased from the Sooner folklore.

mdklatt
12/21/2010, 11:44 PM
Just like Reggie Bush ar USC, John Blake has been erased from the Sooner folklore.

If only I could erase those games from my memory. :eek:

agoo758
12/22/2010, 12:11 AM
I would like to thank the bumbpers of this thread, very entertaining indeed. Of course I would not discover this great board until three years later. :)

rainiersooner
12/22/2010, 01:39 AM
and true freshman Gerald McCoy (Oklahoma City, Okla.-Southeast) is a man child. When he has his gear on, he needs his birth certificate on hand to prove he is not in his 20s.

I liked that quote!

King Barry's Back
12/22/2010, 08:20 AM
Thanks so much for bumping.

Interesting looking back on that discussion, now that we know why Mr Blake is such a great recruiter?

sooner518
12/22/2010, 09:06 AM
In retrospect, John Blake was/is a total turd.

dont think we need retrospect to tell us that.

Bourbon St Sooner
12/22/2010, 09:14 AM

1/30/2005

Oklahoma

John E. Hoover 581-8384
[email protected]

How many conference titles did that "best in the country" recruiting class win?

King Barry's Back
12/22/2010, 09:28 AM
That thread really brought back memories. Remember when Badj used to post those LLLLLLOOOOOONNNNNGGGGGG messages? :D

Soonermagik
12/22/2010, 09:51 AM
Well... well.. how the tables have turned. Blake could likely be heading toward prison and may never coach again. Stoops just won another championship game without "Blake's" players.

Lott's Bandana
12/22/2010, 10:08 AM
Allan Trimble commenting on sincerity.

:eek:

OUmillenium
12/22/2010, 10:59 AM
easyyyyy

Widescreen
12/22/2010, 01:36 PM
http://www.newsok.com/fiesta-bowl-notebook-bob-stoops-tries-to-keep-upperclassmen-focused/article/3525681

This was from today's DO.

Stoops, on what might have happened had Heupel not come to play quarterback at OU in 1999: “That would be interesting, yeah. I thought we had a ready-made team ready to win a championship. That's what some people have said.”
Gee, wonder who he's referring to? :D

PalmBeachSooner
12/22/2010, 01:50 PM
http://www.newsok.com/fiesta-bowl-notebook-bob-stoops-tries-to-keep-upperclassmen-focused/article/3525681

This was from today's DO.

Gee, wonder who he's referring to? :D

The situation isn't unique to OU.

badger
12/22/2010, 02:00 PM
By the way - never could find the quote in the thread's title. But, there's plenty of others out there:

We weren’t even a couple of years away... I really felt that we had the recruiting class and young talent to turn the program around... I just needed another year.

I’m happy for Bob because sometimes one man’s sacrifice is another man’s gain, and I really believe that. Through the process, I sacrificed a whole lot and took a whole lot of negative things. But if it’s for one man to gain the glory, then I’ll just accept it. That’s fine with me.

Hate on Blake, but the bash-Stoops quotes just aren't out there. The bash-Blake quotes from Bob aren't out there either. He gives some credit to Blake, but he is also unwilling to give total credit to Blake. I think that's fair.

Widescreen
12/22/2010, 02:34 PM
Hate on Blake, but the bash-Stoops quotes just aren't out there. The bash-Blake quotes from Bob aren't out there either. He gives some credit to Blake, but he is also unwilling to give total credit to Blake. I think that's fair.
Blake has taken way too much credit for the 2000 MNC. He was driving our program off the cliff. Plus, there's the whole destroying-our-recruiting-files-on-the-way-out-the-door claim.

ouflak
12/22/2010, 02:39 PM

It was always only heresay, and I think embellished heresay at that. It's natural to want to knock the previous guy and pump up the new one, especially in our case considering the contrast in success for the program. But you will never find any quote from a reliable source that has either of these two men bashing on each other or their relative success before or since. It is just not their style. I thought this then (as is obvious from my posts those many years back) and I think it now.

This thread does bring back some memories though. Back then I was sporting my elite sponsor star. You wouldn't believe some of the PM's I got from chicks on this board just because of that star.

badger
12/22/2010, 02:46 PM
This thread does bring back some memories though. Back then I was sporting my elite sponsor star. You wouldn't some of the PM's I got from chicks on this board just because of that star.

Being able to afford Elite Star = What a catch:hot:

EDIT: Also, if Blake had more success as a coach elsewhere, or had remote levels of success during his time at OU, he might not emphasize it so much. A kid on our Cross Country team had his best year during his froshie season, when he was the last guy out of the varsity race that took the team to state. Due to injuries or perhaps not running hard enough, that is the closest he ever came during his career to going to state... and for that, he did nothing but badmouth the last two runners on that team ever since, saying that he should have been one of the runners on the state team. He was John Blake before John Blake was :(

Aldebaran
12/22/2010, 02:56 PM
I'm all hot and bothered just thinking about being brett favre'd by nasty women on a football message board.

Bourbon St Sooner
12/22/2010, 02:56 PM
This thread does bring back some memories though. Back then I was sporting my elite sponsor star. You wouldn't some of the PM's I got from chicks on this board just because of that star.

You don't want to see the guy that was really sending those sexts.

stoopified
12/22/2010, 03:25 PM

Makes you wonder just where the Sooner program would be if Bob Stoops and staff took over in 1996 instead of John Blake with all the talent that was already in Norman.Great stuff

OUstud
12/22/2010, 03:38 PM
John Blake is a ****ing piece of ****. :pop:

mdklatt
12/22/2010, 08:30 PM
dont think we need retrospect to tell us that.

While acknowledging that he was in way over his head, I actually gave him the benefit of the doubt back in the day. I thought the way he was fired was pretty ****ty. Now I'm mad that it didn't literally involve fire.

85sooners
12/22/2010, 11:16 PM
Blake is dumb

agoo758
5/9/2011, 04:17 PM
In light of Mad Dog's recent post, I thought I would bump this thread. :D

Mad Dog Madsen
5/9/2011, 04:20 PM
http://www.pharfruminsain.com/Graphics/images/free-MrBurnsExcellent.gif

SoonerofAlabama
5/9/2011, 04:22 PM
Didn't Blake steal all of the recruiting records when he left so that the Sooners had to start from scratch? Which is why they recruited Josh Heupel?

agoo758
5/9/2011, 08:19 PM
Didn't Blake steal all of the recruiting records when he left so that the Sooners had to start from scratch? Which is why they recruited Josh Heupel?

Destroyed, not stole. Although they are both just as bad.

agoo758
5/9/2011, 08:23 PM
Blake's 'great recruiter' moniker was earned. But not by him. Bob earned it for him.

And this isn't to belittle the players that were on campus when Bob got here. They deserve some love. Especially players like Calmus who came just because they love OU.

Just my curiosity, did this Beano guy quit the board or something?:confused:

fadada1
5/9/2011, 08:57 PM
way to bring back crappy memories, folks. thanks.;)

the best way to describe the 2 blake years i "enjoyed" - when a slightly tipsy, reformed OU student, who never played organized football, can predict 6-7 plays in a row... from the stands... the coaching staff is in DIRE need of help.

firing blake, very well could have been the most important thing to ever happen to the OU football program.

SoonerofAlabama
5/9/2011, 09:16 PM
Destroyed, not stole. Although they are both just as bad.

And that was the reason we went after an unknown guy from Snow Junior College, correct?

agoo758
5/9/2011, 09:17 PM
Hey look, here is Boo wearing a TIE!!!!!

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/694619-college-football-the-10-worst-coaching-hires-in-history/page/5

OUmillenium
5/10/2011, 08:54 AM
What coach has lived up to his nickname more than "Boo" Blake?

swardboy
5/10/2011, 11:14 AM
Just my curiosity, did this Beano guy quit the board or something?:confused:

I think he grew up.

Now boys, let's see what Cap'n Hook is up to!!!!!

85sooners
5/10/2011, 01:34 PM

badger
5/10/2011, 01:55 PM
It is fun to read my 2006 self again :)

Soooo... have a Blake pic:
http://acc.blogs.starnewsonline.com/files/2010/09/blake.jpg

And some Blake quotin' article fun!

“John said to me, ‘Hey, I’ve set a meeting up with a guy who I really think you need to know, because he’s going to change your world,’ ” Bosworth told Yahoo! Sports. “The only way Gary Wichard got to me was through John Blake. John made it clear that Gary was the only guy I needed to be with. Every meeting that I had with Gary was set up by John. John would even pick me up and take me there, whether it was at a hotel or whatever.

“You have to understand, John was the eyes inside the locker room. He was the fisherman and Gary was the cook. You’ve got to have somebody out there who is going to get the bounty, and Gary’s the one who then goes and sells the bounty. I don’t understand why they would be trying to skirt the truth on that. That is what it was. It was so blatant. … And I know I wasn’t the only player who saw it.

“As time went on, as I realized Gary got Keith [Jackson] out of Oklahoma, then he got Cedric [Jones], and it was like, ‘OK, something’s going on.’ Then Gary got Stephen [Alexander] and then he’s got Aubrey Beavers. I was thinking, ‘OK, there’s a gravy train here, and I hope John isn’t involved in it.’"

Link (http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/feed/2010-08/unc-investigation/story/ex-oklahoma-players-say-john-blake-introduced-them-to-agent)

And what I have long suspected to be a John Blake-related quote:

Chapter 7: Playing the NFL Card
• "There was one guy -- I'm not going to mention his name -- and he'd flash his Super Bowl rings and talk about all these NFL players that he coached. Everybody in the industry knew he was a bad egg and took what he said with a grain of salt.

"I wonder about recruiters when they start bragging on themselves that they got this guy in the league or that they're responsible for getting that guy that much money in the league."

Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=wojciechowski_gene&page=wojciechowski/110105)

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
5/10/2011, 04:06 PM
Nor was Sam Bradford.

So I just have a question about this.

If you strike out on your 10 top targets and settle for a guy that ends up as good as Sam can you consider that person a great recruiter? or lucky as crap?

Sam is a perfect illustration of the problem with boo. The coaches tried everything they could to recruit over, under, around the guy and failed. He was the only one left on their board so they took him and due to other circumstances (think bomar) he was allowed a chance to play and the rest is history.

NormanPride
5/10/2011, 04:29 PM
I'll take it.

agoo758
5/10/2011, 06:32 PM

If you strike out on your 10 top targets and settle for a guy that ends up as good as Sam can you consider that person a great recruiter? or lucky as crap?

Sam is a perfect illustration of the problem with boo. The coaches tried everything they could to recruit over, under, around the guy and failed. He was the only one left on their board so they took him and due to other circumstances (think bomar) he was allowed a chance to play and the rest is history.

Are you calling Bob Stoops a bad recruiter?;) :pop:

JRAM
5/10/2011, 07:12 PM
One just has to look at the history of John Blake to realize that he has not one modicum of brain tissue in his head. He is nothing more than a fat, dumb, idiotic imbecile who cannot do anything with a semblance of sense. Just a fatass loser.

Soonerson1975
5/10/2011, 07:17 PM
Does John Blake have any kids?

agoo758
5/10/2011, 07:47 PM

Did John Blake ever make babies with his own sperm?:pop:

goingoneight
5/10/2011, 08:35 PM

Well, as I read and heard it a few years back... Joey Halzle was the guy we "settled" on after recruiting a few big names (Tebow among them). We needed QBs bad in the aftermath of 2005. PT switched to WR, and grady bailed. We were one Bomaresque situation away from disaster from a QB depth standpoint. Bradford was a guy the coaches were supposedly high on all along from watching him at OU summer camps and stuff.

Granted, his development is probably where we as fans "got lucky." He was a skinny kid who didn't have a lot of hype surrounding his coming to OU. I think a lot of people thought he was just some late pickup ala Broyles or some easy get just because of proximity and his dad being an alum.

stoopified
5/10/2011, 09:03 PM

Sam is a perfect illustration of the problem with boo. The coaches tried everything they could to recruit over, under, around the guy and failed. He was the only one left on their board so they took him and due to other circumstances (think bomar) he was allowed a chance to play and the rest is history.Sam Bradford was a TOP 20 National QB recruit,we didn't SETTLE for him.Bob did however as he does every year try to find a better qb.Bob alawys trys to bring in better players than he already has.Case in point would be recruiting Cam Newton when an experienced Landry was returning,or recruiting Brandon Williams when we already have a stable of RB studs.Likewise we go after scads of LB,WR,DB ,etc recruits when we are loaded alrady.

prrriiide
5/11/2011, 12:58 AM
Sam Bradford was a TOP 20 National QB recruit,we didn't SETTLE for him.Bob did however as he does every year try to find a better qb.Bob alawys trys to bring in better players than he already has.Case in point would be recruiting Cam Newton when an experienced Landry was returning,or recruiting Brandon Williams when we already have a stable of RB studs.Likewise we go after scads of LB,WR,DB ,etc recruits when we are loaded alrady.

And that's what you should do. Look at how thin we were at receiver and TE just a couple of short years ago...all because one or two recruits didn't work out or got injured - the *BAM* we're hurting at receiver. If you keep the cupboard stocked with quality players that's less of an issue.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
5/11/2011, 10:20 AM
Sam Bradford was a TOP 20 National QB recruit,we didn't SETTLE for him.Bob did however as he does every year try to find a better qb.Bob alawys trys to bring in better players than he already has.Case in point would be recruiting Cam Newton when an experienced Landry was returning,or recruiting Brandon Williams when we already have a stable of RB studs.Likewise we go after scads of LB,WR,DB ,etc recruits when we are loaded alrady.

here are my 2 definitions of settled:

1. you go after a lower ranked player and then continue to recruit highly ranked players. if you land one, you then tell the lower ranked player its in their best interest to find somewhere else. this didn't happen with bradford because we struck out on all the other guys, but it did happen with colt mccoy at texas. then the higher ranked guy bailed and they had to furiously suck up to keep him.

2. you slow play a guy for 10 months and then when all of the guys above them on the board bail for other places, you belatedly offer them and land them. this happened at OU with JD Runnells (december offer after selvin young committed to texas) and ryan broyles (late offer as well).

NormanPride
5/11/2011, 10:28 AM
We offered Ryan after we struck out with Julio Jones, right?

Of course, the point is moot if BOTH players were good... I mean, JD was great for us, but I believe Selvin Young would have been great as well. Texas just sucks.

agoo758
6/19/2011, 12:23 AM
This is always a fun bump. Let's do it again! :D

SoonerinSouthlake
6/19/2011, 03:41 AM

he appears to be expecting

silverwheels
6/19/2011, 02:31 PM
We offered Ryan after we struck out with Julio Jones, right?

Of course, the point is moot if BOTH players were good... I mean, JD was great for us, but I believe Selvin Young would have been great as well. Texas just sucks.

Broyles was class of 07, Jones was class of 08.